I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 02, 2024, 11:23:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Centers
| | |-+  put that horse out to pasture
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: put that horse out to pasture  (Read 6629 times)
Mr.N

« on: September 20, 2008, 07:29:50 PM »

There's a "seasoned" nurse at my clinic whom all the techs and other nurses complain about being so slow. Yesterday, I got started 45 min. late due to her slowing down the system over the whole day. Becaue of this, I was the last patient left in the clinic, and when I had 20 min. left she tried to tell me that I had a few minutes left (because I could see she was ready to leave). I told her I knew exactly what time my blood starting running and I still had 20 min. left, and it's wasn't my fault they started me so late. (I had to wait for them, they could wait for me). When my time was almost up, she put my legs down quickly in the chair before my blood could be rinsed back. In the past, when this was done, my BP dropped quickly and I would nearly pass out. I put my legs back up in the chair while the tech returned my blood. The old bat then came over again to drop my legs and I told her, "Get away from me, I'm not done rinsing back yet" The tech laughed and said she usually slows them down all day, but wants to leave by a certain time. After that, she stayed away from me. On a side note, I call her and another nurse "The Reapers" because a few months ago, I watched another patient go into cardiac arrest and die right next to me during their shift. I had to yell and notify them the patient was arresting because they were dragging their asses at the far end of the clinic. I'm so glad I'm leaving this dive soon...
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2008, 08:12:22 PM »

That sucks. I would be so angry to be treated that way.

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
TynyWonder

Calvin

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2008, 10:11:04 PM »

Would it help if you called  their "headquarters" or reported them to the people who are ABOVE them?   That is just awful how they treated you not to mention the other guy freaking dying!!!    ::)

Diagnosed with ESRD-November 2006
I have had 2 fistuals-neither one worked
I have had 2 grafts the last one finally "took"
I had 3 different catheters from Nov. 06 - Dec. 08
Got on the transplant list - Halloween Day 2008

You can easily judge the character of others by how they treat those who they think can do nothing for them.    I BELIEVE THIS TO BE SOOOOO TRUE!
David13
Member for Life

A meow massages the heart.

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2008, 04:46:45 AM »

How horrible!  This type of behavior should definitely be reported.  Although you are (thankfully) leaving this particular DaVita clinic, you would be doing a great service for all those who remain there (for whatever reason).  It must be extremely frustrating to have to deal with this type of unprofessional behavior, and I am sorry you were treated in this way.

“The first human being who hurled an insult instead of a stone was the founder of civilization” - Sigmund Freud
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2008, 11:44:08 AM »

Report them soon before someone else dies.
bioya

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2008, 02:37:15 PM »

May I ask if you go to a chain clinic such as DaVita or FMC or do you use a private company for your dialysis? Sir, if you receive dialysis at a chain company, I urge you to contact your clinics regional director and if that does not hel you, IMMEDIATLY go to his supervisor, the regional VP. If you are at a clinic that is not a chain, I urge you sir to contact your renal network and file a complaint. This "nurse" (and I use that term lightly) should not be allowed to practice. The renal network will help you if you need it. 

As a former CD/FA I can assure you that you have rights and one of them is to not be abused by staff. Please let us know how things are going.  Good luck.
Mr.N

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2008, 02:51:53 PM »

May I ask if you go to a chain clinic such as DaVita or FMC or do you use a private company for your dialysis? Sir, if you receive dialysis at a chain company, I urge you to contact your clinics regional director and if that does not hel you, IMMEDIATLY go to his supervisor, the regional VP. If you are at a clinic that is not a chain, I urge you sir to contact your renal network and file a complaint. This "nurse" (and I use that term lightly) should not be allowed to practice. The renal network will help you if you need it. 

As a former CD/FA I can assure you that you have rights and one of them is to not be abused by staff. Please let us know how things are going.  Good luck.
Mr.N

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2008, 02:52:44 PM »

It's a DaVita clinic in central California
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2008, 02:57:27 PM »

Mr. N.  I'm glad you told the bat to back off.  You are in the best position.  If they make you late and you are the last shift you just dragggg your ass.  You may even pretend to have a sick feeling where you can't walk out the door.

You make me laugh the way you write.   :rofl; :rofl;

jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2008, 06:29:13 PM »

:Kit n Stik;

Kudos to you for telling to get away from you!

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

qwerty

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2008, 09:36:07 AM »

Keep in mind also that they must have an MD order to cut your time as it is considered a prescription. At my clinic we do not cut anyones time for any reason unless the patient request and also signs an AMA. I have only one exception to cutting times and it's only if I have someone who is arriving to the clinic extremely late by more than 2 hours. In this situation I tell them I can run them until the last patient comes off. I also document it and have a physician's order. If you are at a Davita clinic I know this is policy also to have an MD order to shorten anyone's time even for 1 treatment. I have a great system that our patient arrive 15 min prior to thier scheduled time so that they are on and running at thier appt time. So far it's working out great and we very rarely put anyone on late unless it's a machine issue. I stay on my staff to ensure they meet patient times and I also dont stay in my office all day. As a manager I hit the floor at turn over and help anytime they ask or I see its needed. My staff also work great together as a team and will get another persons assignment on if they get delayed. Laziness is no excuse!! And under no circumstances do I make anyone wait to get on because of another person being late to treatment. The late person must then wait till I get the patients on that were on time. Stick to your guns, it's your right to recieve your entire treatment.   :boxing;
G-Ma
Elite Member

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2008, 08:01:16 PM »

:yahoo; qwerty

Lost vision due to retinopathy 12/2005, 30 Laser Surg 2006
ESRD diagnosed 12/2006
03/2007 Fantastic Eye Surgeon in ND got my sight back and implanted lenses in both eyes, great distance & low reading.
Gortex 4/07.  Started dialysis in ND 5/4/2007
Gortex clotted off Thanksgiving Week of 2007, was unclotted and promptly clotted off 1/2 hour later so Permacath Rt chest.
3/2008 move to NC to be close to children.
2 Step fistula, 05/08-elevated 06/08, using mid August.
Aug 5, 08, trained NxStage and Home on 9/3/2008.
Fistulagram 09/2008. In hospital 10/30/08, Bowel Obstruction.
Back to RAI-Latrobe In Center. No home hemo at this time.
GOD IS GOOD
flip
Elite Member

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2008, 09:29:03 AM »

In my center the nurses aren't allowed to leave until their last patient has departed. If someone's ride is 30 minutes late, then the nurse has to wait too. Just a thought....

That which does not kill me only makes me stronger - Neitzsche
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »