I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2024, 02:36:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  2 fer one
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2 fer one  (Read 6261 times)
twirl
Member for Life

« on: October 15, 2008, 02:22:17 PM »

today I got my "flu" shot at D or so I thought
needles are not my friend so I was not in a good mood when nurses came over and told me they gave me the wrong shot
I got a pneumonia shot
they rolled a chair up and joked around
why not just come tell me - why make a circus out of it
then I got the flu shot
and I was asked to sign a consent form
I wanted to know why I would sign a consent form if it was after the fact
I mean, don't BS me with jokes and five nurses all laughing and trying to make it a party atmosphere
it was not that long ago I was seconds away from being hooked up to the wrong cylinder
I am not mad, I guess I will benefit but please tell me like an adult
and I do not want a damn sucker

EDITED: Thread LOCKED - okarol/admin
« Last Edit: October 16, 2008, 07:22:18 PM by okarol » Logged
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2008, 02:34:59 PM »

Twirl, could you see yourself asking to speak to the charge nurse and telling her just what you said in your post.  I'd say it as calmly but as directly as possible.  No circus, no jollying me along along, no five nurses needed, just straight apology for the error and talk to me like an adult. 

Aaarrgghh

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
twirl
Member for Life

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2008, 03:26:58 PM »

the charge nurse was in the middle of it along with the center's director :o
twirl
Member for Life

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2008, 03:28:40 PM »

oh monrein, I forgot
the nurse who did it keep telling me she is the one who tells the doctor about the mistake; not the patient
it never occurred to me to tell my neph
he has a short fuse when it comes to his patients
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2008, 03:38:19 PM »

I'd still ask to speak alone with either the director or the charge nurse (or both darnit) and tell them HOW I need this stuff to be handled from this day forward.  Just be sure not to do it while you're hooked up.  Best to do it when you feel put together and less vulnerable.  Failing that, put it in writing and be sure to cc a copy to your neph.  The big bummer of course is that we have to spend any energy at all on crap that ought never to happen in the first place.
 :Kit n Stik; :Kit n Stik; :Kit n Stik; :Kit n Stik; :Kit n Stik; (5 well placed Kit Sticks)

(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
flip
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2008, 04:39:35 PM »

Do I need to have Roy D. Mercer give them a call? There's no excuse for that and somebody needs a good ass whoopin'.

That which does not kill me only makes me stronger - Neitzsche
twirl
Member for Life

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2008, 05:33:04 PM »

flip    YES :thumbup;
cris

Nanay, superwoman, super dooper, best mother

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2008, 10:38:20 PM »

Twirl,
are they Filipino nurses? give them a lesson!

there is no greater love than this: "that a man lays down his life for his friend"
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2008, 04:02:52 AM »

What if you had been allergic to what they gave you?  That is the reason for the consent form.  You read and answer questions and then sign.

YOU tell your Neph!  Go to his office and tell him.  Don't do it where the stupid nurses know.  That is so BAD!  You only need the Pneumonia shot once every 7 years.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2008, 04:05:11 AM by Rerun » Logged

twirl
Member for Life

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2008, 05:35:26 AM »

they are American
and the nurse said she is the one who tells the doctor not the patient
so I am calling this morning
and why do they think I am a idiot
the guilty nurse telling me instead of them making a show out of it
and I am always nice so and they know that
we are adults----- aren't we
we lose pee power not brain power
kimcanada
Elite Member

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2008, 05:41:10 AM »

Twirl, I am getting pissed just thinking about it...

I am like you, I am ALWAYS nice, but when there is something serious happening, be serious about it!

I am glad that you didn't have a reaction to the wrong needle

Peace Friend

Kim

http://www.kimhoben.com
devon

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2008, 06:34:31 AM »

Twirl!  You go Girl! 

They are really insulting your intelligence.  You are a patient, not an inmate!

-Devon
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2008, 06:45:54 AM »

Twirl,
are they Filipino nurses? give them a lesson!

I fail to see the relevance of this racial reference.  It makes no difference whatsoever where these nurses are originally from.  We have Filipina (the men are Filipino) nurses in my self-care unit, in fact my buttonhole trainer is Filipina and she is wonderful, skilled and caring.  If a nurse is incompetent, that is the issue, not where she/he was born.   If we grant more slack to those who resemble us more closely and are harsher with those who are more different, the word for that is racism.

People are individuals first and just as we want to be seen as individuals, not as a broad class of dialysis patients, we owe the same consideration to those who help us. 

Perhaps you didn't mean your words in this way, but statements like that really get up my nose.

(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Rerun
Member for Life

« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2008, 09:14:12 AM »

Monrein, the Filipina/Filipino nurses and techs are idiots in my book.  They hardly speak English and they don't care about us.  They come from a land that doesn't have as much so they think we Americans are spoiled (as I had one tell me).  So if an alarm goes off they take their sweet time going over to get it corrected.  We had a Filipino patient and they sat and talked to him and he got anything he wanted.  He was always put on first.  Who is racist here?  I had 2 Filipina nurses try and give me insulin.  I'm not diabetic.  Come to find out.  They not know what DNR mean!!!!
p*ck!

monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2008, 09:46:02 AM »

Rerun, in my book, that is absolutely wrong and I would be at the head of the complaining line.  I would write letters about incompetence and about preferential treatment.  Unqualified is unqualified and perhaps those nurses or techs ought to be fired.  It sounds as though they should  be dismissed.  I see no contradiction between what you've said and what I said.  If Filipino patients get preferential treatment that should be pointed out and stopped.  Exactly the same as if a white patient got preferential treatment.

Now I have a question that is not rhetorical.  Have you ever found yourself in a medical situation where you got preferential treatment at the expense of someone else who maybe was older or more different in race or language or whatever?  Did you accept to go ahead of them?  Or did you say "Sorry but you may have made a mistake, Vikram was here before me, you need to put him on first".  I have done so and hope to continue being as fair to others as I want them to be to me. 

My issue with the post I commented on is that it wasn't fair in the specific case of Twirl's issue.  To assume that the nurse or tech was Filipina because a mistake was made is a big leap and was in fact incorrect.
Many dialysis patients have no clue about their treatment and do not seem to care about learning.  If a medical person approaches me with that generalization in mind, that I don't have a clue because I'm a helpless dialysis patient, it is equally unfair and I wouldn't accept that either.

I repeat, at my clinic there are three Filipina nurses and two techs.  They are ALL good at their jobs, are extremely sweet to me and the other patients and I feel confident that they would be fired in a heartbeat if they were not.

Possibly there is another problem at work in the States.  Are underqualified people hired in order to save more money and make more profit for the system?  I have no idea but I do have a strong sense of fair and unfair criticisms of people.  This particular comment felt unfair to me in the way that it was stated.

(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
paul.karen
Elite Member

« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2008, 12:20:07 PM »

Wow.

This is not funny at all.

Wanna borrow my can of (whoopass)...........

Guess next time you should bring your  :Kit n Stik; club.

And hello everyone im paul :waving;

Curiosity killed the cat
Satisfaction brought it back

Operation for PD placement 7-14-09
Training for cycler 7-28-09

Started home dialysis using Baxter homechoice
8-7-09
G-Ma
Elite Member

« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2008, 12:31:12 PM »

Hi Paul and welcome....
monrein..I agree completely with fair and unfair......and everything else you said.
twirl...I am not happy about what happened to you..reason being...my husband was given a pneumonia shot without knowing what it was, nurse gave it as a combination flu and pneu and he got deathly ill..due to that I will not have a pneumonia...just very afraid of it and I would immediately have told my nephrologist...do not pass go, do not collect 250.00.  S rolls downhill...I have found from years of experience especially when the nurse said patient does not tell,....oh no no no...do not tell me what to tell.
You grab the big stick and take off.....

:Kit n Stik;

Lost vision due to retinopathy 12/2005, 30 Laser Surg 2006
ESRD diagnosed 12/2006
03/2007 Fantastic Eye Surgeon in ND got my sight back and implanted lenses in both eyes, great distance & low reading.
Gortex 4/07.  Started dialysis in ND 5/4/2007
Gortex clotted off Thanksgiving Week of 2007, was unclotted and promptly clotted off 1/2 hour later so Permacath Rt chest.
3/2008 move to NC to be close to children.
2 Step fistula, 05/08-elevated 06/08, using mid August.
Aug 5, 08, trained NxStage and Home on 9/3/2008.
Fistulagram 09/2008. In hospital 10/30/08, Bowel Obstruction.
Back to RAI-Latrobe In Center. No home hemo at this time.
GOD IS GOOD
Stacy Without An E

God's Action Figure

« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2008, 01:44:27 PM »

Sometimes I wonder how people survive some of the awful, debilitating care that is reported here.  It makes me thankful I have a clinic where everyone's sole purpose is care for the patients instead of clowning around like goons.

Stacy Without An E

1st Kidney Transplant: May 1983
2nd Kidney Transplant: January 1996
3rd Kidney Transplant: Any day now.

The Adventures of Stacy Without An E
stacywithoutane.blogspot.com

Dialysis.  Two needles.  One machine.  No compassion.
twirl
Member for Life

« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2008, 02:53:52 PM »

my daughter is Stacy with a Stasie :thumbup;
I am glad you are at a good cliinic too :beer1;
Rerun
Member for Life

« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2008, 03:29:51 PM »

Rerun, in my book, that is absolutely wrong and I would be at the head of the complaining line.  I would write letters about incompetence and about preferential treatment.  Unqualified is unqualified and perhaps those nurses or techs ought to be fired.  It sounds as though they should  be dismissed.  I see no contradiction between what you've said and what I said.  If Filipino patients get preferential treatment that should be pointed out and stopped.  Exactly the same as if a white patient got preferential treatment.

Now I have a question that is not rhetorical.  Have you ever found yourself in a medical situation where you got preferential treatment at the expense of someone else who maybe was older or more different in race or language or whatever?  Did you accept to go ahead of them?  Or did you say "Sorry but you may have made a mistake, Vikram was here before me, you need to put him on first".  I have done so and hope to continue being as fair to others as I want them to be to me. 

My issue with the post I commented on is that it wasn't fair in the specific case of Twirl's issue.  To assume that the nurse or tech was Filipina because a mistake was made is a big leap and was in fact incorrect.
Many dialysis patients have no clue about their treatment and do not seem to care about learning.  If a medical person approaches me with that generalization in mind, that I don't have a clue because I'm a helpless dialysis patient, it is equally unfair and I wouldn't accept that either.

I repeat, at my clinic there are three Filipina nurses and two techs.  They are ALL good at their jobs, are extremely sweet to me and the other patients and I feel confident that they would be fired in a heartbeat if they were not.

Possibly there is another problem at work in the States.  Are underqualified people hired in order to save more money and make more profit for the system?  I have no idea but I do have a strong sense of fair and unfair criticisms of people.  This particular comment felt unfair to me in the way that it was stated.

The only problem with turning a Filipino careperson is there are 5 behind him or her.  Then you run into reprisal and that is no fun.  So you just keep your mouth shut and come on IHD and vent.  And watch your back.  And no I have never been given preferential treatment.  I had insurance as my primary and was trying to work full-time (HOLD DOWN A JOB) and I'd still get put on late and get the crappy chair with no light to read my work procedure. 

Right now.... I ride the paratransit van/bus.  I have to wait 2 hours after all night at dialysis to get picked up.  The black lady next to me gets a private taxi to come pick her up right after we get off.  Why???  She is a minority and is on medicaid.  I'll say it again.  She gets a private taxi and I wait 2 hours for the public paratransit van/bus.  I'll just keep my mouth shut and wait the 2 hours because it isn't Politically Correct to point things out when it comes to unfair acts.

boxman55
Elite Member

« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2008, 03:52:06 PM »

I believe in open dialog on these forums but lets not single specific races out. IHD has a diverse membership and we need to be careful not to group people together because of the actions of a few people.

Boxman, Moderator

"Be the change you wished to be"
Started Hemodialysis 8/14/06
Lost lower right leg 5/16/08 due to Diabetes
Sister was denied donation to me for medical reasons 1/2008
cris

Nanay, superwoman, super dooper, best mother

« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2008, 04:11:43 PM »

Monrein, I fully agree with you on racism, as I have had first hand experiences of these discriminations. I am a filipina and proud to be one. My comment does not intend at the least to alienate races but I am speaking as one from a filipino culture. The act that was committed speaks so much of our typical culture that takes anything lightly on a happy face, or shall I say cover anything with a comedy act in an attempt to lighten up the offense, which oftentimes are insulting to other cultures. I was guessing that Twirl had this "culture" encountered and was hoping that Twirl can at least reprimand and teach the nurses so as to remind them that they are in a foreign land and that is a despicable act.
Sorry if I went off topic.

there is no greater love than this: "that a man lays down his life for his friend"
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2008, 04:39:16 PM »

Rerun, I hope you know the extent to which your post makes me angry at the system you must live with and in which you feel you must shut up and put up with whatever treatment is dished out.  I am not a fan of "political correctness" in general but I feel it is always perfectly "political" and perfectly "correct" to rail against injustices, particularly those that fall into our laps and hit us on the head.  I have often spoken up for people less able to do it for themselves and I don't care a whit  how those in authority see it.  I don't expect special treatment and I won't tolerate bad treatment.  Just fair, reasonable and respectful treatment for every patient (and worker) at the clinic.  I would take on the whole gang of five if that were necessary due to glaring unfairness.   I took on the really crappy nursing assistant care at the nursing home that my husband's grandmother was in many years ago  and got my MIL involved with a group that was working to make some changes to legislation governing nursing homes.  They weren't too thrilled but no matter.  We achieved some small improvements.   As a social worker, advocacy on behalf of others was an integral part of my job and I have been involved in many cases in schools, in courts and of course within families.  And sometimes, what people view as unfair to them is in fact not.  They are looking for special treatment because they think they deserve it and my job was to hold the line and try to help them understand this point and get over themselves.

I've pulled aside more than one dialysis nurse since I've been at this, to talk about things that strike me as not right.  Just last week I had to ask one if I'd offended her in some way because she was snippy with me and I didn't like it.  She assured me everything was fine, but see this is another reason that I like the fact that I now do everything for myself.  I don't need them at all to help me and if I do need something, I won't be asking the moody one.  I believe that she may be having some personal problems right now and they are spilling over into her job.  I'm prepared to cut her some slack but I won't allow her to take it out on me.  She's also quite rude in my view to another one of the patients and I've talked to him to lend my support about how he might handle it.  

We don't have the taxi/paratransit bus issue here because our system is different.  We all have the same medical coverage, although some people have private insurance that may pay for a private room in the hospital instead of a double room.  We are all equal in terms of dialysis treatment and access to doctors.  No such thing (so far) as private versus public.  Not a perfect system but I like living in a place that does not differentiate health care on a financial basis or see people in terms of their money.   I know the US sees this as socialism but I strongly disagree.  I could take the paratransit bus here too but it's much faster for me to just hop on the regular transit (subway) and that's available to everyone.  I also feel that since I'm capable of taking the bus and subway, it would be wrong of me to use the far more expensive paratransit system which is not for me, at the moment, a necessary resource.  Those taking taxis here are only those who pay for it out of their own funds.   I'm lucky that my husband picks me up most days and if anyone needs a ride we can do that too.

Now, are you saying that the lady who gets a taxi home gets it because she is a minority?  Or because she is on medicaid?  What does her colour have to do with her having a taxi ride?  Surely that can't be possible?  If she were white (or a kind of pinky cream, like me) and on medicaid would she not also get a taxi?

Sorry people, I've no clue how this got so long.  I want to reorganize Rerun's clinic and I want to pop into Twirl's to speak with them too.  

I was writing this while you were posting Cris.  Thanks for your clarification.     

(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
G-Ma
Elite Member

« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2008, 05:14:17 PM »

cris..thanks for clarifying
when I went in center I was able to ride the van for disabled simply because I live in a county that provides this service.  I paid for a weeks worth of tickets that was punched each ride.   The bulk of riders were on Medicaid but nicely done, their cards looked the same as mine, the van drivers gave us all the same wonderful consideration and we gave each other the respect we all deserve.  I just thank God I had a job for years that allowed me to be able to have private insurance until I'm 65 as I have no clue what I would do without that. 
Rerun..Medicaid at least in this state is not all you seem to think it is.  I know for a fact that people on Medicaid do not get the same medical care I do or same medicines I do and I think that is atrocious.  The mother of a young man I know is on dialysis on Medicaid and getting sicker every day and they have never even suggested she take binders so I am constantly informing him of the next step he should go.  How scarey is that?
There are times I go into restaurants and get very obvious preferential treatment because I am the right color??? Well, I don't let that happen.  Don't even tell me you have not seen something like this and to think you even might have allowed it is worse as far as I'm concerned.  Normally I would not mention this topic simply because my father raised me to get along with everyone.  This was even in ND where most people didn't know other races existed..how funny, but I remember times when he brought Am Indians home for meals, hobos from the railroad tracks, black men who couldn't get served in town and even encouraged us to know people of all religions.  Lord, I miss my father.  We should have more like him in our lives.

Lost vision due to retinopathy 12/2005, 30 Laser Surg 2006
ESRD diagnosed 12/2006
03/2007 Fantastic Eye Surgeon in ND got my sight back and implanted lenses in both eyes, great distance & low reading.
Gortex 4/07.  Started dialysis in ND 5/4/2007
Gortex clotted off Thanksgiving Week of 2007, was unclotted and promptly clotted off 1/2 hour later so Permacath Rt chest.
3/2008 move to NC to be close to children.
2 Step fistula, 05/08-elevated 06/08, using mid August.
Aug 5, 08, trained NxStage and Home on 9/3/2008.
Fistulagram 09/2008. In hospital 10/30/08, Bowel Obstruction.
Back to RAI-Latrobe In Center. No home hemo at this time.
GOD IS GOOD
Rerun
Member for Life

« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2008, 05:31:46 PM »

I believe in open dialog on these forums but lets not single specific races out. IHD has a diverse membership and we need to be careful not to group people together because of the actions of a few people.

Boxman, Moderator

Oh really Boxman!  Let's review Epoman's comments on how he hated when they talk Tagalo in the clinic.  It pissed him off as it did me.  They talk their language with no consideration for the patient who can't understand.  I can say anything I want to on this board as long as I don't call anyone a cuss word like FU****!

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »