I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2024, 12:30:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  AAAArrrrrgggghhhh-Low drain volume...
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: AAAArrrrrgggghhhh-Low drain volume...  (Read 2514 times)
Noahsmum

« on: October 19, 2008, 01:43:41 PM »

We are tearing our hair out with this alarm!!
Last week on Wednesday Noah had a night of low drain volume which coincided with negative UF... we had clinic the next day and his catheter was flushed (hes on heparin) and this was good.
The 2 day's following this were uneventful, however Friday night I think I had about an hours sleep dealing with the alarms and then last night I ended his therapy (at the advise of the dialysis nurse) because of the almost immediate repeat of Friday night!
Anyhow..tonight-I bypassed the initial drain at -14ml, and now the after the 1st fill/dwell the alarm has gone off already 3 times..he has only drained 29 mls in the past 30 mins...i have moved him, last night I lowered his machine-could the machine be the problem??
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
xx
willieandwinnie
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2008, 01:59:21 PM »

Amy, I can't help you with the problems you are having but I'm sure someone will jump in here and answer for you. I hope you get it figured out.  :cuddle;

"I know there's nothing to it, but I want to know what it is there's nothing to"
Ken Shelmerdine
Elite Member

Life's a bitch and then you go on dialysis!

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2008, 05:42:27 AM »

Hi Noahs Mum
The height of the machine is critical for draining as it relies partly on gravity and pump action. I used to get this problem until I lowerd the height of the machine. The base of the machine should be no higher or peferably slightly lower than the top of the mattress of the bed.
Also you could set the machine to say 80% tidal which means it will only demand that percentage of the fluid to drain. This is how I set my machine. In the morning because I am dry during the day I do a manual stand up drain (I drain fully when I am in a standing position) to finally empty the remain ing 20%. Hope this helps.

Ken
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »