I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 06:38:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  I finally had to do it!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: I finally had to do it!  (Read 4663 times)
kellyt
Elite Member

« on: December 27, 2008, 09:32:51 PM »

I had to break down and shave my FACE!!!!!     :rofl;     Did I mention how much I HATE Prednisone!    I'm at 17.5 mg and dropping every 2-3 weeks!  I should be at 10 mg the 2nd week in February!  The countdown begins!

I used our buzz clippers and took the peach fuzz off my face and neck.  It looks much better.

1993 diagnosed with glomerulonephritis.
Oct 41, 2007 - Got fistula placed.
Feb 13, 2008 - Activated on "the list".
Nov 5, 2008 - Received living donor transplant from my sister-in-law, Etta.
Nov 5, 2011 - THREE YEARS POST TRANSPLANT!  :D
Wenchie58
Elite Member

Always carrying the big silly grin!

« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2008, 09:40:59 PM »

Kelly  I feel your pain!  Between the extra facial hair and the hair on my head falling out in clumps....I should be a raving beauty soon.  BUT......I will be a PEEING raving beauty!  Keep smiling...we will get through this!  I was at 150 mg of prednisone for the first two weeks (rejection issues) just dropped to 10 mg.  My transplant was Oct 24th.

Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning Satan shudders and says "Oh s**t, she's awake!"

Right nephrectomy 1963
Diagnosed ESRD 2007
"Listed" summer 2007
Transplant 3/6 match  10/24/08
Stacy Without An E

God's Action Figure

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2008, 10:17:46 PM »

Why oh why oh why do they still use steroid immunosuppressives?  They're incredibly dangerous and the side effects are murder.

I was on 20mg daily in college and I just had a little mini U.C. Davis reunion.  One of them was put on prednisone later in life and said they understand now why I was so crazy.

I'm looking forward to the day when they can take a few kidney cells, grow a new kidney in a lab and surgically insert it without medication.

That day may never come though because too many people are making boatloads of money off suffering Dialysis patients.

Stacy Without An E

1st Kidney Transplant: May 1983
2nd Kidney Transplant: January 1996
3rd Kidney Transplant: Any day now.

The Adventures of Stacy Without An E
stacywithoutane.blogspot.com

Dialysis.  Two needles.  One machine.  No compassion.
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2008, 10:37:38 PM »

So kelly, did you ask your husband pointers on how to shave your face and neck? :rofl; :rofl; :rofl;

Sorry, devil made me say it. >:D

I'm glad I was never on that stuff, I might have had to shave twice a day :o , but wish I had the hair falling out problem like some do with Prograf, then I wouldn't have to shave. ;D

Gotta love these side effects of meds

Diabetes -  age 7

Neuropathy in legs age 10

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
   -glaucoma and surgery for that
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Diagnosed with ESRD June 29, 1999
1st Dialysis - July 4, 1999
Last Dialysis - December 2, 2000

Kidney and Pancreas Transplant - December 3, 2000

Cataract Surgery on good eye - June 24, 2009
Knee Surgery 2010
2011/2012 in process of getting a guide dog
Guide Dog Training begins July 2, 2012 in NY
Guide Dog by end of July 2012
Next eye surgery late 2012 or 2013 if I feel like it
Home with Guide dog - July 27, 2012
Knee Surgery #2 - Oct 15, 2012
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012
Lifes Adventures -  Priceless

No two day's are the same, are they?
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2008, 11:51:44 PM »

I don't know why some centers still use prednisone and others reserve it for rejection rescue only.

Jenna only had it for 3 days post-op, nothing since, so she had none of the side effects.

Kelly, have you heard of threading? Facial Threading is the best alternative to waxing and tweezing, especially for sensitive skin. Threading is by far the least invasive method of hair removal, leaving the skin clean and smooth.

It lasts 3 to 4 weeks. Not sure what they charge for it though.

Sorry Kelly - hope things settle down soon!

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
Wattle
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2008, 12:50:19 AM »

:cuddle;

PKD
June 2005 Commenced PD Dialysis
July 13th 2009 Cadaveric 5/6 Antigen Match Transplant from my Special Angel
charee
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2008, 02:07:59 AM »

I hear you Kelly, I have a great looking mow at the moment just went out and got some hair removal cream . I'm down to 10mg  of prednisone oh and did i   mention i look like i have cheek implants :( but at least i can pee ;D

Home Hemo  18 months
Live donor transplant 28th October 2008
from my beautiful sister
Royal Prince Alfred Sydney Australia

Live donors rock
kellyt
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2008, 04:36:01 AM »

I understand about the cheek implants, as well!  If I smile too big I can't see!   :rofl;

At 10 mg the side effects will start deminishing.  And at 5 mg there really should be no side effects at all.  My transplant doctor has said that he fully plans on weaning me off the Prednisone 100%, but obviously if that isn't possible I will stay at 5 mg baseline.  He said that there are hospitals that "advertise" "steroid free transplants".  The anti-rejection meds are apparently very good these days.

I feel guilty because it's total vanity!  I am truly grateful and can deal with whatever I must to keep this kidney, but I feel like a ballonn that's about to pop!  Other than sweats, I only have maybe 3 pair of pants that are comfortable.  Thankfully it's chilly outside and I can wear sweaters that hide my big tummy!

Thanks for the support!

Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2008, 07:51:26 AM »

Stacy..... I worked in Davis, CA for 5 years on the corner of 5th and G.  Did you have a bike?  HA

I was on Prednisone 10mg for 17 years.  I could never recognize myself in photos.  OMG who is that pig????  I honestly looked like Miss Piggy with glasses.  I hated it but again I was peeing, traveling and loving the energy I felt.  If you get down to 5mg you should do well.  Just remember to go down slowly.  Very slowly.

kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2008, 12:15:23 PM »

Walmart for comfy pants.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2008, 12:26:11 PM »

After my transplant I went for electrolysis on my face but it was way too time consuming and even though it was paid for me by the government since it was a side effect of meds (cyclosporine is the worst culprit) I wasn't prepared to do it.  I bought myself a very nice Braun razor that can be used wet, irritates my skin way less, and have been shaving my chin and upper lip for the since 1985.  It has made my chin skin a little coarser but nothing dramatic and I don't sweat it at all.  I also shave my forearms because I looked at some canoe trip pictures once and thought I was seeing my brother's hairy arms but no, those were mine!  For the wilderness canoe tripping that we did for a number of years, my husband bought me a tiny battery powered razor and that was great because I found it tough getting down to the river early early to shave in freezing water and my pride never allowed me to just grow out my beard like the guys did.  Women don't seem to want to do these trips so it was always just men and me.  The very peach fuzzy look disappeared after about a year.

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
donnia
Elite Member

me and my donor Joyce

« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2008, 01:10:50 PM »

Gurl... you know I feel your pain!!! 

As far as comfy pants... go to Avenue and get the Yoga pants!  They are waaay comfy and can be used with tennis shoes or dress shoes.  My transplant dr said that in June he will start weaning me off of the drug from hell and I can't wait!  He did tell me also that the statistics show that 5% more kidneys survive the first year if they use the prednisone.  After the first year the stats aren't any different with or without the prednisone.

Born with one kidney 1972
Ureter re-constructured 1975 (reflux had already damaged the kidney)
Diagnosed and treated for high blood pressure 2000
Diagnosed ESRF October 2006
Started dialysis September 2007
Last dialysis June 4, 2008
Transplant from my hero, Joyce, June 5, 2008
Sunny
Elite Member

Sunny

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2008, 01:33:43 PM »

I was on high doses of prednisone to treat Goodpasture's Disease, an auto-immune disease that caused my kidney problems.
I turned into an aggressive hellraiser not to mention the physical side effects that made me unrecognizable. I would have been a good football player (female and all).
True "roid rage" took hold and I could hardly help myself. I made sure my husband did all the disciplining after I grabbed my little daughter too violently one time.
I was so eager to get off the prednisone that I weaned myself too quickly and ended up with horrendous bone and muscle pain, so beware of that.Things get better on lower doses so hang in there. A 5 mg maintenance dosage will make all the difference, though I hope you can get off it completely some day. Keeping your transplant makes it worthwhile.

Sunny, 49 year old female
 pre-dialysis with GoodPastures
kellyt
Elite Member

« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2008, 02:01:50 PM »

Yes, slow weaning is the key.  I'm currently going down 2.5 mg every 2-3 weeks and once I hit 10 mg I think I go down 1 mg every month until 5 mg.  Once I hit 5 mg I'm not sure if that's where I'll stay or we'll continue at 1 mg or .5 mg or what.

For anyone who it interested in joining me - I'm going to start doing Weight Watchers at home starting tomorrow.  I wholeheartedly plan on joining and attending meetings, but I want to see if I can lose any weight in the first few weeks first.  I don't want to spend all that money just to "maintain" my weight while on the Prednisone, although maintaining would disappoint me.  I would just rather do it at home and not pay.  Once I start losing weight I'll join the meetings.

I have all the info on points, etc. so I'll be happy to share.

nursewratchet

"Either do it, or don't do it, don't try"

« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2008, 02:18:38 PM »

Kelly,  one of my coowrkers did Weight Watchers.  She lost a lot of wieght, and has kept it off long term.  I think you'll be surprised how much weight you will lose after Pred.  Weight Watchers is supposed to be pretty easy. :cheer:

RN, Facility Administrator 2002 to present
RN, Staff Nurse 1996-2002
Vicki
Slywalker

« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2008, 03:11:15 PM »

Gee Kelly - tough break.  I guess I am one of the lucky ones - I didn't have to take predisone at all.  WHEW - however the Prograf did make me lose hair for a while - that was no fun.  I was getting pretty nervous as I lost all my hair when I did chemo and I didn't want that again.  The doc told me that in women a prograf side effect is to lose hair and in men it is to grow hair - another NO fair situation between genders..... :urcrazy;

Hang tough - this too should pass

Sandyb

:bunny:
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2008, 03:38:01 PM »

Gee Kelly - tough break.  I guess I am one of the lucky ones - I didn't have to take predisone at all.  WHEW - however the Prograf did make me lose hair for a while - that was no fun.  I was getting pretty nervous as I lost all my hair when I did chemo and I didn't want that again.  The doc told me that in women a prograf side effect is to lose hair and in men it is to grow hair - another NO fair situation between genders..... :urcrazy;

Sandyb

That is one side effect I haven't had with Prograf. Not missing it either having excessive hair growth.

Diabetes -  age 7

Neuropathy in legs age 10

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
   -glaucoma and surgery for that
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Diagnosed with ESRD June 29, 1999
1st Dialysis - July 4, 1999
Last Dialysis - December 2, 2000

Kidney and Pancreas Transplant - December 3, 2000

Cataract Surgery on good eye - June 24, 2009
Knee Surgery 2010
2011/2012 in process of getting a guide dog
Guide Dog Training begins July 2, 2012 in NY
Guide Dog by end of July 2012
Next eye surgery late 2012 or 2013 if I feel like it
Home with Guide dog - July 27, 2012
Knee Surgery #2 - Oct 15, 2012
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012
Lifes Adventures -  Priceless

No two day's are the same, are they?
kellyt
Elite Member

« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2008, 03:49:15 PM »

Sandyb

I have a lot of hair on my head (thick) and I usually lose a fair amount, even before Prograf.  I haven't noticed it being any more since being on Prograf.  How long does the side effect of of losing hair last?  I need to pay attention to this...

Thanks!

Wenchie58
Elite Member

« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2008, 04:14:11 PM »

Kelly
  The docs told me that my hair would "thin" using Prograf and they were right.  I have been taking it now for 9 weeks at above average levels due to rejection issues.  I see no bald spots and I also had thick hair so now its just thinner.  When it started to fall out more and more I cut it from waist length to just above my ears and donated it to Locks of Love, figured someone might as well get the use of it.
  Another sarcastic, but comical way I look at things....I have much much less hair growth on my legs....so I save the time shaving them to work on my chin!!  :urcrazy;  Gotta see the bright side of everything!

Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning Satan shudders and says "Oh s**t, she's awake!"

Right nephrectomy 1963
Diagnosed ESRD 2007
"Listed" summer 2007
pelagia
Elite Member

« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2008, 04:36:55 PM »

My husband was losing some hair, but that seems to have slowed down.  Doesn't seem to be growing any extra hair... He is still eating like crazy and is also watching more football!  ;D  I think he's down to 7.5 mg prednisone/day at 7+ months.

As for me, I'll borrow this thought: "Having never experienced kidney disease, I had no idea how crucial kidney function is to the rest of the body." - KD
Wenchie58
Elite Member

« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2008, 04:40:00 PM »

Ohhhhh no.....which drug is going to make me watch football??  I can't imagine!!  <snicker> :P

Right nephrectomy 1963
Diagnosed ESRD 2007
"Listed" summer 2007
kellyt
Elite Member

« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2008, 04:56:10 PM »

I have noticed that the hair on my legs is much softer and doesn't grow back as fast!  I'm not complaining about that, but I didn't put that together with the Prograf!   Now that side effect I like!   :clap;

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »