I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 01, 2024, 04:30:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Centers
| | |-+  Machine "blood warmer" temp?
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Machine "blood warmer" temp?  (Read 30446 times)
BigSky
Elite Member

« Reply #50 on: August 15, 2006, 09:57:02 PM »

How do I know that? They just ran a test on all of us and said something about how I can get a flow of 700.. does that sound right? But with my fistula having problems ... until I get that Fistulogram I will stick with the 400 that they run me at for now. Is that test that tested me at 700 .. is that the flow rate? So much I still have to learn

Dialysate flow rate is the flow of the dialysis solution.  It is the rate at which the solution flows in the opposite direction of the blood in the kidney.  Lower flow rate means less dialysis being done.

The test they did was to measure the Blood flow rate of your fistula.  I do not know what the desired minimum level of blood flow rate of a fistula is but will check at my unit to see what they desire.

Blood flow of the fistula---They measure the flow of the blood through the fistula itself.

Dialysate flow rate---  Is the rate at which the dialysis solution flows in the artificial kidney.

Pump Speed---   Rate at which the pump itself is going.

Blood flow rate while on the machine.  Is the rate at which the blood is being pumped out and back in during your treatment.
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #51 on: August 15, 2006, 09:59:55 PM »

How do I know that? They just ran a test on all of us and said something about how I can get a flow of 700.. does that sound right? But with my fistula having problems ... until I get that Fistulogram I will stick with the 400 that they run me at for now. Is that test that tested me at 700 .. is that the flow rate? So much I still have to learn

Dialysate flow rate is the flow of the dialysis solution.  It is the rate at which the solution flows in the opposite direction of the blood in the kidney.  Lower flow rate means less dialysis being done.

The test they did was to measure the Blood flow rate of your fistula.  I do not know what the desired minimum level of blood flow rate of a fistula is but will check at my unit to see what they desire.

Blood flow of the fistula---They measure the flow of the blood through the fistula itself.

Dialysate flow rate---  Is the rate at which the dialysis solution flows in the artificial kidney.

Blood flow rate while on the machine.  Is the rate at which the blood is being pumped out and back in during your treatment.

So does this mean if I wanted to I could bring up the number from 400 to 700??? or would that be too much and very bad??

FREE Donor List for all Kidney Patients!

diagnosed ESRD 1982
PD 2/90 - 4/90, 5/02 - 6/05
Transplant 4/11/90
Hemo 7/05-present (Inclinic Fres. 2008k 3x/wk MWF)
Panda_9

« Reply #52 on: August 15, 2006, 10:35:03 PM »

I would go with whatever flow they are doing as obviously thats whats on your dialysis prescription. Are there any other fresenius users here??  Surely theres some others who can tell this poor girl what buttons to press!! :)
BigSky
Elite Member

« Reply #53 on: August 16, 2006, 08:43:36 AM »

So does this mean if I wanted to I could bring up the number from 400 to 700??? or would that be too much and very bad??

The dialysate flow rate is set by prescription from the doctor based on your labs. 

Machines vary.  We have some machines here where the default is a dialysate flow rate of 800.  Other machines have a default rate of 400.  The nurses are suppose to set what rate the dialysate is suppose to be but they are only human and forget from time to time.

Its always best to know what your prescription is and make sure its done everytime.

IMO people should always make sure their temp of dialysate is set to their satisfaction, dialysate flow rate is set at correct level, and you are hooked up to the right bath, and if on reuse make sure its your kidney and passed inspection. ;D

I do not know how it is in Canada but in the US patients can request to see their medical records at anytime.

Hawkeye
Elite Member

« Reply #54 on: August 16, 2006, 08:55:29 AM »

How can I find out what my 2008k is set to?

On the 2008K if you are looking at the Home or main screen the Temperature that your running is the second box from the top on the right hand side.  The reading you see there is what the machine is running at, not what it is set for.  To find out what it is set for you have to press the screen on that box and it will turn a darker yellow color with a different number.  That number is what the machine is set for.  If the 2 number are more than + or - .5 from each other the machine is not calibrated properly and needs to be pulled.  For Example if it is supposed to be running 37 than anywhere from 36.5 to 37.5 is acceptable.
I would tell them you are just checking.  Also make sure that the dialysate flow rate is at the right level.   Some people dialyze at 400 and if you are at 800 and it isn't set to that you get inferior dialysis.

As far a the flow rate you are talking about I am assuming from the numbers you are giving that it is the dialysate flow rate not the blood flow rate.  I have never seen anyone run over around 450 on a blood flow rate, but 800 and above is normal for dialysate flow rate depending on what features your machines have.  You can see what the dialysate flow rate is by looking at the Home or main screen and looking at the number that is in the first box on the right hand side.  If your clinic has the autoflow feature it may say A500, A600, A700, or A800.  For autoflow you get either 1.5x the blood flow rate or 2x the blood flow rate depends on what you are perscribed for.  If no autoflow is enabled it should read 400, 500, 600, 700, or 800 depending on your perscription.  The blood flow rate however is found on the blood pump itself, and what it says it what it is.  You can find what you are supposed to be running at on your treatment sheet.  All information about you treatment is included on that sheet and it is your right to look at it if you wish.  Different companies have different layouts for their sheet so you will just have to look it over, but if your sheet says one thing and your machine says another your not getting your perscribed treatment and that can cause you problems.

EDITED: Fixed Quote tag error - Epoman, Owner/Admin
« Last Edit: August 16, 2006, 06:19:37 PM by Epoman » Logged

It's not easy being green.
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #55 on: August 16, 2006, 07:33:11 PM »

I just checked my temp today .. the machine said 37 Celcius.

If your clinic has the autoflow feature it may say A500, A600, A700, or A800.  For autoflow you get either 1.5x the blood flow rate or 2x the blood flow rate depends on what you are perscribed for.  If no autoflow is enabled it should read 400, 500, 600, 700, or 800 depending on your perscription.  The blood flow rate however is found on the blood pump itself, and what it says it what it is.  You can find what you are supposed to be running at on your treatment sheet.  All information about you treatment is included on that sheet and it is your right to look at it if you wish.  Different companies have different layouts for their sheet so you will just have to look it over, but if your sheet says one thing and your machine says another your not getting your perscribed treatment and that can cause you problems.

oh THAT is what that is?? Thanks Epoman!! Ya 700 was the dialysis flow rate, the blood flow rate is always at 350 - 400 and my fistula has gotten stronger lately because they have to run me back the "old way" .. infact I will make a new post about that because today was the first time I heard of that. Thanks for your help in helping me understand my machine :)
« Last Edit: August 16, 2006, 07:38:20 PM by angieskidney » Logged

diagnosed ESRD 1982
Transplant 4/11/90
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #56 on: August 16, 2006, 07:56:37 PM »

How about the total amount of blood processed from a single treatment ( 100+ liters in some cases. )?  That's on the 2008K as well. Just hit the KT/V in the bottom row of square buttons (far left button is HOME).  You can also have the nurse set up the machine to measure an approximate KT/V.  However, they may not have received training to do it.     :-\

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #57 on: August 16, 2006, 09:40:49 PM »

That's on the 2008K as well. Just hit the KT/V in the bottom row of square buttons (far left button is HOME).  You can also have the nurse set up the machine to measure an approximate KT/V.  However, they may not have received training to do it.     :-\

Ah okay, thanks! I am aware of those buttons :) I will look at it on Friday!

diagnosed ESRD 1982
Transplant 4/11/90
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
« previous next »