I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 07, 2024, 12:22:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  are transplantees at higher risk in extreme heat?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: are transplantees at higher risk in extreme heat?  (Read 2660 times)
Falkenbach
Elite Member

« on: January 27, 2009, 07:00:07 PM »

Just wondered about this. Today it had already reached 45 degrees C (113 degrees F) here in Adelaide's northern suburbs, by midday.

Knowing that those of us with transplants have to be more vigilant about or water intake at the best of times, does anyone know if we are at increased risk of dehydration or heat stroke in this kind of weather? I had to turn my car's air con off yesterday as it was overheating my engine, and when I got home I was as red as a tomato and felt ill.
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2009, 07:12:48 PM »

I was thinking about that too and I believe you have to be extra hydrated.. I imagine if it was me I would be drinking extra amounts just in case and if I ever felt remotely thirsty to drink extra water even if I didn't want to. Unless the docs suggested that could be bad. I'd potentially even consider talking to the transplant co-ordinator or renal registrar for any specific suggestions they may have.

41C here right now....

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
Wattle
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2009, 07:15:42 PM »

Cocobully, Can you stay home the next few days? If not freeze some water bottles and take them in the car.

This heat is ridiculous!!!    :stressed;

PKD
June 2005 Commenced PD Dialysis
July 13th 2009 Cadaveric 5/6 Antigen Match Transplant from my Special Angel
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2009, 07:18:25 PM »

When I went in yesterday I was only 1.3 over which is crazy after a weekend.. wish I'd known I would have sunk another can watching the digrace that was the cricket. Still I wonder how I will go in this heat. I know you should drink more (as a dialysis patient) but clearly not too much.. so where do you make the limit? *sigh* it sucks!!!

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
Falkenbach
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2009, 07:51:14 PM »

Cocobully, Can you stay home the next few days? If not freeze some water bottles and take them in the car.

No, Wednesday (today) is my day off. I have to work the next two days, which are both forecast to be 41 degrees. I always carry cold water.
deafman

Yes it is that crazy deaf bloke from the Top End!

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2009, 04:31:56 AM »

Hello cycobully

Sound like you were dehyrated,  Make sure you drink plenty of drink.

:beer1; :beer1; :ausflag; :ausflag;
pelagia
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2009, 01:41:00 PM »

My husband seems much more sensitive to heat than he was before his transplant.  I have been assuming that this has something to do with taking prednisone (or maybe it's the Italian kidney  :) ).  Do you take prednisone?

As for me, I'll borrow this thought: "Having never experienced kidney disease, I had no idea how crucial kidney function is to the rest of the body." - KD
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2009, 02:56:09 PM »

I was assuming it was menopause, a long one at that.  I  don't do well in heat and have never enjoyed it but the last 10 years I really despise when it's too hot.  Makes me feel like a big slow slug.

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
Falkenbach
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2009, 11:18:52 PM »

No, I wasn't dehydrated  :) I was drinking water like a fish. But the long drive home without an airconditioner really did me in (I work in the city but live in the outer suburbs)! I think it was a mild heat stroke. The same thing happened two days later, despite keeping water and ice on my face/body and continually drinking all the way home. My car is fixed now though (it turned out that the idiots who replaced my radiator just a few months ago installed a European radiator that was not designed to deal with Australian conditions, that was why the car was overheating and I could not use my air-con).

Yes, I do take prednisolone (prednisone).

I am also definitely much more susceptible to the heat since transplant, I have never felt actually weakened by the severe heat in the past. Clearly, I do now! Oh, and the Wednesday that I sent the original post ended up being 47 degrees. Ouch.

You'd be pleased to know that this week our temperature on average is literally HALF of last fortnight's. In fact, it's been downright cold in the mornings/evenings.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »