I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 17, 2024, 10:27:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Does The Time of Day Matter for Dialysis?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Does The Time of Day Matter for Dialysis?  (Read 4801 times)
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« on: September 05, 2006, 07:36:25 PM »

I use to dialyze from 3PM to 5PM.  Now I have switched from 9AM to Noon so that when the time changes I can drive.  I can't see at night to drive.

Anyway, I crashed today!  I think I need to adjust my blood pressure medication that I "usually" take in the mornings to evenings. 

I took my BP medication at 8AM and then went to dialysis.  I thought about it, but did it anyway.  What a wasted day.  I have slept all most all day!  AHHHHHHH

Oh, yeah, today I've been on dialysis 1 year!  I hate it more today than I did a year ago if that is at all possible!   >:D

kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2006, 07:58:14 PM »

Sweetie, it is possible to hate it more everyday  even when the goo days outweigh bad most times.  Wait until you are looking at eight years of it!  You think you are grumpy now, wait a few years.

Yes time does matter on the days you go to dialysis.  5a.m. sucks for me to run on the machine.  I will start to crash half way thorugh treatment.  Later in the day is best for me.  Then the BP meds have had a chance to work and I am fairly coherent when I go in.  Anytime after nine or ten a.m. and better in afternoons.  But then I am wokring and that sets it all up for me to run later.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2006, 08:40:18 PM »

when i first started i was going in at 4:30 pm, hated it, then when i got the early shift, 4:30am, i loved it, i would stay awake until i got there, got my little benadryl and i was out like a light, until the darn dietician would come and wake me up, grrrrrrrr, but i preferred the early morning most of all

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
geoffcamp

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2006, 09:06:56 PM »

I work but even if I didn't I would still perfer the night shift.  I usually get into the unit around 5-5:30PM but have come as late as 6:30PM.  I like it because I normally rest and then go home and sleep off the effects!  By the morning I am ready to get up and go on as usual (well as usual as i can be!).  Plus the dietitians and social workers only make infrequent visits to bug me!  Docs stop by once a month or so.  It was hard for me to find a unit that runs this shift.  In the beginning I had to drive a little over 100 miles round trip to get a night unit and that REALLY sucked!  On dialysis nights I would not get home until after midnight  after working all day too.  Finally a unit got big enough to offer the shift about 4 years ago and I was happy to have it!!!!!  now I am usually home by 9PM.

Geoff.

Geoffrey Campbell
Diagnosed with ESRD at 26
Transplanted in 1999 rejected 2001
In center hemodialysis since late 2001 3X a week 4 hours late evening 3rd shift
Epoman
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

Want to help out? Become a Premium Member today

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2006, 10:21:32 PM »

Well in my years of in-center I have been on all shifts, I liked the fact that on the evening shift started about 6:00pm I would just come home and go to sleep after dialysis that was nice. But I liked the first shift which started about 6:00am that way the rest of the day was all mine, but I hated getting up that early. Probably my favorite shift was 2nd shift which started about 10:00am, that way I wouldn't have to get up early.

But now on NxStage I create my own schedule.

- Epoman
Owner/Administrator
13+ Years In-Center Hemo-Dialysis. (NO Transplant)
Current NxStage & PureFlow User.

Please help us advertise, post our link to other dialysis message boards. You
Joe Paul
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2006, 12:49:00 AM »

I used to be on the late shift, 2-6. I hated it, because it took up most of the day. When I got the phone call asking if I wanted the early shift, I dove on it. I'm now out by 11 am, and , like Epoman says, I now have the rest of the day to do as I please. I think that alone made me feel better.

"The history of discovery is completed by those who don't follow rules"
Angels are with us, but don't take GOD for granted
Transplant Jan. 8, 2010
tamara
Elite Member

WOO HOO NEW KIDNEY PEEING !!!(Transplant 23/10/07)

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2006, 01:01:22 AM »

I usually get on about midnight now that I do nocturnal dialysis I get on the machine as tired as possible because if I dint I wont sleep at all. But before when I was on my 4 hour treatments I would prefer to get on after I had tea about 7.00-8.00pm so I would finish about midnight and then go straight  to bed feeling a bit iffy .But then when I woke up the next morning I would feel all fresh.Listen to your body and how it feels if possible do your treatments when it makes you feel its best.

ABO Incompatible Transplant from my loving Partner 23/10/07
after over four years on the D Machine 

Dialysis Sucks and Transplants Don't.................So Far Anyway !!!!!
Bajanne
Member for Life

Goofynina and Epoman - Gone But Not Forgotten

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2006, 02:18:18 AM »

We only have two shifts on M-W-F and just one on T-T-S.  I go on the second shift on M-W-F and that starts between 11am and 1.  Sometimes when I have to travel, I go to the early shift, which starts about 7am.  I don't seem to find any difference in my feeling after dialysis.

"To be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own ...but that which is based on faith"

I LOVE  my IHD family! :grouphug;
thom

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2006, 04:04:12 AM »

When i started i was on T-T-S 7am - 11am. now i'm on T-T-S 5pm - 9pm. it fits in better with college
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2006, 12:25:44 PM »

when i first started i was going in at 4:30 pm, hated it, then when i got the early shift, 4:30am, i loved it, i would stay awake until i got there, got my little benadryl and i was out like a light, until the darn dietitian would come and wake me up, grrrrrrrr, but i preferred the early morning most of all
Ya that is my shift right now! 4:30pm! And I just can't sleep on the chair :( And then when I come home Sandman is home from work and I can't just go to bed but talk for quite a few hours and check out forum posts. So I usually go to sleep quite late and sleep most of the morning.

When I learn button hole they say I have to change to the morning shift. When I have went in for tests or surgeries I have went on the 6:30/7am shift and I was fine with that as the rest of my day was free but I was tired by the time I would normally talk to Sandman. I think I would love the noon shift best. That way I am not sleeping most of the morning away yet there would still be time to do things afterwards.

FREE Donor List for all Kidney Patients!

diagnosed ESRD 1982
PD 2/90 - 4/90, 5/02 - 6/05
Transplant 4/11/90
Hemo 7/05-present (Inclinic Fres. 2008k 3x/wk MWF)
AlasdairUK

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2006, 03:48:35 PM »

I have done mornings from 7am, but I'm currently doing twilight shifts when I get on the machine at about 6:30 - 7pm. I prefer this as I still work and then relax on the chair for a few hours. I then go home and go to sleep waking up fresh.

I also find the patients who go in the evening are normally more stable and the shift seems to run more smoothly.

94 - PD for 3 months
94 - HD Permcath for 3 months
95 - RLD Transplant 10 years
2005 - HD Permcath 6 months
2006 - 2008 HDF Fistula
2008 - 2nd Transplant
Rerun
Member for Life

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2006, 04:58:40 PM »

Well CRAP.......no one told me this and now I'm stuck on mornings because "I" requested it.  God I feel like crap today.  Maybe my body will adjust.  I can't drive at night, so it is either mornings or try and get rides......In the summer I can drive myself evening shift.  I hope I adjust to this.  What a wasted day!

angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2006, 05:29:05 PM »

Don't feel bad. Every shift has its advantages ;)

FREE Donor List for all Kidney Patients!

diagnosed ESRD 1982
PD 2/90 - 4/90, 5/02 - 6/05
Transplant 4/11/90
Hemo 7/05-present (Inclinic Fres. 2008k 3x/wk MWF)
meadowlandsnj

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2006, 04:42:24 PM »

I've been on all shifts but I like the one I'm on now 10am to 2pm.  The best nurse crew is on then and the doctors I like do their rounds at this time.  I have something to eat about 8am now then leave at 9:30 or so.  I usually get home about 3pm so I some time to do what I have to do before dinner. 

Facebook: DonnaMarieMenard
Rerun
Member for Life

« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2006, 07:25:43 PM »

I've been on all shifts but I like the one I'm on now 10am to 2pm.  The best nurse crew is on then and the doctors I like do their rounds at this time.  I have something to eat about 8am now then leave at 9:30 or so.  I usually get home about 3pm so I some time to do what I have to do before dinner. 

So, you feel good enough to do something after you get home?  Well then there is hope.   :thx;

Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2006, 09:06:08 PM »

When I began dialysis I was on the 9 am shift.  It was too noisy for me.

I moved to the 5 am shift, and was there for about three years.  I would go to work afterwards ... but would get "punchy" by about 3 pm, even though I had to work till 7 pm.

I agreed to cut my time from five hours to four hours so I could dialyze on the later shift ... and I have been on that shift since the late 1980s (and have since increased to a 4 .5 hour treatment).

And I sleep off the effects of the treatment.  Sometimes sleep is not throughout the night, but when I'm really tired ... boom.  Right to sleep.      :)
« Last Edit: September 29, 2006, 08:20:59 PM by Zach » Logged

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
Rerun
Member for Life

« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2006, 11:38:06 PM »

Yes, I think I'll regret going to mornings, but at this point I don't have a choice because it will be getting dark earlier soon and I can't drive at night.  But, next April???  I'm going back to evenings.   :angel;

okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2007, 09:51:35 PM »

Looking back I wonder if it was a bad idea for Jenna to go in from 4 to 7:30 PM. She would sleep through dialysis, then be up til 3 or 4 AM. Then she'd sleep til noon, then sometimes she's be awake til late that night. Her sleep seemed to be no pattern whatsover.

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »