I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 04:48:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Off-Topic
| |-+  Diabetes
| | |-+  took mom off insulin today
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: took mom off insulin today  (Read 24948 times)
ODAT

Nala - Mom's Cat

« on: October 03, 2008, 02:58:54 PM »

Mom has been going downhill since her first visit to the ER September 3. It seemed with each stay at the hospital she came home worse. Friday night mom's bs was 22! She was twitching violently and sweaty and crying uncontrollably. I wasn't there but my sis called my other sis who lives close to come over and help. They called my aunt who is a visiting nurse that specializes in diabetes. She said give her orange juice right away. They also gave her milk and a peanut butter sandwich. Checked again bs was 230. Mom was doing better. She has been feeling like she's going to jump out of her skin. When she went in to the hospital her complaints were dizzy, lightheaded, stomach discomfort, and dehydration. That's when they found the lesion which causes those symptoms. Throughout her stay they gave her insulin quite frequently. The next visit was because she was feeling more agitated, anxious, crying, and restless. That stay resulted in multiple nitro patches due to high blood pressure, tests that were negative, and more insulin shots. The third time she broke her wrist. They also found a uti. We didn't want to take her home. Something was wrong. They switched meds (antiD and anxiety) so we thought we'd wait for them to work and took her home. She got worse. She started twitching her shoulders and legs uncontrollably. When her bs was 22, the next day we called primary. He said to decrease her insulin - lemevir to 8 units (was 17). An hour and a half after that shot, mom convulsed really bad. I thought my sister should have taken her to the hospital, but at this point we weren't real comfortable with that option. She called my aunt who said maybe it's the insulin.

Today we went to a neurologist who ordered an mri and blood work to check her b12 and thyroid. Mom all along has been getting b12 shots. I was able to get the diabetes appointment this Monday instead of 10/15. The office actually called mom and said they would try to fit her in today but weren't able to. So we took mom to her primary because we were scared to give her the insulin. He took her off insulin. Said he wasn't familiar with side effects. I told him I had a printout with lemevir's side effects and overdose signs.  I read them off to him and they were all things mom had - as far as overdose. We think all along she has been bothered by the insulin but the last three ER visits she got so much that it really became apparent. I told my sis that I want her to be reevaluated to make sure she even is diabetic before we start giving her more stuff for it.

We also asked if mom could take Ativan to help her through until it was figured out and she felt better. She'll take it on an as-needed basis. She needs reprieve. It seems like there's a fine line that she will go over the edge. She told us today that she didn't want to die before her time. We assured her we wouldn't let that happen. I also told her that my work was very understanding when I told them I had to go to the appointments today. She said 'good, I don't want anyone to lose their job because of me' and she started crying.

I will keep you all posted on how she does. Pray that this is what is causing everything. take care

As is your sort of mind, so is your sort of search: you will find what you desire.
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2008, 05:53:07 PM »

Hope this helps.  :grouphug;
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2008, 06:01:46 PM »

Your poor mom ODAT - it's been a long few weeks with no break - I hope she can rest and things level out. Best wishes to all of you.  :cuddle;

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2008, 06:09:06 PM »

:grouphug;

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2008, 06:35:13 PM »

Wow, what a tough ride!  Hope she does better soon.

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

ODAT

Nala - Mom's Cat

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2008, 07:44:40 PM »

Thanks for the hugs it does help.

As is your sort of mind, so is your sort of search: you will find what you desire.
karen547

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2008, 07:54:44 PM »

:cuddle; I hope everything works out. I am thinking about you and your mom!
Mimi
Elite Member

For any who do not like me I use - prayer.

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2008, 08:51:46 PM »

Gee Odat, I didn't realize your Mom was on insulin.  That doesn't seem like such a good idea with the lows that she runs.  I'm with you,  I would have her tested for diabetes again.  Hope the
ativan will calm her down and she gets some peaceful rest.  Tell her I am praying for her.

Love, Mimi

Death is not extinguishing the light;
it is putting out the lamp because the dawn has come.
G-Ma
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2008, 09:25:59 PM »

I am sending up prayers for mom, you and family.
Ann

Lost vision due to retinopathy 12/2005, 30 Laser Surg 2006
ESRD diagnosed 12/2006
03/2007 Fantastic Eye Surgeon in ND got my sight back and implanted lenses in both eyes, great distance & low reading.
Gortex 4/07.  Started dialysis in ND 5/4/2007
Gortex clotted off Thanksgiving Week of 2007, was unclotted and promptly clotted off 1/2 hour later so Permacath Rt chest.
3/2008 move to NC to be close to children.
2 Step fistula, 05/08-elevated 06/08, using mid August.
Aug 5, 08, trained NxStage and Home on 9/3/2008.
Fistulagram 09/2008. In hospital 10/30/08, Bowel Obstruction.
Back to RAI-Latrobe In Center. No home hemo at this time.
GOD IS GOOD
Joe Paul
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2008, 12:30:01 AM »

Good luck, I hope they soon get your Mom figured out  :grouphug;

"The history of discovery is completed by those who don't follow rules"
Angels are with us, but don't take GOD for granted
Transplant Jan. 8, 2010
willieandwinnie
Elite Member

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2008, 05:19:20 AM »

:grouphug; ODAT

"I know there's nothing to it, but I want to know what it is there's nothing to"
pelagia
Elite Member

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2008, 06:54:54 AM »

Oh ODAT, your mom is going through so much and so are her caregivers.  It must be scary and frustrating that her condition will not stabilize, even with the various medical interventions.  I'll be holding you and you family close in my thoughts today.

As for me, I'll borrow this thought: "Having never experienced kidney disease, I had no idea how crucial kidney function is to the rest of the body." - KD
ODAT

Nala - Mom's Cat

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2008, 08:42:00 AM »

Thanks you guys - you're the best. I just talked to Deb and my mom. Deb said mom looks so much better. Last night about 9pm she had a crying spell and shaky but it only lasted four minutes. We aren't out of the woods yet. Thankfully we have her diabetes appt on Monday. Her blood sugar was 48 this morning. They will test it again in a bit. It's two hours after you eat you test again. Mom was diagnosed many years ago by a doctor who did nothing. then this doctor started her on insulin. she is type 2. I thought you started with pills. That's what my sister is doing anyway. One day at a time. love you guys!  :thx;

del
Elite Member

del and willowtreewren meet

« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2008, 06:51:00 AM »

:grouphug; Hope you get things figured out with you mom.

Don't take your organs to heaven.  Heaven knows we need them here.
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2008, 07:45:34 AM »

Just wondering how things are going since your Mom stopped taking insulin. I am type 2 also and started with pills and now I take pills and insulin.
ODAT

Nala - Mom's Cat

« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2008, 12:17:05 PM »

Just talked to mom. She is not feeling as jumpy but is tired and hungry. They drove to my other sister's house and are on their way home. Her blood sugar was 150 this morning. Sis had her eat a peanut butter sandwich before bed. I will let you know what happens at the diabetes appointment tomorrow - it's at 10am.

ODAT

Nala - Mom's Cat

« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2008, 10:15:16 AM »

Update:

Mom went to diabetes doc today. While he would not 'point fingers' he did say mom should not be on levemir due to her kidneys not filtering this long-acting insulin out fast enough. Put that together with her getting mulitple 20 unit shots at each ER stay (three) and no wonder she had convulsions.

Now she has to test her bs before meals. If 200-250, she injects low dose with pen. If 251 and above, higher pen injection. For low blood sugar she has an 'epy pen.' (I didn't go to appointment, my other two sisters did). If she has low bs, she injects med into her leg. Doc also told her to keep a tube of cake icing on hand to rub on her gums if she feels like her bs is low. Gets into the system faster.

He said her numbers look good. Sis said her blood pressure was 144/52. Said her eyes looked red like she'd been crying but hasn't been. She is very tired. Yesterday all's she did was go for a long car ride (about 2 hours there and 2 hours back) and she was exhausted. Sis let her sleep from 3:00 to 6:45 and took her four times to wake her up. After that long nap she still went to bed at 10:00 and slept all night til woken up at 8:10am.

Mom has not had any violent twitching or tremors, but has still had a few crying spells.

paris
Member for Life

« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2008, 11:06:33 AM »

I am hoping things start to improve.  Poor Mom needs to catch a break.   Keeping you both in my thoughts and prayers.   :grouphug;

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
willieandwinnie
Elite Member

« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2008, 11:37:17 AM »

ODAT  :grouphug; Please keep us posted. Sounds like this doctor might manage things better.  :cuddle;

"I know there's nothing to it, but I want to know what it is there's nothing to"
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2008, 01:39:37 PM »

Really hoping this is going to end up with things going in a better direction.    :grouphug;

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2008, 07:44:21 PM »

I think she is on the right road now, I think your Mom is just exhausted after everything she has been through.
Mimi
Elite Member

For any who do not like me I use - prayer.

« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2008, 10:17:22 PM »

So glad to hear she saw the diabetes Dr.  Maybe she will be getting better now. All these symptoms that go along with diabetes can be really scary.  I am praying that her hard time is over.

Love, Mimi

Death is not extinguishing the light;
it is putting out the lamp because the dawn has come.
ODAT

Nala - Mom's Cat

« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2008, 05:52:49 AM »

I think she is on the right road now, I think your Mom is just exhausted after everything she has been through.

I am hoping that's all it is. All she wants to do is sleep and when she's awake she is tired. Sunday, they drove to my sisters.  Mom got home and slept for 3 1/2 hours. Hard to wake up. Took sis three times. She got up, ate, meds, and to bed by 10pm. Up at 8am Monday for appointment. Got home and slept couple hours. Was supposed to come to my house for dinner. Sis called and said mom got up and wanted to go back to bed so they weren't coming over. An hour later sis calls and says mom wants to come. Mom very slow walking, but like you said Sluff, she has had a rough month. Barely slept the whole month of September and when she did it was very interrupted. She needs a cortisone in her knee and an aranesp shot on Friday.

Mom ate all her dinner. Added a bit to the conversation. We went in the living room to watch Dancing with the Stars. She feel asleep. Sis said better get her home. She had only been awake just about 2 hours. It was 8:15pm. When leaving mom had a real hard time getting down the two steps on the porch. Very shaky and weak. She started crying. Sis asked her why 'are you tired?' Mom said yes.

At least she is not feeling like she's going to jump out of her skin anymore. I saw when my mom was bad, but I never saw her at her worst and it was very scary I'm told. I was scared enough with how she was acting. So pissed that they all kept point to a psychiatrist. I should call back the EOU at the hospital and tell them ' we KNEW there was an underlying cause for her symptoms.' I remember her nurse telling her when I wheeled her out... ' no more crying' ahhhhh

Wednesday is the mri of her head for the neurologist. Thanks for being there - it helps.

okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2008, 09:56:57 AM »

I feel so bad for her, it must be a real struggle for her to keep going.
I know it's gotta be tough on you.
Take care ODAT.  :cuddle;

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2008, 08:29:28 PM »

After everything your Mom has been through over the past few weeks, I would be crying,too. She is probably exhausted and just wants to feel better.  :grouphug;

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »