I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 01, 2024, 06:33:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Fistula matters
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Fistula matters  (Read 29324 times)
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #75 on: July 22, 2006, 04:21:43 AM »

what is a "flash"???

FREE Donor List for all Kidney Patients!

diagnosed ESRD 1982
PD 2/90 - 4/90, 5/02 - 6/05
Transplant 4/11/90
Hemo 7/05-present (Inclinic Fres. 2008k 3x/wk MWF)
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #76 on: July 22, 2006, 10:52:09 AM »

When the needle goes into the vein there is a backwash into the needle, they call this a flash. You can tell when the tech sees it they change the direction of the needle from an angle to straight so they can stay in the fistula area or graft area.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2006, 10:03:12 AM by kitkatz » Logged

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #77 on: July 22, 2006, 11:25:45 AM »

When the needle goe sinto the vein there is a backwash into the needle, they call this a flash. You can tell when the tech sees it they change the direction of the needle from an angle to straight so they can stay in the fistula area or graft area.
Ah okay! Thanks :) I want to learn all this so that I can eventually learn to stab myself ;)

diagnosed ESRD 1982
Transplant 4/11/90
Epoman
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

Want to help out? Become a Premium Member today

« Reply #78 on: July 22, 2006, 11:28:35 AM »

When the needle goe sinto the vein there is a backwash into the needle, they call this a flash. You can tell when the tech sees it they change the direction of the needle from an angle to straight so they can stay in the fistula area or graft area.

I never get a "flashback".

- Epoman
Owner/Administrator
13+ Years In-Center Hemo-Dialysis. (NO Transplant)
Current NxStage & PureFlow User.

Please help us advertise, post our link to other dialysis message boards. You
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #79 on: July 22, 2006, 11:29:30 AM »

Maybe you are doing it wrong???? >:D >:D >:D

Just KIDDING, Epoman.  Don't get yer panties in a wad!

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Epoman
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #80 on: July 22, 2006, 11:34:18 AM »

No, I'm just saying, I WISH I got "flashbacks" that way I would know if I am in.  :(

- Epoman
Owner/Administrator

angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #81 on: July 22, 2006, 11:48:45 AM »

No, I'm just saying, I WISH I got "flashbacks" that way I would know if I am in.  :(

How come you don't get one? I would have thought everyone did.

diagnosed ESRD 1982
Transplant 4/11/90
Epoman
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #82 on: July 22, 2006, 12:00:48 PM »

I was told that when your fistula is as big as mine, flashback is not as common, it has to do with the space inside, you get flasback when the fistula is small and there is no room for the blood to flow except in your needle. But when the vein gets so big the blood can move around the needle instead of going in it. Make sense?  ??? I know sorry.  :(

- Epoman
Owner/Administrator

angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #83 on: July 22, 2006, 12:06:11 PM »

I was told that when your fistula is as big as mine, flashback is not as common, it has to do with the space inside, you get flashback when the fistula is small and there is no room for the blood to flow except in your needle. But when the vein gets so big the blood can move around the needle instead of going in it. Make sense?  ??? I know sorry.  :(

Oh wow! Yes that does make sense!! Thank you for explaining that to me :) I wish all my questions were answered as fast and concise as this :) Thx! lol

diagnosed ESRD 1982
Transplant 4/11/90
Panda_9

« Reply #84 on: July 23, 2006, 05:07:00 AM »

With my buttonholes I can tell I am in even if I didnt get a flashback (I do though). You can just feel that its in there. I do get clots though, so I withdraw about 5ml of blood before I flush with diluted heparin.
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #85 on: July 23, 2006, 07:10:32 PM »

With my buttonholes I can tell I am in even if I didnt get a flashback (I do though). You can just feel that its in there. I do get clots though, so I withdraw about 5ml of blood before I flush with diluted heparin.
Makes sense. I want to learn that but I was thinking how I use the Emla cream. If I have it on for exactly an hour or more then I won't be able to feel anything so I was thinking of only having it on for 50 min because then I can still feel it but it is less sensitive.

diagnosed ESRD 1982
Transplant 4/11/90
Panda_9

« Reply #86 on: July 23, 2006, 08:19:52 PM »

The main thing I find painful is taking the scabs off, but thats just because I use the local after doing that. With the cream you wouldnt have that problem. I dont really find the local painful. If you are like others angie, you may not even need the cream at all if you are doing buttonholes.
Epoman
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #87 on: July 23, 2006, 08:59:18 PM »

The main thing I find painful is taking the scabs off, but thats just because I use the local after doing that. With the cream you wouldnt have that problem. I dont really find the local painful. If you are like others angie, you may not even need the cream at all if you are doing buttonholes.

I have ZERO pain with the buttonhole technique. I just take the scabs off, again zero pain, then I just insert the needles and viola. I use no local what-so-ever. But even when I rotated and used sharps I had some pain but even then I never used a local of any kind.

- Epoman
Owner/Administrator

Panda_9

« Reply #88 on: July 23, 2006, 09:22:38 PM »

I've only been on hemo for 18 months, so Im hoping with time the buttonholes toughen up. I guess being on prednisone for over 10 years doesnt help either, maybe not, dont know.
slothluvchunk

« Reply #89 on: July 24, 2006, 04:16:12 PM »

Epoman: 
Are you using a tourniquet while cannulating?

If so you have a flash, visible or not. 
Mine's very small, and used to be invisible.  Blood pressure is also a consideration; I think someone with high blood pressure would have more of a flash compared to someone with lower blood pressure (assuming both fistulas are the same size).

Physics tells us that if there's less pressure inside the needle than there is in the fistula (which has to be true) there will be a flash, or some backwash of blood as the pressure equalizes. 
The fact that the blood travels down the tube after you release pressure at the other end confirms this.

It could be though, that there isn't much of one, and it remains invisible, as it isn't traveling far enough up the tube to be visible.  Your large fistula probably explains this, as the pressure inside your fistula might be considerably lower than someone else's smaller fistula.

Panda_9

« Reply #90 on: July 25, 2006, 04:33:04 AM »

A couple of times when I first started hemo there was no flashback until I had a look under where the tubing connects to the wings, where there was a small flashback.
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #91 on: July 25, 2006, 07:19:35 PM »

A couple of times when I first started hemo there was no flashback until I had a look under where the tubing connects to the wings, where there was a small flashback.
When I watch the nurse I get flashback.

diagnosed ESRD 1982
Transplant 4/11/90
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #92 on: July 28, 2006, 09:04:00 AM »

I worry about when I will do buttonhole because I have troubles with my fistula (it is still new but also very "snakey" and rolls a lot as well) but am surprised that you worry so much. You seem to be such an informed person that sometimes I forget that you just like the rest of us. I hope things get better for you. I have a high pulse too and I don't know if it is because the heart and fistula don't want to share all that blood (I read that somewhere) but worry can't help your pulse at all. Good luck with it all. And I hope the nurses keep cooperating with you!

Angie, my fistula is snakey as well, and it moves around. If you start having problems with a buttonhole, you can just make another one in a better spot. I have had to move mine around a few times. I am now back to using the 2 original buttonholes. I also have a high heart rate, which Ive had since I first started getting rejection, but no one can tell me why. It has settled down a lot now and I think it usually hangs around 80-110 resting. Occasionally I have noticed it lower than that, but to be honest I don't really take notice of it. I mentioned it to the doctor yesterday (they actually did rounds at the home in-centre!), and she mentioned something about the high blood flow in my fistula. I think she also said something about a HR monitor, but as usual they don't talk to you directly, so I didn't hear what she said. I'll soon find out.

I decided to quote this here .. hope that is okay .. reason being .. it is related and don't want to take Epoman's thread off topic by talking about me :P lol

Anyway, that is good advice! Thank you! I haven't learned buttonhole yet but I am hoping it will be soon.

Anyone have any more advice for me and my snakey fistula?

diagnosed ESRD 1982
Transplant 4/11/90
Epoman
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #93 on: July 28, 2006, 03:46:13 PM »

Epoman: 
Are you using a tourniquet while cannulating?
No, I NEVER used a tourniquet, only the first couple of times.

If so you have a flash, visible or not. 
Mine's very small, and used to be invisible.  Blood pressure is also a consideration; I think someone with high blood pressure would have more of a flash compared to someone with lower blood pressure (assuming both fistulas are the same size).
When my pressure is 250/150 = No Flashback, when my pressure is 90/50 = No Flashback

Physics tells us that if there's less pressure inside the needle than there is in the fistula (which has to be true) there will be a flash, or some backwash of blood as the pressure equalizes. 
The fact that the blood travels down the tube after you release pressure at the other end confirms this.
Of course there is a flashback, but we are talking about a VISABLE flashback, arn't we?

It could be though, that there isn't much of one, and it remains invisible, as it isn't traveling far enough up the tube to be visible.  Your large fistula probably explains this, as the pressure inside your fistula might be considerably lower than someone else's smaller fistula.
Yeah, that's what I said earlier.

- Epoman
Owner/Administrator

slothluvchunk

« Reply #94 on: July 28, 2006, 04:31:23 PM »

Quote from: Epoman
Of course there is a flashback, but we are talking about a VISABLE flashback, arn't we?

Indeed, but with the importance of posterity here, I thought it important to make clear to those now (or in the future) who aren't familiar with what we're talking about that you are indeed flashing, you just aren't seeing it.

I would hate for someone to think something's wrong with their access just because they couldn't see the flash that all of the folks online were talking about. :)

slothluvchunk, I NEED you to learn to QUOTE correctly, this is about the 3rd or 4th post that you have quoted incorrectly. This is NOT a quote:

THIS is a quote:

I need you to fix your posts.

- Epoman
Owner/Admin
« Last Edit: July 28, 2006, 08:16:30 PM by Epoman » Logged

angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #95 on: July 28, 2006, 07:22:03 PM »

Of course there is a flashback, but we are talking about a VISABLE flashback, aren't we?

Indeed, but with the importance of posterity here, I thought it important to make clear to those now (or in the future) who aren't familiar with what we're talking about that you are indeed flashing, you just aren't seeing it.

I would hate for someone to think something's wrong with their access just because they couldn't see the flash that all of the folks online were talking about. :)

Exactly! I mean .. I am new to hemo dialysis and I didn't even know WHAT a flash was before I read it here. I just learn what ever you guys describe! Please be as detailed as possible so I don't need to DEPEND on my nurses who are too busy to explain every little detail .. thx. (Just a request but you can ignore me if you want because I am not that important anyway :P )

diagnosed ESRD 1982
Transplant 4/11/90
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
« previous next »