I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 03, 2024, 02:24:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  We went today to the Kidney Orientation at St. Barnabas Livingston Very Confused
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: We went today to the Kidney Orientation at St. Barnabas Livingston Very Confused  (Read 2191 times)
Roxanne610

I just dont know anymore!!!

« on: November 05, 2008, 08:22:09 PM »

Hello Everyone,,,

We went to the transplant orientation today..Mom, Dad, and I a six hour long draining depressing day,, :Kit n Stik;,Sadly to say right now he cannot be on the transplant list or to even start the process to see if Im a donor for my dad.  The Dr. Chief of Staff at the hospital said right now we have to wait.  When my Dad was 32 he was diagnosed with cirrhosis from Hepatitis  B&C.. 20 Years later at 52 1996 he had a liver transplant were at 12 years with that transplant,,2000 ,From there he got lymphoma from his autoimmunsuppresants,, treated with Rituxin and was in remission since then.  Which leaves us here he now as I have said in previous posts Kidney Disease.  So today the doctor says he wouldn't qualify for right now to be on the list.  The hepatitis is active,,he has EBV which is going down from the immunsuppresants,,,they said he probably has alot of antibodies from the three blood transfusions from liver transplant and so on.  He would be at risk to get the plasmaphersis due to more immunsuppresants that it could make all the other medical problems go haywire..Does anyone know about antibodys does time make them become less and the plasmaphersis are more Drs more educated on this process with Kidney transplants?  Any information would be grateful..

Thanks
Roxanne

My DAD:
Cirrohsis at 32 from Hepatitis C,,,,50 Liver Failure from Hep C, 52 Liver Transplant, 2000 Lymphoma from Anti Rejection Meds treated and has been fine. 
Present:  Kidney failure from Meds for the liver transplant
Hepatitis C is very very active which is damaging the liver they are worried that he may need a liver transplant to, but until he is strong enough to get the liver biopsy.  And now he is hit with blood infection that he caught in the hospital ( i feel from nurses being not gentle enough with him)....
Started Dialysis Nov 08...Just waiting to see what the miserable Hep C disease is doing to our liver before we can even think about a kidney transplant!!!! :(

Roxanne  :(
My prayers and thoughts are with everyone!!!
Bill Peckham
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2008, 08:17:36 PM »

Wow sounds like a complex situation - beyond my areas of knowledge. I do know that the more complex the medical situation the more important it is to get additional medical opinions. I think for now the key will be to stay as well as possible through as much dialysis as possible.

http://www.billpeckham.com  "Dialysis from the sharp end of the needle" tracking  industry news and trends - in advocacy, reimbursement, politics and the provision of dialysis
Incenter Hemodialysis: 1990 - 2001
Home Hemodialysis: 2001 - Present
NxStage System One Cycler 2007 - Present
        * 4 to 6 days a week 30 Liters (using PureFlow) @ ~250 Qb ~ 8 hour per treatment FF~28
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »