I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 12, 2024, 05:27:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Dad is hospitalized
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dad is hospitalized  (Read 3403 times)
Roxanne610

I just dont know anymore!!!

« on: November 26, 2008, 10:19:07 PM »

HELLO GUYS,,

Im sure you have seen my posts well Dad was admitted to the hospital today from throwing up and being dehydrated.  Tomorrow the dr is going to check the Fistula to see if it has matured so that he can  dialysis.  its only been a month... Liver levels are up bilirubin 6.9 they say it can be from dehydration..But since he had a liver transplant and hepatitis c it could be many things...We are so scared and upset...Not even having Thanksgiving tomorrow and who cares....We are so upset....

Roxanne
Wishing all a Happy Thanksgiving..
xoxoxox

EDITED: Removed all caps from subject line - Sluff/Admin

« Last Edit: November 27, 2008, 08:27:32 AM by Sluff » Logged

My DAD:
Cirrohsis at 32 from Hepatitis C,,,,50 Liver Failure from Hep C, 52 Liver Transplant, 2000 Lymphoma from Anti Rejection Meds treated and has been fine. 
Present:  Kidney failure from Meds for the liver transplant
Hepatitis C is very very active which is damaging the liver they are worried that he may need a liver transplant to, but until he is strong enough to get the liver biopsy.  And now he is hit with blood infection that he caught in the hospital ( i feel from nurses being not gentle enough with him)....
Started Dialysis Nov 08...Just waiting to see what the miserable Hep C disease is doing to our liver before we can even think about a kidney transplant!!!! :(

Roxanne  :(
My prayers and thoughts are with everyone!!!
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2008, 10:32:44 PM »

Sorry to hear about your dad- I hope they get him stable and feeling better. Take care.  :cuddle;

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
Joe Paul
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2008, 11:52:55 PM »

So sorry, I hope they can get him straightened out.

"The history of discovery is completed by those who don't follow rules"
Angels are with us, but don't take GOD for granted
Transplant Jan. 8, 2010
idahospud

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2008, 12:53:21 AM »

sorry about your dad hope the Dr's git him better and back home .Carol
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2008, 01:00:51 AM »

Soory to hear about your father Roxanne. I hope the docs find the cause

Diabetes -  age 7

Neuropathy in legs age 10

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
   -glaucoma and surgery for that
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Diagnosed with ESRD June 29, 1999
1st Dialysis - July 4, 1999
Last Dialysis - December 2, 2000

Kidney and Pancreas Transplant - December 3, 2000

Cataract Surgery on good eye - June 24, 2009
Knee Surgery 2010
2011/2012 in process of getting a guide dog
Guide Dog Training begins July 2, 2012 in NY
Guide Dog by end of July 2012
Next eye surgery late 2012 or 2013 if I feel like it
Home with Guide dog - July 27, 2012
Knee Surgery #2 - Oct 15, 2012
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012
Lifes Adventures -  Priceless

No two day's are the same, are they?
2_DallasCowboys

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2008, 03:24:22 AM »

So sorry to read ab out your Dad, will
be praying and thinking of you and yours, that
all will beOK

Anne
willieandwinnie
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2008, 04:20:07 AM »

Roxanne, all of us here are with you. Hope things improve quick.  :grouphug;

"I know there's nothing to it, but I want to know what it is there's nothing to"
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2008, 04:39:49 AM »

Thinking of you and all your family Roxanne and hoping things turn around for your Dad.

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2008, 08:26:16 AM »

Try not to worry(easier said than done) too much about Dad he will bounce back before you know it.  Dads have a way of doing that.  :grouphug; Best wishes to your family.
Roxanne610

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2008, 05:12:55 PM »

Thanks everyone....

:cuddle;

Well they said the fistula is will not be ready for another month at least.  He had it done Nov 3..They do not want to do emergency d because he is too prone to infection due to his low immune system that he has to have because of his liver transplant. What is happening now is his heartrate is only around 34 which he never had a problem with before.  So they are worried of a heartattack..He is closely being watched right now.  Everything is such a mess right now its breaking my heart to see him sooooooooooooooooo sick.  We spent the whole day with him, honestly its an effort just to sit up for him, thats how sick..I wish they can do d so they can help him but we are in a catch 22.  The kidneys im sure are messing with his liver transplant because his bilirubin is up.  The doctors are confused totally u can tell.  Hepatitis C active,,Bilirubin High, Kidneys now low heart rate I mean what the F*** can he get a break somewhere... >:(

Question???  Surgeon says no need for the stress ball to help mature the fistula what does everyone think of that does it really matter if he does that.

I hope everyone had a nice Thanksgiving and thanks for caring and showing concern...
Roxanne

My DAD:
Cirrohsis at 32 from Hepatitis C,,,,50 Liver Failure from Hep C, 52 Liver Transplant, 2000 Lymphoma from Anti Rejection Meds treated and has been fine. 
Hepatitis C is very very active which is damaging the liver they are worried that he may need a liver transplant to, but until he is strong enough to get the liver biopsy.  And now he is hit with blood infection that he caught in the hospital ( i feel from nurses being not gentle enough with him)....
Started Dialysis Nov 08...Just waiting to see what the miserable Hep C disease is doing to our liver before we can even think about a kidney transplant!!!! :(

monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2008, 05:24:46 PM »

I was told the same thing about not needing the ball exercises Roxanne.  I did use it for my first fistula in my forearm but my upper arm fistula developed nicely without it and both surgeons I spoke with said not to bother.
Others were told differently and so of course you'll get differing opinions on this.

On the other hand, if it won't hurt the fistula there's no harm in doing it but your Dad may not be able to have another thing imposed on him right now.

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2008, 06:30:35 PM »

Thinking of you and your Dad, hoping things will improve sooner than later.   :grouphug;
rose1999
Elite Member

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2008, 11:16:46 PM »

As another daughter/carer I know how you feel and send caring thoughts your way  :grouphug;
Roxanne610

« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2008, 10:51:38 PM »

Hello,,,,

Well my father is out of the hospital...He is feeling a little better, but now he is afraid to eat cause soon as I dropped them off home, he threw up.  Last night, at the hospital his heart rate was low in the hospital 34 beats at times.  But they are going to monitor him...They said he now has Arrhythmia  can be caused by the kidneys since it does so much to your metabolism not sure if anyone has heard this? It just is something every friggin day.  I wish he can get D to help him get stronger.  Can anything happen to him in the mean time?  We are so worried, between my brother and my mother we dont sleep worrying about him. He looks and I hate to say this but to give you an image like he has cancer thats how skinny its sooooooooooo sad I just cry when I leave him.....

PS..I just want to let everyone know how I appreciate the support...You have so many questions with this illness and it makes you crazy so having caring people like you makes you feel a little hope. :grouphug;

My DAD:

Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2008, 07:56:40 AM »

Hello,,,,

Well my father is out of the hospital...He is feeling a little better, but now he is afraid to eat cause soon as I dropped them off home, he threw up.  Last night, at the hospital his heart rate was low in the hospital 34 beats at times.  But they are going to monitor him...They said he now has Arrhythmia  can be caused by the kidneys since it does so much to your metabolism not sure if anyone has heard this? It just is something every friggin day.  I wish he can get D to help him get stronger.  Can anything happen to him in the mean time?  We are so worried, between my brother and my mother we dont sleep worrying about him. He looks and I hate to say this but to give you an image like he has cancer thats how skinny its sooooooooooo sad I just cry when I leave him.....

PS..I just want to let everyone know how I appreciate the support...You have so many questions with this illness and it makes you crazy so having caring people like you makes you feel a little hope. :grouphug;

We are glad to be here Roxanne. Take good care of him.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »