I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 20, 2024, 04:28:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Wish Me Luck
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Wish Me Luck  (Read 4787 times)
The Lady

« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2011, 06:25:41 PM »

I had the worst kind of fistula surgery...a long incision from elbow to armpit and a procedure that took 5 hrs from beginning to end...and honestly, even with the huge cut it really wasn't all that bad. They give you pain medicine and the worst of it is the first two days. Odds are yours will be a couple of small incisions and will be a breeze!

Make sure you're hemoglobin is nice and high and eat plenty of protein as both will help you heal at warp speed!
Cordelia
Elite Member

« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2011, 10:40:59 AM »

Todd, MM and TL, thanks so much for all your advice! It is so helpful! 

TL, I'm so very sorry to hear you had to be cut that far....is that a common thing to have happen?    ???

btw, am I going to have to have a urinary catheter for the duration of this surgery?    My surgeon told me it would be 1.5-2 hours long for the surgery, is the length of surgery pretty accurate from what he told me?   I never thought to ask when I was there for the consult last week.   I really don't want a catheter but I guess if I have to have it, I don't really have a choice    :P

Diagnosed with Polycystic Kidney Disease at age 19.
Renal Failure at age 38 (2010) came about 2 hrs close to dying. Central line put in an emergency.
Began dialysis on Aug 15, 2010.
Creatine @ time of dialysis: 27. I almost died.
History of High Blood Pressure
I have Neuropathy and Plantar Fasciitis in My Feet
AV Fistula created in Nov. 2011, still buzzing well!
Transplanted in April, 2013. My husband and I participated in the Living Donor paired exchange program. I nicknamed my kidney "April"
Married 18 yrs,  Mom to 3 kids to twin daughters (One that has PKD)  and a high-functioning Autistic son
CebuShan
Elite Member

« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2011, 12:17:15 PM »

You shouldn't need a catheter. I didn't. I wasn't allowed to eat or drink after midnight except a sip of water to take my meds. Good luck!

Think GOD doesn't have a sense of humor?
HE created marriage and children.
Think about it! LOL!
mcclane

« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2011, 01:09:14 PM »

Todd, MM and TL, thanks so much for all your advice! It is so helpful! 

TL, I'm so very sorry to hear you had to be cut that far....is that a common thing to have happen?    ???

btw, am I going to have to have a urinary catheter for the duration of this surgery?    My surgeon told me it would be 1.5-2 hours long for the surgery, is the length of surgery pretty accurate from what he told me?   I never thought to ask when I was there for the consult last week.   I really don't want a catheter but I guess if I have to have it, I don't really have a choice    :P

just guessing the surgeon is being on the conservative side ?  mine took about an hour, and it was only a day surgery.
ToddB0130

« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2011, 03:49:12 PM »

I believe my surgery was about 2 hours.  No catheter and no eating/drining after midnight the night before.

No day but today
Cordelia
Elite Member

« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2011, 05:14:18 AM »

Thanks, everyone, that gives me some relief!    :clap;   Whew! LOL

Mcclane, I'm wondering if he meant it would be 2 hrs depending on whether or not he had to travel further up the arm or not.......I'm really keeping my fingers and toes crossed that he can keep it to the wrist!    :thumbup;

Diagnosed with Polycystic Kidney Disease at age 19.
Renal Failure at age 38 (2010) came about 2 hrs close to dying. Central line put in an emergency.
Began dialysis on Aug 15, 2010.
Creatine @ time of dialysis: 27. I almost died.
History of High Blood Pressure
I have Neuropathy and Plantar Fasciitis in My Feet
AV Fistula created in Nov. 2011, still buzzing well!
Transplanted in April, 2013. My husband and I participated in the Living Donor paired exchange program. I nicknamed my kidney "April"
Married 18 yrs,  Mom to 3 kids to twin daughters (One that has PKD)  and a high-functioning Autistic son
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »