I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 07, 2024, 08:20:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Help me get up the guts to stick myself with those needles.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Help me get up the guts to stick myself with those needles.  (Read 8152 times)
Dan.Larrabee

Dialysis Dan

« on: March 10, 2009, 02:28:53 AM »

Ok, I am not scared of needles, I have been diabetic for 28 years. I have a fairly high pain tolerance, but I still use the cream. No fistula was possible, so I now have a graft. I know I cannot use button holes with a graft, so it sharp sticks all the way. My wife is a cardiac nurse and she is a pro at starting IV’s. When we were in home hemo training, she stuck me the first time and has never missed. You should see my track lines, perfectly strait and no aneurisms. I don’t think I could have a spot on my graft that has not been used.

I guess I am saying that my wife is so good, I don’t want to go backwards and go through any bad sticks. I do want to stick myself because that is the only thing I cannot do for myself. I have read many of the caregiver’s forms and see that my wife really needs a break. Also, sometimes she does not get home from work until late and it makes a later night for both of us.
I just can’t get up the guts. I would love to have her come home one night and find me almost done with a treatment.

What tricks does everyone have?
How did you do it the first time?
How do you get the odd angle?

AKA Dialysis Dan
Feeling the best I can because of Home Hemo
Doing it the best way I can by making it Nocturnal
Sharing it to help everyone feel they best they can
www.youtube.com/dialysisdan
Wenchie58
Elite Member

Always carrying the big silly grin!

« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2009, 02:47:22 AM »

I have no experience with this Dan, but like anything else, I bet after you get through the first time "the virgin voyage", you'll think...holy cow...what was I stressing about!?   Good luck on your mission!

Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning Satan shudders and says "Oh s**t, she's awake!"

Right nephrectomy 1963
Diagnosed ESRD 2007
"Listed" summer 2007
Transplant 3/6 match  10/24/08
Slywalker

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2009, 05:00:30 AM »

Hi Dan - I don't have any experience with that either - I just want to give you some moral support.

I bet the first time is the hardest.  Hang in there.

Sandyb

:bunny:
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2009, 05:22:10 AM »

Dan,first of all, is it possible to get hold of a piece of the material they use for the graft, so that you can practice on it to get the feel of how the needle enters it?  I've never had a grafft so can't speak to that but I've always done my own sticks.  I started at first by pinching myself hard to simulate how it might feel in terms of pain and found that if someone else were to pinch me it would hurt but that I can inflict quite a lot on myself.  I've had both a forearm fistula and an upper arm one.  The angles are trickier on the upper arm and at first I thought impossible but I soon got used to what was needed.  I've never used the Emla cream but if you need to do that at first, you can.  I find that I need to "feel" where the needle is going and lidocaine used to (the only 2 times I had it) make my fistula seem to shrink away a bit.  For me, the "pain" is less when I stick myself because I'm concentrating so hard and if it hurts I can slow it down and breathe my way through it but I've never found the pain that bad anyhow.
Perhaps you could start with one needle and have your wife guide you verbally as to angle and such.  You are very wise to ladder your sticks consistently and thus avoid aneurysms, that was my primary reason for insisting on doing it myself the first time.  The second time I used buttonholes, always with blunts once established, but that's definitely not an option for you. 
Best of luck Dan and I say you just have to bite the bullet and try it.  Soon you'll be as good as your wife and it sounds like she could really be a great teacher and guide for you.

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
Wallyz

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2009, 05:05:07 PM »

Suck it up, Cream Puff! Be a man! Cowboy up! Grow  a pair, ya nancy!  What are you, a man or a boy? Wait, don't answer that- I can smell your diaper from here! ;D

I'm just kidding.  I am able to channel my HS rugby coach on demand.

I would get a practice graft, have your wife explain t as best she can, and have her coach you the first couple times you practice, and coach you when you start on our own graft.

del
Elite Member

del and willowtreewren meet

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2009, 05:12:31 PM »

Hubby has a fistula so I don't know what a graft is like. I know that one nurse gave us a piece of plastic hose to practice on. It was like a piece off one of the blood lines that go on the machine .  Don't know if that would help to practice sticking for a graft too.

Don't take your organs to heaven.  Heaven knows we need them here.
twirl
Member for Life

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2009, 11:05:38 AM »

needles hurt rather you have a penis or not -
that does not make you less of a man
« Last Edit: March 12, 2009, 11:13:46 AM by twirl » Logged
paul.karen
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2009, 11:43:42 AM »

LOL Wally

Dan good luck.
All i can say is you will never know how easy or hard it is until you have done it.

As Nike would say.
Just Do It.

Ps.  the needle in the picture you placed.  Is that the actualy size??

Curiosity killed the cat
Satisfaction brought it back

Operation for PD placement 7-14-09
Training for cycler 7-28-09

Started home dialysis using Baxter homechoice
8-7-09
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2009, 11:48:26 AM »

I started with a 16 gauge needle  but quickly worked up to a 15 gauge which is standard.  Not sure which that is in the photo.

(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Tinah1968
Elite Member

ME

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2009, 12:26:31 PM »

I also do not have a graft i have a Fistula.. but, I wanted to give you moral support as well....  :2thumbsup;

Tina
Fistula Oct 2007
Started Dialysis May 22, 2009
swramsay

My son, Scotland, is my heartbeat.

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2009, 08:59:53 PM »

Ok, I am not scared of needles, I have been diabetic for 28 years. I have a fairly high pain tolerance, but I still use the cream. No fistula was possible, so I now have a graft. I know I cannot use button holes with a graft, so it sharp sticks all the way. My wife is a cardiac nurse and she is a pro at starting IV’s. When we were in home hemo training, she stuck me the first time and has never missed. You should see my track lines, perfectly strait and no aneurisms. I don’t think I could have a spot on my graft that has not been used.

I guess I am saying that my wife is so good, I don’t want to go backwards and go through any bad sticks. I do want to stick myself because that is the only thing I cannot do for myself. I have read many of the caregiver’s forms and see that my wife really needs a break. Also, sometimes she does not get home from work until late and it makes a later night for both of us.
I just can’t get up the guts. I would love to have her come home one night and find me almost done with a treatment.

Hi Dan. The only problem you had was that you waited too long. It's really not a big deal. I just started using my fistula and started my own needles during home training 2 weeks later. The thought of doing it really bothered me so I just wouldn't let myself think about it. I simply decided to do my needles and turned off the mental switch. I knew I had to begin at some point and waiting was only going to make it worse. If other people could do it, then I could. That's all I needed to know. It was that simple. No eeewwww, or "I can't" or "I don't want to".... I HAD to so I DID. And the rest was history. I'm no pro yet - only been doing this for a couple of weeks but I'm doing it and glad I am.

Just turn off the mind switch and put it in cruise control. Just do it. You'll be fine and sad that you didn't start sooner.

Wendy

JUST KEEP GOING.
March 2009: NxStage Pureflow Home Dialysis 5-6 x's week
Sept 2008: In center dialysis
Sept 2008: Left kidney removed (bladder cancer)
April 2006: Right kidney removed (bladder cancer). Chemo for lymph node mets.
April 2004: Bladder removed plus hysterectomy & neobladder made (bladder cancer)
Feb 1994: Original bladder cancer diagnosis & beginning of this journey

www.marykay.com/wramsay
paddbear0000
Elite Member

Dogs & IHDer's are always glad to see you!

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2009, 09:18:46 PM »

I can't really offer any advice either as today was my first day even being stuck. Man, I sure wish I had seen this thread before now because it wouldn't have been such a shock seeing the size of the needle! All I can tell you is that my nurse told me you feel a pop when the needle goes into the graft.  :cuddle;

I HAVE DESIGNED CKD RELATED PRODUCTS FOR SALE TO BENEFIT THE NKF'S 2009 DAYTON KIDNEY WALK (I'M A TEAM CAPTAIN)! CHECK IT OUT @ www.cafepress.com/RetroDogDesigns!!

...or sponsor me at http://walk.kidney.org/goto/janetschnittger
Twitter.com/NKFKidneyWalker
www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1659267443&ref=nf 
www.caringbridge.org/visit/janetschnittger

Diagnosed type 1 diabetic at age 6, CKD (stage 3) diagnosed at 28 after hospital error a year before, started dialysis February '09. Listed for kidney/pancreas transplant at Ohio State & Univ. of Cincinnati.
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2009, 01:15:25 PM »

Hi Dan. The only problem you had was that you waited too long. It's really not a big deal. I just started using my fistula and started my own needles during home training 2 weeks later. The thought of doing it really bothered me so I just wouldn't let myself think about it. I simply decided to do my needles and turned off the mental switch. I knew I had to begin at some point and waiting was only going to make it worse. If other people could do it, then I could. That's all I needed to know. It was that simple. No eeewwww, or "I can't" or "I don't want to".... I HAD to so I DID. And the rest was history. I'm no pro yet - only been doing this for a couple of weeks but I'm doing it and glad I am.

Just turn off the mind switch and put it in cruise control. Just do it. You'll be fine and sad that you didn't start sooner.

Wendy

Excellent advice Wendy.  My mantra always was "If anyone in the world is going to shove steel needles in me, then it'll be me, myself and only me."  Needing control over things didn't hurt either.

(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
petey

MEMBER BANNED

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2009, 04:22:03 PM »

My Marvin thinks all dialysis folks who self-cannulate are brave, brave souls.  He's been on hemo for the better part of 14 years (three-year break in the middle with a transplant), and he has NEVER, never, not one single time even LOOKED during cannulation.  Once the needles are in, he looks (it's not the blood that gets him).  Now that we're on home hemo, I do all the cannulating.  I don't enjoy that part of the process one bit (I don't want to hurt him and I'm scared to death that I'll infiltrate), but that's the only part of the whole dialysis thing that I don't feel 100% confident about.  I don't let Marvin know that I'm nervous about it because I know he just can't do this for himself.

When cannulating, I say a quick prayer, suck up my nervousness, and go for it!  Marvin always tells me, "Babe, you're good!" after I cannulate.  I think he's just saying that.  Marvin has a fistula, and we use buttonholes and 15-gauge needles (blunt).  Marvin also has a nerve (a very sensitive nerve) that runs right smack dab across his arterial buttonhole.  Once in a while (maybe once a month), his arterial buttonhole will close up on us after a day off and I have to use a sharp.  This is weird, but I'm not nearly as nervous when using the sharp needle as I am when using the blunt.  Why is that?

You can do this, Dan!  And, hey, if you can't, you've still got a great sticker in your wife.  You're lucky!
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2009, 06:18:16 PM »

The mental hurdle the first time is bigger than the actual pain caused by the stinkin' needles!  Take a deep breath, and repeat to yourself - "I can do this, I will do this, I'm doing this!"

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

paddbear0000
Elite Member

« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2009, 08:33:50 PM »

My needle stick on Saturday didn't hurt one bit. But then again, that was my very first one and i will probably have thousands more.

I HAVE DESIGNED CKD RELATED PRODUCTS FOR SALE TO BENEFIT THE NKF'S 2009 DAYTON KIDNEY WALK (I'M A TEAM CAPTAIN)! CHECK IT OUT @ www.cafepress.com/RetroDogDesigns!!

Diagnosed type 1 diabetic at age 6, CKD (stage 3) diagnosed at 28 after hospital error a year before, started dialysis February '09. Listed for kidney/pancreas transplant at Ohio State & Univ. of Cincinnati.
Lucinda

Life is great!

« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2009, 10:29:31 PM »

Hey Dan...I am doing my home training now and just learning my needles.  -When you first start with your own needles help your wife direct the needles in.  I have a graft and I believe they are easier than fistula to access.  I haven't done it totally on my own yet but certainly not fussed to give it a go.  First you have to watch the needles go in, then that is one big hurdle out of the way.  Give it a go and let us know how you go. x
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2009, 04:34:40 PM »

Wait till they hit a nerve.  I cried the first time a nerve was hit.  Now I just try to find the position where it will not throb all night and stay there.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Jay72

« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2009, 07:25:21 PM »

The picture of the needle is a 17ga.  Green is always 17, and 15 is blue.

Good luck, and once you do it you will be suprised how easy it is, and then once you get good at it, you won't want anyone else to ever poke you.
kellyt
Elite Member

« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2009, 08:02:39 PM »

Good Luck!  You can do it!   :2thumbsup;

1993 diagnosed with glomerulonephritis.
Oct 41, 2007 - Got fistula placed.
Feb 13, 2008 - Activated on "the list".
Nov 5, 2008 - Received living donor transplant from my sister-in-law, Etta.
Nov 5, 2011 - THREE YEARS POST TRANSPLANT!  :D
Dan.Larrabee

Dialysis Dan

« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2009, 09:44:13 PM »

Thanks everyone! I will just "Do it". Tomorrow's the day.....

AKA Dialysis Dan
paddbear0000
Elite Member

« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2009, 10:26:46 AM »

The picture of the needle is a 17ga.  Green is always 17, and 15 is blue.

Good luck, and once you do it you will be suprised how easy it is, and then once you get good at it, you won't want anyone else to ever poke you.

At my hospital clinic, 17g are pink and 16g are green. I don't know what color 15g are because I haven't used that size yet.

Dan.Larrabee

Dialysis Dan

« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2009, 11:51:21 PM »

Ok, I did it and y'all were right, NO BIG DEAL. I did use a few tricks and I will post pictures later. Thanks again everyone!!

BTW, 15g are blue - thats what I use.

hi everyone, i'm dan's wife...he did awesome!! i was very proud of him..he said he did much better than i ever did lol!

AKA Dialysis Dan
Wattle
Elite Member

« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2009, 11:53:32 PM »

:cheer: :cheer: :cheer:  Wooohoooo

I am so proud of you. That is a great achievement.   :cuddle;

PKD
June 2005 Commenced PD Dialysis
July 13th 2009 Cadaveric 5/6 Antigen Match Transplant from my Special Angel
kimcanada
Elite Member

« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2009, 04:11:06 AM »

WOW, what a great thread... I read it from start to finish and was VERY excited to see you did it!

I will be in the same position as you Dan very soon

http://www.kimhoben.com
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »