I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 10, 2024, 10:12:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Question about dialysis staff
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Question about dialysis staff  (Read 4219 times)
Katey

« on: November 09, 2008, 12:19:08 PM »

I currently travel about 30 miles to my dialysis center.  I have to take a cab one way which is about 35 dollars 3x a week.  I inquired about another center closer to my home.  They had told me there is a Davita center closer to my home.  I was very excited to not be losing so much money on cab fare.  Last i went to dialysis i was speaking to the tech about it.  She then informed me that she previously worked at the center and they had minimal staff (8-1 patient to tech ratio)  I am very concerned by this information but am not sure what is an acceptable ratio.  She also then informed me she was fired from this center.  I don't know if it is bitterness or it is a true concern i should have.  The only reason I sincerely like my far away unit is because it is a teaching hospital exactly where my neph is located.  The new center says they will give me lidocain shots where the center i go to now only gives the cream... I WANT THE SHOT.  Is it normal to have the shot or is it just cream everywhere??  I am unsure about this new center???

Any suggestions??

Diagnosed July 1985
Started CAPD 1995
Changed to Hemo 1996
Cadaver Transplant 1999
Back on Hemo Aug 2008
Found this wonderful site Nov 2008!!
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2008, 12:31:54 PM »

She also then informed me she was fired from this center.  I don't know if it is bitterness or it is a true concern i should have.  ... I am unsure about this new center???

Here is Medicare's info on different centers.

http://www.medicare.gov/Dialysis/Include/DataSection/Questions/SearchCriteria.asp?version=default&browser=Safari%7C2%7CMacOSX&language=English&defaultstatus=0&pagelist=Home

8)

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
aharris2
Elite Member

Volcan Pacaya, Guatemala

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2008, 12:56:14 PM »

She then informed me that she previously worked at the center and they had minimal staff (8-1 patient to tech ratio)  I am very concerned by this information but am not sure what is an acceptable ratio. 

The new center says they will give me lidocain shots where the center i go to now only gives the cream... I WANT THE SHOT.  Is it normal to have the shot or is it just cream everywhere??  I am unsure about this new center???

Any suggestions??

Katey, go visit the center and see what you see, more than once to get a good idea. Our unit seems to have a 4 to 1 tech ratio (when they're not on break or chatting each other up, ignoring their patients) and it is a Davita unit. Regarding the shots, I've never seen it done that way. A few patients use Emla Cream, a few more use something sprayed on that chills the area and deadens the pain. Many use nothing.

$35 3 times a week! That would be prohibitive for us.

Life is like a box of chocolates...the more you eat the messier it gets - Epofriend

Epofriend - April 7, 1963 - May 24, 2013
My dear Rolando, I miss you so much!
Rest in peace my dear brother...
Katey

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2008, 01:02:31 PM »

Thanks I will go visit the unit.  The shots were given to me while i was in the hospital.  They said they don't normally give them on the unit since only the nurses (limited resource) can push the shot.

Yea if it weren't for my parents helping financially I wouldn't be able to go to dialysis

Diagnosed July 1985
Started CAPD 1995
Changed to Hemo 1996
Cadaver Transplant 1999
Back on Hemo Aug 2008
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2008, 01:10:26 PM »

She also then informed me she was fired from this center.  I don't know if it is bitterness or it is a true concern i should have.  ... I am unsure about this new center???

Here is Medicare's info on different centers.

http://www.medicare.gov/Dialysis/Include/DataSection/Questions/SearchCriteria.asp?version=default&browser=Safari%7C2%7CMacOSX&language=English&defaultstatus=0&pagelist=Home

8)

Yes, but this site doesn't tell you if they have an ice machine or if you can have snacks.  Very important to me.  Good luck Katey.  Mostly DaVita is a good place to dialyze.  If there is such a place!!!

Katey

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2008, 01:18:19 PM »

Thanks so much and yes the snack part is extremely important to me!!  Also TV's!  It helps pass the time

Diagnosed July 1985
Started CAPD 1995
Changed to Hemo 1996
Cadaver Transplant 1999
Back on Hemo Aug 2008
boxman55
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2008, 02:31:20 PM »

The spray aharris is talking about is called ethyl chloride. Your nepth can write a script for it. I use it and as long as the tech is ready to stick right after they spray it works pretty good. it wears off pretty quick so even if they have to unwrap the needle it has already lost some of it's effectiveness. They have to be ready to go with this stuff...Boxman

"Be the change you wished to be"
Started Hemodialysis 8/14/06
Lost lower right leg 5/16/08 due to Diabetes
Sister was denied donation to me for medical reasons 1/2008
thegrammalady
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2008, 07:07:15 PM »

it shouldn't be up to the unit if you use shots or cream it should be what you and your doctor want since both need an rx. each state is different based on what state law says, but in units in colorado the tech gives lidocane shots. i personally use cream, applied approximately an hour before takes less than 5 minutes to apply and wrap and works very well. visit the new center and ask lots of questions. let us know how it goes.

s
......................................................................................
If you can smile when things go wrong, you have someone in mind to blame.

Lead me not into temptation, I can find it myself.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning how to dance in the rain.

Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

Meddle Not In The Affairs Of Dragons
For You Are Crunchy And Taste Good With Ketchup
Meinuk

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2008, 07:14:08 PM »

Does your unit social worker know the financial stress that you are under? 

Is there any way that you can consider home hemo?

Research Dialysis Units:  http://projects.propublica.org/dialysis/

52 with PKD
deceased donor transplant 11/2/08
nxstage 10/07 - 11/08;  30LS/S; 20LT/W/R  @450
temp. permcath:  inserted 5/07 - removed 7/19/07
in-center hemo:  m/w/f 1/12/07
list: 6/05
a/v fistula: 5/05
NxStage training diary post (10/07):  http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=5229.0
Newspaper article: Me dialyzing alone:  http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=7332.0
Transplant post 11/08):  http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=10893.msg187492#msg187492
Fistula removal post (7/10): http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=18735.msg324217#msg324217
Post Transplant Skin Cancer (2/14): http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=30659.msg476547#msg476547

“To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of thought.” - Henri Poincare
Katey

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2008, 11:57:20 AM »

Yes my social worker is aware and has taken my cab receipts and trying to get money from a grant to reimburse part of the money.  I am going to visit the 'new' clinic sometime this week to see if it is something that I would like...

I will let ya'all know how it goes!!

Diagnosed July 1985
Started CAPD 1995
Changed to Hemo 1996
Cadaver Transplant 1999
Back on Hemo Aug 2008
BigSteve

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2008, 10:19:11 AM »

Don't let the staff control your dialysis. If the needles are painful, use Lidocaine no matter who has to inject you.
In California either nurses or techs can inject it. When I started using my second fistula the needles insertion were
very painful. I suffered for over a month until I finally told the nurse how bad they were. For some reason the staff
was reluctant to use Lidocaine, or "chicken juice" as they called it. The Lidocaine injection hurts a bit depending on
who gives it to you, but it hurt much less than the needles.

"I yam what I yam what I yam." Popeye's immortal words.
"Getting and spending we lay waste our powers"
If it's too big to fail, it's too big to exist.
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2008, 10:40:44 AM »

http://www.nwrenalnetwork.org/QI/AVFCannulationSkills.pdf   

I have found this site to be useful about cannulation and it also addresses some of the issues that can result from anesthetic use (like lidocaine).  I have only ever used lidocaine once, many years ago when I first started dialysis and it made my vein impossible to cannulate.  The vein just seemed to shrink away in disgust.  That's when I started my own desensitization experiment with pinching myself as hard as I could with my fingernails to get used to the brief pain of cannulation.  I don't use cream because I don't want to limit my free time even more by doing it an hour ahead.  I try to go to the gym every morning and that would interfere. There are also some people, often black people, who develop a lot of scarring which makes the skin very tough to penetrate. 

Since reading this article, I've also started washing my arm before sitting down to cannulate.  It's a nuisance and a little messy (my upper arm) but if that helps to reduce the risk of infection then I can live with it.

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
twirl
Member for Life

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2008, 02:42:02 AM »

I like the cream it works better for me
my center will give shots but they say you are getting stuck 4 times instead of 2
go visit the center and observe during a treatment time
we just had a tech fired and she needed to be fired
she was barely 19 and rude as hell
and she made several mistakes with placing patients in the wrong chairs
she was only there for about 7 months
Stacy Without An E

God's Action Figure

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2008, 03:14:57 PM »

A List of Things I Would Look for When Visiting a New Dialysis Center:

1) Are the staff lounging around napping or playing on the internet or are they dealing with patient care?

2) Do you have to wear headphones to watch TV?  There's nothing worse than having to listen to someone else's TV simply because they are egotistical goons.

3) Is the equipment (chairs, machines, bathrooms) in good working order or do they need some maintenance?

4) Is it a Nazi clinic (no cell phones, no snacks, no nothin') or will your needs be met?

5) Are there cute nurses and techs to flirt with?

Yes, you're right.  I was just kidding about #5.

Stacy Without An E

1st Kidney Transplant: May 1983
2nd Kidney Transplant: January 1996
3rd Kidney Transplant: Any day now.

The Adventures of Stacy Without An E
stacywithoutane.blogspot.com

Dialysis.  Two needles.  One machine.  No compassion.
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2008, 03:38:00 PM »

You were so NOT kidding about 5).   :rofl;  And that's OK.  I just hope you flirt with patients too.  We have a ball most days at my clinic.

(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
nursewratchet

"Either do it, or don't do it, don't try"

« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2008, 06:52:35 PM »

Visit the clinic, unannounced. At turnover if possible.  Depending on your state, ratios will vary.  In Texas, it is 4:1.  I can't imagine being safe if caring for more than 4 patients at one time.  As far as the tech is concerned, if she was fired, she will say stuff about the clinic she came from.  I have seen, and fired many dialysis employees.  I fire quickly if they are not doing a good job, if they are careless, or rude, and I promise they probably all went to another clinic and badmouthed the old one.  Check with the Social Worker for assistance with transportation.  There are resources for that.  Good Luck!

RN, Facility Administrator 2002 to present
RN, Staff Nurse 1996-2002
Vicki
Katey

« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2008, 07:25:08 AM »

Thanks everyone for the advice.  I did go check out the other clinic unannounced.  It was very clean and everyone was particularly nice to me BUT it was almost like they were to nice and to perfect.  This center is 25 min away from the nearest hospital where my "old" unit is 2 min away.  With all of that being said, I have decided to remain with my far away center.  Now they are using my graft and not my catheter I have felt good enough to drive myself!!

PS.  Thanks for the advice about resources for rides to dialysis but unfortunately my soc worker is not helpful.  I had to find about a special bus and some reimbursements for the cab.  However, the reimbursements only pay for things in the future and not in the past.  If my soc worker would have checked this out for me ( I asked) weeks ago, I could have been reimbursed!  :rant;

Diagnosed July 1985
Started CAPD 1995
Changed to Hemo 1996
Cadaver Transplant 1999
Back on Hemo Aug 2008
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2008, 10:09:05 AM »

Katey, would you consider putting that in writing for your social worker's boss?  That ought not to have happened if you asked weeks ago.  Be very clear about dates.  The social worker ought to have known about that resource for sure.

(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
nursewratchet

"Either do it, or don't do it, don't try"

« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2008, 12:29:37 PM »

Of course she knew.  That is BASIC Dialysis Social Work stuff.  That makes up a great part of the workload,  getting resources for transportation.  LAZY,LAZY, LAZY!!!!!  Monrein is right, definately a reportable offense :Kit n Stik;

RN, Facility Administrator 2002 to present
RN, Staff Nurse 1996-2002
Vicki
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2008, 03:40:11 PM »

totally agree! That's what social workers are there for. In fact in all the seminars and info I've had over the years from the dialysis/renal team it's always been stressed that the social worker mostly helps with transport, parking and that kind of thing. Even to the extent of underplaying any other roles the SW may have (such as referring to counselling or other support services in terms of dealiong with the condition, depression etc). I'm stunned they didn't "know" when that is the job they would be doing day in and day out.... does indeed sound lazy. sigh.

I am so lucky I live across the road from my unit. Transport not an issue :)

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »