I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 09, 2024, 03:25:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  Kidney working overtime!??
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Kidney working overtime!??  (Read 5026 times)
Teepo18

O_O

« on: September 22, 2011, 06:19:10 AM »

Ok guys just a quick one, everything is great creatine is now 103 but my kidney is working overtime. I'm constantly going to the toilet. Docs have told me to keep drinking as much as possible. Is this normal and how long will it take to settle down?
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2011, 07:27:46 AM »

My Neph told me to drink when I'm thirsty.  Maybe start the morning out with a huge glass of water and keep water with you at all times so when you are thirsty you have immediate access.  You know it is working everytime you see the liquid gold.

:flower;

Marina

God Bless my donor family!! :)

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2011, 08:08:26 AM »

I  was  told  to  drink   2-3liters  of    of  h2o  on  a daily  basis.

If  we're  drinking  that  much  water  it's  the kidney's  job  to  remove  excess  amounts.
The  more  water  we  drink  the  lower  the  chances of having  prograf   (or  any  other drug  for that  matter)  toxicity.

If you feel you  are   peeing  way  too much,  having  urgency  or  burning  sensation, then  call your  Dr  it  could  be  an  UTI.

Take  care!  :)

Marina 

"Anything is possible, if  you  BELIEVE....."  ~~~Joel  Osteen

"Yesterday is history, Tomorrow is a mystery, Today is a gift..... That is why it is called the present"

Nov 1979 ~ Diabetes 
Apr. 2004- Nov 2010 ~ CAPD
Nov 9, 2010 ~  Received the  THE  GIFT OF LIFE at 
California Pacific  Medical  center  (CPMC)  in San  Francisco,  CA
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2011, 08:35:59 AM »

I was told 75-100 oz. a day  or more if I could get it down.   Peeing a lot during the day is a good thing.  At night, right after transplant, I would get up a couple of times.  Now, 1 year post, I still get up once a night and the daytime is 8 +.    If you don't drink enough, you may see a rise in your creatinine.      Everything else going well?  Are you healing ok?    I've been thinking about you.

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
tyefly
Elite Member

This will be me...... Next spring.... I earned it.

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2011, 10:04:18 AM »

Ok ..... I admit it.....    I kind of liked it when I didnt have to pee so much..... LOL     I am drinking about 64 oz water a day...... I guess I could drink more.....  pee more....  I do get up in the middle of the night but then I did that too when I was do dialysis at night.... still know where all the bathrooms are at all the stores.....
I am not complaining.....  it just that I dont seem to hold it like I use to.....must be a sign of the times as we get older...... life is still good.....LOL

I hope that it settles down....next spring when I am sitting in the kayak.... looking for bank access just to go pee....well....  I am thinking I am going to have to make a funnel thing or something to accommodate this frequent flow problem.....LOL

IgA Nephropathy   April 2009
CKD    May 2009
AV Fistula  June 2009
In-Center Dialysis   Sept 2009
Nxstage    Feb 2010
Extended Nxstage March 2011

Transplant Sept 2, 2011

Hello from the Oregon Coast.....

I am learning to live close to the lives of my friends without ever seeing them. No miles of any measurement can separate your soul from mine.
- John Muir

The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.
- John Muir
Teepo18

O_O

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2011, 10:41:05 AM »

Ahh well that's put my mind at rest. I'm actually just waiting for my uncle to come pick me up. Not bad eh for just 6 days in hospital :D I'm still very sore and it's very painful to walk but I'll be better once home. More sleep will help along eh. Thankgod I'm not on prednisolone wooo. So happy that was the one med I didn't want.
Deanne
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2011, 02:42:56 PM »

If it's really that constant/seems abnormal, it might be worth getting your blood sugar checked, too. Prednisone made me diabetic. One of my symptoms was that I was constantly peeing.

Deanne

1972: Diagnosed with "chronic kidney disease" (no specific diagnosis)
1994: Diagnosed with FSGS
September 2011: On transplant list with 15 - 20% function
September 2013: ~7% function. Started PD dialysis
February 11, 2014: Transplant from deceased donor. Creatinine 0.57 on 2/13/2014
coravh

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2011, 02:56:51 PM »

Part of the problem, especially at the beginning for most of us is that our bladders shrank when we were producing less urine (if any) while on dialysis. I know that I was getting up 2 and 3 times during the night to pee initially. Eventually my bladder stretched back to normal and I was able to hold it longer and not have to get up.

Cora
willowtreewren
Member for Life

My two beautifull granddaughters

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2011, 03:45:06 PM »

Another factor is that the stent may make you feel the urge to pee more often.

It does get better!  :clap;

Aleta

Wife to Carl, who has PKD.
Mother to Meagan, who has PKD.
Partner for NxStage HD August 2008 - February 2011.
Carl transplanted with cadaveric kidney, February 3, 2011. :)
Teepo18

O_O

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2011, 12:52:15 PM »

Well it seems to be calming down now. My
Bladder must be tiny because I didn't pass much before so hopefully will get better. Why do people stay on prednisone? I was only on it for 5 days an then they stopped it? I'm only on 2 other anti rejection drugs and they ate prograf and errr something else I can't remember lol myforrtic?
C904

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2011, 06:22:56 PM »

I  was  told  to  drink   2-3liters  of    of  h2o  on  a daily  basis.

If  we're  drinking  that  much  water  it's  the kidney's  job  to  remove  excess  amounts.
The  more  water  we  drink  the  lower  the  chances of having  prograf   (or  any  other drug  for that  matter)  toxicity.

If you feel you  are   peeing  way  too much,  having  urgency  or  burning  sensation, then  call your  Dr  it  could  be  an  UTI.

Take  care!  :)

Marina

The part of the post about drinking enough water to try and avoid drug toxicity should be the mantra for anyone who has a transplant.  When I was in the hospital they really stressed this over and over.  It can be a pain because the water does tend to go through you very quickly, but it is so necessary to keep that kidney as healthy as possible.
Poppylicious
Elite Member

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2011, 07:50:02 AM »

Thankgod I'm not on prednisolone wooo. So happy that was the one med I didn't want.

:2thumbsup; ... This is the one med that Blokey is really fretting about being back on after transplant so this post has given me hope that maybe (just maybe!) he won't need to be on it.  I'm so pleased you're peeing lots!  Hope you're recovering well at home. 

- wife of kidney recepient (10/2011) -
venting myself online since 2003 (personal blog)
grumbles of a dialysis wife-y (kidney blog)
sometimes i take pictures (me, on flickr)

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt.
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2011, 09:10:27 AM »

It does get easier - and at 2 years out, I usually sleep through the night. 

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »