I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 06, 2024, 06:30:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  Donor a bit nervous... two days to go!
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Donor a bit nervous... two days to go!  (Read 10218 times)
kidney4traci
Elite Member

« on: January 31, 2009, 12:56:20 PM »

Please pray, send good thoughts to my donor Ryan.  I think she is a bit nervous.  Sent me a text message last night and I can tell she has part of her that doesn't want to do this.  Please pray for peace of mind, and for our surgeons, doctors, nurses and families too.  We both get admitted a day early on Monday.  Thanks everyone!

EDITED:Moved to transplant section-kitkatz,Moderator
« Last Edit: February 01, 2009, 08:29:48 AM by kitkatz » Logged

Married - three children.
Alports female, diagnosed ESRD 10/04
11/04  Hemo in clinic
6/07 hemo at HOME! 
2/3/09 - Transplant from an angel of a friend!!!
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2009, 01:12:05 PM »

Any elective surgery is scary, so I would think that her reaction is very normal.
There are many other donors that she can get encouragemnet and support from at www.livingdonorsonline.org
Sending prayers and good wishes to you both!
 :grouphug;

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
willieandwinnie
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2009, 01:18:47 PM »

Oh kidney4traci  :grouphug; Send Ryan to visit us, we will tell her how amazing we think she is. We will be thinking and praying for you both.  :cuddle;

"I know there's nothing to it, but I want to know what it is there's nothing to"
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2009, 01:35:23 PM »

We will all be holding you in our thoughts and prayers during the next week.  I hope Ryan can feel all of us surrounding her and supporting her when she gives this ultimate gift.  She is a hero to all of us.    We are so excited that the time has come for your new kidney.  Your IHD family will be here waiting to hear that both of you are doing great.   Lots of love to both of you   :grouphug;

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
Normie

Ellie

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2009, 01:41:55 PM »

I'm sure she is just a little nervous.
Such great news that you will be getting that kidney you have been waiting for.
My thoughts and prayers will be with you.
Wow such an exciting week coming up for all of you.   :grouphug;

Normie

Normie

Kidney damage 4/22/07

Predialysis
G-Ma
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2009, 01:57:35 PM »

My thoughts and prayers to both of you and your families that this all goes as it is meant to.   

Lost vision due to retinopathy 12/2005, 30 Laser Surg 2006
ESRD diagnosed 12/2006
03/2007 Fantastic Eye Surgeon in ND got my sight back and implanted lenses in both eyes, great distance & low reading.
Gortex 4/07.  Started dialysis in ND 5/4/2007
Gortex clotted off Thanksgiving Week of 2007, was unclotted and promptly clotted off 1/2 hour later so Permacath Rt chest.
3/2008 move to NC to be close to children.
2 Step fistula, 05/08-elevated 06/08, using mid August.
Aug 5, 08, trained NxStage and Home on 9/3/2008.
Fistulagram 09/2008. In hospital 10/30/08, Bowel Obstruction.
Back to RAI-Latrobe In Center. No home hemo at this time.
GOD IS GOOD
2_DallasCowboys

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2009, 02:10:22 PM »

Sending happy thoughts   :bestwishes;
and prayers your way, and Ryan;s, also.

Will be anxiously awaiting all good news
here on IHD

Anne
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2009, 02:58:45 PM »

Her nervousness is understandable and now it's time to just get it done.  You know I'm thinking of you both all the time now these days and will continue to do so until we hear from you that all's gone well.   :cuddle;
« Last Edit: February 01, 2009, 08:26:05 AM by monrein » Logged

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
kellyt
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2009, 04:05:37 PM »

Fortunatley, my donor never showed her nerves.  I was nervous enough for the both of us.

Everything will be fine.  You two are in good surgical hands, as well as God's hands.   I'm thinking of you and Ryan!    :grouphug;

1993 diagnosed with glomerulonephritis.
Oct 41, 2007 - Got fistula placed.
Feb 13, 2008 - Activated on "the list".
Nov 5, 2008 - Received living donor transplant from my sister-in-law, Etta.
Nov 5, 2011 - THREE YEARS POST TRANSPLANT!  :D
pam49

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2009, 05:47:29 PM »

I so pray for the both of you.I am hoping to get a transplant soon.It is exciting and scary.GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

with God all things are possible!
Find beauty in all things
pelagia
Elite Member

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2009, 07:17:18 AM »

Traci, I just PM'd you my husband's donor's phone number.  He is happy to talk with Ryan.

I think nerves are completely normal.  Some people show it more than others.  We had a lot of support and reassurance from the transplant center folks during the final days before my husband's transplant.  Hopefully your center staff is there for you and for Ryan too. 

Stephen and I will be holding you and Ryan, your medical team and your families in our thoughts and prayers in the coming days.

As for me, I'll borrow this thought: "Having never experienced kidney disease, I had no idea how crucial kidney function is to the rest of the body." - KD
Wenchie58
Elite Member

Always carrying the big silly grin!

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2009, 08:10:02 AM »

Sending positive vibes your way for you and Ryan.
Being a hero isn't an easy job!

Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning Satan shudders and says "Oh s**t, she's awake!"

Right nephrectomy 1963
Diagnosed ESRD 2007
"Listed" summer 2007
Transplant 3/6 match  10/24/08
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2009, 08:23:53 AM »

Good luck tomorrow. We will be praying for you and your donor. Everything will go just fine.   :grouphug; Hope to hear from you soon with good news about both of you.  :grouphug;
rose1999
Elite Member

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2009, 09:20:48 AM »

Sending love and prayers for you and for Ryan  :grouphug;
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2009, 09:29:41 AM »

Hoping everything goes well for the both of you. As stated earlier, her nervousness is normal. I had a big case of those with my first surgery.

However, i she does decide to pull out, just respect her wishes, don't resent her, and continue being her friend. I know this is a big if  if it does come to that, but it  is a possibility.

Diabetes -  age 7

Neuropathy in legs age 10

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
   -glaucoma and surgery for that
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Diagnosed with ESRD June 29, 1999
1st Dialysis - July 4, 1999
Last Dialysis - December 2, 2000

Kidney and Pancreas Transplant - December 3, 2000

Cataract Surgery on good eye - June 24, 2009
Knee Surgery 2010
2011/2012 in process of getting a guide dog
Guide Dog Training begins July 2, 2012 in NY
Guide Dog by end of July 2012
Next eye surgery late 2012 or 2013 if I feel like it
Home with Guide dog - July 27, 2012
Knee Surgery #2 - Oct 15, 2012
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012
Lifes Adventures -  Priceless

No two day's are the same, are they?
kidney4traci
Elite Member

« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2009, 12:44:10 PM »

Thanks everyone.  She says she is fine, and will have her running shoes on to get to the operating table!  I guess I will be off until after surgery.  Will have my mom bring me my lap top Wed or so...  love you guys!!!! :guitar:

11/04  Hemo in clinic
6/07 hemo at HOME! 
kidney4traci
Elite Member

« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2009, 12:45:16 PM »

Thanks everyone.  She says she is fine, and will have her running shoes on to get to the operating table!  I guess I will be off until after surgery.  Will have my mom bring me my lap top Wed or so...  love you guys!!!! :guitar:  

oh yeah, any well wishes for Ryan here would be great.  Will print this for her tonight.

11/04  Hemo in clinic
6/07 hemo at HOME! 
willieandwinnie
Elite Member

« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2009, 01:03:07 PM »

kidney4traci   :grouphug; We will be sitting on the edge of of seats. Please tell Ryan that all of us are there with you both and all our prayers to your surgeons for everything to go smoothly.  :cuddle;

"I know there's nothing to it, but I want to know what it is there's nothing to"
kimcanada
Elite Member

« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2009, 01:21:09 PM »

Traci its here! all my love to Ryan  , can't wait to hear from you!

Kim

http://www.kimhoben.com
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2009, 01:32:31 PM »

Traci and Ryan, if caring thoughts and best wishes were all that is necessary for a successful transplant, yours would already be a resounding success.  Ryan, we all thank you for your generous gift to Traci which makes you as special to us as she is.  Living donors rock.   :grouphug;

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
kellyt
Elite Member

« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2009, 01:32:56 PM »

Ryan:

Speaking as a recent kidney recipient from my loving and selfless sister-in-law in November of 2008, what you are doing is truly amazing!  The "gift of life" is ever present and you need to know how loved and respected you are for giving it. Your family and friends will forever be in awe of your selfless gift to Traci.  You and Traci both deserve a life filled with riches, joy and peace.

You are in many thoughts and prayers.  Thank you for doing this for my new friend.  You're a true hero!    :cuddle;    :beer1;    :clap;

Kellyt

1993 diagnosed with glomerulonephritis.
Oct 41, 2007 - Got fistula placed.
Feb 13, 2008 - Activated on "the list".
Nov 5, 2008 - Received living donor transplant from my sister-in-law, Etta.
Nov 5, 2011 - THREE YEARS POST TRANSPLANT!  :D
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2009, 01:41:42 PM »

Dear Ryan,   Thank you from all of us who have kidney disease.  Thank you for offering to give such a wonderful gift that will change Traci's life.   Living donors are real life heros.  Not many people can save another's life and we are honored to know you.   We all love Traci and are thrilled that she will be getting your lovely kidney.   There will be lots of prayers for both of you, the doctors, nurses and your families as you go through this journey.  Thank you for being a blessing in Traci's life    :grouphug;

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
glitter
Elite Member

« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2009, 01:50:28 PM »

Thank you for being so self-less your awesome!!

Jack A Adams July 2, 1957--Feb. 28, 2009
I will miss him- FOREVER

caregiver to Jack (he was on dialysis)
RCC
nephrectomy april13,2006
dialysis april 14,2006
pelagia
Elite Member

« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2009, 02:17:54 PM »

Dear Ryan,

Thank you for giving Traci the gift of a healthy kidney.  My husband received a kidney from my sister's husband last May.  Our lives have been changed forever.  Since the transplant I have learned that I will never have enough words to express the gratitude and love I feel for Michael and the deep appreciation I feel for all donors.  Even though I have never met you, you will be in my thoughts this week and I will hold you in my highest esteem always.

Linda
 :guitar:

As for me, I'll borrow this thought: "Having never experienced kidney disease, I had no idea how crucial kidney function is to the rest of the body." - KD
petey

MEMBER BANNED

« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2009, 03:01:07 PM »

Ryan,
I was a living donor (to my husband Marvin, in July of 2000, left kidney, "open" incision).  Before the transplant surgery, I had never been admitted into a hospital, never had major surgery, never had an IV.  My husband had been struggling to survive for a little over five years on dialysis (it took me years to convince his doctors to let me be his donor because we are a very, very low "match").  I never had any qualms, any reservations, or any second thoughts at all about being his donor (but, then, he's my husband, my best friend, my lover, my future, the love of my life...so, my situation was some different from yours).

Before the transplant, all I could think about was how I would be improving HIS life.  He was my only thought going into it.  When I went down to the chapel at 4:30 a.m. before the surgery, I prayed for only Marvin.  When I woke up in the recovery room, I threatened to get up out of the bed (yeah, right!) until the nurse called back to Marvin's operating room to make sure he was okay and the kidney was being transplanted.

When my surgeon came by my regular room later to check on me, he said, "How are you feeling?"  And (though I don't remember it -- my mom told me this story), I said, "I hurt like hell, but I think I've just done the most important thing I could have done.  I saved another human being."  My mom still cries when she tells that story.

That day changed my husband's life -- but, you know what?  It changed my life, too.  Aside from being able to see every minute of every day what a difference the transplant made in Marvin's life, it also did something wonderful for MY soul.  It's a feeling that I just can't put into words.  I feel really, really good about my decision to be a living donor.  I have never had children, so I don't know what it feels like to bring another life into this world.  But, I think being a living donor must be second only to that feeling.  While I didn't bring Marvin into this world, I did help him stay in it a little longer.  That touches your very soul. Ever since I was young, I wanted to do something monumental with my life that would make a difference in another person's life -- something unselfish, something miraculous, something big beyond description.  I think I've done that, and that is extremely satisfying to me.

Would I do it again?  You bet I would -- I'd do it tomorrow.  Was it tough (physically) on me for the first couple of weeks?  Yes, it was.  Was it worth it?  Yes, yes, yes, yes, a million times yes.

Tonight, I will say a special prayer for you.  I will ask that your part of the surgery goes off perfectly and that you will awake with the pain under control.  I will ask that God will hold you tightly next to his heart and make your recovery quick.  I will ask Him to let you feel as wonderful about being a living donor as I did.  The Lord I believe in is gracious, merciful, and kind, and He, certainly, knows what a tremendous sacrifice you're making for another person.  Surely, he will reward you for that.

Marsha
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »