I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 06, 2024, 05:28:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Diet and Recipes
| | |-+  Want to join me in exercise?
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Want to join me in exercise?  (Read 120599 times)
natnnnat
Elite Member

« Reply #450 on: August 16, 2012, 07:28:52 AM »

Great to hear you're excercising (a bit) Moosey.  So pleased as I assume (without reading about through recent posts) that maybe that means you are going okay.   Gregory walks every night, I highly recommend it.  :beer1;

Natalya – Sydney, Australia
wife of Gregory, who is the kidney patient: 
1986: kidney failure at 19 years old, cause unknown
PD for a year, in-centre haemo for 4 years
Transplant 1 lasted 21 years (Lucy: 1991 - 2012), failed due to Transplant glomerulopathy
5 weeks Haemo 2012
Transplant 2 (Maggie) installed Feb 13, 2013, returned to work June 17, 2013 average crea was 130, now is 140.
Infections in June / July, hospital 1-4 Aug for infections.

Over the years:  skin cancer; thyroidectomy, pneumonia; CMV; BK; 14 surgeries
Generally glossy and happy.

2009 - 2013 PhD research student : How people make sense of renal failure in online discussion boards
Submitted February 2013 :: Graduated Sep 2013.   http://godbold.name/experiencingdialysis/
Heartfelt thanks to IHD, KK and ADB for your generosity and support.
MomoMcSleepy

My son Roddy McSleepy at 6 months! sry pic sidewz

« Reply #451 on: August 16, 2012, 11:38:36 AM »

What a lot of responses!  Excellent idea!

I will post as well.  So far I have been a huge failure, cause I always mean to work out in the morning, than sleep until nearly the last second.  I tried  going to bed early yesterday and will try again (couldn't fall asleep, cats wee attacking me).

Great idea!

might I also suggest going to dailyfeats.com?. You earn points toward gift certificates by doing good deeds.  It's free and helps you keep track of developing good habits.

35 years old, first dx w/  chronic renal insufficiency at  28, pre-dialysis

born with persistent cloaca--have you heard of it?  Probably not, that's ok.

lots of surgeries, solitary left kidney (congenital)

chronic uti's/pyelonephritis

AV fistula May 2012
Kidney Transplant from my husband Jan. 16, 2013
Howard the Duck
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #452 on: August 16, 2012, 12:40:48 PM »

2 miles every day now for a week!  Between that and watching my diet, I'm down 6 pounds so far.   :yahoo;

My new kittens are mystified by the whole treadmill thing, though.  Murphy keeps trying to stand on it, and ends up thumping into the wall when he can't move fast enough to keep up.  Dora prefers I just hold her and walk, although Murphy enjoys this as well .  I suppose it's my fault for having always swayed back and forth while holding them like they were babies.  They just think I'm doing it up and down instead of back and forth, and they go to sleep while I'm walking.   :urcrazy;  Of course, I wake them up when I start giggling.  Laughing is good exercise, too, right?

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

Rain

« Reply #453 on: September 05, 2012, 04:48:39 AM »

How is everyone doing exercise wise??    We are starting to enter fall, and we can't get lazy, exercise is great.

I ended up jogging Monday as part of my training for my 5km in 2 weeks.  I wanted to go out again yesterday but it rained, and it's raining again today, so I will be doing some jump rope inside as cardio with some weight lifting.

1988  Diagnosed with reflux and kidney damage
2006-  Diagnosed with Renal Failure and start dialysis in centre with catheter
2007- Fistula created and in centre hemo with fistula
2012- Fistula clotted and central line inserted
May 2014- Received Kidney from deceased donor
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #454 on: September 05, 2012, 01:09:52 PM »

Still chugging along.  The weight loss is suffering from toooooo many holiday treats, but I've managed to do some form of exercise nearly every day.  The treadmill is still my choice when I'm home, but the kayaking over the weekend at the family cottage was a good substitute. 

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

MommyChick

Me & my precious Miracle !!!

« Reply #455 on: September 22, 2012, 05:40:39 PM »

I had to post here... I was very proud of myself.. Today I did a 12 mile bike ride & its been a while since I have made time to exercise, especially since I hadn't been feeling myself the last few months!
Although last week at the beach I was able to get a lot of walking in.. so that counts too!  :2thumbsup;
Good Luck All !

~ Hello All, My names Marna ~

- 1995 - 12 yrs old found out my kidneys were both failing
- 1996 - Dec. 3 I received my 1st kidney transplant at age 13, after 7/mths on the waiting list
- 2005 - In Aug. transplant failed after 9.5 years, had to have a nephrectomy due to being very ill & massive hypertension
           - End of Aug. 1st time on dialysis
- 2006 - Had my fistula placed & ready to go
- 2010 - My little Miracle was born 6/mths into the pregnancy, weighing 2.4 lbs & 13.25 in long
          - Found out my PRA is 100% & I have antibodies that CAN'T be decreased
- 2013 - Oct. 2nd  *** I finally received my kidney!!! ***
          - Dec. 3rd I had 3.5 parathyroids removed, due to them interfering w/my new kidney.
skg

« Reply #456 on: July 23, 2013, 11:57:29 PM »

This seems like a great topic -- is there any interest in reviving it? Or is there a similar thread that's going currently?

Today, I started a "Couch to 5k" program at our local community center. I haven't run further than a block in somewhere around decades. And between kidney problems and anemia, I'm probably the least fit I've ever been. But, since all the pre-transplant tests have shown my heart's fine, I decided to give it a try again. The first week was going to start out walking. I figured I'd do OK with that -- walking is the one sort of exercise I've done consistently over the last few years. And the woman leading us was quite visibly pregnant -- so I was imagining a leisurely stroll. I could do this!

However, ... I tend to walk at my own pace. Or maybe it would be better to say "meander"? These folks are *serious*. The group took off walking, but it quickly became apparent that everyone but me and one other participant had done this before. (One of them was talking about the half-marathon she was planning to run....) They were all chatting away, and moving at a *very* brisk pace. I pretty much didn't say anything, mostly because it was all I could do to keep up. They (we?) walked 2.8 miles in just over 30 minutes. Whew! That's about twice as fast as I've been going lately. I was pleasantly surprised that I managed to make it -- I knew I could walk for half an hour, but given the choice I would probably go just over a mile. Still, straggling all the way, and a bit tired and sore after, but so far as I can tell, I survived it. Now to do it again, repeatedly. Oh, joy.

cheers,
skg
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] Go Up Print 
« previous next »