I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 06, 2024, 07:31:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Can you start dialysis if you don't have excess fluid?
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Can you start dialysis if you don't have excess fluid?  (Read 5916 times)
paddbear0000
Elite Member

Dogs & IHDer's are always glad to see you!

« on: January 10, 2009, 08:13:02 PM »

Can you actually start dialysis if you don't have any fluid swelling? My symptoms are getting worse, but I haven't had any swelling yet. I'm not quite ready for dialysis, as I can handle the symptoms so far, except for the nausea and vomiting. The nausea is mild and not constant, and the vomiting is fairly infrequent. But if it keeps getting worse, I will want to start.

I HAVE DESIGNED CKD RELATED PRODUCTS FOR SALE TO BENEFIT THE NKF'S 2009 DAYTON KIDNEY WALK (I'M A TEAM CAPTAIN)! CHECK IT OUT @ www.cafepress.com/RetroDogDesigns!!

...or sponsor me at http://walk.kidney.org/goto/janetschnittger
Twitter.com/NKFKidneyWalker
www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1659267443&ref=nf 
www.caringbridge.org/visit/janetschnittger

Diagnosed type 1 diabetic at age 6, CKD (stage 3) diagnosed at 28 after hospital error a year before, started dialysis February '09. Listed for kidney/pancreas transplant at Ohio State & Univ. of Cincinnati.
G-Ma
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2009, 08:27:07 PM »

I didn't have the extra fluid but I had too many toxins in my blood so started D.

Lost vision due to retinopathy 12/2005, 30 Laser Surg 2006
ESRD diagnosed 12/2006
03/2007 Fantastic Eye Surgeon in ND got my sight back and implanted lenses in both eyes, great distance & low reading.
Gortex 4/07.  Started dialysis in ND 5/4/2007
Gortex clotted off Thanksgiving Week of 2007, was unclotted and promptly clotted off 1/2 hour later so Permacath Rt chest.
3/2008 move to NC to be close to children.
2 Step fistula, 05/08-elevated 06/08, using mid August.
Aug 5, 08, trained NxStage and Home on 9/3/2008.
Fistulagram 09/2008. In hospital 10/30/08, Bowel Obstruction.
Back to RAI-Latrobe In Center. No home hemo at this time.
GOD IS GOOD
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2009, 08:58:40 PM »

The UF (Ultra Filtration) is the negative pressure on the fibers that pulls fluid.  They would just not have that on or a minimal amount.  If my blood pressure gets too low they just shut off the UF and it still cleans the blood but does not pull fluid.

:waving;

paddbear0000
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2009, 09:12:13 PM »

I could actually use some BP lowering! It is very high and hard to control lately.

I HAVE DESIGNED CKD RELATED PRODUCTS FOR SALE TO BENEFIT THE NKF'S 2009 DAYTON KIDNEY WALK (I'M A TEAM CAPTAIN)! CHECK IT OUT @ www.cafepress.com/RetroDogDesigns!!

Diagnosed type 1 diabetic at age 6, CKD (stage 3) diagnosed at 28 after hospital error a year before, started dialysis February '09. Listed for kidney/pancreas transplant at Ohio State & Univ. of Cincinnati.
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2009, 09:28:42 PM »

From post nursewratchet has made in explaining things, you can go on dialysis without having fluids being pulled off as rerun has said with the UF. I'm sure nursewratchet will reply later on to give input also.

Diabetes -  age 7

Neuropathy in legs age 10

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
   -glaucoma and surgery for that
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Diagnosed with ESRD June 29, 1999
1st Dialysis - July 4, 1999
Last Dialysis - December 2, 2000

Kidney and Pancreas Transplant - December 3, 2000

Cataract Surgery on good eye - June 24, 2009
Knee Surgery 2010
2011/2012 in process of getting a guide dog
Guide Dog Training begins July 2, 2012 in NY
Guide Dog by end of July 2012
Next eye surgery late 2012 or 2013 if I feel like it
Home with Guide dog - July 27, 2012
Knee Surgery #2 - Oct 15, 2012
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012
Lifes Adventures -  Priceless

No two day's are the same, are they?
Joe Paul
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2009, 10:08:16 PM »

I started due to the build up of toxins as well. It took about a year before some swelling caught up with me.

"The history of discovery is completed by those who don't follow rules"
Angels are with us, but don't take GOD for granted
Transplant Jan. 8, 2010
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2009, 12:34:52 AM »

I didn't have that much fluid on when I started either.  It's not unusual to have kidney function that still clears fluid from your body, even if it's not doing the job of clearing toxins.  If I remember correctly, okarol said Jenna never needed fluid removed, and never had to have fluid restrictions.

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2009, 01:15:46 AM »

yep if your fluids aren't an issue you can start with no fluid restrictions (I am so envious of those people!!! LOL) and they just clean the blood without taking any off that is fine.. if your toxin levels are too high then you will need that anyway. You may find that starting dialysis will affect your rate of passing (as in slowing or eventually stopping it) which will then obviously mean fluids will start building up, but you don't need that to start dialysis.

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
paddbear0000
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2009, 03:25:44 AM »

Thanks for all the replies! I've been getting nervous that they wouldn't let me start when the time comes. Did those of you who didn't have fluid seem to have an easier time with starting dialysis than if you had had a lot of fluid build up? I know all that fluid causes a lot of problems, especially on the heart. I'm not feeling too bad yet. I have good days and bad, with the bad being tolerable with mild meds. But I'm thinking I might start earlier than later with the dialysis so it's not such a shock to my body. Is that a good idea? I don't have my fistula yet, but I'm calling my neph's office tomorrow to set up an appointment to talk with him about it. I figure that by the time it matures, I should be in a position to start. The doctor I'm meeting with next week about possible gall bladder surgery, is also a vascular surgeon who does fistulas, so I actually have a doctor all lined up! I'm that much further ahead anyway!

monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2009, 04:02:27 AM »

My neph doesn't believe in waiting to start until you're so sick that you're more like a half dead kitten than a human.  Fluid removal is only one of the things that dialysis does, creatinine, BUN and other electrolyte removal like potassium and salt are equally crucial.  I didn't pull much fluid at first because I was still peeing.  Some fluid was hiding however even though I didn't feel puffy either.  After two months of D I was off all my BP meds (all 5 of them, some at near maximum doses).  I also felt so much better.  I had to have a permacath put in because I couldn't wait till my fistula matured. 

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
paddbear0000
Elite Member

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2009, 06:46:57 AM »

It's odd though, my potassium and salt levels are fine. I guess it's because I eat very little. And the only salt I get is in processed foods, which again, I'm not eating much of. I've also stayed away from a good bit of processed foods, especially ones that are loaded with sodium, like pasta, rice and dinner mixes because of my blood pressure. I'd hate to see what my levels were if I was eating a normal diet.

RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2009, 03:33:18 PM »

It is true that I feel it is better to start dialysis when you feel relatively healthy (you all know what I mean by that) because you will be better able to handle the initial stress on your body of the changes dialysis brings. If you already are at the point where you feel lousy, throwing up all the time, sick etc it will be that much harder as you will be battling on more fronts. I think it would also ease the transition into dialysis. I'm lucky I started with a eGFR of 6, but I felt relatively OK (just tired lots) and I'm ever greatful they didn't push it further waiting for me to really start feeling/showing the more severe effects. Some people who get acute ESRD of course don't get that choice I and I so feel for those folks.

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
cris

Nanay, superwoman, super dooper, best mother

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2009, 04:31:42 PM »

Monrein touched on a very good point about the fluids hiding in some places. I have been thinking about these for sometime and have been quite edgy about Nanay's pulling off fluid. Please let me relate our experienced, during the first months of Nanay's dialysis, she was not puffy, nor have any visible swelling. The center neph said she does not have fluids at all, later she was confined due to complications on her liver, lungs and her blood became sepsis. It was only then that the nephrologist at the Kidney Institute explained to us that all these complications are brought about by fluid overload...... meaty fluids, fluids hiding in crevices, which are not visible to human eyes, lab test and these are the killer, toxic fluids. The neph further stressed that only the patient herself can really say if she has these fluid based on what she feels and extensive blood culture test, which are not normally done in centers. For Nanay, the hiding fluids got manifested only when her liver started to show soaking. No one would ever thought that she had excess fluids because she was skin and bones that time!

Fortunately, this has also something to do with knowing your true dry weight. On my earlier post, I said I was worried about Nanay constantly losing weight from 51 kilos to 41 to 33 kilos now, which is her true dry weight now. After 16 months of dialysis, it is only now that Nanay is really getting back to life, after all the things we went through. The hep C is gone, all her blood work are normal.

Be careful of hiding meaty fluids!!!

there is no greater love than this: "that a man lays down his life for his friend"
RightSide
Elite Member

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2009, 05:28:17 PM »

I didn't have excess fluid when I started dialysis--and I still don't.  I still urinate quite a bit, and I eat a very low sodium diet.  My ankles are never swollen from excess fluid.

I started dialysis to try to cleanse my body of the toxins that were building up; and to facilitate the balancing of my blood chemistry, electrolytes, pH and so forth.  And that's what I still need it for.
paddbear0000
Elite Member

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2009, 06:41:18 PM »

Richard, do you guys use a different measurement of GFR, like you do for creatinine values? If you do, do you know what the US equivalent would be of your 6?

okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2009, 09:51:17 PM »

Jenna was still able to urinate so she never did have excess fluid. We always had to fight to keep her dry weight close to what she actually weighed because they would try taking off fluid unnecessarily, causing her to feel really bad. Dialysis for her was started because she was sleeping all the time, couldn't keep food down and her creatinine went from 6 to 10 in 3 days.

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
paddbear0000
Elite Member

« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2009, 07:36:49 AM »

My creatinine has been fluctuauting in the 3's (the last bloodwork I had done was a month ago though). I feel a little weird and perhaps guilty, about thinking I need to start dialysis soon. I've had people (not on IHD tho) tell me that my creat isn't bad enough to need dialysis yet. I'm not nauseous and vomiting constantly (it comes and goes), so I've been feeling very conflicted about this my decision.

paris
Member for Life

« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2009, 10:21:14 AM »

Paddbear, you and your doctors will know when the time is right.  My numbers are similar to yours and I am not on dialysis.  I have actually been at the same numbers for a year.  Although I have more symptoms, we are working together as a team and he (my neph) tells me he will not let me get in an emergency situation.  But, I am appreciating the fact that I am not on dialysis yet and do what ever I can to prolonge the inevitable. I use to think "this is it" everyday.  Now I don't think about it much at all.   So, talk with your doctor and see what his view is.   Hope you get some answers.   

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
Lucinda

Life is great!

« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2009, 02:45:12 PM »

Well paddbear, I am the disaster waiting to happen.  I was told two years ago I should probably start dialysis and I had my graft placed and as far as I  am concerned I have had two extra years of freedom.  That said, I am absolutely fanatical now about diet and exercise.  I keep a really close eye on my blood pressure and I have found that exercise is particularly beneficial at keeping mine in check....of course the meds help as well.  My creatinine is all over the place.  One month in the 3's next month in the 7's and then back to the 5's the following month and the cycle goes on.  My neph is happy to go month to month and so am I.  I don't have many symptoms at all.  I do get he nausea but I have that controlled with medication and anemia is under control.  I go to bed early but while I am still able to exercise and go to the gym and do pretty much what I would do normally, then I will continue to postpone the inevitable.  My neph is terrific and I am sure she will not let me take too big a risk. 
lola
Elite Member

I can fly!!!

« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2009, 02:48:48 PM »

Otto started because of toxins, not fluid

BRANDY

« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2009, 07:27:17 AM »

What about the major cramps, wont you have them if not enough fluid .  And how do they know how much to pull off  /. I have MAJOR cramps in am  a couple times a week. Was told to have plenty o fluids  but on the other hand  dont drink to  much.  ugh like what does that mean  I been having cramps for several years.For years drs have listened to me complain about t them and no reply to the problem.  It worries me and makes me angry also that they dont address the problem  I have just lived with them  sometimes they may last 5 to 8 min  befor they are gone you are begging  god to just let them pass. Its that bad

Adapt and Overcome

Diabetic 1973
2000-clavical surgery
2000-rotor cuff surgery
2001- cervical surgery
2002 cervical surgery
2003 - cervical surgery
2004- lumbar surgery
2004 hysterectomy
2009-fistula placed
  Im diabetic with neuropathy, ckd ,bad back bad neck
kellyt
Elite Member

« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2009, 07:33:42 AM »

My nephrologist was the same as Monrein's.  He didn't want to start me too early, but was watching me closely because he didn't want to wait until I was sick.  Fortunately, I never got sick (nausea, loss of appetite, headaches, etc.).  I only suffered with fatigue and muscle weakness.  That's why I was able to stay off dialysis until transplant.   My phos and potassium levels ran in the high normal range to barely over normal range.  My BUN did go up in the end, but he removed some meds and that came down a little.

What is your nephrologist waiting for, Padd?  I mean, if you're feeling sick all the time, can't eat, etc.  I always wondered if I would just wake up one day and start throwing up and stuff.  I never felt nauseated.  I lost my appetite for a month or two after I got my fistula placed and I thought "this is it".  But it came back and everything went back to "normal".

1993 diagnosed with glomerulonephritis.
Oct 41, 2007 - Got fistula placed.
Feb 13, 2008 - Activated on "the list".
Nov 5, 2008 - Received living donor transplant from my sister-in-law, Etta.
Nov 5, 2011 - THREE YEARS POST TRANSPLANT!  :D
paddbear0000
Elite Member

« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2009, 08:12:07 AM »

My neph isn't really waiting now that my last labs showed I had dropped to 95 (creat was 5.5). The last time I posted, my creat was 3.2 and I think my function was 17% if I remember correctly. I already have my fistula surgery scheduled for this Friday, and depending on what my local neph says today, I may also have a catheter put in during the surgery as well. Today is the first time I will be seeing the local neph. My regular neph wants me to establish with him for when i start dialysis. The other one is an hour away and he doesn't want me to have to drive an hour 3 times a eek to dialyze.

kellyt
Elite Member

« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2009, 11:52:53 AM »

That sounds good.  I can't remember what my GFR was when I got my fistula.  I think it was at 10.  My creatining was in the 4's.  In August of 2008 it shot up to 8.something and he dropped two of my meds and it went down a little into the high 7's one week later.  He decided to wait on dialysis to see if it came down further.  It did and it went into the 6's over the next 6 weeks.  When I admitted for transplant on Nov. 4th my creatinine was 5.1 and my GFR was holding at 7, so I was VERY happy my nephrologist didn't jump the gun and put me on dialysis. Although I think I would have been on dialysis by Christmas had I not gotten the transplant.  He had been holding a bed/chair for me at the downtown clinic since March!  I think it was more so of the fact that I still felt pretty good.  He was shocked to hear to mowed our lawn like twice that summer (push mower).  He didn't think I'd have the energy, but I kept up for the most part and, again, never got "sick".

Good luck with your surgery on Friday.  Mine went smoothly and I had minimal pain.    :cuddle;

1993 diagnosed with glomerulonephritis.
Oct 41, 2007 - Got fistula placed.
Feb 13, 2008 - Activated on "the list".
Nov 5, 2008 - Received living donor transplant from my sister-in-law, Etta.
Nov 5, 2011 - THREE YEARS POST TRANSPLANT!  :D
Ken Shelmerdine
Elite Member

Life's a bitch and then you go on dialysis!

« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2009, 09:43:17 AM »

Richard, do you guys use a different measurement of GFR, like you do for creatinine values? If you do, do you know what the US equivalent would be of your 6?

Paddbear, GFR is a percentage valuation of the of toxin removal. Therefore a figure of 6 would mean 6% kidney function in the area of toxin removal.
What I find misleading is that meds refer to this figure as if it is a percentage of overall kidney fuction which it most definately is not. For example you could have 6% GFR and have full urine output and a normal haemoglobin level.

Also from my personal experience kidneys that are still producing full urine output also filter excess potassium adequately. During my build up to dialysis as  things like creatinine and urea increased my potassium levels remained within the normal range and still are even though I don't avoid poassium rich foods.

Ken
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »