I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 09, 2024, 10:25:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Irritable !
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Irritable !  (Read 6677 times)
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2008, 06:39:05 AM »

Only if you have the stinky farts I had last night! Phewww!

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2008, 05:42:35 PM »

My idea may not work for the dogs because it cost money to have a dog sitter or to have them in a kennel. Otherwise if you trust a neighbor who has a kid, have them play with the dogs for awhile. I do this for my neighbor when they work on their home. All the benefits of having a pet, but no worries of cost. I take hime to the dog park and let him run. Still wish we had a dog, but fixing garage door this year took that away.

Diabetes -  age 7

Neuropathy in legs age 10

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
   -glaucoma and surgery for that
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Diagnosed with ESRD June 29, 1999
1st Dialysis - July 4, 1999
Last Dialysis - December 2, 2000

Kidney and Pancreas Transplant - December 3, 2000

Cataract Surgery on good eye - June 24, 2009
Knee Surgery 2010
2011/2012 in process of getting a guide dog
Guide Dog Training begins July 2, 2012 in NY
Guide Dog by end of July 2012
Next eye surgery late 2012 or 2013 if I feel like it
Home with Guide dog - July 27, 2012
Knee Surgery #2 - Oct 15, 2012
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012
Lifes Adventures -  Priceless

No two day's are the same, are they?
devon

« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2008, 08:55:19 AM »

I agree. Dogs can be very demanding and can interrupt the most restfull sleep and they always seem to do it when you have the least energy!   If you can't send them to "grandma's" place for the day or weekend, you have to make them a part of the process or get rid of them, which I'm sure you don't want to do.

One thing that dogs do well is rest.  They sleep most of the time yet are eager to get up and at 'em at a instance's notice. They are amazing animals.  My Native American friend encouraged me to get a dog or two or three.  She told me that resting your head on a dogs chest and listening to the heartbeat is a great way to relax.  I got a dog and later another.  While I don't employ the technique of resting my head on them, I've learned from them about rest and relaxation.  That seems to be their best talent.

My smaller dog like to sleep next to my head on the pillow.  Sometimes she tends to get a little close and I wake up to tell her, "Move Ruby" which she obediently does.  But she likes to be touching me somehow and eventually we'll reach a working compromise. 

Just like the phone and door, you have to prepare them as part of the "resting event".  Make sure they go outside to potty before you lay down to rest. Perhaps feeding them beforehand is a good idea too.  They like to rest after eating.  Then all of you lay down together and "let restinging dogs lie".   When they catch on to the process, they'll enjoy it as much as you do.  If they don't disturb you and you get the rest you need witout interruption, reward them with a treat.  It's very gradual but they'll catch on to the scheme.  You have to be the alpha dog and they must do what you are doing.  They like that structure.

Good luck.
stauffenberg
Elite Member

« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2008, 05:52:34 PM »

There is actually some scientific research showing that having a dog correlates well with having lower blood pressure, which may help many dialysis patients if the effect is really cause and effect and not just a coincidence.

My minature dachshund gets in the way of my sleeping, since when she wants to cross from one side of the bed to the other during the night, she sticks her tongue in my ear knowing that that will make me sit bolt upright even from a sound sleep.  My sitting up 'raises the drawbridge' so she can walk under me to the other side.  Somehow I always know in advance that that tongue in my ear is from the dog, not from my wife.
twirl
Member for Life

« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2008, 06:04:56 PM »

:rofl;    cute story       :rofl;            have any photos
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2008, 06:15:23 PM »

:rofl; :rofl;  great.

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
Neo

Dont let dialysis stop you...

« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2008, 10:55:17 AM »

I take xanax and it works like a charm
st789

« Reply #32 on: July 09, 2008, 11:20:02 AM »

I understand.
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #33 on: July 09, 2008, 05:57:47 PM »

Stauffenberg/dog/wife----cute story Stauff.  Some days you surprise me with you soft side. :cuddle;

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
Meinuk

« Reply #34 on: July 09, 2008, 06:12:25 PM »

My friend Denise (a nurse) always swore that she knew when my BUN and creatinine were high, because I was bitchy.  I don't know what she is talking about.  I am always reasonable...    :rofl;

I have noticed that I really don't get as angry as I used to before I started Dialysis.  (and I just thought that I was finally maturing...)

Research Dialysis Units:  http://projects.propublica.org/dialysis/

52 with PKD
deceased donor transplant 11/2/08
nxstage 10/07 - 11/08;  30LS/S; 20LT/W/R  @450
temp. permcath:  inserted 5/07 - removed 7/19/07
in-center hemo:  m/w/f 1/12/07
list: 6/05
a/v fistula: 5/05
NxStage training diary post (10/07):  http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=5229.0
Newspaper article: Me dialyzing alone:  http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=7332.0
Transplant post 11/08):  http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=10893.msg187492#msg187492
Fistula removal post (7/10): http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=18735.msg324217#msg324217
Post Transplant Skin Cancer (2/14): http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=30659.msg476547#msg476547

“To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of thought.” - Henri Poincare
G-Ma
Elite Member

« Reply #35 on: July 10, 2008, 07:29:58 PM »

One thing I have noticed.  If I eat before I go to bed, then my Ambien doesn't work...funny huh?  So then if still not sleeping after two hours I take 1/2 Ambien after stomach is empty and that one works.  My Dr. okayed this...my best is just not to eat before the Ambien.
Ann

Lost vision due to retinopathy 12/2005, 30 Laser Surg 2006
ESRD diagnosed 12/2006
03/2007 Fantastic Eye Surgeon in ND got my sight back and implanted lenses in both eyes, great distance & low reading.
Gortex 4/07.  Started dialysis in ND 5/4/2007
Gortex clotted off Thanksgiving Week of 2007, was unclotted and promptly clotted off 1/2 hour later so Permacath Rt chest.
3/2008 move to NC to be close to children.
2 Step fistula, 05/08-elevated 06/08, using mid August.
Aug 5, 08, trained NxStage and Home on 9/3/2008.
Fistulagram 09/2008. In hospital 10/30/08, Bowel Obstruction.
Back to RAI-Latrobe In Center. No home hemo at this time.
GOD IS GOOD
Ken Shelmerdine
Elite Member

Life's a bitch and then you go on dialysis!

« Reply #36 on: July 14, 2008, 06:09:00 AM »

I'm sleeping much better now since I added the drug clonazopam to the sleeping tablet that I was also taking. Also the morning after I've had a good nights sleep I realise that I had just gone to bed and not really thought about whether or not I'm going to sleep properly and I've found that the more consecutive good night's sleep I get the less I think about it. Eventually I go to bed last night wondering how long my good sleep nights will last and guess what, it took about 3 hours to get to sleep. I some time wonder if there's a psychological connection.

Ken
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »