I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 09, 2024, 12:30:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Dad is admitted to hospital again
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dad is admitted to hospital again  (Read 3028 times)
Roxanne610

I just dont know anymore!!!

« on: December 12, 2008, 11:15:52 AM »

Hello everyone,
Dad went to the Dr's today to check his fistula and they ended up admitted him.  He is weak and dehydrated again....This is so terrible seeing him suffer like this its so not fair....

EDITED: Removed all caps from subject line - Sluff/Admin

« Last Edit: December 12, 2008, 12:45:51 PM by Sluff » Logged

My DAD:
Cirrohsis at 32 from Hepatitis C,,,,50 Liver Failure from Hep C, 52 Liver Transplant, 2000 Lymphoma from Anti Rejection Meds treated and has been fine. 
Present:  Kidney failure from Meds for the liver transplant
Hepatitis C is very very active which is damaging the liver they are worried that he may need a liver transplant to, but until he is strong enough to get the liver biopsy.  And now he is hit with blood infection that he caught in the hospital ( i feel from nurses being not gentle enough with him)....
Started Dialysis Nov 08...Just waiting to see what the miserable Hep C disease is doing to our liver before we can even think about a kidney transplant!!!! :(

Roxanne  :(
My prayers and thoughts are with everyone!!!
wrandym

Whatever, dude!

« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2008, 11:21:55 AM »

So sorry to hear that, Roxanne.  Hope he levels out soon and gets to feeling better

Abyssus abyssum invocat

1982 Diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes-started on pork insulin
1999 Started showing protein in urine
2000 Retinal issues began-ended with losing sight in both eyes due to retinal detachment-sight returned by surgery
2003 Started on Insulin Pump
2008 November started hemodialysis
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2008, 11:30:17 AM »

Sending hugs to you and your family Roxanne.   :grouphug; :cuddle; :grouphug;

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
thegrammalady
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2008, 11:31:27 AM »

:grouphug; :grouphug; :grouphug; hopefully he'll be home soon

s
......................................................................................
If you can smile when things go wrong, you have someone in mind to blame.

Lead me not into temptation, I can find it myself.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning how to dance in the rain.

Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

Meddle Not In The Affairs Of Dragons
For You Are Crunchy And Taste Good With Ketchup
willieandwinnie
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2008, 11:36:09 AM »

:grouphug; Roxanne. I hope they can help him.  :cuddle;

"I know there's nothing to it, but I want to know what it is there's nothing to"
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2008, 12:44:30 PM »

I will pray that he gets better.
Ang
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2008, 05:53:32 PM »

if  he's  dehyddrated, its  most  likely  got to  do  with

fluid  removal  and  body  weight,which  in  turn  can  screw  up  his  fistula

live  life  to  the  full  and you won't  die  wondering
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2008, 07:09:41 PM »

Praying your Dad starts to do better.  Take care of yourself during all of this.   :cuddle;

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
Run8

308-850-5711

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2008, 07:17:21 PM »

Sorry to hear that Roxanne, hope your dad starts to feel better soon. And take care of yourself.
Roxanne610

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2008, 09:26:23 PM »

Hello,,,we just got home from the hospital we were told they are going to start Dialysis tomorrow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  We are praying this will help him he looks terrible,he is slowly dying and it  is so sad words cant describe the hurt my family and me feel....

Today he went to the doctor and when he saw him today for his appointment for his fistula he took one look at him and said he has to get admitted....He is sooooo very week it doesnt even look like my dad which im so upset about!!!!!!!!  He also is getting these weird hiccups  they are saying from the kidneys?????????????  Also he has a very sore throat anyone familiar with those symptoms?????????

Pray everyone we need it bad we are so scared I will just die if anything happens to him!!!!!!!!! Also will it hurt him tomorrow being its his first time?  And how will he feel afterwards any words of hope will be so appreciated.  You all are so nice and I just wanna thank you for being there to answer my questions!!!!!!!!!!!  ITS SO SCARY >:(

My DAD:
Cirrohsis at 32 from Hepatitis C,,,,50 Liver Failure from Hep C, 52 Liver Transplant, 2000 Lymphoma from Anti Rejection Meds treated and has been fine. 
Hepatitis C is very very active which is damaging the liver they are worried that he may need a liver transplant to, but until he is strong enough to get the liver biopsy.  And now he is hit with blood infection that he caught in the hospital ( i feel from nurses being not gentle enough with him)....
Started Dialysis Nov 08...Just waiting to see what the miserable Hep C disease is doing to our liver before we can even think about a kidney transplant!!!! :(

Run8

308-850-5711

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2008, 02:31:28 PM »

Hey Roxanne, are they using his fistula or does he have a cath.? If he is using his fistula they could always use Cream or spray to numb the area. Other than that it doest hurt just gets boring sitting there for that much time. Have himtake a good book or movie. As far as the hiccups, i had them once for the whole Day, boy it hurt.
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2008, 02:43:10 PM »

The hiccups and the sore throat CAN be from the kidney disease Roxanne  Starting D is tough but it is really what your Dad needs in order to start back on the road to feeling a bit better.  Everything won't be magically better after just one dialysis though because it will take several treatments over a bit of time to clear away the toxins that have been building up.   It took me about a month to start feeling better but we're all different and you Dad may take longer.  The main thing to remember is that without dialysis he will die but with it he has a chance to recover, not to perfect health because dialysis only replaces a fraction of our kidney function, but hopefully to a person you can recognize as your Dad.

This is very very hard Roxanne and we know how much you love your Dad.  I'm sure it's torture for him too, knowing how much your whole family is suffering. 
 :grouphug;

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
jessup

Gemma - the tucker monster

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2008, 04:06:04 PM »

Hey mate
Hang in there
Your story sounds similar to my Dad's.
I really thought Dad was dying when he had his kidneys removed
Now - 6 months later - he looks heaps better and feels heaps better.
Monrein said it so well
Starting D is tough but it is really what your Dad needs in order to start back on the road to feeling a bit better. Everything won't be magically better after just one dialysis though because it will take several treatments over a bit of time to clear away the toxins that have been building up. It took me about a month to start feeling better but we're all different and you Dad may take longer. The main thing to remember is that without dialysis he will die but with it he has a chance to recover, not to perfect health because dialysis only replaces a fraction of our kidney function, but hopefully to a person you can recognize as your Dad.

This is very very hard Roxanne and we know how much you love your Dad. I'm sure it's torture for him too, knowing how much your whole family is suffering.
 :grouphug;

Stay strong and think positive  :boxing;
My thoughts and wishes to your Dad, you and family
 :grouphug; :grouphug; :grouphug;
Roxanne610

« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2008, 08:35:55 PM »

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and kind words.  Well today they started the dialysis but they only cleaned the blood not fluids, but yet he doesnt have alot of fluid it seems. No change yet but we didnt expect it...  The poor guy now has thrush in his throat which is sooooooooooo painful....So untop of not being able to eat now his poor throat is killing him to even take his medicine but he does it... :cheer:     My dad the trooper!!!!  Whats so sad is he lost more weight he now weighs 121lbs....at 5'11 he was skinny skinny at 131 pounds you cant even imagine how skinny he is now....Its so terrible...
 >:( >:(
Tuesday he goes for a liver biopsy because they are scared that his liver transplant is either in rejection or being damaged from the hep c...So we need some big prayers everyone please pray that it will only be rejection the drs can control that with steriods if its the other we are in lots of trouble...

My DAD:

Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2008, 10:44:40 PM »

Prayers for better days ahead.
cris

Nanay, superwoman, super dooper, best mother

« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2008, 10:56:06 PM »

Roxanne,
This is a tough time. Pray, pray hard. Your family is in my prayers tonight. Our family have been in your shoes. The thing that really made us survive is lots of prayers, love and tons of questions to the doctors and being very keen on what the nurses, doctors and medicines were doing to Mom. Just don't take anything what they say, kidney disease is a very special, i would say treacherous disease, it can break anyone if you let your guard down. But with the strength that your Dad has, I am sure he will be good soon.
love,
cris

there is no greater love than this: "that a man lays down his life for his friend"
Roxanne610

« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2008, 08:55:11 AM »

thanks oh you best belive we are up with the doctors and nurses,,, i usually terrorize them by all the information I wanna know from them and then when I hit them with all the information I know if i dont feel there doing something right..i totally agree with you......you have to be aware of everything the drs are doing....

My DAD:

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »