I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 01, 2024, 07:35:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Colonoscopy Related Laxative Induced Kidney Failure
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Colonoscopy Related Laxative Induced Kidney Failure  (Read 3068 times)
Black
Elite Member

« on: August 08, 2006, 05:59:36 AM »

Someone posted this to the PKD mail list.

I am amazed that they are just now realizing that a product with extremely high high sodium phosphate content can cause renal problems for many people, especially when there are so many safer products available.

I feel so bad for those people who were trying to do the right thing and got colonoscopies, and unknowingly set themselves up for imminent kidney failure.

"...Several Web sites, including those of the Food & Drug Administration and the consumer advocacy organization Public Citizen, have posted warnings about the underrecognized association between sodium phosphate-containing bowel cleansing products, used in preparation for colonoscopies, and chronic kidney failure. ..."

http://www.drugtopics.com/drugtopics/content/printContentPopup.jsp?id=359824

Lorelle

Husband Mike Diagnosed with PKD Fall of 2004
Fistula Surgery  1/06
Fistula Revision  11/06
Creatinine 6.9  1/07
Started diaysis 2/5/07 on NxStage
Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2006, 01:40:20 PM »

Wow.. now that I didn't know....  I had a colonoscopy and gastroscope about 6 months ago.. no one mentioned anything to me about high sodiuim content in that stuff.. although, it was one that I was told was given specifically to kidney patients, so maybe they knew about it...

Dialysis - Feb 1991-Oct 1992
transplant - Oct 1, 1992- Apr 2001
dialysis - April 2001-May 2001
transplant - May 22, 2001- May 2004
dialysis - May 2004-present
PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
Sara
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2006, 05:29:10 PM »

I didn't read the article because I have a rather short attention span tonight  ::) but that is SCARY!  Holy crap, everything is dangerous!

Sara, wife to Joe (he's the one on dialysis)

Hemodialysis in-center since Jan '06
Transplant list since Sept '06
Joe died July 18, 2007
livecam
Elite Member

World's Best Beach..Lanikai..Oahu, Hawaii

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2006, 07:19:37 PM »

I didn't know that was a problem.  After watching a close friend fight colon cancer this year I requested and received a colonoscopy.  Obvioiusly if these preparations can injure healthy kidneys think what they could do to marginal organs.  I just got some lab results the other day and thankfully all is well.  No more of colon prep for a long time for me!
meadowlandsnj

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2006, 03:14:53 PM »

One of my relatives got a colonoscopy and the rpbe or whatever they call it perforated her colon and put a huge hole in it which got infected and she was in bad shape for a few months.  She almost died from sepsis.  If you're getting one please go to place that has a lot of experience and that knows what they're doing.  I know if I go for another transplant I'll probably have to get one.  :-(

Facebook: DonnaMarieMenard
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »