I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 11, 2024, 11:19:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Someone's laptop was stolen at the hospital with all my personal information!!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Someone's laptop was stolen at the hospital with all my personal information!!  (Read 2583 times)
alrightstill

BAH!

« on: November 29, 2008, 07:57:23 PM »

So I got a letter in the mail today from the center that I had my first transplant at in 1995.  This is the same center that I've been listed at the longest since the demise of my last transplant (7 years now) and also the only transplant center out of the 4 I'm listed at that I HAVEN'T received a call for a new kidney offer from.. but I digress.

The letter today stated that someone's laptop was stolen and on the laptop contained everything about me.  My address, my blood type, my sex, my race and my SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER!!!   :stressed;  They said the info is password protected but of course with the amazing hackers out there - there's the possibility they could crack it.

As compensation (cough) they're giving me a year's worth of that identity protection thing you've seen commercials for on TV.

I know of course, this is a risk one has to take in life and there's really nothing you can do.  But.. I feel so violated!   >:(

1992 @ age 12 i was suddenly diagnosed with ESRD. 
1992 - 1995: Peritoneal Dialysis
1995: Cadaver Transplant
2001: Kidney rejects, back on PD
2002: too much scar tissue prevents PD from succeeding, go on hemo via permacath,
         transplanted kidney is removed.
Dec 2004 -- 2009t: on NXSTAGE (with the bags NOT pureflow) 6x a week via permacath
Dec 2009: Transplant from a pal
Oct 2016 - present:  Transplant fails, back on NxStage w/pureflow via femoral cath, patiently waiting for next kidney
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2008, 08:04:45 PM »

When are they going to stop letting them put any personal patient info on something as portable as a laptop?

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

Restorer

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2008, 10:26:56 PM »

If it really is password protected with any decent encryption, the chances of cracking it are very small. These days encryption is quite secure, despite what they show on TV, as long as it's done right. However, it makes me nervous that they sprung for an identity theft protection service, because it makes me think they're not confident in their technical protection. Amateur protection schemes can be easily circumvented, and simple password protection could be vulnerable to a poor password choice or an inside job.

Just cross your fingers that it's a good industry-standard encryption technique, because those, mathematically, take decades or centuries to break by brute force on average, even if the cracker is lucky.

I hope you never have to deal with the possible consequences of this.

- Matt - wasabiflux.org
- Dialysis Calculators

3/2007Kidney failure diagnosed5/2010In-center hemodialysis
8/2008Peritoneal catheter placed1/2012Upper arm fistula created
9/2008Peritoneal catheter replaced3/2012Started using fistula
9/2008Began CAPD4/2012Buttonholes created
3/2009Switched to CCPD w/ Newton IQ cycler            4/2012HD catheter removed
7/2009Switched to Liberty cycler            4/2018Transplanted at UCLA!
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2008, 10:42:57 PM »

The sad part that these idiots didn't do is put a lojack on all their laptops. Yes it cost money to lojack all their laptops, but the price is worth it for security and patients piece of mind, plus the ability to get the laptop back. A year of identity protection is nothing. Identity protection really doesn't help once that information is out there and  passed on to others which would last more than a year. That type of information should have never been on a laptop in the first place, there was no need for someone to be traveling with all that info.

Diabetes -  age 7

Neuropathy in legs age 10

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
   -glaucoma and surgery for that
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Diagnosed with ESRD June 29, 1999
1st Dialysis - July 4, 1999
Last Dialysis - December 2, 2000

Kidney and Pancreas Transplant - December 3, 2000

Cataract Surgery on good eye - June 24, 2009
Knee Surgery 2010
2011/2012 in process of getting a guide dog
Guide Dog Training begins July 2, 2012 in NY
Guide Dog by end of July 2012
Next eye surgery late 2012 or 2013 if I feel like it
Home with Guide dog - July 27, 2012
Knee Surgery #2 - Oct 15, 2012
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012
Lifes Adventures -  Priceless

No two day's are the same, are they?
alrightstill

BAH!

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2008, 01:29:59 AM »

Yeah... I feel like I should do something though.  I don't know if I should sue.. change my bank account information, cancel my credit cards.. I'm still kind of in "wtf" mode.   :waiting;

Another thing - the letter is dated November 26th.  Yet - it says:

"To date, we have received no complaints or other indication that any of the information on the lapt was accessed or used."

So - just exactly how long have they known about this?

Also just noticing the bottom - I was so amped up earlier I didn't even read it. 

"[name of hospital witheld] considers security of patient information to be of utmost importance and regularly performs review of its security systems.  In addition, since this incident [the hospital] is implementing additional security measures, including encryption on laptop computers, to help ensure that this problem does not occur again in the future.  We apologize for this inciden and are available at [phone number] to answer questions you may have". 

:banghead;

1992 @ age 12 i was suddenly diagnosed with ESRD. 
1992 - 1995: Peritoneal Dialysis
1995: Cadaver Transplant
2001: Kidney rejects, back on PD
2002: too much scar tissue prevents PD from succeeding, go on hemo via permacath,
         transplanted kidney is removed.
Dec 2004 -- 2009t: on NXSTAGE (with the bags NOT pureflow) 6x a week via permacath
Dec 2009: Transplant from a pal
Oct 2016 - present:  Transplant fails, back on NxStage w/pureflow via femoral cath, patiently waiting for next kidney
HSM

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2008, 06:16:37 AM »

I'm sorry it happened to you. It's a real shame.

The only reason I attend dialysis is for the tea and the biscuits!

Dialysis wasn't the end, it was just the beginning!

It's about ability, NOT disability!
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2008, 02:16:31 PM »

Ohhh, now they implementing encryption, WTF took them this long to do that. Geez this hospital is really behind the times and their IT person should be fired or the boss that didn't head the advice of the IT person.
I would notify your bank though so they are aware of this and also your credit card comany. Don't wait till something happens, be as proactive as you can.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2008, 03:14:21 PM by Chris » Logged

Diabetes -  age 7

Neuropathy in legs age 10

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
   -glaucoma and surgery for that
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Diagnosed with ESRD June 29, 1999
1st Dialysis - July 4, 1999
Last Dialysis - December 2, 2000

Kidney and Pancreas Transplant - December 3, 2000

Cataract Surgery on good eye - June 24, 2009
Knee Surgery 2010
2011/2012 in process of getting a guide dog
Guide Dog Training begins July 2, 2012 in NY
Guide Dog by end of July 2012
Next eye surgery late 2012 or 2013 if I feel like it
Home with Guide dog - July 27, 2012
Knee Surgery #2 - Oct 15, 2012
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012
Lifes Adventures -  Priceless

No two day's are the same, are they?
jessup

Gemma - the tucker monster

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2008, 03:01:54 PM »

WTF
I would be complaining to the govt health authority, newspapers, media etc.

There response is not good enough!
Oh their compensation is ...... not good enough either !!
 :Kit n Stik; :Kit n Stik; :Kit n Stik; :Kit n Stik; :Kit n Stik;

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »