I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 20, 2024, 12:46:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Spouses and Caregivers
| | |-+  New here...Intro and ongoing challenges
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: New here...Intro and ongoing challenges  (Read 2349 times)
LostWife

« on: December 15, 2010, 07:28:24 AM »

Hi, I am new here.  My husband went on dialysis in Sept 2008.  I was 5 months pregnant at the time. Since then, our lives have been a nonstop stressball - tons of hospital visits, me having to chose between him and our son, etc.  I just can't do it anymore, I am at the end of my rope.

He does PD and that seems to go well most of the time,  but he can't use the cycler b/c it pulled off too much fluid and made him collapse twice.  So he has to do manual bags five times a day.

Our son is now a toddler, and is in daycare, and is bringing home every bug known to man.  Because of this my husband has been in and out of the ER and had prolonged hospital stays  - he just cannot handle the germs.  We can't afford a nanny (we live in DC and can barely afford that) and I've tried everything I can to boost his immune system but he just can't shake the tiniest thing.  I have tried to boost his immune system with probiotics, anti-oxidants, etc...none of it seems to work.  Short of renting him a separate apt. during cold/flu season I am at a loss

This past thanksgiving (3 weeks ago), he got the stomach flu - I did too.  His turned into an ER visit, then 5 days later into pneumonia, and he was in the hospital for 4 days.  Now he has a raging kidney infection and is back in the hospital.  I am petrified he's going to lose his job and his health insurance.  He's on Medicare but I guess it doesn't really kick in until March (I'm clueless about that).  I am so so scared right now.  I feel like I am drowning and I just don't know how to be a new mom and a caregiver and work FT all at the same time.  We have no family in the area and I would move but we can't sell our house in this economy.  I just feel painted into a corner every time I turn around.

Anyway, I came here to hopefully get some support and hear some words of wisdom.  TIA
looneytunes
Elite Member

Wishin' I was Fishin'

« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2010, 07:58:50 AM »

Oh Lostwife, you sure have been through the wringer.  The suppressed immune system is just part of renal failure but to have to deal with that and a toddler and a full time job and DC...wow!  My only suggestion is to educate your hubby on handwashing, keep sanitzer out everywhere in your home and even get some of those wipes for him so he han keep them in his pocket.  Everytime he touches anything, he could then sanitize and hopefully lower the risk a little. 

Please be sure to intro youirself in the intro forum as there are lots of folks on here who might have some better suggestions.  Meantime, here's a cyber hug for you.   :grouphug;

"The key to being patient is having something to do in the meantime" AU
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »