I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 09:31:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  taking hard drugs
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: taking hard drugs  (Read 6967 times)
Naive27

« on: December 30, 2008, 12:03:26 AM »

i know a guy that goes to dialysis i am 30 hes alittle older than me and he still does drugs like acid mushrooms and ecstasy and he says he is fine can one still do stuff like that while on dialysis and he has has his transplanted kidney removed and i just could believe hes doing that and that he feels fine is there anybody else out there doing hard drugs while on hemo let me know i have touched a thing since i went back on for my second time and please me honest if u r doing anything and i am not talking weed and painkillers
boxman55
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2008, 05:12:26 AM »

Naive22, did I miss your introduction? If you haven't introduced yourself yet please do so. There is a section also on rules for new members you should read. Thank you

Boxman,Moderator

"Be the change you wished to be"
Started Hemodialysis 8/14/06
Lost lower right leg 5/16/08 due to Diabetes
Sister was denied donation to me for medical reasons 1/2008
nursewratchet

"Either do it, or don't do it, don't try"

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2008, 07:58:07 AM »

I have seen 2 patients admittadly doing hard drugs on hemo.  One is already dead, at 30.  the other one is still on hemo, he's 22, but is now in prison for something unrelated.  He looks about 50, and was on the list for transplant, but got passed over when a match became availabele, due to the drugs.  He uses cocaine, and occaisional heroin.  The other guy, who died, was a heroin user. 

RN, Facility Administrator 2002 to present
RN, Staff Nurse 1996-2002
Vicki
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2008, 08:02:18 AM »

They shouldn't even be ON the transplant list in the first place if they are doing recreational drugs. 

I have an idea...... do the hard drugs and skip dialysis for a few weeks.  Same end result!!             :banghead;

paul.karen
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2008, 08:42:44 AM »

But if marijuana is given to you as a pain reliever and with a doctors note should you still be not allowed on a transplant list??

isnt half the drugs that many patients use from giant pharma companies worse if not jst as bad as smoking??
Have you seen the commercials may cause death or ruin liver damage spleen ect ect?

Just the other side of the coin

Curiosity killed the cat
Satisfaction brought it back

Operation for PD placement 7-14-09
Training for cycler 7-28-09

Started home dialysis using Baxter homechoice
8-7-09
Bill Peckham
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2008, 09:27:05 AM »

Last night I read this article from the Economist http://www.economist.com/science/displaystory.cfm?story_id=12792611 that takes a look at MDMA or Ecstasy.

The point I take from the article is that basing medical recommendations on the US's arbitrary and politically motivated law enforcement drug classifications is wrong. Apples and oranges.

Aside from the moral tut tutting, what is the renal impact of mushrooms or MDMA? I'm thinking about a situation in I faced in Australia when I needed to get a doctor's approval to dive on the Great Barrier Reef. He had never evaluated a dialyzor for SCUBA diving before and was concerned that diving could hurt my kidneys. My point was that that cow has left the barn. My kidneys couldn't be more hurt. I'm on dialysis.

http://www.billpeckham.com  "Dialysis from the sharp end of the needle" tracking  industry news and trends - in advocacy, reimbursement, politics and the provision of dialysis
Incenter Hemodialysis: 1990 - 2001
Home Hemodialysis: 2001 - Present
NxStage System One Cycler 2007 - Present
        * 4 to 6 days a week 30 Liters (using PureFlow) @ ~250 Qb ~ 8 hour per treatment FF~28
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2008, 01:01:48 PM »

But if marijuana is given to you as a pain reliever and with a doctors note should you still be not allowed on a transplant list??

Okarol posted a news article about that from California several months ago, can't remember the title yet.

At my center at the time I had mine, they would not list you at their center if you did illegal drugs.

Diabetes -  age 7

Neuropathy in legs age 10

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
   -glaucoma and surgery for that
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Diagnosed with ESRD June 29, 1999
1st Dialysis - July 4, 1999
Last Dialysis - December 2, 2000

Kidney and Pancreas Transplant - December 3, 2000

Cataract Surgery on good eye - June 24, 2009
Knee Surgery 2010
2011/2012 in process of getting a guide dog
Guide Dog Training begins July 2, 2012 in NY
Guide Dog by end of July 2012
Next eye surgery late 2012 or 2013 if I feel like it
Home with Guide dog - July 27, 2012
Knee Surgery #2 - Oct 15, 2012
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012
Lifes Adventures -  Priceless

No two day's are the same, are they?
Stacy Without An E

God's Action Figure

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2008, 04:28:54 PM »

From my observations and talking to staff, half the patients in my clinic are there because of blatant hard drug use.  At that point I'm going to guess many of them don't give a damn and continue to use.

The other half are there because of poor diet which led to diabetes and high blood pressure related kidney failure.

I'm there because God hates me.

Stacy Without An E

1st Kidney Transplant: May 1983
2nd Kidney Transplant: January 1996
3rd Kidney Transplant: Any day now.

The Adventures of Stacy Without An E
stacywithoutane.blogspot.com

Dialysis.  Two needles.  One machine.  No compassion.
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2008, 04:32:42 PM »

i know a guy that goes to dialysis i am 30 hes alittle older than me and he still does drugs like acid mushrooms and ecstasy and he says he is fine can one still do stuff like that while on dialysis and he has has his transplanted kidney removed and i just could believe hes doing that and that he feels fine is there anybody else out there doing hard drugs while on hemo let me know i have touched a thing since i went back on for my second time and please me honest if u r doing anything and i am not talking weed and painkillers

Frankly I'm on enough legal drugs to bother with the other sort :)

I imagine doing all those drugs is this person's form of escape from dealing with dialysis, kidney failure and any other drug issues. Each to their own I guess - we all make our own choices in life and should be responsible for those. I suppose if this guy is happy with his life and isn't hurting anyone else... well hey his choice (though I do question being on the transplant list when doing something so damaging to ones body on purpose).

I know here they won't even list you if you smoke because it's negative to your health. I can't imagine they'd list you if they were aware you were doing harder drugs - however I have no idea if there is more of a negative outcome for a transplanted organ from doing hard drugs.

This reminds me of a patient I know who was at our unit for awhile then got shifted. He has type 2 diabetes from being (very) overweight, he smokes and doesn't appear to adhere to the renal diet, fluid restrictions etc. The way he acts it's a wonder he actually bothers to show up to dialysis because it appears he's doing everything else he can to hasten his exit from life. Even when he's going blind from the diabetes and he's told he can help himself by just working on his weight, doing the diet etc... he doesn't bother.

Some people are like that. Maybe it's too hard to deal with.. or they just want to enjoy themselves as much as they can because life's so difficult as it is (I can relate to that part at least) but yeah... looking in from the outside it's just so sad and self destructive... but as I said above... we all should be responsible for our own decisions in life... and then dealing with the reprocussions.

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
breezysummerday

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2008, 04:37:07 PM »

I'm there because God hates me.

And to get the cooties out of your system  ;)

caregiver to Ray
renal failure 6/08
listed 7/09
~thank you epoman~
Lucinda

Life is great!

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2008, 05:27:40 PM »

Aside from the moral tut tutting, what is the renal impact of mushrooms or MDMA? I'm thinking about a situation in I faced in Australia when I needed to get a doctor's approval to dive on the Great Barrier Reef. He had never evaluated a dialyzor for SCUBA diving before and was concerned that diving could hurt my kidneys. My point was that that cow has left the barn. My kidneys couldn't be more hurt. I'm on dialysis.

I am not a good one for this topic as I don't even drink let alone do any drugs (non-prescription)  Just wanted to comment on Bill's experience.  Exactly the same thing happen to me on the Great Barrier Reef.  I wasn't allowed to scuba because of my kidneys and I asked the doctor if he would have OK'd it if I was already on dialysis.  No...it could damage your kidneys further he said.  He was also trying to catch a train that had already left the station. Sorry Bill, we must send all our rejects from the hospitals to the Whitsundays.  I with you.....very hard to damage dead kidneys!!

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »