I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 19, 2024, 09:35:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  What right do you have to take other people's money?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: What right do you have to take other people's money?  (Read 4475 times)
cherpep

« on: November 03, 2008, 02:04:24 PM »

Recently, I was having a discussion with someone who had very strong opinions about Medicare and any government involvement in healthcare.  His question to me was - and this is a direct quote -

"What right do you have to use the strong arm of government to confiscate the fruits of other people's work to care for your medical conditions?"  

He fully believes that medical care should be handled through the freemarket and that pricing would be controlled by competition.  Thoughts?  Opinions?

By the way, I completely disagreed with him, but found it to be a rather emotional discussion for me.  The next time I talk to this person I hope to have a little less emotion, and a little more ammo.  
paul.karen
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2008, 02:16:47 PM »

Im no pro on such things.   But when my time comes i hope to have medicaid or some kind of medical assistance for myself.
I have been paying into the system since i was 16.  I have never once collected unemployment.  I attempted to once but had a job by the time the paperwork was all filled ect.

Same as Social security.  I have been paying into that and it looks like i may never get a dime of it.
Tell your friend good for him and not to take it.  More people like him who wont take it will mean it goes to people like many of us who need it now or will in the future.

Curiosity killed the cat
Satisfaction brought it back

Operation for PD placement 7-14-09
Training for cycler 7-28-09

Started home dialysis using Baxter homechoice
8-7-09
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2008, 02:29:59 PM »

I worked.  I paid taxes.  My parents both worked and paid in all their lives - then died before they saw a dime of it.  If you die before you are old enough to collect, they send your survivors a death benefit so small it's almost a joke - something like $281 dollars.  So I see my collecting SS earlier than planned as my collecting back my family inheritance!

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

Romona
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2008, 02:31:43 PM »

Ask this same person what would he do if faced with a devastating medical condition. Does he have several millions to pay for his care? I am guessing he wouldn't care who was paying what as long as he is taken care of. Just one hospitalization I had in 2005 was roughly 250,000 covered by insurance. I was hospitalized 4 times that year. What would happen if there was mis management by the free market? It happens all the time. Look at pension plans that go under. Look at the banking mess we have now. I don't think any of us want to be taken care of by the government. But we pay taxes and deserve it.  People lose jobs and benefits all the time.
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2008, 02:39:35 PM »

You are not taking other people's money.

Medicare is a social insurance program administered by the United States government, providing health insurance coverage to people who are aged 65 and over, or who meet other special criteria. It was originally signed into law on July 30, 1965, by President Lyndon B. Johnson as amendments to Social Security legislation.

Individuals are eligible for Medicare if they are a U.S. citizen or have been a permanent legal resident for 5 continuous years, and they are 65 years or older, or they are under 65, disabled and have been receiving either Social Security or the Railroad Retirement Board disability benefits for at least 24 months, or they get continuing dialysis for end stage renal disease or need a kidney transplant, or they are eligible for Social Security Disability Insurance and have Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS-Lou Gehrig's disease).

Tell that jerk to buzz off!  :boxing;

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
paul.karen
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2008, 02:45:24 PM »

:-)

Curiosity killed the cat
Satisfaction brought it back

Operation for PD placement 7-14-09
Training for cycler 7-28-09

Started home dialysis using Baxter homechoice
8-7-09
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2008, 02:50:37 PM »

There are two saying:

A liberal becomes a conservative after they are mugged.
A conservative becomes a liberal after their health insurance runs out.

8)

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
willieandwinnie
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2008, 02:54:02 PM »

There are two saying:

8)

Zach said it all.  :waving;

"I know there's nothing to it, but I want to know what it is there's nothing to"
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2008, 02:56:13 PM »

Cherpep, I would spend/waste little or no time trying to convince that person about anything.  We do not choose illness (or other natural disasters either for that matter) and people who think that each of us ought to, at all times and under all circumstances, be totally responsible for everything we might need, may discover how impractical that view is should they ever be hit hard with any kind of catastrophe.

I do not believe that anyone "owes" anyone a living or medical care or whatever but I personally would not want to live in a society that would turn it's back on those among us who have any kind of tragedy befall us.
It's easy to think that we are each an island when we're young, strong, healthy and the world is our oyster.  But very few of us die thinking that we accomplished everything we did without help from others along our journey.  Self-reliance is an admirable quality, total self-sufficiency in every aspect of life is rarely (if ever) achieved and those who believe that they owe no debt to anyone are most likely simply forgetting how they got to be where they are.  

Leave the fools to debate their own misguided foolishness.  

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2008, 03:00:16 PM »

E Pluribus Unum.

8)

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2008, 03:34:35 PM »

There are two saying:

8)

OMG that is hilarious~~     :rofl;

kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2008, 03:45:17 PM »

Just tell him you hope he never gets ESRD and has dialysis at 40,000 dollars a month!

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
thegrammalady
Elite Member

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2008, 03:52:49 PM »

that guy is lucky he wasn't talking to me! i worked hard for 40 years, i earned every dam cent i'm getting. something tells me he couldn't live on what i do. people like that, well, never mind, i'll be a good girl.........

s
......................................................................................
If you can smile when things go wrong, you have someone in mind to blame.

Lead me not into temptation, I can find it myself.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning how to dance in the rain.

Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

Meddle Not In The Affairs Of Dragons
For You Are Crunchy And Taste Good With Ketchup
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2008, 07:28:56 PM »

You put money in the "bank" every payday.  Automatic deposit.  When retirement time comes, or you are disabled, you receive withdrawals once a month from that "account" --money you earned and that was held for you.    I have worked since I was 16. I didn't ask for this disease. I hope the person who asked you the question never is in the postiion to need medicare. 

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
Mimi
Elite Member

For any who do not like me I use - prayer.

« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2008, 08:58:28 PM »

We are not taking other people's money.  We are taking our own money, that most of us have spent years paying into Social Security.  Whoever this person is, seems to be mixed up about
how our system works.  I'm with Monrein, don't waste your breath on this idiot.  No man is an
island.  We need each other and we need our govt, govt that we put in place by elections to
take care of the nitty gritty things that come along in everyone's life.  I'm so glad I am an
American and tomorrow I am voting for the next President of the United States.  May the best
man and the one God intended win.

Love, Mimi

Death is not extinguishing the light;
it is putting out the lamp because the dawn has come.
cherpep

« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2008, 06:15:58 AM »

Thanks for your responses.  This man is actually a doctor, not my doctor thank goodness.  When I responded that I've been paying into Social Security for years, and am just calling on the insurance I've been paying.  His response was - when your money runs out, which it will or probably already has since dialysis is so expensive - then you are just taking the money that others put in.  What gives you that right?  He agreed I was entitled to what I paid, but nothing more.  He went on to explain that people should save their own anyway instead of having the government take it.  Basically, I told him that in his world only the rich would get medical treatment.  He said shame on me, that I should have more faith in the generosity of my fellow citizens, that the Americans are the most generous people in the world.

I was flabbergasted that this attitude exists, but it is very real.  It is unbelievable to me that he (and many others) think that it is acceptable for the only chance of medical treatment or survival for that matter would have to rely upon someone being generous enough to give them the treatment.  How can this not be a right?
pelagia
Elite Member

« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2008, 06:29:52 AM »

Gee, I wonder if he has car insurance or house insurance or life insurance.  Apparently he doesn't understand how insurance systems work.  You buy the insurance and then some need it and some (hopefully) don't, but you have financial security and peace of mind knowing the insurance is there if you need it.  It's difficult to argue with people like that. 

Yes, we do need reform of the health care system because the overall costs of medical care are rising so quickly, but that is a problem for the policymakers and legislators.

You can ask him if he is doing his part to help control rising medical costs.  Doctors in Europe's healthcare systems make good livings, but not the extraordinarily good livings of many doctors in the US.  When I read news pieces that say doctors are having trouble getting paid sufficiently for their services, I always check the parking lots.  As long as doctors continue to drive Mercedes, I will have trouble buying the argument.

As for me, I'll borrow this thought: "Having never experienced kidney disease, I had no idea how crucial kidney function is to the rest of the body." - KD
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2008, 06:35:14 AM »

I notice he didn't expand on "dialysis is expensive".  It just depends on which side of the needle you are on.

silverhead

« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2008, 07:22:22 AM »

Ask him if he is self-insured against Malpractice claims. I'm nearly 70 and the only Medicare claims I have is a yearly visit to the Doc and it is because he would not renew my one BP prescription without a visit, I figure my excess account amounts can be drawn on to cover Sharon's D expenses.........

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
cherpep

« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2008, 08:04:48 AM »

Malpractice - good one.  I'll definitely use that.
Slywalker

« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2008, 09:36:28 AM »

Its hard to even figure out what to say to this "doctor" and I'll use that term loosely.  He obviously does not understand how insurance works.    While is fine - but Congress many years ago decided that giving people treatment for kidney failure was a national priority and that is how coverage started.   Ask yourself why Congress felt it was a priority.  One answer is obviously that there were many Americans who had the disease at the time.  Are the numbers up from then?  Or down?  My guess the numbers are up.

I believe that health care is a right not a privilege for a certain number that can afford health care coverage.  I also feel that medicare or medicaid patients do not necessarily get the level of treatment that patients with full health insurance coverage get.  Just an observation I've made over the years after talking with people with no insurance or with medicare insurance. 

Dialysis is very expensive.    So, how do you think it got that expensive?  The health care industry, which includes all the doctors, saw a great way to make some money off people who were unlucky enough to develop kidney failure and then it was full speed ahead.

Personally, I would not give that doctor any credence or the time of day. 

Sandyb

:bunny: :bunny:
Deanne
Elite Member

« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2008, 10:04:58 AM »

A legitimate doctor said that!?!?!?!  :Kit n Stik; I'd be tempted to hand him a gun and ask him if he was willing to shoot me, because if he's taking away my medical care, then he's causing my death anyway. He might as well see the blood.

Deanne

1972: Diagnosed with "chronic kidney disease" (no specific diagnosis)
1994: Diagnosed with FSGS
September 2011: On transplant list with 15 - 20% function
September 2013: ~7% function. Started PD dialysis
February 11, 2014: Transplant from deceased donor. Creatinine 0.57 on 2/13/2014
TynyWonder

Calvin

« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2008, 09:43:59 PM »

I would just have to had to ask him had anyone in his family ever been "struck down" with a chronic disease and if so or even if not so, how would he feel then?  Would he not be willing to help his "brother" out then?  just my   :twocents;

Diagnosed with ESRD-November 2006
I have had 2 fistuals-neither one worked
I have had 2 grafts the last one finally "took"
I had 3 different catheters from Nov. 06 - Dec. 08
Got on the transplant list - Halloween Day 2008

You can easily judge the character of others by how they treat those who they think can do nothing for them.    I BELIEVE THIS TO BE SOOOOO TRUE!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »