I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 10, 2024, 02:28:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Question about Dad
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Question about Dad  (Read 2251 times)
Roxanne610

I just dont know anymore!!!

« on: December 03, 2008, 07:35:12 PM »

Hello everyone,,,

I told my dad i would ask this question for him.  He says some days he feels as though the food he is trying to eat wont go down.  He has had every test done under the sun and everything came back ok, so I was just wondering has anyone experienced this symptom?  He wears false teeth so he even took them out but that doesnt help...Were baffled just thought maybe someone knew something about this...

Roxanne

PS...Hope everyone is doing well Hugs and kisses to all....
xoxoxox

My DAD:
Cirrohsis at 32 from Hepatitis C,,,,50 Liver Failure from Hep C, 52 Liver Transplant, 2000 Lymphoma from Anti Rejection Meds treated and has been fine. 
Present:  Kidney failure from Meds for the liver transplant
Hepatitis C is very very active which is damaging the liver they are worried that he may need a liver transplant to, but until he is strong enough to get the liver biopsy.  And now he is hit with blood infection that he caught in the hospital ( i feel from nurses being not gentle enough with him)....
Started Dialysis Nov 08...Just waiting to see what the miserable Hep C disease is doing to our liver before we can even think about a kidney transplant!!!! :(

Roxanne  :(
My prayers and thoughts are with everyone!!!
boxman55
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2008, 07:45:07 PM »

Hey Roxanne, I don't have an answer for you but I can say that somedays for me I just don't want to eat I have no appetite then the next day I will be fine and eat regular. So I don't know what to tell your Dad except keep trying cuz we gotta eat...Boxman

"Be the change you wished to be"
Started Hemodialysis 8/14/06
Lost lower right leg 5/16/08 due to Diabetes
Sister was denied donation to me for medical reasons 1/2008
G-Ma
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2008, 08:01:19 PM »

No answer either however I also can go for a week with no appetite but have to force myself to eat, now the dietician gave me the name of a protein liquid supplement that she says is very good in grape and only need 1 oz per day or whatever your dietician recommends.  I ordered some yesterday as my protein is too low.  It is LiquaCel Liquid Protein Supplement, 32 oz bottle for $36.50 in grape or orange..she said her patients like grape best.  The company is Global Health, very nice customer service at 1 800 638 2870, they were out of the bottles but have 1 oz packets so are sending me 30 and said if the clinic orders it is cheaper so I'm going to ask them if they will order the next time.  I like the idea of only having to drink one oz.
Ann

Lost vision due to retinopathy 12/2005, 30 Laser Surg 2006
ESRD diagnosed 12/2006
03/2007 Fantastic Eye Surgeon in ND got my sight back and implanted lenses in both eyes, great distance & low reading.
Gortex 4/07.  Started dialysis in ND 5/4/2007
Gortex clotted off Thanksgiving Week of 2007, was unclotted and promptly clotted off 1/2 hour later so Permacath Rt chest.
3/2008 move to NC to be close to children.
2 Step fistula, 05/08-elevated 06/08, using mid August.
Aug 5, 08, trained NxStage and Home on 9/3/2008.
Fistulagram 09/2008. In hospital 10/30/08, Bowel Obstruction.
Back to RAI-Latrobe In Center. No home hemo at this time.
GOD IS GOOD
Meinuk

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2008, 08:08:18 PM »

There are other issues at play here as well, has he always been used to drinking with his meals?  Fluid restriction - while necessary is a trained adjustment for your body.  If he has had a lifetime of liquid with his meals, he may be having a harder time digesting.  Smaller, more frequent portions may help while he gets used to this new restricted lifestyle and overall loss of appetite.  (nausea is also a symptom)

Research Dialysis Units:  http://projects.propublica.org/dialysis/

52 with PKD
deceased donor transplant 11/2/08
nxstage 10/07 - 11/08;  30LS/S; 20LT/W/R  @450
temp. permcath:  inserted 5/07 - removed 7/19/07
in-center hemo:  m/w/f 1/12/07
list: 6/05
a/v fistula: 5/05
NxStage training diary post (10/07):  http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=5229.0
Newspaper article: Me dialyzing alone:  http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=7332.0
Transplant post 11/08):  http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=10893.msg187492#msg187492
Fistula removal post (7/10): http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=18735.msg324217#msg324217
Post Transplant Skin Cancer (2/14): http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=30659.msg476547#msg476547

“To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of thought.” - Henri Poincare
Roxanne610

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2008, 11:54:01 PM »

No he hasn't had fluid restriction,,,,somedays he eats little bits,,,somedays he eats and throws up,,,but yet his levels are OK, they say not enough to be on a renal diet...I don't know so confused we have three to five more weeks before he can start dialysis....I hope he is strong enough to make it,,,its rough because we have so many other issues as you all know.... :Kit n Stik;

My DAD:
Cirrohsis at 32 from Hepatitis C,,,,50 Liver Failure from Hep C, 52 Liver Transplant, 2000 Lymphoma from Anti Rejection Meds treated and has been fine. 
Hepatitis C is very very active which is damaging the liver they are worried that he may need a liver transplant to, but until he is strong enough to get the liver biopsy.  And now he is hit with blood infection that he caught in the hospital ( i feel from nurses being not gentle enough with him)....
Started Dialysis Nov 08...Just waiting to see what the miserable Hep C disease is doing to our liver before we can even think about a kidney transplant!!!! :(

monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2008, 05:01:32 AM »

When I was pre-dialysis I went to see the dietician because I thought I would become malnourished.  I never felt like eating.  Half a piece of toast and I was done.  Even that could take half an hour to get down.  Normally I love my food and am careful to not eat too much because I don't want to be overweight.  The dietician recommended renal protein supplement drinks.  Suplena and Boost were the two I used.  Be sure that you get a renally friendly one.

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
Roxanne610

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2008, 07:44:22 PM »

Hello,,

Yes my mom did get him Suplena, the dietician said that has high calories..I know his symptom is so weird
dont know maybe just cause he cant eat..We have no idea...

today was a good day no throwing up...THANK GOD :cheer:

My DAD:

monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2008, 05:40:28 AM »

When we don't eat much for long periods of time, the stomach can really shrink so that very small amounts fill us up.  Also, loss of appetite and nausea, no matter what the blood work says, can make food very hard to swallow.  Literally.

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2008, 06:00:01 AM »

oooh hugs and kisses from the lovely Roxanne... damn I wish I had an answer worthy of those special gifts :) :) :)

I can only agree with the other comments - specially about appetite... sometimes I don't feel like eating much at all, and I know I definitely eat less than I used to. The drinking thing is part of it, but I also just don't feel the urge/desire to have a huge massive meal...

but having said that I've never felt like bringing it up. Well I did throw up just the once since starting dialysis. That was like a year ago and I think it was a very minor case of food poisioning from something bad I ate .. I felt fine afterwards.. I was worried it would become a regular thing but it just happened the once. I told the neph and he wasn't too concerned specially when it didn't happen again.

Good luck to your dad... I hope things can settle down for him a bit...

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
drinkboy

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2008, 08:04:49 AM »

Not sure if this will help....  after my mom had been on dialysis for a few years, her appetite definitely got smaller and she never really ate much compared to before her kidney issues.  But she also went through a period where she couldn't keep her food down, and they found she had gastritis as well as acid reflux.  But they did prescribe Aciphex (as well as another pill that I can't remember) and after a few months she was back to normal.
Not sure if that would help your father but I wanted to  throw it out there.

Good luck and hope everything gets back to normal   :)
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2008, 11:58:55 AM »

Here is my  :twocents;    I am pre-dialysis; around 14% with creatinine at 3.2.   I throw up all the time.  Most days I have no appetite.  It will be late afternoon and I suddenly realize I haven't eaten a thing all day.  The vomiting always comes as a surprise.  I can be sitting there and all of a sudden --- :puke;   The past few days have been really bad.  You would be surprised how many nephs or nephs nurses think it is caused by stress.  But, transplant teams have told me it is all part of kidney failure.     You are doing such a great job of finding information for your dad.  It helps us when our families get involved.  Thanks for being such a caring daughter   :cuddle;   

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »