I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 10:04:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Off-Topic
| |-+  Diabetes
| | |-+  Mom is in the hospital - Insulin related
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mom is in the hospital - Insulin related  (Read 15172 times)
ODAT

Nala - Mom's Cat

« on: October 09, 2008, 04:26:02 AM »

Last night around 8:00, my brother called me and said sis had called an ambulance for mom. Sis had checked mom's blood sugar at lunch and it was 264 so she gave her the dosage required. Dinner bs was 243. Sis gave her more insulin. Mom went into convulsions and was throwing up. Sis flipped out needless to say. Got the epy pen and gave mom a shot in her thigh. Convulsions stopped soon after.

What happened was the visiting nurse came that day and was 'adjusting' the meter so it would show date and time. Somehow she set it where a different read showed first (?) and to get the actual read of what you just did you had to go to the next number. I don't understand. But mom's bs was actually fine both times and she did not need insulin. Her bs was 164 and 157! Sis is going to have a 'talk' with that nurse.

Mom had a few more tremors in her legs at the hospital. When I first saw her, she looked fine enough. Sis wouldn't go in yet, she was way too upset. Mom was starting to cry knowing sis was upset. I told her 'mom, she will be fine. don't cry because it will not help you.' She said 'ok.' Sis kept saying to me and my other sis that she could have killed her. I told her that it couldn't have happened and it was good she knew to give her the epy pen (whatever it's called).

They were just monitoring her bs. Her bp was 181/76. Readings ranged from 165 to 151. Told going to watch her for about 4 to 5 hours. ER doc finally comes in and while mom's heart rate usually is low, ranging from 48 to 52, it dropped to 35 when he was in there. He said he was concerned. They did an EKG - I left before results (left at 1:00am). Around 12:30am doc told us he was admitting mom due to her heart rate. She of course got upset when he left the room and I got her calmed down pretty fast. Told her that the night was almost over and she'd be sleeping anyway. Sis ended up spending the night. Hope they found her a good chair.

The ER doc was going to consult with cardiology and mom's heart doctor. Mom does take Metoprolol. I think about 1/4 of a tablet. That's why her low heart rate was acceptable. There were a few other times when mom didn't even move that her heart rate dropped to 40, 38, 35. But it also jumped as high as 140 when she moved. Ranged from 97 up to 140 when she moved.

Metoprolol is used alone or in combination with other medications to treat high blood pressure. It also is used to prevent angina (chest pain) and to treat heart attacks. Extended-release (long-acting) metoprolol also is used in combination with other medications to treat heart failure. Metoprolol is in a class of medications called beta blockers. It works by slowing the heart rate and relaxing the blood vessels so the heart does not have to pump as hard.

Well, I have to go to work. I will let you know how things are going.

As is your sort of mind, so is your sort of search: you will find what you desire.
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2008, 05:15:12 AM »

How much more of this can your Mom take? Geez you would think the Nurse would be educated enough to  at least keep you informed as to what she is doing. Something doesn't add up. Hope she bounces back again and gets her adjustments right this time. Prayers for a smoother trail ahead.  :grouphug;
ODAT

Nala - Mom's Cat

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2008, 07:19:57 AM »

Mom's bs at 2:00am was 316. Because of that they determined that it was not too much insulin, it was a reaction to the insulin. It was the first time mom had it. They are going to check the meter, have a consult with all her doctors: neurologist - going to review the mri results from yesterday, diabetes doc, primary, heart doc, and kidney doc. I talked to the kidney doc this morning because my aunt was at the hospital this morning and my sis told me that she told mom maybe she needs to start dialysis and then prayed with her. I am not at all convinced that she needs to do so. Neph said they need to figure out her insulin and heart rate issues. He will go in if they call him, as they will, but her numbers look fine/ the same. I asked sis to get numbers.

They gave mom a shot of humalog. Mom's legs tremored after the shot - not sure how much time passed but they aren't going to give her anymore of that either.

I am giving so much detail because I want to help anyone else out there who may be going through the same thing. That's what we all do here. Say it all and don't hold back - it will make you feel better, you'll get some answers from others, and you will help others.

As is your sort of mind, so is your sort of search: you will find what you desire.
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2008, 08:45:11 AM »

Thanks ODAT. I cannot imagine how your mom feels going through all of this. She is lucky to have daughters to help her.

Sometimes I wonder if they prescribe so many medications that it gets to the point where they no longer have a clue what interactions are taking place. Seems like it would be great to toss them all out and start from scratch!

HUGS for your mom.  :grouphug;

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2008, 09:55:31 AM »

:grouphug; 

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
ODAT

Nala - Mom's Cat

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2008, 10:54:34 AM »

I agree okarol. I told my sisters that I thought she should be retested to make sure she was diabetic.

Mom was prescribed Novolin by the diabetic doc. She now is taking humalog. I thought they were stopping it because of the leg tremor, but she had a second dose and was fine.

Still haven't heard what her numbers are. Hope the doctors get together soon. I will be going up around 6pm.

thanks for the hugs, I like to give hugs too...  :grouphug;

del
Elite Member

del and willowtreewren meet

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2008, 05:18:49 PM »

Don't take your organs to heaven.  Heaven knows we need them here.
ODAT

Nala - Mom's Cat

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2008, 08:14:48 PM »

Mom was moved from ER this afternoon to the cardio floor. She is on a heart monitor, iv fluids, and they are going to put cuffs on her legs that inflate/deflate to prevent blood clots. She first said she didn't want them that they'd make her anxious, but the nurse convinced her to try it and they'd take them off if she wanted. They can't give her heparin due to the internal bleeding that happened.

The plan the docs told sis was that all the doctors were going to be contacted and brought together for a meeting. Hope that happens soon. Mom is not to get any insulin unless her bs is over 200. Brother and sis were there when a nurse was about to give her insulin and her bs was 171. They told her not to give mom insulin.

Mom's legs got shaky for a minute or so. She got real upset. She just wants to go to sleep and wake up feeling better.

ODAT

Nala - Mom's Cat

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2008, 06:12:54 AM »

Mom was discharged this morning. Sis is going to pick her up. Don't even know if the doctors met or if they are changing meds. The one thing is that she won't have any insulin again and will see the diabetes doc on Monday. One week left with my sister here. Hope things smooth out. Sis told me last night that she wants to leave when everything is calm. The last few times she's come to visit there have been ER visits or someone passes. She got here the day before our brother died and a few days before our dad passed.

devon

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2008, 11:01:47 AM »

Jeeze ODAT!  What a week!  I pray you have peace soon. All of you!

-Devon
ODAT

Nala - Mom's Cat

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2008, 05:31:04 PM »

Thanks - the drama still continues. Even though my brother and sister told the nurse the night before to contact the doctor and get it on the chart that she only gets insulin if over 200, this morning when my mom was alone the nurse came in with insulin. Mom's blood sugar was around 170. Mom said 'I'm not supposed to get that. I don't want it.' The nurse said 'It's in the chart" and gave it to her. At mom's 1:00pm oncology appointment to get her aranesp shot, her legs started to tremor. They gave her orange juice and crackers with peanut butter and couldn't give her the aranesp. We will be making some phone calls. Hope you all don't get sick of my drama! I know you won't you guys and gals are great. :grouphug;

monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2008, 06:52:51 PM »

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2008, 09:11:03 PM »

:cuddle;
Hang in there!

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2008, 09:59:57 PM »

Sorry to hear what has happened with your mom. This nurse seems to be a dimwit. If a patient say's I'm not suppose to get that, then the stupid nurse should double check with a doctor, not what's on a piece of paper that may not have been updated.

As for the glucose meter, I have had several brands and none of them have had the function to display the past readings while taking a current measurment. I have One Touch, Accu-check, Freestyle, Medidense/Precision, Bayer, Prodigy, and Advent, so the only thing I can think of is that this meter is either a hospital issued type (for multiple patients) or a meter that is broken or being used wrong. The nurse should never change a thing if this is a personal glucose meter though. If need be, invest in your own new meter. Usually given out free by diabetic educators, free after purchasing strips, or at a very low price.

I just really hate bad nurses and doctors, I have had to may of them and hate to see someone else have a bad experience that effects their lives also.

Diabetes -  age 7

Neuropathy in legs age 10

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
   -glaucoma and surgery for that
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Diagnosed with ESRD June 29, 1999
1st Dialysis - July 4, 1999
Last Dialysis - December 2, 2000

Kidney and Pancreas Transplant - December 3, 2000

Cataract Surgery on good eye - June 24, 2009
Knee Surgery 2010
2011/2012 in process of getting a guide dog
Guide Dog Training begins July 2, 2012 in NY
Guide Dog by end of July 2012
Next eye surgery late 2012 or 2013 if I feel like it
Home with Guide dog - July 27, 2012
Knee Surgery #2 - Oct 15, 2012
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012
Lifes Adventures -  Priceless

No two day's are the same, are they?
ODAT

Nala - Mom's Cat

« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2008, 01:16:34 PM »

Mom had a diabetes doctor appointment today. He kept her on humalog same as before with testing before meals. He said mom's convulsions were not from the insulin. He noted that one time mom reacted only three minutes after insulin and that it takes longer than that. He also said my sister should not have used the epy pen - that it was only if she was unconcious.

He was also concerned if mom could give herself insulin, and sis said yes. We are looking into home health care for mom. She can't live alone until her wrist is better, if even then.

I don't know what is causing the violent muscle spasms if that is what it is. All's I know is mom is crying way too much and her legs are almost not able to support her anymore.

:banghead; seriously, that's what I feel like doing. I have all my concerns with my mom, hubby and I haven't been getting along, younger son (16) never got along good with his dad, and I let him (son) get his left ear pierced today! Right now hubby is mowing the lawn. My older son (19) hasn't seen it either. They are both gonna flip, but ya know what, even if I do everything right hubby finds something. Not that it's a good reason. There are so many boys that have them. If it's the worst he wants to do, then it's ok. He has two friends - one he's known since age 6 - that now do drugs and drink (they're parents know) that he won't hang around anymore. Good for him. Ok i am way off topic, but I am so stressed and at a loss. I just wish there were answers. Sis is going home 10/18. Mom isn't stable.

Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2008, 05:28:11 PM »

Just a thought.  But some people can't tolerate Humalog, yet they can tolerate Novalog and vise versa. I found this out when I went to a diabetes open house meeting and this was being discussed by the diabetes educator and a doctor. In some cases people can not tolerate the recombinant insulin and need the beef/pork insulin which is really hard to get these day's. If this continues to happen, time for a second opinion Seems odd to only happen only when she gets an injection. Just because the insulin takes about 15 minutes to start having an effect on blood sugars, it doesn't mean it's not reacting with the body in some other fashion. Also seems odd to me about the doctor saying your sis was wrong to give the glucagon injection. 1, it stopped her from convulsing and 2, she's not a doctor and doing what was best to her knowledge and symptoms at the time. Yes, maybe your sis should have tried juice or glucose tablets or something easy to get in before the glucagon was injected, but she is human and still helped her mother. Some doctors just need a  :Kit n Stik; or a  :boxing;

Diabetes -  age 7

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Knee Surgery 2010
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012

Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2008, 05:30:23 PM »

I think the Nurse needs to know what the words "I don't want it" mean. Your Mom is of solid mind, if she says no, then No means No!  :grouphug; We are praying for you and your Mom.
ODAT

Nala - Mom's Cat

« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2008, 05:57:00 PM »

I totally agree with you guys. I misunderstood about what the doctor said about the insulin. He said that the insulin itself didn't cause it, but getting too much did.  :rant;

Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2008, 06:31:13 PM »

WTH, the guy sounds like an idiot. A moron who can't explain things to a patient or family is a dis service.

The closest thing I can think of that comes close to what he has said is that when I was giving injections in my arms and legs only, I developed scar tissue. This led to insulin being absorb more slowly depending on the site where I was giving the injection. Sometimes the insulin built up and when I gave my next injection in a beter spot later that day, it worked with the earlier injection that was being slowly absorbed and caused a hypoglycemic reaction. (This is how it was explained to me years ago by a doctor)  I don't think he meant that though.

Diabetes -  age 7

Knee Surgery 2010
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012

pelagia
Elite Member

« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2008, 07:42:18 PM »

Hope things will settle down at home ODAT.  I have one comment regarding the earring... I first noticed about 7-8 years ago that the college kids coming to our marine lab in the summer for internships had piercings and tattoos.  These kids are destined to be scientists, not the types who are generally considered to be trend setters.  Piercings and tattoos are everywhere now, very mainstream.  I hope it doesn't turn out to be a big issue when you have so many other things to worry about.

As for me, I'll borrow this thought: "Having never experienced kidney disease, I had no idea how crucial kidney function is to the rest of the body." - KD
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »