I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 04, 2024, 04:24:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Introduction
| |-+  Introduce Yourself
| | |-+  Hello from Portland, Oregon
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Hello from Portland, Oregon  (Read 1894 times)
Babolat

« on: October 21, 2010, 04:27:33 PM »

Hello everyone.  First off let me say what a great, supportive site you guys have here! I have really learned a lot by reading your stories.   

I'm 42 and I discovered my kidney problem when I was hospitalized in 2006 during an episode of extremely high blood pressure. The ER doc said it was the highest he had ever seen -- I guess I'm lucky I didn't have a stroke, lol.  Since then, my GFR has been steadily declining, to 13% where it is now.  I'm not on dialysis yet, and (if I keep the BP under control) I still feel pretty well aside from being generally tired and cold most of the time.  Still I wonder how much longer that will last.  My wife and brother-in-law were both tested as potential living donors but they were not a match, so last month I was placed on the donor list.  This whole thing is kind of worrisome, especially being the breadwinner with 2 school-age kids, but overall I'm keeping positive.  Anyway, I'm glad I found this site.
sophiesmommy

« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2010, 05:29:20 PM »

You sound very positive! Keep up the good attitude.
thegrammalady
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2010, 06:25:51 PM »

:welcomesign;  this is a good place to land. glad you joined us.

s
......................................................................................
If you can smile when things go wrong, you have someone in mind to blame.

Lead me not into temptation, I can find it myself.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning how to dance in the rain.

Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

Meddle Not In The Affairs Of Dragons
For You Are Crunchy And Taste Good With Ketchup
vcarmody

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2010, 06:33:44 PM »

:welcomesign; This is a great site, if you have questions ask them here, everyone is always open and honest. I know they have helped me a lot to understand ESRD. 

Caregiver to husband Chris, NxStage 11-2009
galvo
Member for Life

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2010, 07:30:03 PM »

G'day Babolat and  :welcomesign;.

Galvo
Bajanne
Member for Life

Goofynina and Epoman - Gone But Not Forgotten

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2010, 08:40:41 PM »

Welcome to our community!  We are glad that you found us too.  This is just the place for information, support and encouragement.  There is a lot of help from people who have experienced and are experiencing exactly what you are going through.  I found this place just before I went on dialysis, and was so prepared when my time came.  This is much more than a website - it has become a genuine family :grouphug; and you are going to experience this.  Just keep reading and, above all, keep posting so we can know how you are doing.

Bajanne, Moderator

"To be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own ...but that which is based on faith"

I LOVE  my IHD family! :grouphug;
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2010, 10:41:00 PM »

:welcomesign;
Hello!
You don't say where you live, but if it's in the US and you have a willing donor, you can check into doing a swap. Check out www.kidneyregistry.org to see if it will help you.
Welcome - thanks for joining the family!

okarol/admin

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2010, 10:46:46 PM »

Oh, I think I know how you might be feeling.  My gfr is 15 and I am not on dialysis yet, so I share your worries and concerns.  It would be great if your bp could hold steady and so your renal function, too.  We have a new pre-dialysis forum where we all share our fears about what's gonna happen next and what will our next labs tell us; there are plenty of people who are facing the same issues as yourself.  You'll get lots of support here.

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
Jean
Member for Life

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2010, 12:19:50 AM »

We are also glad you found us. I am in the same ( well almost ) state you are in as to being pre-dialysis. Have been in stage 4 for 3 years now. Hope it stays another 20, for me, and for you.   :welcomesign; to IHD.

One day at a time, thats all I can do.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »