I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 01, 2024, 11:32:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  What happens when my LINE is removed?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: What happens when my LINE is removed?  (Read 7029 times)
MattyBoy100

What's dialysis?

« on: August 25, 2006, 02:21:35 PM »

Yet another question,

I am waiting for my fistula to mature in about 6 weeks` time.  I am dialysing via a line in my upper chest at the moment.  Can anyone tell me what happens when my line is removed?  And why did I have to have an operation to  make the line but I`m being told that a nurse can remove it when my fistula is ready?

SCOTLAND NO.1
goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2006, 02:26:05 PM »

i've had two of those lines myself, dont know all the medical terms and mumbo jumbo, but to take it out is quite fast and easy, they usually do it in the drs. office.  The only pain i recall is the shot of lidocaine they give you, but thats is only a couple of seconds.

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2006, 02:34:41 PM »

To put it in they have to "tunnel" it under your skin so it takes more than pulling it out. 

First time - put in under general anaesthetic the same time as fistula
First time - jerked out at the Dr's office

Second time - put in under general anaesthetic
Second time - taken out when kidney transplant was removed (Just worked out that way)

Third time - put in under local and then something went wrong and they put me out
Third time - it is NOT going to come out!

Epoman
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

Want to help out? Become a Premium Member today

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2006, 02:41:39 PM »

Yet another question,

I am waiting for my fistula to mature in about 6 weeks` time.  I am dialysing via a line in my upper chest at the moment.  Can anyone tell me what happens when my line is removed?  And why did I have to have an operation to  make the line but I`m being told that a nurse can remove it when my fistula is ready?

Do NOT let them remove that LINE until your fistula is working good, the line may get infected and you may have no choice, but if you can keep it in until your fistula is working good. TRUST ME! But taking it out is a piece of cake. They will pull it out and then apply pressure for a little while. Very easy nothing to worry about.

- Epoman
Owner/Administrator
13+ Years In-Center Hemo-Dialysis. (NO Transplant)
Current NxStage & PureFlow User.

Please help us advertise, post our link to other dialysis message boards. You
susie q

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2006, 03:58:02 PM »

What happens if the line is stuck?  Mine has been in for over 2 years :o
I don't wan't someone to yank an artery out or somethin'   :o :o
Still working on my fistula..  ::)
livecam
Elite Member

World's Best Beach..Lanikai..Oahu, Hawaii

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2006, 06:32:39 PM »

You'd be surprised at just how easily that thing will come out.  I've only had one that was installed under a local and removed without any anesthesia.  I was a bit apprehensive about taking it out but really it just slid right out.  The sutures were the only thing keeping it in and once they were cut out it came with a slight tug.
MelissaJean

it's better to find peace than understanding

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2006, 12:43:14 AM »

I was surprised how easily mine came out.  I practically had an anxiety attack before the nurse took it out and they had to give me some Atavan... which didn't really work.  I didn't understand how if I had to be put OUT to have it put in, why are they just going to pull it out... but it came out fine.  I saw the part that went to your heart and wow it was long!  I was shocked.

~Melissa~

"just run with me through rows of speeding cars"

- Born with Cystic Fibrosis
- Received double lung transplant 11/9/2001
- Complications from transplant:  Diabetes, Kidney Failure
- Started dialysis 6/6/06
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2006, 02:47:34 AM »

This is very good to know because now that my fistula is finally working I will be getting mine out soon. It is about time too! I have had mine for a little over a year now!

FREE Donor List for all Kidney Patients!

diagnosed ESRD 1982
PD 2/90 - 4/90, 5/02 - 6/05
Transplant 4/11/90
Hemo 7/05-present (Inclinic Fres. 2008k 3x/wk MWF)
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2006, 04:17:50 PM »

I had a catheter line fall out when I was sleeping.  Don't need to tell you the quick phone calss I made before going to the ER.  Noone seemed to worried about it at all.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2006, 04:18:06 PM »

I had a catheter line fall out when I was sleeping.  Don't need to tell you the quick phone calls I made before going to the ER.  Noone seemed to worried about it at all.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
kevno

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2006, 03:09:29 AM »

Make sure while they are using your fistula, you get the lines flushed at least once a week. To keep the lines working. Just in case the fistula does not work out OK.

But this little saying keeps me going!!

"RENAL PATIENTS NEVER GIVE UP!!!!!!"
deej

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2006, 08:08:14 AM »

I´ve had three catheter lines put in and each time with only a local anesthetic and all were taken out at the dialysis clinic with no anesthetic at all. It´s really easy and there´s no pain involved. There only thing that holds the lines in are the stitches. I´ve had the stitches fall out and had to have more put in  - also with just a local and at the clinic in the chair!

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave
safely in a well preserved body, but rather
to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting
"...holy shit...what a ride!"
MattyBoy100

What's dialysis?

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2006, 01:21:12 AM »

I asked at my unit and they said I will get a local and then they have to cut me a bit to remove the cuff of my line which is nearly in my neck and then they SIMPLY pull it out without any pain!  You know, when people say there is no pain you can virtually guarantee pain will be involved!!!

SCOTLAND NO.1
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2006, 01:26:14 AM »

Make sure while they are using your fistula, you get the lines flushed at least once a week. To keep the lines working. Just in case the fistula does not work out OK.
Ya they flush my lines every single Friday with heparin.

I asked at my unit and they said I will get a local and then they have to cut me a bit to remove the cuff of my line which is nearly in my neck and then they SIMPLY pull it out without any pain!  You know, when people say there is no pain you can virtually guarantee pain will be involved!!!
Yes but with our lives .. it kinda is one of those things .. you get used to a little pain. But it won't be much I assume at all.

diagnosed ESRD 1982
Transplant 4/11/90
MattyBoy100

What's dialysis?

« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2006, 01:31:19 AM »

Hi angieskidney,

why are you up at 4am over there??? I`m in the UK and its 930 in the morning here.  You should be in your bed!!!

SCOTLAND NO.1
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2006, 02:03:23 AM »

Hi angieskidney,

why are you up at 4am over there??? I`m in the UK and its 930 in the morning here.  You should be in your bed!!!
shhh :P Going to bed now ;) (I don't like to go to bed with unread posts lol  :-[)

diagnosed ESRD 1982
Transplant 4/11/90
hephziba

« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2006, 04:36:03 AM »

Hey mattyboy,

there are two different types of neckline, the temp one, which they simply removed the stiches and yank, and the permcath or tunnelled line, which has two cuffs under the skin, your own skin grows around the cuffs so that it doesn't fall out, when they remove it they have to cut skin from around the cuffs, I have had this done twice and its pretty much painless.

God who comforts the downhearted comforted me again by your visit.
MattyBoy100

What's dialysis?

« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2006, 01:14:53 PM »

Thanks heph,

I think I have the permcath.  I seem to only be able to feel one cuff but am pretty sure the nurse said my line was semi permanent.  I`m not scared of pain I just don`t like being in pain after people BS me about no pain.  I had a biopsy and my Doc said it didn`t hurt.  Well, the procedure didn`t hurt but half an hour afterwards I was in agony, thought I was gonna pass out with PAIN!!!  I asked the nurses for some painkillers and was told I would need a Doc to issue them but I couldn`t see a Doc cos they were all on LUNCH!!!  By the time the lunch was over, my pain had subsided to AGONY!!!

SCOTLAND NO.1
AlasdairUK

« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2006, 03:47:53 PM »

Hi,

Just to add to the previous comments.

When they put in a permcath they need to make sure that the lungs are not punctured and should use an x-ray gun to help guide the permcath into position. When the permcath is removed they will make a small cut where the permcath is under the skin, but still above the ribs. This is where the cuff (my cuff was referred to as a noad) is and the tissue grows onto it. They will cut the tissue away and then the permcath pulls out very easily.

Cheers,
Alasdair.

94 - PD for 3 months
94 - HD Permcath for 3 months
95 - RLD Transplant 10 years
2005 - HD Permcath 6 months
2006 - 2008 HDF Fistula
2008 - 2nd Transplant
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2006, 05:55:58 PM »

Hey mattyboy,

there are two different types of neckline, the temp one, which they simply removed the stitches and yank, and the permcath or tunnelled line, which has two cuffs under the skin, your own skin grows around the cuffs so that it doesn't fall out, when they remove it they have to cut skin from around the cuffs, I have had this done twice and its pretty much painless.

Ya the picture I posted earlier in this thread is a tunnelled one.

diagnosed ESRD 1982
Transplant 4/11/90
Kelly528

« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2006, 04:58:02 PM »

I am not sure about other dialysis units, but before a central line or IJ is removed the fistula or graft has to be mature and useable. You also should have a fistulogram done on your access to make sure there is no stenosis/narrowing of the access. Once this is done and everything checks out than they should remove your line. Usually done in a doctor's office with a doctor performing the removal of your central line. Once in the doctor's office they use a local anesthetic like lidocaine to numb the site. The doctor than proceeds to remove it. If it's tunnelled you may feel pressure when he is pulling it, sometimes the tissue grows around it so he may have to exert extra pressure to remove it. After it is removed pressure is applied. You made have a stitch or two over the site.
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2006, 10:43:47 PM »

I am not sure about other dialysis units, but before a central line or IJ is removed the fistula or graft has to be mature and useable. You also should have a fistulogram done on your access to make sure there is no stenosis/narrowing of the access. Once this is done and everything checks out than they should remove your line.
Ya I had narrowing and they said I can ask the Neph about removal of the line in 2 weeks when he comes by the dialysis unit.

diagnosed ESRD 1982
Transplant 4/11/90
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »