I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 24, 2024, 07:25:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Need help improving 1st time HD treatments for pts
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Need help improving 1st time HD treatments for pts  (Read 2847 times)
Ladyjrn

« on: October 04, 2008, 06:15:51 PM »

I was reading some of the comments I found on the site about people's 1st HD treatments and some were really horror stories!  Wow, I had no idea what some of you go through since I work in an outpatient clinic and usually see you after you've already been through several treatments in the hospital.  What I'd like to ask, is if any of you would be so kind as to give me an idea as to what if anything you can remember of your 1st impression of your 1st clinic experience.  My clinic is growing by leaps and bounds, getting new patients almost every other week and I want their experience to be as pleasant as possible.  If we can make it anymore comforting and less intimidating than what it already appears, than I'd like any suggestions from outside sources.  Thanks in advance for any advice.  Janet
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2008, 06:45:18 PM »

I think it might be helpful to invite patients to visit the center and, if they want, view a patient being put on and taken off, if the patient in center doesn't mind. I think the scariest thing is not knowing what to expect.
I would also like to see the employees of centers get some sensitivity training. They aren't just sticking a patient. Beginning dialysis is a huge change in the patient's life. They are changing how they live. It can be overwhelming, scary and depressing. Tech's, nurses, social workers, nutritionists, doctors and even the receptionist need to learn how to be supportive and respectful and professional. Eating and drinking when the patient can't, ignoring requests, belittling symptoms and a basic disregard for the individual needs of each patient should not be tolerated.
That's my  :twocents;

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
G-Ma
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2008, 06:58:00 PM »

Okarol..that was 100 bucks....yes.  :flower;

Lost vision due to retinopathy 12/2005, 30 Laser Surg 2006
ESRD diagnosed 12/2006
03/2007 Fantastic Eye Surgeon in ND got my sight back and implanted lenses in both eyes, great distance & low reading.
Gortex 4/07.  Started dialysis in ND 5/4/2007
Gortex clotted off Thanksgiving Week of 2007, was unclotted and promptly clotted off 1/2 hour later so Permacath Rt chest.
3/2008 move to NC to be close to children.
2 Step fistula, 05/08-elevated 06/08, using mid August.
Aug 5, 08, trained NxStage and Home on 9/3/2008.
Fistulagram 09/2008. In hospital 10/30/08, Bowel Obstruction.
Back to RAI-Latrobe In Center. No home hemo at this time.
GOD IS GOOD
Orange County Ca

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2008, 07:11:51 PM »

:thumbup; Yep to what they said.  It was exactly what I was thinking.

Its actually quite simple in theory but difficult in practice.  Knowledge knowledge knowledge and treating people the way you want to be treated.  One person, you, can make a difference.  Get the head of the unit thinking that way because all organizations think and act like the boss does.

CAPD 1.25 years
Transplant 4.5 years
Hemodialysis 8 years
Transplant 3 and counting
Ladyjrn

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2008, 07:20:54 PM »

Thanks you guys for your quick responses.  Being the daughter of a previous dialysis patient it's easier for me to be a little more sympathic to the cause.  I do try to get my staff to be sensitive as well and most of the time they're pretty good, but I know there is nothing like living in your shoes.  Again, thank you.
Wallyz

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2008, 09:05:39 PM »

One of he issues was that I had to sign a bunch of "Informed consent" form for treatment.  The idea that I am being told that I will die if I don't have this treatment, and then I have to sign IC forms without being educated is ridiculous.  I was angry and scared, and I created a "problem" for the staff that first day.  Having an educator there a couple hours before so that most of those quesitons can be gone over in greater detail would have been helpful.
Orange County Ca

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2008, 11:12:34 AM »

You did the right thing Wallyz by not going ahead with anything you didn't understand or objected to.

Bug anything more than a tooth pulling calls for the "YOU MAY DIE" form as I call it.  And if they give you gas for that I imagine the form will appear even then.

Nobody is going to touch you without you signing that form first.

CAPD 1.25 years
Transplant 4.5 years
Hemodialysis 8 years
Transplant 3 and counting
Ang
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2008, 03:28:24 PM »

try  getting  pre  dialysis  patients  through  your  doors  before  there  time  comes  around,see  what  goes  on,maybe  talk  to  some  of  the  patients,  those  who  have  been  around  for  a  couple  of  years.

get  those  who  are  pre dialysis, to  research  dialysis  etc  etc,so  when  there  time  comes  along,  they  have  some  idea  on  what  to  expect.
my  motto  is  "information  is  power"

before  i  started  dialysis,  i  used  to  go  to  the  neph  and   he'd  say  see  you  in  3   months,  when  i  walked  in  to  start  dialysis,  it  was  like  shit  i  should  of  looked  into  this,  i  know  nothing.

live  life  to  the  full  and you won't  die  wondering
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2008, 08:33:49 PM »

Yeah, that was bad the first day - in the middle of being scared out of your wits, they want you to sign a ton of forms that you are too out of it to really read.

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2008, 10:06:31 PM »

Good question. I think it might be difficult for you being at an outpatient clinic in that you get sent patients after they've started and been made somewhat stable at a hospital unit. I really like Karol's suiggestions though - they're  pretty spot on.

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
devon

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2008, 08:03:53 AM »

I think one good policy for new patients especially is "answer their questions!" 
I asked all sorts of questions in the first few sessions (questions I was prepared to ask by virtue of my reading in IHD) and usually the tech or nurse would answer with a good explanation.  However, sometimes the tech would answer with a less than informative reply.  For example, the alarm went off and I asked what caused it.  The reply, "You".  That was hardly informative and went into the realm of rude. 

Also, it would be handy if all the staff wear nametags.  Many where I am do not wear name tags.  It's a struggle to learn all the names.  The first time I went into painful cramps, I couldn't get anyone's attention.  I didn't know their names!  Usually in a restaurant, the server begins with a name introduction.  That should be the case with dialysis, too!

Thanks for bringing up this topic!

-Devon
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2008, 08:42:09 AM »

YES! Name tags and introductions would be great! One time I told the charge nurse "The tech with the long straight hair is NEVER to put Jenna on again (twice she ignored our request to adjust the fluid removal.) I didn't know her name.

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
willieandwinnie
Elite Member

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2008, 08:43:17 AM »

I think it might be helpful to invite patients to visit the center and, if they want, view a patient being put on and taken off, if the patient in center doesn't mind. I think the scariest thing is not knowing what to expect.
I would also like to see the employees of centers get some sensitivity training. They aren't just sticking a patient. Beginning dialysis is a huge change in the patient's life. They are changing how they live. It can be overwhelming, scary and depressing. Tech's, nurses, social workers, nutritionists, doctors and even the receptionist need to learn how to be supportive and respectful and professional. Eating and drinking when the patient can't, ignoring requests, belittling symptoms and a basic disregard for the individual needs of each patient should not be tolerated.

Involve the patient in their treatment. Don't act like everything is a big secret. Tell them what you are doing and why you are doing it, what you are giving them and what it is for. And everything that okarol brought up is right on the money.  :waving;

Edited: Fixed quote tag error - okarol/admin
« Last Edit: October 06, 2008, 12:59:50 PM by willieandwinnie » Logged

"I know there's nothing to it, but I want to know what it is there's nothing to"
BigSky
Elite Member

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2008, 12:25:29 PM »

YES! Name tags and introductions would be great! One time I told the charge nurse "The tech with the long straight hair is NEVER to put Jenna on again (twice she ignored our request to adjust the fluid removal.) I didn't know her name.

They really should wear name tags.  Helps to identify if they actually work there or someone is just posing as a nurse.

Many states, do not know if all of them require it,  its a requirement under the SBON regulations that all caregivers must wear a name tag. 

cherpep

« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2008, 11:21:46 AM »

I agree with willieandwinnie - involve the patient with the treatment.  I had no idea what was going on - even something as simple as to why 2 needles were needed.  What is the machine doing?  What does the technician need to monitor?  What should I be aware of - when is it necessary to alert a technician? 

I know a lot of clinics do not allow the patient to have company.  i think for the first week, it should be allowed.  The family also has so many questions and concerns, and it would have helped me to have my husband with me those first few sessions.  I was so frightened and confused, but I was just one of many patients in an assembly line.  It was a horrible experience.

When I was diagnosed, it was all very sudden for me - the diet, the dialysis - the entire new life.  I had so many questions.  The people at the clinic kept saying that a nutritionist would be by to discuss my diet with me.  Do you know it was over a month before I saw the nutritionist?  That was entirely too long.   The diet was the most confusing for me, but by the time I saw her, I had consulted the internet enough to get my own answers - very difficult and very confusing.  The nutritionist should make an effort to see new patients - preferably within the first week.  sometimes that may not be possible - but a month is entirely toooooo long!
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2008, 03:50:28 PM »

Be sure to tell new patients:

About all of the modalities of dialysis. Sometimes they think there is only one way to do it.
Choices about which centers they want to be at int heir areas.  Sometime sinsurance will let you change centers to be better placed.
Have family be with the patient for the rounds of dialysis.  Allow family to bring comfortable things in for the patient.
Tell patients what they can bring in to the center. Food? Drink? Ice?
Give new patients a list of things they should bring with them.
Give the new patients their first set of headphones for the TV free.
Tell patients if you have special things like a DVD player to play movies on.
Give them alist of internet resources or help groups int he area in which they live.
Have a phone number of a dialysis patient willing to listen to them handy.
Introduce them to other patients in the area in which they sit.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2008, 07:58:12 PM »

I agree with involving the patient in their treatment - specially if they are receptive to taking some kind of personal control/responsibility for theirs (some aren't/don't care/don't want to know - and some, like most of us, do).

The thing is I would limit it a bit initially. There's *SO MUCH* to take in.. expecting someone to get on top of the concepts like UF rates, machine alarms, watching the BP (and whatever else) could be a bit much specially if they're trying to cope with the reality of being needled, feeling sick/tired, needing treatment and so on.. you don't want to overload someone and have them feel like EVERYTHING is reliant on them.

I would probably try and take a middle ground - explain what is going on while it is going on and mention things along the way like "Well, when the machine makes this noise and flashes like it is, that's an alarm for attention.. now it doesn't mean anything bad is happening, but it's something you or the technician need to take note of. In this case it's been caused by a high arterial pressure, and we'll fix it this way. You don't really need to worry about it unless you want to...." - certainly if the patient seems keen to know more and asks - for example "So what ways can I stop this from happening?" or "What's the best way for me to sit?" or so on it would be then useful to go further.. depending on your specific clinc rules (some clinics allow patients more leeway than others in terms of monitoring their own machines, doing setups, etc... mine for example are happy for me to go over the settings and point out/query any I think are off or make adjustments and handle minor resets of alarms).

Don't patronise patients or treat them like they're idiots or children (unless they act that way!) - I like to be treated as intelligent enough to understand what is going on and to be an active part of what is going on (it's my body!!!)... Now some patients don't want to be involved and just sort of sit there and endure it, or even worse don't want to be there or know and have a bit of passive resistance to the whole thing - not much you can do about that - but definitely being treated with some kind of respect(unless you show otherwise) I think is important.

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »