I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2024, 04:53:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  lost my fistula yesterday
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: lost my fistula yesterday  (Read 6675 times)
stringbandbeth

« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2012, 06:08:31 AM »

Please don't think about getting a permacath out of choice. It is NOT a  Recommended long term access . Plus you can kiss that nice long relaxing shower goodbye. They are used when there is no way to create any other access. They can be very dangerous and the risk of infection is so much greater. Bear almost died from an infection that was lurking in the tunnels the cath is fed through.   Once again ...THE CHANCE OF INFECTION IS MUCH GREATER WITH A PERMACATH...and the treatment of  these infections is much harder.
   It will save your life and buy you quite a bit of time to get a working Fistula or Graft but you really need to be VERY cautious with them.   
Plus, unlike a PD cath, You can't get it wet at all.

caregiver for husband on home dialysis 14 yrs
jeannea
Elite Member

« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2012, 08:36:48 AM »

It's called a permacath not a permanent catheter. It's the kind they put in your chest rather than your neck. They surgically put it in so that it goes directly into your veins. Usually they only like to use them for about 6 months but technically they can stay in as long as they don't get infected. I know someone who cannot get a fistula to work so he has had a series of permacaths. The risk of infection is greater than a fistula but this person must have been very careful and avoided infection.
dharam85

« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2012, 09:24:44 AM »

hi guys
my moms vein r very thin and doctor says gettin a fistula done is imposible now my doc is sayin the only option left is permacath
my doc is sayin permacath has some cuff mades which acts like barrier to infection
plz suggest me is permacath good and wht r its pro and cons
sullidog
Elite Member

« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2012, 07:00:58 PM »

You say permcaths are cause for less infection? I'm thinking you are mistaking that for a hero catheter which is fairly new, it's a graft and a catheter that go under the skin, it's used for people who have no other access choices, however a select few surgeons have been trained to put these in, there is a site that will give you a list of surgeons in your area that put these in but I can't remember what it is.

May 13, 2009, went to urgent care with shortness of breath
May 19, 2009, went to doctor for severe nausea
May 20, 2009, admited to hospital for kidney failure
May 20, 2009, started dialysis with a groin cath
May 25, 2009, permacath was placed
august 24, 2009, was suppose to have access placement but instead was admited to hospital for low potassium
august 25, 2009, access placement
January 16, 2010 thrombectomy was done on access
Lillupie

wedding 12-10-11

« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2012, 08:18:12 PM »

oh ok. Yeah I wouldnt want t perma cath at all. I dont consider that permanat either. A fistula is more permanant.

PD for me then.

Lisa

Check out my Facebook profile for CKD "Help Lisa Spread Awareness for Kidney Disease"

It is my utmost dream and desire to reach out to other kidney patients for them to know that they are not alone in this, also to reach out to those who one day have to go on dialysis though my book i am writing!

dx with lupus nephritis 5/99'
daughter born 11/2005
stage IV CKD 11/2005-6/2007
8/2007- PD cathater inserted
9/2007- revision of PD Cathater
10/2007 started PD
YLGuy
Elite Member

« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2012, 09:26:28 PM »

I am sorry.  :(

How did it clot?
dharam85

« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2012, 10:07:09 PM »

thnks for the information
can u plz gimme some more information for hero cath
Rain

« Reply #32 on: November 26, 2012, 09:35:11 AM »

I have low blood pressure and near the end of my run my blood pressure dropped and clotted the fistula.

Anyways I decided against another access (fistula or graft) for a few months.  The doctors thinks that I will be getting a transplant soon so they don't think I need to get a long term access and risk loosing another access.

I am only 29 and a person only has so many access sites.

1988  Diagnosed with reflux and kidney damage
2006-  Diagnosed with Renal Failure and start dialysis in centre with catheter
2007- Fistula created and in centre hemo with fistula
2012- Fistula clotted and central line inserted
May 2014- Received Kidney from deceased donor
stringbandbeth

« Reply #33 on: November 28, 2012, 05:49:42 AM »

Just finished learning about the Hero Graft. Very Interesting. Seems like a combination of a graft and Cath. Nothing outside the body and cannulations done with a needle. It does sound like a HUGE improvement to the Permacath for infection controll and can be used for a long time. Bear is on D for the rest of his life. Nice to know new access options if there is ever a problem with the fistula.
  Thanks IDH once again for educating me!  :thumbup;

caregiver for husband on home dialysis 14 yrs
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »