I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 10, 2024, 06:22:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Centers
| | |-+  meeting with someone important this week
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: meeting with someone important this week  (Read 18635 times)
dialysisbiller

« on: February 16, 2009, 06:55:48 PM »

on wednesday, i will be in a meeting that i can ask pretty much any question... what would you ask a senior VP for your dialysis company? and as a patient what one thing would you ask or want to see changed at your center?

i actually have a couple in mind, one has to do with therapy dogs as greeters on a volunteer basis... any thoughts on that? i don't work at a center but at the business office and am interested in helping patients somehow (just not sure how and am hoping patients here can give me some ideas)
Bill Peckham
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2009, 07:36:33 PM »

I'm definitely pro dog. I assume at some point I'll have an assist dog to be there during selfdialysis, but I am not sure all patients would want to see a dog in the waiting room (I would, if I had to spend time waiting for a chair or ride). The issue to remember is that people have to come to dialysis there is no way to opt out of unit wide bingo, popcorn Friday or visits by Bobo the clown. And some people are absolutely anti dog.

What can be done is to make the unit more like a library and less like a video arcade. This primarily means mandatory headphone use for the TVs and separate pathway and task lighting. In my experience DaVita units are notorious for leaving banks of florescent lights on over the dialysis chair for the duration of the treatment. That is bad design. These lights need to be separately switched, while separate pathway lighting need the egg crate covers to prevent side glare. The final piece is that alarms are answered and muted promptly. Calm. Units should try to be calm.

http://www.billpeckham.com  "Dialysis from the sharp end of the needle" tracking  industry news and trends - in advocacy, reimbursement, politics and the provision of dialysis
Incenter Hemodialysis: 1990 - 2001
Home Hemodialysis: 2001 - Present
NxStage System One Cycler 2007 - Present
        * 4 to 6 days a week 30 Liters (using PureFlow) @ ~250 Qb ~ 8 hour per treatment FF~28
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2009, 07:45:45 PM »

What can be done is to make the unit more like a library and less like a video arcade. This primarily means mandatory headphone use for the TVs and separate pathway and task lighting. In my experience DaVita units are notorious for leaving banks of florescent lights on over the dialysis chair for the duration of the treatment. That is bad design. These lights need to be separately switched, while separate pathway lighting need the egg crate covers to prevent side glare. The final piece is that alarms are answered and muted promptly. Calm. Units should try to be calm.

Excellent point Bill.

8)

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2009, 07:51:26 PM »

I want to make sure these Tech are competent and tested at least annually and that protocol is used by EVERY tech and Nurse and not just when someone is looking. 

Maybe have Secret Shoppers for dialysis patients.  I will be one.  I'll fly to different centers and be a patient and then write them up for non-compliance!

:rofl;

Anyway, my real question would be on competency of the employees.  I honestly have been asking myself lately "Where Do they get these people"?

Wallyz

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2009, 09:07:43 PM »

What are we doing to increase the number of patients at home, doing extended therapy dialysis?
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2009, 10:42:35 PM »

In college, every semester we have to give a review of our instructor using a 1 thru 5 scale and then and area for either complaints or praises of a certain person. In the unit I was going to though, they never wore name tags and you had to learn their names by either them telling you and having to try to remember it or listen when someone calls for them..

Then there is the dietician, those darn smiley face reports! We are adults, not kids, give use the real report in numbers!

Billingwise, how about a statement for patients, unless that is done already. I never got one since it was billed to Medicare, but reading some of the Medicare records would be nice to match up with a statement, sort of like a debit card purchase and aligning it up with a bank statement online.

Diabetes -  age 7

Neuropathy in legs age 10

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
   -glaucoma and surgery for that
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Diagnosed with ESRD June 29, 1999
1st Dialysis - July 4, 1999
Last Dialysis - December 2, 2000

Kidney and Pancreas Transplant - December 3, 2000

Cataract Surgery on good eye - June 24, 2009
Knee Surgery 2010
2011/2012 in process of getting a guide dog
Guide Dog Training begins July 2, 2012 in NY
Guide Dog by end of July 2012
Next eye surgery late 2012 or 2013 if I feel like it
Home with Guide dog - July 27, 2012
Knee Surgery #2 - Oct 15, 2012
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012
Lifes Adventures -  Priceless

No two day's are the same, are they?
Stacy Without An E

God's Action Figure

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2009, 03:44:12 PM »

How about another layer of compliance for patients?  I'm speaking of being forced to be tied down in a chair next to patients who fail to shower.  Or wear their shoes.  Or scream into their cell phones about their anal warts.  Or throw their feces all over the bathroom walls.

You get the idea.

There should be certain requirements that speak to common sense and courtesy.

Try putting up with weekly treatments at my clinic with the animalistic antics I'm forced to deal with and you'll demand these type of rules.

Stacy Without An E

1st Kidney Transplant: May 1983
2nd Kidney Transplant: January 1996
3rd Kidney Transplant: Any day now.

The Adventures of Stacy Without An E
stacywithoutane.blogspot.com

Dialysis.  Two needles.  One machine.  No compassion.
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2009, 03:59:43 PM »

How about another layer of compliance for patients?  I'm speaking of being forced to be tied down in a chair next to patients who fail to shower.  Or wear their shoes.  Or scream into their cell phones about their anal warts.  Or throw their feces all over the bathroom walls.

Good God Stacy, is this for real?  Staff should definitely be trying to put some basic standards in place.  I've never experienced anything remotely similar to what you describe and I have a pretty good sense of smell.  The worst I've had to complain about was feeling like I was working in an office setting in Romania since a patient talked in a very loud voice to his mother and assorted other relatives for close to two solid hours.  At some point he was on two phones at once, his cell and the clinic's land line.  I told him that I found it ridiculous and inconsiderate, he apologized, said I should have told him earlier I was unhappy and that was it.  There's also of course the perennial issue of men who dribble but that seems to be a law of nature or something.

They should tell  patients that a failure to be scrupulously scrubbed while dialyzing will definitely lead to premature death (possibly at the hands of a fellow patient but they needn't add the last part)!!!!!

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
dialysisbiller

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2009, 04:31:33 PM »

wow stacy i'm somewhat speechless after that one.

i'll be putting together a list to bring in with me tomorrow and give an update as soon as i can

i believe the centers are supposed to do surveys at the center level. if you don't get one, let me know and let me know the center name please
dialysisbiller

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2009, 04:35:06 PM »

i know there are some anti dog people out there but if you liked it the volunteer could be there for those who do like it (at least that was my thought on it)

EDITED:Fixed quote tag errors-kitkatz,Moderator
« Last Edit: February 17, 2009, 04:49:37 PM by kitkatz » Logged
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2009, 04:50:37 PM »

Oh my God! The lights in dialysis centers are so ridiculous. Why do I need a spotlight right over me for four to eight hours?

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
kellyt
Elite Member

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2009, 04:56:23 PM »

"And now, please welcome to the dialysis floor, Kitkaz!!!!!"    :rofl;      Hey, if they're going to put you in the "spotlight", take the time to sing and dance a little!   :clap;

1993 diagnosed with glomerulonephritis.
Oct 41, 2007 - Got fistula placed.
Feb 13, 2008 - Activated on "the list".
Nov 5, 2008 - Received living donor transplant from my sister-in-law, Etta.
Nov 5, 2011 - THREE YEARS POST TRANSPLANT!  :D
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2009, 05:18:05 PM »

Why do I need a spotlight right over me?

"Where were you on the night of February 5th??"

Seriously though, I agree with others that the center needs to be comfortable, safe and user friendly. Dialysis patients are people on necessary life support, but they are also your customers and should be treated with dignity. Staff should get good training regarding dialysis, and some customer service and sensitivity training too.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2009, 05:23:48 PM by okarol » Logged

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
Dan.Larrabee

Dialysis Dan

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2009, 06:05:26 PM »

How about turning up the heat.

AKA Dialysis Dan
Feeling the best I can because of Home Hemo
Doing it the best way I can by making it Nocturnal
Sharing it to help everyone feel they best they can
www.youtube.com/dialysisdan
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2009, 06:24:55 PM »

Amen, turn up that heat! So I want the lighting fixed and the heat turned up, not much to ask for, plus the dignity I deserve as a human being.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
dialysisbiller

« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2009, 07:50:18 PM »

lights dimmer, heat "ON"... check!

I'm not a nurse but with some medical training(tiny bit) in my background as far as sterile invironments are concerned, heat breeds bacteria, that might be why it's not as warm as you'd like it to be. Perhaps a nurse can answer that question better than me.

I think if you understand why things are done the way they are, it might make you feel better as a patient, specially if it comes to stuff like that.

Not sure why you gotta be under such lighting and all i can think is for visibility but once you're set up and machine running i would think the lights can be dimmed a bit over each chair...... again, a nurse who works in a center might be able to help with that

you guys make me want to go from the business office to the center to work now! i feel like i'm from another planet when it comes to patient care. :)

gosh, i was going to say something REALLY wishy washy and then everyone woulda thought i'm such a sap.... but keep the ideas coming, who knows, maybe someday i'll get to travel to centers and report up to someone to change somethings and really impact patients on a personal level.

I know you guys think that these bigger companies are all about the money etc etc, but there are others like me who want to make a difference, no one asked to be on dialysis the least i can do is try to make it better. (oh look at me, all silly tired and rambling on and on)
glitter
Elite Member

« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2009, 07:59:58 PM »

how about no screaming across the room to other employees? At my husbands unit they seem gleeful when they wake the patients up. They slam garbage can lids, laugh hysterically etc. when the patients complain, they are pretty much ignored. He was actually told by staff one day that it wasn't a place to sleep. No consideration for people who feel ill at all. We live in a rural area so he doesn't have too many center choices, and this is the only one that offers evenings for 80 miles so he is stuck.

Jack A Adams July 2, 1957--Feb. 28, 2009
I will miss him- FOREVER

caregiver to Jack (he was on dialysis)
RCC
nephrectomy april13,2006
dialysis april 14,2006
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2009, 03:08:53 AM »

i know there are some anti dog people out there but if you liked it the volunteer could be there for those who do like it (at least that was my thought on it)

EDITED:Fixed quote tag errors-kitkatz,Moderator

The thing is, these dogs won't be loose. The volunteer can sit in a corner with the dog sitting or laying to be petted or nuzzle up against you. While in a hospital setting, if it is a small dog or cat, the leash will be taken off so the pet can lay on the bed next to you with the door closed or slightly closed all the way. Basically a center would need to read up on what volunteer therapy dogs do and do not do before making a rash decision. The pet's safety is also a consideration. Before any patient could have access, the pet must be acclimated with the settings and smells.  But I think this would be hard to do to be fair with other patient time slots

Diabetes -  age 7

Neuropathy in legs age 10

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
   -glaucoma and surgery for that
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Diagnosed with ESRD June 29, 1999
1st Dialysis - July 4, 1999
Last Dialysis - December 2, 2000

Kidney and Pancreas Transplant - December 3, 2000

Cataract Surgery on good eye - June 24, 2009
Knee Surgery 2010
2011/2012 in process of getting a guide dog
Guide Dog Training begins July 2, 2012 in NY
Guide Dog by end of July 2012
Next eye surgery late 2012 or 2013 if I feel like it
Home with Guide dog - July 27, 2012
Knee Surgery #2 - Oct 15, 2012
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012
Lifes Adventures -  Priceless

No two day's are the same, are they?
pam49

« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2009, 03:40:46 AM »

Some of the techs at my dialysis center move soooo slow like we have all day and nothing else to do.One time it took a tech almost 30 minutes to hook me up.I have a port in my chest I could have done it in less than 10.They just kept walking away to do other stupid things.

with God all things are possible!
Find beauty in all things
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2009, 04:44:11 PM »

Hate it when they do that! Hook me up dammit and get on with the torture already!

lifenotonthelist.com

okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2009, 12:37:18 AM »

Some of the techs at my dialysis center move soooo slow like we have all day and nothing else to do.One time it took a tech almost 30 minutes to hook me up.I have a port in my chest I could have done it in less than 10.They just kept walking away to do other stupid things.

Yes, but if YOU are late, oh boy! No forgiveness.

twirl
Member for Life

« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2009, 03:52:29 PM »

I would like to do away with the bone bucks and the pre-k activities.
I would like notural dialysis.
I would like to eat a snack.
I would like to sit by someone I like.
I would like to be able to use a lap top.
I would like to decide what rating of a movie I watch- R is not too mature for me
I would like to have techs who really care about us and do not complain if they have to fold out blankets---- which they stopped doing--
and the list could go on but this is depressing me
oh, I'd like my husband to be able to come in and talk to me----- no visitors allowed rather patients are being hooked up or not
kidney_beanz

« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2009, 05:23:34 AM »

how about no screaming across the room to other employees? At my husbands unit they seem gleeful when they wake the patients up. They slam garbage can lids, laugh hysterically etc. when the patients complain, they are pretty much ignored. He was actually told by staff one day that it wasn't a place to sleep. No consideration for people who feel ill at all. We live in a rural area so he doesn't have too many center choices, and this is the only one that offers evenings for 80 miles so he is stuck.

Hi glitter!  I think we live in the same area (I searched for other members in Florida)  :waving;.  The clinic where I dialyze can also be quite noisy at times!  If the staff members aren't helpful regarding your husband's complaint, you should talk to the administrator or the nurse in charge.  I've had problems at the clinic in the past that couldn't be resolved by a staff member, but the charge nurse took my complaint more seriously.  I usually manage to snooze despite the noise, wearing ear plugs sure helps! 
glitter
Elite Member

« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2009, 10:25:33 AM »

He did write a letter once when it was intolerable, and it did help for a few weeks, but  if he has to stay constanly on their case- it would just become another source of anxiety for him- its easier to just bear it. Its just that he shouldn't have to. Where are you from in florida?

Jack A Adams July 2, 1957--Feb. 28, 2009
I will miss him- FOREVER

caregiver to Jack (he was on dialysis)
RCC
nephrectomy april13,2006
dialysis april 14,2006
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2009, 11:21:30 AM »

Hi glitter!  I think we live in the same area (I searched for other members in Florida)  :waving;.  The clinic where I dialyze can also be quite noisy at times!  If the staff members aren't helpful regarding your husband's complaint, you should talk to the administrator or the nurse in charge.  I've had problems at the clinic in the past that couldn't be resolved by a staff member, but the charge nurse took my complaint more seriously.  I usually manage to snooze despite the noise, wearing ear plugs sure helps! 

kidney_beanz - please post an introduction - thank you.

okarol/admin

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »