I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 06, 2024, 05:38:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Can you start dialysis if you don't have excess fluid?
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Can you start dialysis if you don't have excess fluid?  (Read 5914 times)
Ken Shelmerdine
Elite Member

Life's a bitch and then you go on dialysis!

« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2009, 10:06:59 AM »

Jenna was still able to urinate so she never did have excess fluid. We always had to fight to keep her dry weight close to what she actually weighed because they would try taking off fluid unnecessarily, causing her to feel really bad. Dialysis for her was started because she was sleeping all the time, couldn't keep food down and her creatinine went from 6 to 10 in 3 days.
Karol
I know exactly what you mean. Since I began haemo I am becoming neurotic about not eating too much before I go to dialysis because they automatically seem to assume that even the slightest increase in body weight is fluid retention. I have the same converstion with them every time I've gone slightly over my dry weight. I tell them that it's a normal increase in body weight and even if it is fluid I will pass it in an hour or so. Sometimes they insist on taking 300 mls because it will be replaced by washback saline but when they do that I have to get out of the chair at the end of dialysis in slow motion because I feel so light headed.
If they didn't do this so what! I get 300mls fluid excess which I would very soon void anyway. Don't they get it or something.  :Kit n Stik; I have now insisted, toxin removal only and NO UF!

Ken
paddbear0000
Elite Member

Dogs & IHDer's are always glad to see you!

« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2009, 12:07:33 PM »

My original post turned out to be useless at this point. I am definitely retaining fluids now. They took 2.6 kilos off yesterday without any problems. My wedding ring is already tight today. And I'm lucky if I'm peeing twice a day.

I HAVE DESIGNED CKD RELATED PRODUCTS FOR SALE TO BENEFIT THE NKF'S 2009 DAYTON KIDNEY WALK (I'M A TEAM CAPTAIN)! CHECK IT OUT @ www.cafepress.com/RetroDogDesigns!!

...or sponsor me at http://walk.kidney.org/goto/janetschnittger
Twitter.com/NKFKidneyWalker
www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1659267443&ref=nf 
www.caringbridge.org/visit/janetschnittger

Diagnosed type 1 diabetic at age 6, CKD (stage 3) diagnosed at 28 after hospital error a year before, started dialysis February '09. Listed for kidney/pancreas transplant at Ohio State & Univ. of Cincinnati.
2_DallasCowboys

« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2009, 01:38:04 PM »

Hi,

PBear, this mite sound dumb but perhaps you are
peeing less because of dialysis, and also because you
are drinking less

Carol, my husband pees like a horse still - and his dry
wt is constantly being adjusted.  He is a Big Guy  :-*
and I don't understand what the problem is with the
fluid thing - he urinates just as much as he did before
the damn kidney failure.

Anne
paddbear0000
Elite Member

Dogs & IHDer's are always glad to see you!

« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2009, 03:30:14 PM »

I've had decreasing urination for a while now, even before I started dialysis. And I'm definitely not drinking less. They haven't even discussed fluid restrictions with me.

I HAVE DESIGNED CKD RELATED PRODUCTS FOR SALE TO BENEFIT THE NKF'S 2009 DAYTON KIDNEY WALK (I'M A TEAM CAPTAIN)! CHECK IT OUT @ www.cafepress.com/RetroDogDesigns!!

...or sponsor me at http://walk.kidney.org/goto/janetschnittger
Twitter.com/NKFKidneyWalker
www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1659267443&ref=nf 
www.caringbridge.org/visit/janetschnittger

Diagnosed type 1 diabetic at age 6, CKD (stage 3) diagnosed at 28 after hospital error a year before, started dialysis February '09. Listed for kidney/pancreas transplant at Ohio State & Univ. of Cincinnati.
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2009, 08:49:29 PM »

lucky you! I do know some people on hemo with no fluid restrictions and OK urination, so that's really great for them. Mostly though as soon as you start the output levels fall a lot and thus leads to fluid retention.

And yes, you use the same measures for eGFR here.

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2009, 03:10:44 PM »

My urine output has dropped over the years so I have had to adjust fluid intake.  Checks and balance is all it is.  A pain the the butt is what I call it all.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »