I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 16, 2024, 11:49:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  temperature tolerance and dialysis
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: temperature tolerance and dialysis  (Read 5589 times)
Adam_W
Elite Member

Me with Baron von Fresenius

« on: November 11, 2008, 09:13:57 PM »

I've been noticing something and I was wondering if anyone has had anything similar happen. Ok, I've always been very tolerant of cold weather, in fact I've loved it. When I lived in Canada I would go out for walks in -30 degree temperatures just for the heck of it. My first winter on dialysis, though, I found I froze my arse off in +20 F. Last winter, I noticed I could tolerate the cold better, but still not like I could before I started dialysis. The last few days in Indianapolis, we've been getting down to around 35 F, and I'm finding that I seem to be back at the tolerance level I used to be at (No jacket if I'm only out for 15min and only feeling "slightly chilly"). I don't know how I'll do when real winter hits, but it seems I may be back to being "part polar bear". I've been wondering if the initial shock that my body took when I first started dialysis changed my tolerance to cold weather, and now being on more frequent dialysis for over a year has helped some of my tolerance return. As for hot weather, my tolerance for it got worse, and stayed worse. I've never done well in hot weather, but now I get sick if I'm out in 80 F temp too long, and one time I ended up collapsing from severe heat exhaustion after less then an hour in 90 F. Just an interesting trend I've noticed.

Adam

-Diagnosed with ESRD (born with one kidney, hypertension killed it) Jan 21st, 2007
-Started dialysis four days later in hospital (Baxter 1550-I think, then Gambro Phoenix)
-Started in-centre dialysis Feb 6th 2007 (Fres. 2008H)
-Started home hemo June 5th 2007 (NxStage/Pureflow)
-PD catheter placed June 6th 2008 (Bye bye NxStage, at least for now)
-Started CAPD July 4th, 2008
-PD catheter removed Dec 2, 2008-PD just wouldn't work, so I'm back on NxStage
-Kidney function improved enough to go off dialysis, Feb. 2011!!!!!
-Back on dialysis (still NxStage) July 2011 :(
-In-centre self-care dialysis March 2012 (Fresenius 2008K)
-Not on transplant list yet.

"Don't live for dialysis, use dialysis to LIVE"
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2008, 09:16:11 PM »

I think my cold tolerance got better after I started home hemo.  Maybe just feeling healthier makes a difference?

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2008, 09:26:38 PM »

it could be you have gotten used to it. I found my first year or so on hemo I would feel the cold horribly - specially while on dialysis... I'd be freezing and do the "old man" thing with the blanket piled right up over me etc... the last year or so.. not so bad.. I keep the blanket handy but mostly use it more to balance my laptop on more than keep me warm.

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
thegrammalady
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2008, 09:40:06 PM »

when i first got sick i was extremely cold. cold from the inside out. and i can still get that way if the machine temp doesn't stay somewhere between 79 and 79.5. i also complain and complain loudly when they let the penguins into the center. there is no reason the place should be kept below freezing. but then i'm just a loud, noisy, patient and the squeaky wheel gets the grease.

s
......................................................................................
If you can smile when things go wrong, you have someone in mind to blame.

Lead me not into temptation, I can find it myself.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning how to dance in the rain.

Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

Meddle Not In The Affairs Of Dragons
For You Are Crunchy And Taste Good With Ketchup
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2008, 01:07:30 PM »

My temp gauge has changed since beginning nocturnal dialysis. I have been cold for years. Now I am chugging with a warm engine most of the time. I even sweat a little, something I have not done since I started dialysis.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Adam_W
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2008, 01:29:57 PM »

I definitely am improving with my cold tolerance. Today the temperature was right around freezing, and I was out on my scooter, and as long as I'm dressed properly, the cold didn't bother me one bit. Even just a year ago, I would have never been able to tolerate not only the ambient 0 deg C. (32 deg F), but also the wind chill of driving an open vehicle at 50 mph. I'm not complaining at all because I've always liked the cold. It's definitely a lot better for me than heat.

-Diagnosed with ESRD (born with one kidney, hypertension killed it) Jan 21st, 2007
-Started dialysis four days later in hospital (Baxter 1550-I think, then Gambro Phoenix)

Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2008, 01:36:18 PM »

It has to do with anemia.  When your kidneys fail you are very anemic.  Your normal kidneys tell your bone marrow to product red blood cells.  When your kidneys no longer work then you have less red blood cells to keep you warm.  With Epogen, a synthetic protein, it tells your bone marrow to produce red blood cells.  You cannot have the "normal" level of red blood cells because you are on dialysis and need you blood to be thinner to not clot as easy.  If your blood gets too thick you access may clot.

Glad you feel warmer.     :)

Lucinda

Life is great!

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2008, 02:04:29 PM »

I agree with Rerun.  I am cold all the time - pre-dialysis - and we are in the summer months here in Australia.  My hands are like ice-blocks all the time even when I am lying in the sun. I drive my husband crazy because I keep turning off the air-conditioning. Since I have been on Epo though, it has been a tad better.  Catch 22 at the gym though.  You never get overheated but your joints never feel like they have warmed up either and very easy to get an injury.  I think it is just another of the very annoying kidney symptoms. x
Lori1851

This is me Lori , Dustin's mom

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2008, 04:09:14 PM »

Dustin was always cold. I bought him lots of hoodies and insulated underwear. He also liked those pajama pants and wore those almost everytime for dialysis.

Lori/Indiana
mikey07840
Elite Member

Her royal highness Queen Ruth on her throne, RIP

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2008, 09:45:19 PM »

This makes sense now... before CKD I was always warm, now on dialysis I am always cold. I have the heat at 72 and am still freezing. Good thing I have a kitty to snuggle with.

06/85 Diagnosed with type 1 Diabetes
10/04 Radical Nephrectomy (Kidney Cancer or renal cell carcinoma)
02/08 Started Hemodialysis
04/08 Started Peritoneal Dialysis (CAPD)
05/08 Started CCPD (my cycler: The little box of alarms)
07/09 AV Fistula and Permacath added, PD catheter removed. PD discontinued and Hemodialysis resumed
08/09 AV Fistula redone higher up on arm, first one did not work
07/11 Mass found on remaining kidney
08/11 Radical Nephrectomy, confirmed that mass was renal cell carcinoma
12/12 Whipple, mass on pancreas confirmed as renal cell carcinoma

• Don't Knock on Death's door; Ring the bell and run away. Death hates that.

• I'm not a complete Idiot -- some parts are missing.
boxman55
Elite Member

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2008, 06:27:00 AM »

I am freezing right now. I am always cold. I like the weather to be in the 80's. Maybe I should move...Boxman

"Be the change you wished to be"
Started Hemodialysis 8/14/06
Lost lower right leg 5/16/08 due to Diabetes
Sister was denied donation to me for medical reasons 1/2008
Ken Shelmerdine
Elite Member

Life's a bitch and then you go on dialysis!

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2008, 03:47:30 PM »

I can't see anything wrong with your cold tolerances. I'd freeze my arse off at 25f and I think most people would be sick spending a full hour in 90f I know I would and as for taking a walk in -35f, well in the UK though the weather's crap most of the time we never experience anything that cold, you must be Superman!  ;)

Ken
lruffner

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2008, 06:04:22 PM »

I am pre-dialysis and am froze all of the time. In the summer, the a/c is on 77 and winter 73....with several layers of clothes. My blankets on my bed are so heavy, that I can barely move my feet. I absolutely dread going into any type of store in the summer, because my teeth chatter the whole time...it is embarrassing.

Diagnosed w/ primary fsgs- June 2007
Getting ready to begin transplant work-up at IU and Jewish-9/08

"Live for Today"
Adam_W
Elite Member

« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2008, 06:53:51 PM »

as for taking a walk in -35f, well in the UK though the weather's crap most of the time we never experience anything that cold, you must be Superman!  ;)

Nah, just Canadian  :canadaflag;

Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2008, 10:02:16 PM »

I am freezing right now. I am always cold. I like the weather to be in the 80's. Maybe I should move...Boxman

I have a house in Sacramento for sale!!!   :beer1;

twirl
Member for Life

« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2008, 02:36:07 AM »

I used to hate to be hot or have the central heat on
now I freeze
and we don't get all that cold down here compared to what  you get
but it can be a wet cold and that makes it seem colder
my unit was so cold the other day - I asked for an AMA
I was shivering
everyone was freezing but it used to be unusal for me to be cold - ever
I get over heated once the temps get over 95, we often have over 100 degrees
can't stand it anymore
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2008, 05:00:48 PM »

Cold all the time and use to always be hot.  I am sitting here in a sweatshirt with a comforter and I am freezing. Need to get the space heater out.   Flip would have told me to get out the vodka  :rofl;  (miss you, Flip)

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
Mimi
Elite Member

For any who do not like me I use - prayer.

« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2008, 08:14:40 PM »

I am cold all the time too.  I'm in a sweatsuit and fuzzy warm houseshoes.  I have gotten
much colder since my kidneys started failing.  And Paris, I already have my space heater out
and on. ;D

Mimi

Death is not extinguishing the light;
it is putting out the lamp because the dawn has come.
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2008, 08:53:16 PM »

Like you, I loved the cold weather. Then dialysis started and I would be cold all the time and wear lcoats in the summer. Even aftermy transplant, I am still cold, easily get cold, or quickly cool down if I do get hot. My blood count is good and Procrit injections were tried to no effect. I even wore a womens sweater once to stop shaking,  but I won't tell you who's it was from here. ;D

Diabetes -  age 7

Neuropathy in legs age 10

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
   -glaucoma and surgery for that
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Diagnosed with ESRD June 29, 1999
1st Dialysis - July 4, 1999
Last Dialysis - December 2, 2000

Kidney and Pancreas Transplant - December 3, 2000

Cataract Surgery on good eye - June 24, 2009
Knee Surgery 2010
2011/2012 in process of getting a guide dog
Guide Dog Training begins July 2, 2012 in NY
Guide Dog by end of July 2012
Next eye surgery late 2012 or 2013 if I feel like it
Home with Guide dog - July 27, 2012
Knee Surgery #2 - Oct 15, 2012
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012
Lifes Adventures -  Priceless

No two day's are the same, are they?
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2008, 09:59:39 AM »

Between the cold feeling from dialysis and the hot flashes and sweats from menopause my body has rules all it's own.  My internal thermostat is completely wacko haywire and I dress to bundle or strip down at a moment's notice.  Last noght I was boiling hot but my ears were freezing because I had the heat right down in the house to 15 celsius.  My husband thinks I'm trying to knock him off.

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2008, 10:02:45 AM »

You are not alone. Covers on, covers off at night. Hubby says I am crazy.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2008, 10:47:06 PM by kitkatz » Logged

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
willieandwinnie
Elite Member

« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2008, 10:41:08 AM »

Between the cold feeling from dialysis and the hot flashes and sweats from menopause my body has rules all it's own.  My internal thermostat is completely wacko haywire and I dress to bundle or strip down at a moment's notice.  Last night I was boiling hot but my ears were freezing because I had the heat right down in the house to 15 Celsius.  My husband thinks I'm trying to knock him off.

I'm so happy that I have been done with the menopause thing (48). I hated the hot flashes and night sweats. Good Lord, I drove everyone in the house nuts. Poor Len seems to stay cold and I bought him one of those electric throws and he loves it, he says he wants heated gloves for Christmas. Winter has just started.  :cuddle;

"I know there's nothing to it, but I want to know what it is there's nothing to"
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »