I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 06, 2024, 11:23:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Spouses and Caregivers
| | |-+  Akathisia
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Akathisia  (Read 2767 times)
ODAT

Nala - Mom's Cat

« on: October 01, 2008, 11:13:43 AM »

At mom's diabetic and neurologist appointments, we are going to be sure to ask about Akathisia. I stumbled upon this in my desperate attempt to figure out what is going on. Has anyone ever heard of this?

Akathisia (or "acathisia") is an often extremely unpleasant subjective sensation of "inner" restlessness that manifests itself with an inability to sit still or remain motionless, hence the origin of its name: Greek a (without) + kathesis (sitting).

Akathisia may range in intensity from a mild sense of disquiet or anxiety (which may be easily overlooked) to a total inability to sit still with overwhelming anxiety and severe dysphoria (manifesting as an almost indescribable sense of terror and doom). In the most severe cases, dysphoria can be so severe that the patient is literally compelled to take action, leading, possibly, to suicide attempts. It is not unknown to have patients literally run out of a hospital or emergency room.

Partially due to the fact that the condition (and its attendant feeling) is difficult for the patient to describe, it is often misdiagnosed and can lead the patient to commit suicide in or outside the hospital. Furthermore, many clinical definitions of akathisia, as studied by psychiatrists and psychologists, may downplay the true psychological gravity of this symptom and simply refer to its psychological effects as "a subjective inner restlessness".

As is your sort of mind, so is your sort of search: you will find what you desire.
willieandwinnie
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2008, 11:46:42 AM »

ODAT, Believe me, sometimes you have to be the doctor. I'd be asking. Let us know what he says.  :cuddle;

"I know there's nothing to it, but I want to know what it is there's nothing to"
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2008, 01:37:33 PM »

What a great find.  Obviously I don't mean, oh great your Mom has that, but at least if that is the problem an answer might be nearer at hand.  Let us know what the doc says.   :grouphug;

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2008, 04:05:34 PM »

Is that what happens when RLS goes to extremes?  Restless leg syndrome is pretty common for dialysis patients, so it makes sense to me that some patients might have even more problems than others.

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »