I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 04, 2024, 12:26:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  My thoughts tonight
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: My thoughts tonight  (Read 6768 times)
kitkatz
Member for Life

« on: August 08, 2006, 08:49:32 PM »

I was talking to a tech today at dialysis and she says to me: You still work?  I said Yes, I do. I will not allow this bastard disease to take things from me.  Then I got to thinking.  So here goes.

I am not going to allow this disease and treatment to define my life.
I plan to live my life to the fullest
And at the end of each day
I plan to say: Well that is a day!
I plan to stomp the day into the ground with my heel and smile.
I plan to go into old age kicking and screaming
Waving my cane in the air as they put me into the old folks home.
I will not allow dialysis to box me into being a dialysis patient all the time.
It is only a way to help me get on with what I have to do.
Even though the Grim Reaper rides my shoulder every day
And sometimes I can see him more clearly than on other days
I will stand on my own two feet and live.
I plan to share my life with whomever will share it with me.
I plan to dance; laughing into heaven
Saying  I have done it! Here I am!

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2006, 08:57:38 PM »

Can you fit all that on your headstone?   ;D

You go girl!!!   8)

Hawkeye
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2006, 07:14:04 AM »

Great outlook on your life!

It's not easy being green.
Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2006, 08:34:06 AM »

I agree wholeheartedly... dialysis is only part of your life, not your entire life....

Dialysis - Feb 1991-Oct 1992
transplant - Oct 1, 1992- Apr 2001
dialysis - April 2001-May 2001
transplant - May 22, 2001- May 2004
dialysis - May 2004-present
PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
Black
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2006, 09:17:47 AM »

I was talking to a tech today at dialysis and she says to me: You still work?  I said Yes, I do. I will not allow this bastard disease to take things from me.  Then I got to thinking.  So here goes.

I am not going to allow this disease and treatment to define my life.
I plan to live my life to the fullest
And at the end of each day
I plan to say: Well that is a day!
I plan to stomp the day into the ground with my heel and smile.
I plan to go into old age kicking and screaming
Waving my cane in the air as they put me into the old folks home.
I will not allow dialysis to box me into being a dialysis patient all the time.
It is only a way to help me get on with what I have to do.
Even though the Grim Reaper rides my shoulder every day
And sometimes I can see him more clearly than on other days
I will stand on my own two feet and live.
I plan to share my life with whomever will share it with me.
I plan to dance; laughing into heaven
Saying  I have done it! Here I am!

WOW!  What a powerful, life affirming message!  That ought to be put on a poster in every dialysis clinic!!!

Lorelle

Husband Mike Diagnosed with PKD Fall of 2004
Fistula Surgery  1/06
Fistula Revision  11/06
Creatinine 6.9  1/07
Started diaysis 2/5/07 on NxStage
kevno

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2006, 02:10:13 PM »

Great thoughts kitkatz. I have just started to live my live again after over 8 months wondering what was going to happen to my leg. In so much pain with it. On so many pain killers I did not know what day it was. Now, NO PAIN KILLER! NO STICK! Plus been given the all clear for the district Nurses who dressed the wounds. Maybe all your prays on the site helped me through it all :-\ Now started to walk 1 - 2 miles a day. Will keep adding to it. About 2 months ago could not walk 20yards. After all the fights I have had with my kidney troubles, this is the one that nearly beat me. The Surgeons and Doctors can not believe how well I have done. If you remember the Surgeon was going to amputate on the 10th April But for some reason I felt it was not right to do so, so I refused the operation.

We all still have that fight to survive in us. Sometimes it is hard, sometimes painfull, But Renal Patients Never Give Up!!!!!!

PS. kitkatz, I thought you already waved a Big Stick in the air :o As for the old folks home :-X >:D
« Last Edit: August 09, 2006, 02:13:51 PM by kevno » Logged

But this little saying keeps me going!!

"RENAL PATIENTS NEVER GIVE UP!!!!!!"
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2006, 07:03:50 PM »

Great thoughts kitkatz. I have just started to live my live again after over 8 months wondering what was going to happen to my leg. In so much pain with it. On so many pain killers I did not know what day it was. Now, NO PAIN KILLER! NO STICK! Plus been given the all clear for the district Nurses who dressed the wounds. Maybe all your prays on the site helped me through it all :-\ Now started to walk 1 - 2 miles a day. Will keep adding to it. About 2 months ago could not walk 20yards. After all the fights I have had with my kidney troubles, this is the one that nearly beat me. The Surgeons and Doctors can not believe how well I have done. If you remember the Surgeon was going to amputate on the 10th April But for some reason I felt it was not right to do so, so I refused the operation.

We all still have that fight to survive in us. Sometimes it is hard, sometimes painfull, But Renal Patients Never Give Up!!!!!!

PS. kitkatz, I thought you already waved a Big Stick in the air :o As for the old folks home :-X >:D
How did you know you should deny the surgery to amputate?

FREE Donor List for all Kidney Patients!

diagnosed ESRD 1982
PD 2/90 - 4/90, 5/02 - 6/05
Transplant 4/11/90
Hemo 7/05-present (Inclinic Fres. 2008k 3x/wk MWF)
kevno

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2006, 01:26:59 PM »

I did not know! It just did not feel right to have the operation done. I suppose we all have to take a chance being an renal patient. I just took that chance, and it worked out for me. Another time it my not have worked out. Just so fed up of all the operations I have had, did not want another big operation.

But this little saying keeps me going!!

"RENAL PATIENTS NEVER GIVE UP!!!!!!"
Bear

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2006, 05:07:47 PM »

Can you fit all that on your headstone?   ;D

You go girl!!!   8)
  I always thought I'd go for the more concise  "I told you I was ill !"    ;D

waves...Bear
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2006, 07:16:25 PM »

LOL! Or the ever popular, I told them I was sick, but noone believed me!

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2006, 07:17:56 PM »

I plan not enter heaven calmly and sedately, I will screech in there torn up, ragged, and worn out, smiling, yelling "Hot damn. What a hell of a ride!"

lifenotonthelist.com

kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2006, 06:37:01 AM »

So, I am on my way to work on a Satruday this morning.  We have an inservice day today.  A cook 255 in my pocket for showing up.  I got to thinking the othe rnight after a street person came up to me and aske dfor money, when I said I had no change on me, he walked away saying something like: "Well you will get yours one day."   I wanted to grab him and tell him I have already had mine thank you very much.  Here is my answer to him next time.

Excuse me. You don't even know me.  You do NOT know the hell my life has been do you? You who stand here on a corner asking me for my well earned money.  Do you know that I have been on dialysis fo almost eight years? Do you know I have given up alot of my free time just so I can be alive?  Do you get to eat what you want?  Go put your seven eleven Big Gulp down first, then come talk to me! Are you aware that my husband is a recent amputee after an accident at work took his leg?  Do you know the three kinds of hell I have been through recently in my life.  Why don't you just take your self off somewhere else and do not judge me because I do not have any change for you.  I am just trying to make it through this life in as good a manner as I can just trying to survive it.  Do not tell ME I will get my own one day. I pay for my own everyday I am alive!

Probably too long to say to someone,. but it had to get out there!
« Last Edit: August 12, 2006, 05:13:55 PM by kitkatz » Logged

lifenotonthelist.com

MelissaJean

it's better to find peace than understanding

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2006, 10:52:49 AM »

So, I am on my way to work on a Satruday this morning.  We have an inservice day today.  A cook 255 in my pocket for showing up.  I got to thinking the othe rnight after a street person came up to me and aske dfor money, when I said I had no change on me, he walked away saying something like: "Well you will get yours one day."   I wanted to grab him and tell him I have already had mine thank you very much.  Here is my answer to him next time.

Excuse me. You don't even know me.  You do NOT know the hell my life has been do you? You who sstand here on a corner asking me for my well earned money.  Do you know that I have been on dialysis fo almost eight years? Do you know I have given up alot of my free time just so I can be alive?  Do you get to eat what you want?  Go put your seven eleven Big Gulp down first, then come talk to me! Are you aware that my husband is a recent amputee after an accident at work took his leg?  Do you know the three kinds of hell I have been through recently in my life.  Why don't you just take your self off somewhere else and do not judge me because I do not have any change for you.  I am just trying to make it through this life in as good a manner as I can just trying to survive it.  Do not tell ME I will get my own one day. I pay for my own everyday I am alive!

Probably too long to say to someone,. but it had to get out there!

Haha... great answer!!  When I am in the city and see people sitting and begging for money I always want to sit down next to them with a sign "Hardworker needing a Kidney"  Though I guess that wouldn't work considering I would need to have some kind of relationship with the person... :-\

~Melissa~

"just run with me through rows of speeding cars"

- Born with Cystic Fibrosis
- Received double lung transplant 11/9/2001
- Complications from transplant:  Diabetes, Kidney Failure
- Started dialysis 6/6/06
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2006, 02:03:53 PM »

By the way: the three personal forms of hell are:
my hell
your hell
our hell

lifenotonthelist.com

15yearstolong

« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2006, 05:41:08 PM »

I agree!!!!!!!!!!!

We dialyse to live not live to dialyse.

Dialysis is a pain but I still manage to work, I start study on a Physics paper next week to get into the Anesthetic Technician training programme. I have a partner who is very supportive so really dialysis is only a small part of life.

The only problem I find is when you hit a bump and end up in hospital then the world sometimes carries on without you which kind of sucks
Rerun
Member for Life

« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2006, 06:09:16 PM »

Is your "partner" on dialysis?  What is your partner's name.  What do you mean by "partner".....  Not that there's anything wrong with that......

15yearstolong

« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2006, 06:16:41 PM »

Is your "partner" on dialysis?  What is your partner's name.  What do you mean by "partner".....  Not that there's anything wrong with that......

Ummm!!!!

No I am the lucky Dialysis patient. Paul is my Fiancee we have been engaged for about 2 months. I just say partner cos thats what we call our other halves in little old New Zealand.  :D

Besides I don't think I could cope if he was on dialysis he whimpers at a sore stomach imagine what he would be like on dialysis  :D
vandie

« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2006, 06:57:35 PM »

LOL, Rerun.  That reminded me of a Seinfeld episode........

Life is the journey, not the destination.

« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2006, 07:08:12 PM »

;)  That's where I got it.

vandie

« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2006, 07:11:55 PM »

I love me some Seinfeld..........

Life is the journey, not the destination.

Smiling for you!

« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2006, 07:30:35 PM »

Seinfeld makes me laugh too. I saw that episode. Too funny. Sassy
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »