I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2024, 07:21:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  I've got the itchies too--any new info?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: I've got the itchies too--any new info?  (Read 2084 times)
RightSide
Elite Member

« on: October 05, 2008, 11:19:44 PM »

Well, I'm itching all over, whether it's from the renal failure or my anemia or what, I don't know.  Probably it's from the renal failure, right?  Then my skin erupts in these reddened raised patches; I guess that's from scratching, or maybe it's some kind of allergic reaction.  The itching is so bad I'm getting very little sleep.

I was just wondering what the latest and greatest advice is for dealing with the itchies these days.  My doctor told me to try Benadryl (antihistamine), but it doesn't do much good and it wears off after a couple of hours.  I've tried hydrocortisone steroid cream too.  It helps, but I notice that it or anything else that makes the skin feel greasy (like moisturizers) just seems to make the itching worse, as the grease clogs the pores of my skin.

I tried to make an appointment to see a dermatologist to ask about UVB light therapy.  But where I live, they're all booked up till the end of October!  Grrrr.

Any advice would be most appreciated!
Joe Paul
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2008, 12:34:20 AM »

High phosphorus can cause itching. Do you eat or drink lots of dairy products? (milk, cheese as examples) If so, I would have your Doctor check your phosphorus levels, then check with your dietitian for foods to stay away from, and for binders to help get the phosphorus in control. If it is itching from an allergy, I cant offer help there, other than what you are already doing. Good luck  :thumbup;

"The history of discovery is completed by those who don't follow rules"
Angels are with us, but don't take GOD for granted
Transplant Jan. 8, 2010
boxman55
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2008, 05:34:50 AM »

When I got the Itch's real bad to  the point I was ripping my skin I could not stand it. My Dr. wrote a prescription for Hydroxyz HCL 25mg took one 3x a day and they really worked...Boxman  (they are generic)

"Be the change you wished to be"
Started Hemodialysis 8/14/06
Lost lower right leg 5/16/08 due to Diabetes
Sister was denied donation to me for medical reasons 1/2008
devon

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2008, 07:53:06 AM »

FWIW... 

The culprit is phosphorus, I've been told.

I take 75 mg Benedryl at 9:30pm every night.  (That's three tabs).  Without it, I can't sleep from all the itching.   But the Benedryl seems to keep it under control.  If the 3 tabs don't do it well enough, I take a 4th after the first hour or so.    Nice thing is, Benedryl is over the counter and also helps me sleep.

I have a friend who's on his third transplant.  When I asked him about the itching he told me his childhood nickname was "Cricket" because he was always rubbing his legs together from the itching!  See, we're not alone!

-Devon
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2008, 03:59:23 PM »

Dove soap seems to help me out with the itchies.  Dry skin compounded by high phosphorus sucks!

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
rookiegirl

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2008, 04:11:45 PM »

My itching is below my belly area.  It doesn't itch anywhere else but the belly area.  I don't get it??? My phosphorus level is normal and I'm not on any kind of binders at the moment. The only thing I can think of is the netting the clinic gave me to hold up my catheter.

2000-Diagnosed IGA Nephropathy
2002-1st biopsy (complications)
2004-2nd biopsy
10/03/07-Tenckhoff Catheter Placement
10/22/07-Started Peritoneal Dialysis
03/2008-Transplant team meeting
04/2008-Transplant workup
05/2008-Active Transplant list
3/20/09-Cadaver Kidney Transplant
4/07/09-Tenckhoff Catheter removed
4/20/09-New kidney biopsy
flip
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2008, 04:52:32 PM »

I used to have a similar problem and my center had no success. I heard everything from allergy to fungus. I finally went to a dermatologist and have been itch free ever since.

That which does not kill me only makes me stronger - Neitzsche
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2008, 08:03:40 PM »

I think there are several COMMON causes for itchies... definitely too much phosphorous is a big one... the other week I had the itches BAD and given my phos is at the lower end of normal that was ruled out... they put it down to a change of season allergy... and it did seem to clear up mostly.. I still get the odd patch of it but nowhere near as bad.. and we have had variable weather lately (hot one day, cool the next) which would possibly account for it.

I was told to use non soap-soap (if that makes sense) Sorbaline? I think it is... to clean with rather than soap in the shower which may irritate the itchy areas more.. I tried that and it helped a little I think.

It's horrible when it happens I totally sympathise with everyone battling ti!!

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
RightSide
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2008, 05:21:03 PM »

I see!  I've been trying only one Benadryl capsule per night for the itchies.  I'll try increasing the dose and see if that improves things.
devon

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2008, 06:08:48 AM »

I hope the Benedryl works for you as it does me.  I even give it to my dog when she gets into something in the backyard that makes her swell up and look like a Chinese Temple Dog!  One cap (25mg) is enough for her.  For me though, it take 75mg, 3 caps or sometimes another after 30-40 minutes.

I hope that's helpful.

-Devon
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »