I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 26, 2024, 09:26:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Guilt
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Guilt  (Read 8455 times)
Wayne

Martin (the snorer) & Mack (cat w/renal failure)

« on: September 23, 2008, 04:33:09 PM »

I have to admit I am sometimes guilty for what I have to put my family and friends through.  Obviously we with ESRD go through hell and back but I have to also think of my family.  In my intro, I had mentioned how I have a wonderful wife...and I still do!  :2thumbsup;  She is so supportive and she is truly the light of my life.  I have been thinking a lot lately about how different I have been the last couple of years towards her.  I don't treat her differently, it just really feels that we don't do a lot of fun things together anymore.  I am so tired I just don't want to do anything but stay at home.  She understands that when I say I am tired, that I mean it, and she doesn't push me to do things when I say I can't.  I guess what I am trying to say is that I feel guilty that I can't do adventurous things like I could several years ago.  We are still relatively young, early 30s, and I would never have thought that at this point in my life that walking a 100 yards would make me tired.  I know it is just something that we have to adapt to, but it just doesn't seem fair....but such is life.  It also frustrates me when I have college friends come visit me from out of town, and I just don't feel like doing anything.  Luckily they understand, but I think it bothers them as well because we all went through college together when I was healthy and could hang with the best of them.  I guess my hope is that when I start dialysis, or get a transplant (d is right around the corner so I am sure it will be first), that I will at least have a little more energy so I can have some kind of adventure in my life again.

Happily Married for 11 Wonderful Years!!! :-)
3/01 diagnosed with fsgs
7/07 listed
4/08 fistula surgery
10/08 pd catheter placed
12/08 started pd
2/09 started hemo
kellyt
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2008, 04:42:46 PM »

Uh, when did I change my name to Wayne?

I'm right there with you, even though we're in our early 40's.  Although...40 is the new 30.  ???       You sound JUST like me.  I feel guilty all the time because I'm too tired to do this, that and the other (especially "the other").  We're lucky to have understanding and supportive spouses.  Now...I need to go read your intro and see what else we have in common.  :)

1993 diagnosed with glomerulonephritis.
Oct 41, 2007 - Got fistula placed.
Feb 13, 2008 - Activated on "the list".
Nov 5, 2008 - Received living donor transplant from my sister-in-law, Etta.
Nov 5, 2011 - THREE YEARS POST TRANSPLANT!  :D
Wayne

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2008, 04:45:58 PM »

Great Texans think alike!!   8)  So true about "the other."  I left that out...

3/01 diagnosed with fsgs
7/07 listed
4/08 fistula surgery
10/08 pd catheter placed
12/08 started pd
2/09 started hemo
dkerr

It is what it is . . .

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2008, 05:22:45 PM »

So its a Texas thing?  Now I know why ... maybe if I moved I'd have more energy?
Wayne

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2008, 05:29:46 PM »

It probably doesn't help that it is always so hot around here either!  I can go 100 yards in the ac...only 50 out in the Texas heat!   ;D

3/01 diagnosed with fsgs
7/07 listed
4/08 fistula surgery
10/08 pd catheter placed
12/08 started pd
2/09 started hemo
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2008, 05:33:11 PM »

My husband told me recently, that I never want to go do things.  I HATE walking around the mall!  I just want to sit and watch the people go by.  Most things he suggests involve walking or is time consuming.  I don't even like going out for dinner that much anymore.  But, when our kids are around, I put on my happy face and try really hard to be the old me.  It takes a lot of effert and I am tired when they go home.  So, I feel guilty that at this point in our lives, I am holding him back and life isn't what he thought it would be.  Guilt--it is alive and well in the other 49 states, too!  :rofl;

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
kellyt
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2008, 05:50:54 PM »

If I'm being totally honest I'd have to say that my energy definitely comes and goes.  Sometimes I'll be all excited about going to the mall or something and I'll get ready and then almost as soon as I get to the mall I'm ready to leave.  This last Friday I had a friend of mine in town from Arizona.  She and her family wanted me to join them down on the Riverwalk.  I agreed.  I managed to get throught the day, but I was pooped when I got home.  Slept really good that night.

These last few days I've had pretty good energy during the day, but I am sleeping between 10-12 hrs a night!

These next few nights are going to be a real trial.  My husband has gone out of town til Friday and I have to watch the security cameras ALL NIGHT - 10p-6a.  I may be on-line trying to stay awake.  Hopefully someone will be on-line, too!  This is going to totally screw me up!!!

1993 diagnosed with glomerulonephritis.
Oct 41, 2007 - Got fistula placed.
Feb 13, 2008 - Activated on "the list".
Nov 5, 2008 - Received living donor transplant from my sister-in-law, Etta.
Nov 5, 2011 - THREE YEARS POST TRANSPLANT!  :D
twirl
Member for Life

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2008, 07:50:20 PM »

you are lucky to have an understanding partner
I feel guilty enough without anyone's help
my son is in an Aggie game Saturday at 11:30
not only is it hot, those Aggies stand up during the whole freakin game
and they rent those seat cover things and they still stand up
I can not stand for the game so all the wind is not one me
it seems to be windy in College Station
my husband is upset because I am going to my son's apartment and watch it on tv
then we all go out to eat and I get to see Bubba
right now it is just too hot
today I felt great until after I did two little errands
then I was busted
my husband does not understand
tonight I am very tired
Sunny
Elite Member

Sunny

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2008, 11:53:54 PM »

You must be living my life! (interchange spouse here _____)
I feel the exact same guilt over my husband. I never have the energy anymore to do any of the sports we used to do together. My idea of a good outing with him is to go for a drive, but he has a sports car and drives like a maniac so I usually get nauseous. Thankfully he has friends that are very involved in the sports he likes so he still gets to do them. This week-end I told him I felt sorry for him because he had a wife who never wanted to do anything and he told me he was sorry for me because I never wanted to do anything. We've been married 20 years, but somehow I don't  think he ever bargained for this. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one to feel this way.

Sunny, 49 year old female
 pre-dialysis with GoodPastures
mikey07840
Elite Member

Her royal highness Queen Ruth on her throne, RIP

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2008, 01:18:47 AM »

I've given up on guilt. I know my limitations and live with them. (I don't have to enjoy them though.) When I visit family, we do planning differently. My sister and I can go to grab lunch or dinner, but she knows that I just don't have the stamina to walk for hours shopping. When we go shopping, I make sure to have a place I can sit down when needed... a bench, the furniture department, the car we came to the store in. My friends have been supportive. When I volunteer, I do the sit at the table jobs.

06/85 Diagnosed with type 1 Diabetes
10/04 Radical Nephrectomy (Kidney Cancer or renal cell carcinoma)
02/08 Started Hemodialysis
04/08 Started Peritoneal Dialysis (CAPD)
05/08 Started CCPD (my cycler: The little box of alarms)
07/09 AV Fistula and Permacath added, PD catheter removed. PD discontinued and Hemodialysis resumed
08/09 AV Fistula redone higher up on arm, first one did not work
07/11 Mass found on remaining kidney
08/11 Radical Nephrectomy, confirmed that mass was renal cell carcinoma
12/12 Whipple, mass on pancreas confirmed as renal cell carcinoma

• Don't Knock on Death's door; Ring the bell and run away. Death hates that.

• I'm not a complete Idiot -- some parts are missing.
Jay72

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2008, 07:37:28 AM »

I honestly have to say that my wife is understanding enough that I don't feel guilty.  But I have noticed a huge improvement in energy since I have started dialysis again.  The more I get up off my ass the better, in general, I feel.  Of course I have days that I do feel worse then others, but I don't feel guilty about it.

I think those of you who have not started dialysis, once you do start and get a month or so into it you will see an improvement and so will your spouse.
Stacy Without An E

God's Action Figure

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2008, 03:24:03 PM »

Minutes before I was to be wheeled into the operation room my sister and I were lying side by side on separate gurneys waiting to go into the operating room.

I glance over and my sister is silently crying her eyes out, fearful about what was about to transpire.

The Guilt of that day will be eating away at my soul until the day I die.

Stacy Without An E

1st Kidney Transplant: May 1983
2nd Kidney Transplant: January 1996
3rd Kidney Transplant: Any day now.

The Adventures of Stacy Without An E
stacywithoutane.blogspot.com

Dialysis.  Two needles.  One machine.  No compassion.
Ken Shelmerdine
Elite Member

Life's a bitch and then you go on dialysis!

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2008, 03:34:58 PM »

Wayne I hope dialysis improves things but why when you feel so bad have your centre not put in an emergency cath to start dialysis immediately. Why are you having to waiit for dialysis? 

Ken
Jay72

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2008, 03:41:19 PM »

I think I should apoligize, I hope my post wasn't taken in the wrong contex, and for those of you who haven't read my intro, months ago.  My wife had a liver transplant and is now on the list for another transplant.  Most people don't know anything is even wrong with us, and that is how we like it.

But Wayne...once you start dialysis you will feel much better.
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2008, 04:00:39 PM »

Been there, felt the guilt.  Live with it everyday.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Wayne

« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2008, 04:43:59 PM »

I think I should apoligize, I hope my post wasn't taken in the wrong contex, and for those of you who haven't read my intro, months ago. My wife had a liver transplant and is now on the list for another transplant. Most people don't know anything is even wrong with us, and that is how we like it.

But Wayne...once you start dialysis you will feel much better.
I can't speak for everyone else, but I wasn't offended.  I have to agree with you, that except for my fistula I pretty much look the same I always did so people who don't know me have no clue that I am ill.  I also believe I act the same as far as personality.  And I hope you are right about feeling better after d...I have my neph visit next week and I believe we are going to try and finalize which way we are going to go.  I really want to try pd first and I think my neph finally agrees that we should give it a shot first.

Wayne I hope dialysis improves things but why when you feel so bad have your centre not put in an emergency cath to start dialysis immediately. Why are you having to waiit for dialysis?
I don't know if I have a good answer for that.  I overall don't really feel bad, I just have no energy.  I still produce a lot of urine, of course release a lot of protein with it.  I think since I don't "feel bad"  my doctor has wanted to hold it off as long as possible.  But we are certainly getting close now...I have started pushing it a little more than I used to.  It's my decision anyway, but I think my neph is honestly trying to look out for me.

3/01 diagnosed with fsgs
7/07 listed
4/08 fistula surgery
10/08 pd catheter placed
12/08 started pd
2/09 started hemo
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2008, 08:01:54 PM »

Jenna's urine output never really changed until after she started dialysis. Even then she was putting out a pretty normal amount, but the doctor said "it's quality, not quantity."

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
Wayne

« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2008, 08:26:46 PM »

Jenna's urine output never really changed until after she started dialysis. Even then she was putting out a pretty normal amount, but the doctor said "it's quality, not quantity."

I don't think this is the case, but it seems like I go more frequently as my GFR decreases.  I know I definetly go more during the night.  I have enough trouble sleeping without having to go to the bathroom every hour! 

3/01 diagnosed with fsgs
7/07 listed
4/08 fistula surgery
10/08 pd catheter placed
12/08 started pd
2/09 started hemo
Ken Shelmerdine
Elite Member

Life's a bitch and then you go on dialysis!

« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2008, 03:27:47 AM »

I don't think this is the case, but it seems like I go more frequently as my GFR decreases.  I know I definetly go more during the night.  I have enough trouble sleeping without having to go to the bathroom every hour! 

Wayne, me too I'm sure my output is increasing the lower my GFR goes. I have to go at least twice during the night but as Karol says it's quality not quantity.

Ken
dkerr

It is what it is . . .

« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2008, 05:02:22 AM »

What does it mean when you are outputting protein in your urine
devon

« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2008, 06:22:03 AM »

I know how you feel to some degree. 

I don't have a spouse but my son bears the brunt of my lethargy in that I can't play soccer with him anymore, can't go for walks in the evening (he's a jogger), can't stay up late to drive him home from gatherings with his friends.  He's taking on an increasing role in caring for me rather than me caring for him as I always have.

Fortunately I don't feel a lot of guilt.  More remorse than guilt because I have generally accepted this is how things are.  I just do what I can and I'm sure he appreciates that.   

-Devon
skyedogrocks

Rob showing off his pot of gold!

« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2008, 07:26:25 AM »

I'm going to speak from the other side, as a spouse.  I know Rob feels a huge amount of guilt because he is on dialysis.  He feels horrible that I am his caregiver, especially because he feels he should be the one taking care of his family.  Not vise-versa.  He hates the fact that he can't walk around a mall for very long or that he can't walk around the block without feeling winded and worn out.  He feels horrible that he can't go out and throw the football around with our son or play a quick game of catch with the baseball. 

I tell him not to feel guilty, but I can't stop him from feeling this way.  It makes me sad to watch him go through this.  I know what he was like before he got sick, he could always go go go.  As spouses, many of us understand that our loved ones can't do much.  I know that now and then I get mad that he has this disease.  I get upset that he can't do anything.  Even though I understand, it's still upsetting.  Then I see him try so hard to be "normal" that it makes ME feel guilty for feeling this way.  So, guilt is a 2 way street here.

Right now, on top of diabetes and kidney disease, Rob is dealing with torn ligaments and shattered pieces of bone in his left knee.  He will be having orthascopic surgery to fix it next week.  He hurt his knee in work a couple of weeks ago, so he has been home with me.  He decided not to lie around and rented a carpet cleaner to do our rugs this week.  This amazing man, with all his knee pain and weariness from kidney disease, cleaned our carpets for 2 days in a row.  I was upset with him for doing this, but I admire the hell out of him also.  He is stupid for doing it, but amazing for doing it.

Wayne - I hope you feel better once you start dialysis and know that your wife loves you no matter what.   :flower;

Wife to Rob who is currently doing Nx Stage Home Hemo Dialysis.

11/17/09 After 4 years on dialysis, Rob received a kidney from our George.  Kidney is working great!  YEAH!!!!
drinkboy

« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2008, 11:33:25 AM »

I hope things improve when you start dialysis.  Hopefully, you will have the energy to start doing all the things you enjoy.

My perspective is basically like a third party since my mom is on dialysis and my father is her caregiver, although the situation affects the whole family.   She does feel terrible that she has this disease,  and since she started dialysis seven years ago, she has gotten worse  physically. She rarely feels like leaving the house and feels so bad that she and my dad stay in their house all the time, except for doctor appointments and out to dinner a few times a month.  She feels like she has taken away the fun and joy from their lives, because she is now in a wheelchair and my dad basically lives to take care of her. But he happily does it and he hates to see her this way and in pain every day (from neuropathy), so he feels terrible that she has to go thru everything she does.  They were very active and used to go to their home in Florida for the winter, play golf,  go out to dinner often, etc. Now they can't do those things. That makes it worse for her, because they raised their family and retired being able to do whatever they wanted and able to enjoy their 'golden years" with no worries.  Then two years after retirement,  and they are  "imprisoned" in their home and cannot do the things they loved to do.  However, there are many people that have it worse off then they do, and they are aware of that too.  Some people are in worse shape physically, some are so young when they get this disease and have to live their whole lives with it, and I could go on and on.

As my dad says, she has it far worse than him, so how can he ever complain about having to take care of her or give up the things that they enjoyed...at least he is healthy and  able to take care of her and be with her.  So they try to enjoy each other's company, and they cherish every moment spent with their grandson and children.

That's my point I guess.....yes, the person with the disease usually feels terrible for their loved ones having to give up so much and the burden and responsibility of caring for them, especially the primary caregivers, but they need to remember the loved ones are happy to do it. And although there are many limitations and changes,  life can still be rewarding!!
st789

« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2008, 11:43:14 AM »

Yeep, here too but if people understand and have compassion cool if not :thumbdown;
annabanana

« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2008, 12:46:59 PM »

I wholeheartedly agree with drinkboy: the loved ones are happy to be caregivers. Actually, "happy" may not cut it here. There really is no word to describe how caregivers feel...except maybe "love". We love deeply, even through the most difficult times of fear, anger, loss of hope, and all the other negative feelings.

Don't feel guilty.

caregiver to Randy:
HepC and stage 4 ckd
1 kidney removed (cancer)Aug07
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »