I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 13, 2024, 09:25:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: News Articles
| | |-+  A teacher's plea for a kidney donation
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: A teacher's plea for a kidney donation  (Read 1482 times)
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« on: November 22, 2008, 12:19:06 AM »

A teacher's plea for a kidney donation

Updated: Nov 21, 2008 05:14 PM

To help Patricia Martin:
(702) 526-7796
pmartin@interact.ccsd.net

Educators and administrators at the Clark County School District are coming together to help one of their own battle a life-threatening illness. News 3's Dan Ball has the story of one very dedicated young teacher who is now in the fight of her life trying to find a new kidney.

32-year-old Patricia Martin has been an elementary school teacher for nearly a decade. For years, she worked with troubled inner-city kids in Los Angeles before taking a second grade teaching position at Ollie Detwiler Elementary School here in Las Vegas.

"She has a beautiful smile. It's very contagious. And she's so positive," says Patricia's husband. "She's ambitious, intelligent - basically when I met her, I knew she was everything I wanted in a wife."

Patricia and Daniel were married one year ago. They've already gone through a tough time, with a miscarriage earlier this year. In September, Patricia went to see a doctor to have a mole removed. That's when she received some life-changing news.

"I have stage four chronic kidney disease. I have only 20 percent function left in my kidneys. When I get to five percent, I have to go on dialysis in order to survive," Patricia explains.

"I didn't want to discuss it. I was down and out about it at first," recalls her husband Daniel. "She's helped me become more open minded about it. She has faith that we're going to get help with this situation."

Currently, the waiting period for a kidney from an organ donor list is about one to three years. Patricia's doctors believe that her condition will worsen within one year.

"I'm hoping someone out there will be willing to help me and donate or get tested to donate a kidney to me. My life certainly has a lot more living to do and I have a purpose here."

And that purpose is to teach. Patricia comes from a long line of educators.

She finds not being able to teach "very devastating...because being an educator and teacher is all I know and enjoy."

Patricia is hopeful that she won't have to wait for a cadaver donor and is optimistic that someone will be willing to donate a live kidney.

"It is a great sacrifice. But just remember, a human being can live with one kidney - a healthy and satisfying life. And so you're living with a gift inside you that you may not need."

Because UMC shut down their transplant program, Patricia is now forced to travel to the UCLA Medical Center in California. But she's hopeful because of a new procedure at the facility.

"People do not have to be a match for me exactly. (M)y husband...would like to donate for me but he doesn't match. He can swap with someone else that has a donor that matches with (me) and that would give me a greater chance of receiving a kidney in time."

For now, Patricia is leaning on her family and co-workers for support and trying not to sweat the small stuff. But she continues to hope someone will give her the gift of life.

"Everyday I look at as a new day, a new gift - like today's mercies are new, yesterday's are gone. So when I wake up in the morning I'm always grateful for my life."

http://www.kvbc.com/Global/story.asp?S=9395401

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2008, 10:57:45 PM »

Hey! What am I chopped liver over here?  Ten years on dialysis and no hope for transplant.  Let the news get a hold of that one!

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Kitsune

Sometimes the dragon wins.

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2008, 01:52:23 AM »

Kitkatz,

I guess no one thinks your story's appealing enough, who knows?  But actually, I did appear on TV talking about my condition and the only thing I got out of it was, "Oh! You poor dear, I'll pray for you!" or "I wish I could give you one of my kidneys."

Nothing much comes out of this type of thing usually....unless you're rich or famous, then people swarm to help you. Just look at Steve Smyth (ex-Nevermore guitarist/spoiled brat who browbeat people into getting tested via his website and acted like his six months on dialysis was the longest time ever spent there) and Alonzo Mourning.

But ten years is a long time, kit. I don't think I could do it, especially if I wasn't able to get waitlisted. You're a better woman than I.

"Run your mouth when I'm not around
It's easy to achieve
You cry to weak friends that sympathize
Can you hear the violins playing your song?
Those same friends tell me your every word"- Pantera "Walk" (1991)
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2008, 01:24:10 PM »

Not better, just do not KNOW any better!

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »