I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2024, 06:37:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Do accumulated toxins make you crazy?
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Do accumulated toxins make you crazy?  (Read 12647 times)
glitter
Elite Member

« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2008, 09:49:24 AM »

Not to lecture all, but that is why you should stay on the machine your full time.  They say cutting your treatment even 15 minutes a month can cut your life expectancy by years!!  I know I know....you don't want to hear it! 

No IUNurse that is one of the reasons IHD founder Epoman created this site - so that all impacted by Dialysis could speak their minds on this issue without censure - so feel free to speak your mind
That said - I HATE DIALYSIS !  :sir ken;

yep Epoman liked strong opinions!!

But not ALL people get off early- my husband only does if there is a problem with his fistula or his machine, I have asked him to ask if he can increase his time a bit- if his Neph says so-they will do it. I hope it helps. Last month he watched the 5 hour Pride and Prejudice A&E  movie-  this month we watched it again, he could not remember watching it, and even after watching it twice- he doesn't remember the first time. ( I wondered if it was a man thing- that was such a girlie movie maybe his brain suppressed the horror of it LOL)

Jack A Adams July 2, 1957--Feb. 28, 2009
I will miss him- FOREVER

caregiver to Jack (he was on dialysis)
RCC
nephrectomy april13,2006
dialysis april 14,2006
Meinuk

« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2008, 09:56:06 AM »

They say cutting your treatment even 15 minutes a month can cut your life expectancy by years!! 

IU Nurse, please cite the data that you are quoting this from, as there has been much discussion about the QALY study I am curious how you substantiate "years".

And as far as your Kt/v guidelines, how do you arrive at your calculations?  As Kt/v is also a very controversial measurement especially when dealing with home hemo.  What formula does your clinic use when calculating Home Hemodialysis via Nxstage on a varied schedule?  You will find that this has also been discussed at length here on IHD.

Research Dialysis Units:  http://projects.propublica.org/dialysis/

52 with PKD
deceased donor transplant 11/2/08
nxstage 10/07 - 11/08;  30LS/S; 20LT/W/R  @450
temp. permcath:  inserted 5/07 - removed 7/19/07
in-center hemo:  m/w/f 1/12/07
list: 6/05
a/v fistula: 5/05
NxStage training diary post (10/07):  http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=5229.0
Newspaper article: Me dialyzing alone:  http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=7332.0
Transplant post 11/08):  http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=10893.msg187492#msg187492
Fistula removal post (7/10): http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=18735.msg324217#msg324217
Post Transplant Skin Cancer (2/14): http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=30659.msg476547#msg476547

“To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of thought.” - Henri Poincare
IUNurse

« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2008, 05:46:18 PM »

Sorry it took so long to reply.  I will pull the info at work and get back to you on the reference I made to shortening dialysis time.  As far as kt/v goes, I am sad to say that I'm not sure how they calculate it as I just draw it.  I guess you are as good as you feel.

It is not what you say to a patient that he will remember, it is how you made him feel.
frankenarm

« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2008, 10:38:50 PM »

Just to join in and throw my  :twocents; in, I know that when my kidney finally decided it was done and I got REALLY sick, three weeks no eating stuck in the hospital for one and a half weeks sick, I was going crazy. Emotional and mental mess. Since then I have settled out, but I still had wicked back anxiety. I was hoping it would get better on its own, kinda like it has always done before. But for months I wasnt sleeping, I was getting really back anxiety attacks, my social anxiety disorder would "flare" at the weirdest times, and I was really really moody with people at the oddest moments. I dont like to say I gave up, but I was tired, so I talked to my doctor and she/they put me on the low dose of paxil to help.
ANYWAY! Ive found that the toxins do have a profound affect, but that there also may be an underlying reason you feel nuts. (Im not calling you nuts btw. lol. Ive been there, I feel ya.)

"Laughter is higher than all pain..."

Chronic renal failure since birth (1986)
Grade 5 reflux for 17 years
Hemodialysis for 9 months in 2001-2002
Living-related kidney transplant 2002
Rejection of said transplant Sept. 2007
Restart Hemodialysis Feb. 2008
Current: In-Center Hemodialysis with upper left arm fistula, on some crappy machine that alarms to loud.
fluffy

Fluff!

« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2008, 01:24:30 AM »

im actually quite nuts, but i've found music to be a great outlet for that :)  did you find the paxil helped with the anxiety? did it have any nasty side effects?
dkerr

It is what it is . . .

« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2008, 08:39:22 PM »

The only thing I'm finding is that I'm having trouble finding words and am making really stupid mistakes at work that I've never made before and on a fairly consistent basis.  I hate that.

Funny you mentioned "Pride and Prejudice".  One of the girl's I work with has a son in Austin. He was on a business trip and the airplane was loaded and sat on the runway for hours. A plane full of men and they showed "Pride and Prejudice" to pass time.  He wanted them to just take a gun and shoot him.   :banghead;
flip
Elite Member

« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2008, 08:55:04 PM »

kt/v is:

K= dialyzer clearance of urea
T= time on the machine
V=volume of fluid in the body

Many experts don't consider it a good measurement of the efficiently although there is a relationship to URR. I don't think most nephrologists really understand it.

BTW, lorazepam (Ativan) is really great for anxiety. It can be habit forming but, hell, so is dialysis.

That which does not kill me only makes me stronger - Neitzsche
twirl
Member for Life

« Reply #32 on: September 12, 2008, 09:00:57 PM »

flip    you are smart
TynyWonder

Calvin

« Reply #33 on: September 12, 2008, 09:45:13 PM »

kt/v is:

K= dialyzer clearance of urea
T= time on the machine
V=volume of fluid in the body

Many experts don't consider it a good measurement of the efficiently although there is a relationship to URR. I don't think most nephrologists really understand it.

Wow!  I did not know that that is a way to look at KTV, is that true or did you make that up, flip?   Sorry if that is a stupid question............

Diagnosed with ESRD-November 2006
I have had 2 fistuals-neither one worked
I have had 2 grafts the last one finally "took"
I had 3 different catheters from Nov. 06 - Dec. 08
Got on the transplant list - Halloween Day 2008

You can easily judge the character of others by how they treat those who they think can do nothing for them.    I BELIEVE THIS TO BE SOOOOO TRUE!
flip
Elite Member

« Reply #34 on: September 12, 2008, 09:49:19 PM »

That is true but, remember, urea clearance is not necessarliy a good indicator of toxin removal.

Run8

308-850-5711

« Reply #35 on: September 12, 2008, 10:02:11 PM »

i'm on home hemo and they (Davita)want my kt/v at 2.0. If it drops below 2.0 they raise my dialysate by.5 liters.

flip
Elite Member

« Reply #36 on: September 12, 2008, 11:33:09 PM »

Many consider a kt/v of 1.2 adequate and roughly the equalivent of a URR of 63.

fluffy

Fluff!

« Reply #37 on: September 13, 2008, 05:58:03 AM »

i tried ativan and it didnt do much, but that was probably the doseage.  Clonazepam is pretty good and xanax is awesome, but it has the unfortunate side effect of being really damn addictive , messing with my moods and making me black out so i stopped that one
Wallyz

« Reply #38 on: September 13, 2008, 09:04:14 AM »

One of the other issues is that many dialysis patients show symptoms of PTSD, separate from other forms of dementia. You have had surgery, a sudden change in health and financial status, you relationships have changed, and your identity has been shifted radically.  Ithink we should be working both on CBT and EMDR for dialysis patients, in stead of or in support of the SSRI therapy that many of us are using.
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #39 on: September 13, 2008, 05:54:18 PM »

Yes, and renal social workers ought to be providing or linking patients to those therapies but it's not going to happen because of money.  It's cheaper (and more enriching to the drug companies) to go with anti-depressants.

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #40 on: September 13, 2008, 08:20:04 PM »

There's another T-shirt idea there: Dialysis is habit forming!

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
ODAT

Nala - Mom's Cat

« Reply #41 on: October 08, 2008, 11:13:50 AM »

I'm wondering if my mom could be experiencing a reaction to the toxic buildup. Having gone as far as insulin shock she may still have levemir in her system as it is long acting besides. Her numbers have not changed though.

Sounds like a great tshirt kitkatz!

As is your sort of mind, so is your sort of search: you will find what you desire.
draven

« Reply #42 on: October 09, 2008, 05:53:14 AM »

We have a Gentleman in our unit who has been on dialysis for 13 years. and he is a real character talks loudly and abruptly. he cant remember any of the nurses names and calls them darling. and having a conversation with him is so painful. his speech is slurred and he kinda nods of mid sentence.

I was wondering if it is from the toxins, or is the poor man suffering from Alzheimer's?
TynyWonder

Calvin

« Reply #43 on: October 09, 2008, 05:58:33 AM »

aaawwww how old is the poor man?

You can easily judge the character of others by how they treat those who they think can do nothing for them.    I BELIEVE THIS TO BE SOOOOO TRUE!
draven

« Reply #44 on: October 09, 2008, 09:09:32 AM »

well he said he is 63. but apparently he said that last year and the year before. :)

and when he weighs him self before dialysis they need to keep an eye on him. he cant remember what he weighed and will just give a random number for his weight. he is really a nice guy and completely harmless. all the patients and staff call him the "mayor" of unit.
TynyWonder

Calvin

« Reply #45 on: October 09, 2008, 09:28:46 AM »

aaaawwww (as they say here in the good ole' south)   :)  bless his heart   :) 

Restorer

« Reply #46 on: October 10, 2008, 07:21:37 PM »

I don't know if uremic toxins or dialysis can change your basic personality or logical reasoning, but it does tend to do all kinds of things that you wouldn't suspect. In the days before I was hospitalized for really bad uremia when I caught a bug, one of the things that happened to me was my left eye (my good one) stopped responding properly to bright light. Going from sunny outdoors to indoors, it would take 3 or 4 minutes to dilate to where it should've been - in the meantime, I had a staticky donut-shaped spot in front of my eye that kept me from seeing anything in detail that wasn't directly in front of my gaze, or in my peripheral vision. When I finally adjusted to the darker light, going outside, my eye wouldn't constrict again for a good 4 or 5 minutes, and looking at anything in direct sunlight was like an overexposed photo, with a bright corona effect.

Not to mention the terrible joint pain (phosphorus 13+) and later the shortness of breath and dizziness.

- Matt - wasabiflux.org
- Dialysis Calculators

3/2007Kidney failure diagnosed5/2010In-center hemodialysis
8/2008Peritoneal catheter placed1/2012Upper arm fistula created
9/2008Peritoneal catheter replaced3/2012Started using fistula
9/2008Began CAPD4/2012Buttonholes created
3/2009Switched to CCPD w/ Newton IQ cycler            4/2012HD catheter removed
7/2009Switched to Liberty cycler            4/2018Transplanted at UCLA!
cosmickelly

From my 09/08/07 wedding

« Reply #47 on: October 12, 2008, 07:48:24 AM »

There's another T-shirt idea there: Dialysis is habit forming!

I loved that, too!!

Have an AWESOME Sunday!!

Kelly :)

In-center Hemodialysis since 9/2004
ESRD, Diabetic Neuropathy, Peripheral Vascular Neuropathy
frankenarm

« Reply #48 on: October 13, 2008, 09:45:35 PM »

Sorry for the long reply on the paxil, I have been off my feet, literally. My hip got infected and all that. I havent really noticed and side effects from the Paxil, and I am on a low dose so that may make a difference but I dunno. I know that it has helped me sleep, Im not getting anxious all the time, Im not down about sitting in that chair for 12+ hours a week. Its rather nice. Granted, reading anything on paxil will scare the crap outta ya, but if its done correctly and safely its all good. I havent had any problems.

I would also like to mention that meds was my last option. Ive been dealing with my medical stuff my entire 22 years of living and it tends to wear on the mind, emotions, and control. I tried therapy and my social anxiety improved alot, which I am very happy for. But my random general anxiety... I needed more help, you cant fix something no one can find the cause of. (just my  :twocents; and personal experience.)

I almost hate to admit it but I love Ativan. the only problem is I cant take it! My stomach doesnt really agree with it, and when I need it the most, at dialysis, I drive myself home (usually) afterwards... generally not safe to be sedated and driving.

"Laughter is higher than all pain..."

Chronic renal failure since birth (1986)
Grade 5 reflux for 17 years
Hemodialysis for 9 months in 2001-2002
Living-related kidney transplant 2002
Rejection of said transplant Sept. 2007
Restart Hemodialysis Feb. 2008
Current: In-Center Hemodialysis with upper left arm fistula, on some crappy machine that alarms to loud.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »