I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 06, 2024, 05:41:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  How do things taste?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: How do things taste?  (Read 1494 times)
Jodis Dad

« on: February 24, 2009, 01:50:15 AM »

After being on dialysis for several years, my father has lost is sense of taste.  Has anybody else experienced this? If so what type of food/recipes taste good to you?

:grouphug;

EDITED: Color tags-kitkatz,Moderator
« Last Edit: February 24, 2009, 03:03:19 PM by kitkatz » Logged
peleroja
Elite Member

I have 16 hats, all the same style!

« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2009, 07:54:59 AM »

Periodically I find that things just don't taste "right" any more.  Luckily this only lasts a few days.  I heard somewhere that taste is actually about 90% smell.  Does he have a problem with his nose?  That's all I can come up with for now; hope others know more. 
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2009, 03:04:19 PM »

I find smells drive me absolutely crazy. The kitty boxes have to be changed regularly or I am unhappy.  Any strange smell I have to find and eliminate in the house.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
BigSteve

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2009, 03:43:51 PM »

My sense of taste has definately changed since dialysis, both hemo and PD. For all my life I have eaten almost anything which
is why I am BigSteve. Now many foods just don't appeal to me especially mixed foods such as a risotto dish, or gumbo.
A friend made cassolet, the French bean cassorole dish, and it was an effort to be polite and finish my plate.

"I yam what I yam what I yam." Popeye's immortal words.
"Getting and spending we lay waste our powers"
If it's too big to fail, it's too big to exist.
Jodis Dad

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2009, 06:07:14 PM »

Steve,

Have you been on dialysis long?  My father had been on it for about 5/6 years.  He once loved all food but now can hardly bring himself to eat.  We are alway trying new foods or foods he once loved but have not found anything he likes.  Please be careful because my father was also a big man and topped the scales at around 320 lbs and as of last week he now only weighed 165 lbs.  Its important that you continue to find foods you will and can eat
BigSteve

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2009, 04:53:43 PM »

I have been on dialysis since Dec. 07, first on hemo and now on PD. I initially lost some weight, but I have been stable for
a while. I still eat a couple of meals daily, and with the colories absorbed with PD I keep within 6-7 lbs of my target weight of

"I yam what I yam what I yam." Popeye's immortal words.
"Getting and spending we lay waste our powers"
If it's too big to fail, it's too big to exist.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »