I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 03:48:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Traveling Tips and Stories
| | |-+  First time traveling by Plane with Baxter Homechoice Cycler as Carry On
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: First time traveling by Plane with Baxter Homechoice Cycler as Carry On  (Read 24856 times)
djgaryb11

« on: January 16, 2009, 10:25:21 PM »

I just got back from my first trip by plane while on PD and taking my Baxter Homechoice Cycler with me, and everything went pretty smooth.  I had Baxter ship my PD Solutions  to my destination ahead of time, and they got there just as promised.  I packed my Baxter Homechoice Cycler machine in this really good case that I got for it since my Dialysis clinic does not provide the cases, and from what I could see on the Baxter Web site, the Baxter Hard rolling case cost around $ 400...which seemed pretty expensive....anyway, so I got this case by "Pelican" model 1610, and my Cycler Machine fit in there perfectly...and it was only around $ 175.  My nurse had also prepared a letter for me explaining that i was traveling with a Dialysis machine, heparin, syringes, etc..incase the TSA agents gave me a problem.......When I got to the airport and checked in I told the check in Rep that I had a "medical assistive device" in the case, and i was going to bring it on the plane with me....she said no problem....and then when I went through the security checkpoint ( this is at Atlanta - Hartsfield - Jackson Airport) they have a special line for "Special Assistance"...when my machine went through the X-Ray machine scanner thing, the TSA agent knew exactly what it was....asked me if it was a dialysis machine...and I did not even have to open up the case or anything.....and I went on my way....When I boarded the plane I told the gate agent I had a "Medical Assistive Device" and wanted to board during the Pre boarding/courtesy boarding..so I could bring my machine onto the plane before everyone else boarded...she said fine....and my machine in its case fit perfectly into the overhead bin...no problem....So my flight to my destination went very smooth

On my Return Flight ( out of Newark Airport), I got stopped at the security check point for a random drug swab thing on my Cycler machine in its Case...got through that...and was on my way to the gate.  At the gate, the gate agent wanted me to check my machine since she said it would not fit on the plane , etc....I insisted I was taking it on the plane and that it would fit since it fit on the first flight...I told her if it does not fit then I would check it.......so she let me on with it, and it fit in the overhead just like before...no problem.

So all in all...not too bad !

7/2001 Diagnosed with Hypertension and Chronic Kidney Disease
2/2008 Diagnosed with End Stage Renal Disease
4/2008 Surgery to Create Backup A/V Fistula in Left Arm
7/2008 Placed on "UNOS" list for a Kidney Transplant
10/2008 Surgery to place PD Catheter
10/2008 Started CAPD
11/2008 Started on Baxter HomeChoice PD Cycler ( CCPD)
peleroja
Elite Member

I have 16 hats, all the same style!

« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2009, 08:15:42 AM »

Sounds like you did pretty well.  I never took my cycler on the plane, just went back to manual, but I did have an interesting experience in the San Francisco airport.  Like you, they swabbed my backpack, and I innocently asked what they were looking for.  They said evidence of explosives.  Just then their machine started alarming, and the man said, "And it's positive."  They took all my supplies out of the bag and I had to explain each and every thing in there.  Then they had a woman come out and pat me down.  There was a tense moment when she felt my PD catheter tucked into my waist, so I just whipped it out and explained what it was.  That was the only time I was ever challenged.  And, you're right, many times the people checking luggage knew exactly what was in my backpack.  The word is getting around!
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2009, 01:27:05 PM »

I have a vision of you whipping out the catheter and flashing people with it!  :rofl;

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Jessmomto3

Logan's mom!

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2009, 03:55:03 PM »

:rofl;

about whipping it out!  we're bored at the hospital. 

Jessica--mommy to Cristian (8), Jaden (4), and our miracle boy Logan (2/23/08)

Logan had PD cath, g-tube, and mediport placement at 4 1/2 months-- 7/2008
started PD at 5 1/2 months--8/2008
Listed--12/2008--inactive
Activated--8/2009

Cadaveric Kidney Transplant 9/4/2009 (18 months old)!!!!!
BigSteve

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2009, 07:20:37 PM »

Peleroja frequently "whips it out" to show newbies at our support group.

"I yam what I yam what I yam." Popeye's immortal words.
"Getting and spending we lay waste our powers"
If it's too big to fail, it's too big to exist.
Brightsky69

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2009, 02:41:18 PM »

I traveled with my machine and I'd be hard pressed to do it again. For one thing I can't lift that 40+ pound machine into the overhead. And none of those girlie flight attendants could lift it either. Thank goodness my BF was flying with me. I tried to get on the plane early and that made no difference...it was like a cattle rush anyway. No one cared I had a medical device I needed to put in the overhead. No one was there willing to help get it in the overhead. My BF had to struggle with it for me. Going threw security...they didn't care either that I had a life saving medical device. I even took a bag on with me because I was afraid I would missing my connection and get stuck in some random city somewhere.

I wouldn't travel by plane unless there were no connections involved.  :waiting;

Transplant June 11, 1991 (1st time) my mom's kidney
Received my 2nd kidney transplant Oct. 19th 2010.
djgaryb11

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2009, 04:53:30 PM »

I had no major issues when going through security.....I do agree that the cycler in a case is a pretty heavy package, and for a female to lift that by themself would be very difficult, if not impossible.  IF you are female and not traveling with a male companion you will need to ask someone or the flight attendants to help you get the cycler in a case up into the overhead bin.

10/2008 Started CAPD
Hanify
Elite Member

Hadija, Athol, Me and Molly at Havelock North 09

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2009, 06:59:12 PM »

I had to put my machine on as luggage - I couldn't take it on the plane with me.  I've travelled a few times now though and never had a problem.  It seems to survive being bashed around, and always got there with me.  If it needed to be lifted anywhere - well - that's what Paul is for isn't it?

Diagnosed Nov 2007 with Multiple Myeloma.
By Jan 2008 was in end stage renal failure and on haemodialysis.
Changed to CAPD in April 2008.  Now on PD with a cycler.  Working very part time - teaching music.  Love it.  Husband is Paul (we're both 46), daughter Molly is 13.
Lillupie

wedding 12-10-11

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2009, 01:15:52 AM »

I viisted my bestfriend in Florida and too my cycler. My cycler actually came with a case. :waiting; Strange that yours didnt! And since I am petite at 4'11" and semi-attractive. lol whatever guy was sitting near me I got to put it up in the overhang and take it down. Other then that I didnt have any problems, except my traveling is done for now. No more money :(.

Lisa

I had no major issues when going through security.....I do agree that the cycler in a case is a pretty heavy package, and for a female to lift that by themself would be very difficult, if not impossible.  IF you are female and not traveling with a male companion you will need to ask someone or the flight attendants to help you get the cycler in a case up into the overhead bin.

Check out my Facebook profile for CKD "Help Lisa Spread Awareness for Kidney Disease"

It is my utmost dream and desire to reach out to other kidney patients for them to know that they are not alone in this, also to reach out to those who one day have to go on dialysis though my book i am writing!

dx with lupus nephritis 5/99'
daughter born 11/2005
stage IV CKD 11/2005-6/2007
8/2007- PD cathater inserted
9/2007- revision of PD Cathater
10/2007 started PD
djgaryb11

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2009, 07:39:49 PM »

Glad your trip went well...I think it depends if your particular Clinic has them in stock...or I think you can buy one directly...at least I think that's how it works with the Baxter Cycler....anyway...when I looked on the Baxter web site the cases they have for the Baxter Cycler cost like $ 400, which is insane...i purchased a very rugged case on my own ...a case made by "Pelican" that only cost like $ 175....and I have traveled with it several times already...and it does the trick...fits in the overhead just perfectly...although it is really heavy....hope you get to travel again soon and use it ! ...Gary

10/2008 Started CAPD
Hanify
Elite Member

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2009, 08:29:45 PM »

Baxter supply it for us over here (NZ).

Changed to CAPD in April 2008.  Now on PD with a cycler.  Working very part time - teaching music.  Love it.  Husband is Paul (we're both 46), daughter Molly is 13.
Jie

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2009, 09:25:10 PM »

Baxter supplies a soft case for carry-on for me. The hard case has to be purchased. There are risks of damage with a checked hard case. My cycler was damaged by the first trip with a hard case (checked).
djgaryb11

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2009, 08:55:01 PM »

I think the Baxter Hard Case is not that durable...at least thats how it looks in the pics i have seen...The Case I purchased, a Pelican Case, is Extremely Rugged...the only drawback to its Ruggedness is it is pretty heavy when you try to lift it....but with all the padding inside of it and its rugged exterior, I am pretty sure it could take some abuse and the Baxter machine would still be ok.

10/2008 Started CAPD
BigSteve

« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2009, 05:28:11 PM »

I am tired of not knowing the situation of taking my cycler when flying. The first time I travelled with it was on
Alaska/Horizon and they were great. The second time was last month flying to and from Florida for a cruise.
Going was just o.k. on Southwest, the cattle-call airline, but coming back on Continental was a hassle. The
first leg was fine since the flight attendant put the machine in the overhead, but the second flight was a hassle
since the attendant refused to lift it and made us virtually beg another passenger to lift it. I am determined to
get the facts on this problem. The machine is not supposed to be checked per FAA regulations. I want to know
what my right are under the ADA and the air line passenger regulations.

djgaryb11

« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2009, 11:40:25 PM »

have you read this page ?

http://www.homedialysis.org/resources/tom/200810/

I believe they are required to help you lift and stow the machine....check this portion of the  regulations

"Help to stow and retrieve your machine as a carry-on (382.39(b5)"

These rules, called 14 CFR Part 382,1 cover your rights when you need an "Assistive Device"2—like a portable dialysis machine.

10/2008 Started CAPD
BigSteve

« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2010, 01:58:30 PM »

Thanks lots, DJ. That gives me the specific language to have to back my requests when flying. I filed a
complaint with the Department of Transportation about my incident. They responded to me that they had
forwarded the complaint to Continental Airlines. I have not yet received a response from the airline. I will write
back to the DOT and mention the appropriate sections of the Air Carrier Access Act(AACA).
This is the language from the Act in mandating services by carrier employees for passengers with disabilities
"Assistance in loading and retrieving carry-on items, including mobility aids and other assistive devices
stowed on board in accordance with Section 382.41.

Jie

« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2010, 08:36:26 PM »

I wonder we are with disability or not. I know many dialysis patients have applied for disability, but some of us are still working and does not have a disability card. I wonder the same thing I was on a bus. Should we sit on the seats for disability persons?
BigSteve

« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2010, 01:00:06 PM »

Jie: It is the choice of each of us whether to have a disabled placard for your car or sit in a seat designated
for a "disabled" person, but we fit under the language of the Air Carrier Access Act as persons with a
disability. I have a lack of bodily function which necessitates a machine to keep me alive.

djgaryb11

« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2010, 10:16:14 PM »

I traveled by plane again last week with my Baxter HomeChoice Cycler machine....this time I had to fly on Delta, since Airtran, the airline i used to take up to Newark, NJ, no longer flies there.  I was taking my Cycler machine on board as carry on, in a case, since I have done it several other times and it fit in the over head bin perfectly.  Well, I found out that the overhead bins on Delta Planes are smaller then the bins on Airtran planes ! the Baxter Cycler machine in my case would not fit in the overhead, but the flight attendant let me store it in the coat closet at the front of the plane and if fit in there fine.  On my return flight, I decided to just check it...well, the Delta check in clerk was having a hard time finding the proper  baggage code for a dialysis machine, so I would not get charged for it...even her supervisors did not know the code....so i told her to just code it as a wheelchair...and that worked.  After i got machine back after the flight and got home i found a note inside the case that it was inspected by the TSA...the machine and case were in great shape and worked fine after the trip....so that was my most recent experience flying with my baxter cycler machine.

10/2008 Started CAPD
Hanify
Elite Member

« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2010, 01:37:56 AM »

None of our airlines will let me take the machine on as baggage - so I have to stow it and hope they don't lose it.

MiSSis

« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2010, 08:14:10 AM »

I've found this thread to be really interesting and informative.  Thanks for the info, all!

I was switched from Fresenius to Baxter about 8 months ago.  I wasn't particularly happy with the change but my clinic is gradually switching everything over to Baxter and PD patients were the first to be changed.  One of my biggest concerns has been regarding travel.  Because my husband and I travel several times a year, my PD nurse went ahead and ordered a soft sided case for my Baxter along with all of my other first-time supplies.  She keeps an extra soft side on hand at the clinic for other patients to borrow.  Also she showed me the hard case she has that we can also borrow but it's quite big so it would have to be sent as checked baggage as it definitely wouldn't fit in any overhead bin.  It also wasn't on wheels which is a concern to my husband.

So far we've only made trips by car so the travel with the Baxter has been easy but we now have a trip planned where we'll be flying with United to Palm Springs, CA.
I've been worried about all of the luggage fees that the airlines are charging these days and wasn't aware that I might not have to pay the baggage fee for my dialysis machine.  I'm lucky that I'll be traveling with my husband and he'll be able to help with the machine if we choose to carry it on the plane but I was wondering about if we would be able to check the bag at the gate.  For those not familiar, you take your bag with you to where you board the plane and they take it from you there and store it for you underneath but near the front of the plane.  Then when you get off the plane the bag is brought back to you and you pick it up as you get off the plane.  I was thinking there would hopefully be less chance of losing the bag this way!  Also I was wondering if you mark the outside of your carry case in any way to designate it as needing special handling or if that would even help.  I've watched regular bags being loaded before and have seen them dumped on the ground and tossed around like sacks of potatoes! 

Driving for this trip isn't an option because we live in Illinois but if we had more time I might consider it the next time.  I'm really having trouble trusting the airlines to know how to handle this situation.  Do you think if I called Baxter they might have some idea on how these things should be handled?

"Keep your face to the sunshine and you will not see the shadows."  Helen Keller
Brightsky69

« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2010, 06:06:32 AM »

Never ever never no way on earth would I "check" my cycler machine if I fly. Last time I flew I made the mistake of putting my mini caps and drain bags and other stuff in my suitcase. And of course the airline lost my suitcase. I got to my destination and couldn't do dialysis for 48 hours. I had my machine with me but no supplies.
Next time I fly I will make sure I carry everything I need with me. No way am I going to be caught like that again. I'll even carry some dialysis solution with me on the plane. The airlines dont care about your medical issues.

Transplant June 11, 1991 (1st time) my mom's kidney
Received my 2nd kidney transplant Oct. 19th 2010.
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2010, 09:58:24 AM »

I have attached a letter that Baxter provides for air travelers regarding the equipment and weight.

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
djgaryb11

« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2010, 09:24:33 PM »

The case that I have my dialysis machine in has bright orange stickers all over that say "Fragile- Handle With Care"...think I bought those at Office Depot in the shipping supplies dept.  I also created my own little signs that I printed up on my computer that says " MEDICAL EQUIPMENT"....and I taped a few of these to the case, so its very obvious to see...

10/2008 Started CAPD
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »