I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 12, 2024, 11:20:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Dull pain in legs
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dull pain in legs  (Read 2997 times)
draven

« on: November 03, 2008, 11:39:36 AM »

hi guys

i have been experiencing this for sometime, but its really starting to bug me,

I have this dull throbbing pain that goes from my thighs basically to just below the kneecaps.
and it gets so bad i cant sleep with out taking any pain meds. i also notice that when I'm experiencing this pain i have trouble using stairs.
my kneecaps hurt with every step i take. is this dialysis related. my blood levels have been a little high but not at a serious level.
people joke with me and say i have gout. but its not really funny anymore.

i hope once i have the transplant this pain goes away!!! :banghead;
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2008, 01:45:57 PM »

I don't have this problem.  You better get it checked out.  They need to determine its cause before a transplant or they won't give you one.  You need to be infection free, cancer free, etc because when you get a transplant they take your immune system away for awhile.  A common cold would be pneumonia overnight.  Go get this checked out.

Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2008, 01:49:24 PM »

First of all gout is no laughing matter it is very painful. Do as Rerun says and get it checked out. It could be anything. Good luck and let us know what you find.
twirl
Member for Life

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2008, 01:57:04 PM »

there is nothing funny about gout
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2008, 02:04:55 PM »

It doesn't sound like gout to me, at least not like my gout which was in my big toes.  Bloody excruciating I'd call it.  Cracking a smile with gout is tough, forget laughing entirely.  Get it checked out Draven and let us know what you find out.

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
Romona
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2008, 02:34:54 PM »

It wouldn't hurt to mention it to your doctors. Maybe they will find something.
Normie

Ellie

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2008, 03:59:00 PM »

Hi,
It could be gout.  I is very painful.  I had gout in my left heel - Achilles tendon.  It was like flashing pain over and over again without end, but only lasted one day.  I also had it in my right middle finger top joint at 2 in the morning.  That didn't last as long.  It can happen in many different joints such as big toe, knees, fingers, heel, ankle, elbow etc. I hear it get worse with each attack.  Best to get it checked out. 
Best wishes,
Normie      :grouphug;

Normie

Kidney damage 4/22/07

Predialysis
ODAT

Nala - Mom's Cat

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2008, 07:18:42 AM »

How are you doing?

I can attest to gout getting worse with each attack. I am having my second ever. First was 14 months ago. The worst was a few nights ago, kept waking me up felt like someone was stabbing my big toe/bunion area over and over again. That was Sunday night (3 days into attack) went to doc on Monday - gave me Indomethacin (time-released anti-inflamatory). He asked if I wanted pain med and I said no. Called him the next day and asked for some. Got extra strength vicodin. Only took 3 so far at least 6 hours apart.

He also had my uric acid level tested. It is 8.2. Normal for women is between 2.4 - 6.0. Yikes!

As is your sort of mind, so is your sort of search: you will find what you desire.
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2008, 01:40:27 PM »

Odat, will they give you something to help reduce the uric acid?  I take allopuranol daily and it has kept the gout from returning.  Unbelievable pain!   I hope you get some relief soon.  :cuddle;

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
Bajanne
Member for Life

Goofynina and Epoman - Gone But Not Forgotten

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2008, 02:34:08 PM »

Hello!  My name is Bajanne and I am a gout sufferer.
That is about the most horrible pain I know.   I tool allopurinol for a while and it has kept away.  Odat, thank you for reminding me what the doctor gave me for the pain.  You can't take the allopurinol while you are suffering with gout - it will make it worse!  But after an attack, it keeps further attacks away.
It is all to do with the level of uric acid in your system.
The best person to deal with it is a doctor.  Take these two drug names with you, in case it is gout - Indomethacin and Allopurinol (Zyloprim).
Hope you got or will get relief very soon! :cuddle;

"To be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own ...but that which is based on faith"

I LOVE  my IHD family! :grouphug;
ODAT

Nala - Mom's Cat

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2008, 07:20:19 PM »

Odat, will they give you something to help reduce the uric acid?  I take allopuranol daily and it has kept the gout from returning.  Unbelievable pain!   I hope you get some relief soon.  :cuddle;

Hey paris, doc said he would if I get another attack closer together than this time.

Finally feel relief. Being very careful though - can't bend my toe yet.

As is your sort of mind, so is your sort of search: you will find what you desire.
yosho

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2008, 08:20:42 PM »

I have had gout for years and it is the worst pain in the world. Most people think it only affects the toe joints and it often does, but it can affect any of your joints. I have had gout attacks on my knees, elbow, and fingers. My doc currently prescribes allapurinol and colchine for gout. It is manageable so please talk to your doc. If it's not in the joint perhaps it could be nerapathy if you are diabetic. Please take care.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »