I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 06, 2024, 11:23:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  You are going to say "Told you so"!
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: You are going to say "Told you so"!  (Read 8372 times)
Lucinda

Life is great!

« on: February 12, 2009, 10:00:32 AM »

Wow....it is so good to be able to use my fingers again.  Worst gout I have ever had and it has taken two weeks to ease.  Well, seems I have put off the inevitable long enough - had my bloods done yesterday because I felt close to disgusting and my creatnine and urea have risen dramatically so they are calling today to let me know when I can get a spot to start my training.  They'll do clinic if they have to but my neph would rather I went straight into training if I can.  You of course were all right about not leaving your run too late.  Now I feel sick all the time, bad headaches and confusion and slurred speech is setting and sleep deprivation is annoying.  Upside, I have lost 10 kilos in the past two weeks. The constant nausea is the most distressing thing and I have tried everything known to man to find something to ease it.  The best remedy is eating plain crackers and taking ginger tablets every couple of hours.  Even though my energy levels are now depleted, I went for a walk yesterday and just kept walking because I felt better doing it.  After walking about 10 kilometres my legs just "jellied" out and I had to head home.  My own fault for leaving my start so late.  Anyhow, I am going to do some catchup and see how everyone is doing.  It is 4.45am in the morning over here and I am heading to the training centre a little later this morning to check everything out.  I have three inches of makeup on and I refuse to look as bad as I feel.  I haven't been able to wear makeup since I have had gout because I haven't been able to use my fingers to put it on so that makes me feel better just looking a little less worse for wear.  Definitely staying upbeat helps.  Love to you all and sorry I haven't been around for the past couple of weeks. Lots of love, Cindy. xx   
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2009, 10:03:28 AM »

Hi Cindy - I am glad to hear you are feeling a bit better - with the gout anyway. It sounds awful. Please take care - I am sending you HUGS and LOVE!  :cuddle;

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2009, 10:09:08 AM »

I'll be thinking of you as you begin the training and will read your updates with great interest Cindy.

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
Tinah1968
Elite Member

ME

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2009, 10:13:14 AM »

:grouphug; I hope get to feeling better... Gout is just so awful to have.....

Tina
Fistula Oct 2007
Started Dialysis May 22, 2009
thegrammalady
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2009, 10:44:09 AM »

glad the gout is under control and you are feeling a bit better. hope your training starts soon.

s
......................................................................................
If you can smile when things go wrong, you have someone in mind to blame.

Lead me not into temptation, I can find it myself.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning how to dance in the rain.

Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

Meddle Not In The Affairs Of Dragons
For You Are Crunchy And Taste Good With Ketchup
jessup

Gemma - the tucker monster

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2009, 12:01:19 PM »

:cuddle;
 :flower; :flower; :flower;
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2009, 12:11:13 PM »

I hope the training goes well, too bad it has come to that, but I hope you feel better soon.  :grouphug; :grouphug;
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2009, 12:45:37 PM »

I would never say, "I told you so."  Good luck with the training.
 :-*

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
paul.karen
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2009, 01:06:12 PM »

Pheww glad the gout is gone and over with.
nice to have you back :waving;

Hope your training will go easy and smooth for you Lucinda.
P&K

Curiosity killed the cat
Satisfaction brought it back

Operation for PD placement 7-14-09
Training for cycler 7-28-09

Started home dialysis using Baxter homechoice
8-7-09
kimcanada
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2009, 01:09:50 PM »

I hope all went well today Lucinda, thinking of you  :flower;

http://www.kimhoben.com
deafman

Yes it is that crazy deaf bloke from the Top End!

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2009, 01:10:21 PM »

Gee - I told you so  8) 8)

Hope you are able to get into the training and feeling better soon.  :beer1; :beer1;
charee
Elite Member

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2009, 01:28:02 PM »

Hey Cindy, hope you can get into training soon and start to feel better , thinking of you take care :cuddle;

Home Hemo  18 months
Live donor transplant 28th October 2008
from my beautiful sister
Royal Prince Alfred Sydney Australia

Live donors rock
Joe Paul
Elite Member

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2009, 01:31:32 PM »

Good luck with the training & good your hands are feeling better  :thumbup;

"The history of discovery is completed by those who don't follow rules"
Angels are with us, but don't take GOD for granted
Transplant Jan. 8, 2010
2_DallasCowboys

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2009, 02:23:04 PM »

Hi,,

Glad your hands are feeling better, and
just wanted to wish you well with the
training!

Anne
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2009, 03:33:05 PM »

Glad you feel better Lucinda. Do you want to do home dialysis or would you like to do in center like RichardMel? I hope this is your decision and not the doc forcing you to do home dialysis.

Hope it went well at training.

Diabetes -  age 7

Neuropathy in legs age 10

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
   -glaucoma and surgery for that
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Diagnosed with ESRD June 29, 1999
1st Dialysis - July 4, 1999
Last Dialysis - December 2, 2000

Kidney and Pancreas Transplant - December 3, 2000

Cataract Surgery on good eye - June 24, 2009
Knee Surgery 2010
2011/2012 in process of getting a guide dog
Guide Dog Training begins July 2, 2012 in NY
Guide Dog by end of July 2012
Next eye surgery late 2012 or 2013 if I feel like it
Home with Guide dog - July 27, 2012
Knee Surgery #2 - Oct 15, 2012
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012
Lifes Adventures -  Priceless

No two day's are the same, are they?
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2009, 06:40:54 PM »

Training takes a few weeks to get going. You may have to do clinc hemo while waiting.. which may be the best for you to stabalise you and get you feeling a bit better. Either way I don't think anyone is going to say "told you so" - because you've done your best to live as much as you can (and burn yourself out working along the way!!! :) ) and I don't think any of us would begrudge that. I'm just sorry you feel so extra crappy which makes it that much harder. Wishing the best!!!!  :grouphug;

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2009, 07:32:32 PM »

I am glad you are able to type now.  How is the presentation coming along?   I hope all goes well in your training for dialysis.  :grouphug;

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
pelagia
Elite Member

« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2009, 04:31:13 AM »

I am glad to hear that the gout has subsided.  It's good to have you back.   :guitar:

As for me, I'll borrow this thought: "Having never experienced kidney disease, I had no idea how crucial kidney function is to the rest of the body." - KD
Wattle
Elite Member

« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2009, 04:49:35 AM »

Hey Cindy,

I told you....  hehe JUST KIDDING!!!   :Kit n Stik;

I would never say that to you. I have no right. I was dragged into dialysis half dead and feeling like crap. I just didn't want to hear it was time. I remember a project my daughter was doing at school at the time. She was in grade 4. She had to do a circle diagram of the people in her family, drawing pictures of what they liked to do. I was sleeping! It is a running joke still in this house. I didn't realize how sick I was. I dragged myself through the days. Not wanting to expose my family to the horrors of dialysis. Not realizing they already knew mum was really sick. It's hard to hide nausea, vomiting and sleeping! I would fall asleep on the couch and they would be running wild eating all the biscuts.

You wont realize just how bad you really are until you start to feel better. I hope they are able to get you into training soon and it will be all up hill from there.   Hugs    :cuddle;

PKD
June 2005 Commenced PD Dialysis
July 13th 2009 Cadaveric 5/6 Antigen Match Transplant from my Special Angel
drinkboy

« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2009, 08:08:27 AM »

Glad you're doing better and are back.  good luck with the training    :2thumbsup;
paddbear0000
Elite Member

Dogs & IHDer's are always glad to see you!

« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2009, 06:08:06 PM »

I'm glad to hear your gout is better, but at the same time, I'm sad to hear you're not feeling well due to the kidneys. Good luck with training. You would start feeling a lot better if you started in-center hemo right away, while you are training. You are only going to feel worse as time goes on. I was feeling just like you are a week and a half ago and my neph had me start dialysis right away. I started this Tuesday and do not regret it at all. I can't imagine feeling worse than I already did. I'm dealing with the ups and downs of it, but I just keep reminding myself that I will start feeling better soon!   :cuddle; :cuddle; :cuddle;

I HAVE DESIGNED CKD RELATED PRODUCTS FOR SALE TO BENEFIT THE NKF'S 2009 DAYTON KIDNEY WALK (I'M A TEAM CAPTAIN)! CHECK IT OUT @ www.cafepress.com/RetroDogDesigns!!

...or sponsor me at http://walk.kidney.org/goto/janetschnittger
Twitter.com/NKFKidneyWalker
www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1659267443&ref=nf 
www.caringbridge.org/visit/janetschnittger

Diagnosed type 1 diabetic at age 6, CKD (stage 3) diagnosed at 28 after hospital error a year before, started dialysis February '09. Listed for kidney/pancreas transplant at Ohio State & Univ. of Cincinnati.
Lucinda

Life is great!

« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2009, 10:06:14 PM »

Wow...the timing with all this couldn't be better! Not!!  Anyhow, the presentation didn't go so well.  Not that it went badly for me, but it really went badly for them.  I rejected them rather than the other way around.  They are so totally disorganised and I don't want to get dragged down with them.  They are starting a new property search engine and I was going to attach my magazine to their engine but they were supposed to go live two weeks ago and they are still having technical problems.  The technical aspect of it was the main reason I was looking at working with them as their IT department was already set up and ready to go but their whole site looks a total mess so I am back to going at it on my own.  Turns out that with the right software it is a far better option.  I start my training on March 12 and my neph doesn't want me to start in clinic if it can be avoided.  I now have the deepest sympathy for all those poor pregnant women who have morning sickness 24/7.  The nausea is really annoying and needing to lie down all the time is eating into my production time with the magazine.  I missed the intake at the training centre for this month by a couple of days which is a pity but c'est le vie!!!

I am probably out of line saying this and I know that your creatinine level can go up dramatically very suddenly but I swear my sudden increase was caused by a new blood pressure tablet they put me on. The day I started taking physiotens my blood pressure dropped to 90/50 and the day before my blood pressure was 144/86.  I just seemed to go downhill after that day when my blood pressure plummeted so that is why I went and had my bloods done again.  Anyhow, whatever it was it was going to happen sooner or later so probably a waste of energy blaming any one thing in particular but I have heard other people say that they also had complications on physiotens.  I have been fine on Zanidip and the latter was just to drop the blood pressure a little further.  Anyhow, I have stopped taking it.  I would rather be at the higher range of normal than as low as it fell.

the next few weeks are going to be a bit manic but I will come onto the site as much as I can.  First morning sickness and now it is like getting the house ready for a new baby with the home dialysis.  And then when you get home, three months of interrupted sleep until you and your machine bond and the alarms cease to cry every night.  Having not had children, I have a whole new respect for new mothers!!!  xxx

BRANDY

« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2009, 09:59:06 AM »

hope you get to feeling bette. heres a big hug  :grouphug;

Adapt and Overcome

Diabetic 1973
2000-clavical surgery
2000-rotor cuff surgery
2001- cervical surgery
2002 cervical surgery
2003 - cervical surgery
2004- lumbar surgery
2004 hysterectomy
2009-fistula placed
  Im diabetic with neuropathy, ckd ,bad back bad neck
paddbear0000
Elite Member

Dogs & IHDer's are always glad to see you!

« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2009, 10:16:07 AM »

:cuddle;  My function dropped suddenly as well, but I didn't start any new meds. My neph said a sudden drop in function can just happen sometimes. I'm so sorry about the nausea. I know exactly how you feel. Mine is getting better now that I've had a few sessions of dialysis (except for when I'm actually there!). my nausea and vomiting was/is the opposite way though. I felt better in the morning, but got progressively worse as the day went by. Now, it just takes me a whole day to recover after dialysis! Of course, I have only been there 3 times!
 :cuddle;

I HAVE DESIGNED CKD RELATED PRODUCTS FOR SALE TO BENEFIT THE NKF'S 2009 DAYTON KIDNEY WALK (I'M A TEAM CAPTAIN)! CHECK IT OUT @ www.cafepress.com/RetroDogDesigns!!

...or sponsor me at http://walk.kidney.org/goto/janetschnittger
Twitter.com/NKFKidneyWalker
www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1659267443&ref=nf 
www.caringbridge.org/visit/janetschnittger

Diagnosed type 1 diabetic at age 6, CKD (stage 3) diagnosed at 28 after hospital error a year before, started dialysis February '09. Listed for kidney/pancreas transplant at Ohio State & Univ. of Cincinnati.
pelagia
Elite Member

« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2009, 05:41:10 PM »

Cindy,

I had not heard of that drug and I wanted to know more, so I went poking around on the web.

This website states that physiotens should NOT be used in patients with "severely decreased kidney function"!!!!!

http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/medicines/100002074.html

Very worrisome!!!!!

I can't find this drug on any of the US drug lookup sites.  Apparently it's not prescribed here.  I can't even find the manufacturer's site to read a product description.

Do you have the product insert? 

I am truly upset if this drug prescribed by your doc sent you downhill. It seems like a real possibility. :boxing; :banghead; :boxing;

:grouphug;

As for me, I'll borrow this thought: "Having never experienced kidney disease, I had no idea how crucial kidney function is to the rest of the body." - KD
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »