I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 11:45:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Off-Topic
| |-+  Diabetes
| | |-+  Low Carb diet for diabetes
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Low Carb diet for diabetes  (Read 18328 times)
plugger

I only look like a sheep - but I ain't

« on: September 06, 2021, 02:55:30 AM »

Part 1 (see part 2 in the next post)

Besides having a daughter who was on dialysis for 6 months back in 2000 (transplant now) I have a wife who has been dealing with type 2 diabetes for 30 years and has slowly been going downhill - until recently!  She started watching this youtuber by the name of Dennis Pollock and he is someone many might consider diabetic, but he might describe himself as just carb sensitive.  He is a low carb diet advocate with his A1C and labs in the normal range.  My wife started watching him and got me watching him too.  My first thought was "con man or crazy man - or both!".  But after watching him he started to make sense - and he is backed up by some heavy hitter doctors: Dr. Richard K. Bernstein (and more on Dr. Bernstein), Dr. Bret Scher, and Dr. Jason Fung.

Lately her blood glucose has been all over the place before she found Mr. Pollock.  He helped convince us to try a low carb diet these last months.  Both of us reached our target weights after about 2 months.  Now for the last month or so we have been trying to control her blood sugars better with diet (low carb and keto recipes - upped the protein), exercise, and just a little bit of insulin (NPH) - and she dropped the glimepiride meds after taking them for 5 years (really glad, we were worried about the side effects).  It looks like she is making great progress!  However she may never get off the insulin since after 30 years it looks like she has a tired pancreas, still she is a whole lot better!  (her feet and eyes have seen major improvements!)

I will also mention it can be a bit harder being on a low carb diet at first while taking insulin - hypoglycemia can be a worry if a person isn't careful!

Besides her diet we've been implementing an exercise program for her.  She is making gains after an initial setback.  She did a youtube 30 minute kettlebell workout that was too strenuous for her and wound up shooting up her blood glucose from 118 to 207!  We throttled it back and it looks like we are finally dialing in a good program for her level of fitness.

I just thought I would share the good news and see what others thought.

Edit 11/20/2022: According to this Dr. Bernstein video at 5:00 officially my wife shouldn't have been on the glimepiride (one of the sulfonylureas) more than 2 years!  I would agree with Dr. Bernstein she probably shouldn't have been on it at all!  And would have been better off starting insulin first.  Yeah, I'm not happy right now.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edit 10/24/2021: And more gurus:

Dr. Robert Lustig:
https://profiles.ucsf.edu/robert.lustig
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-s5szfPYKY4

Dr. Sarah Hallberg:
Edit 11/03/2022: She was a Medical Director at  Virta (an organization that has been running very successful clinical trials for years -  see testimonials)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=da1vvigy5tQ (Her classic TED talk)

Dr. Jeffry Gerber: (also see info on his channel about the upcoming Low Carb Conference in the Denver area Feb. 23rd - 26th, 2023)
https://www.youtube.com/c/jeffrygerbermd

Gary Taubes: classic 2002 article in New York Times Magazine, mentions Dr. Atkins - and even a low-carb diet book from 1825! (Edit: 10/18/2022)
article:What if It's All Been a Big Fat Lie?
and Gary Taubes website

Nina Teicholz: New York Times Best-Selling author and Science Journalist
The Big Fat Surprise

Dr. Tony Hampton: Has a type 1 wife, excellent resources
Linktree resources
Interview with Dennis Pollock

Fat Fiction cast:
https://fatfiction.movie/our-story

"Fat: A Documentary 2" cast:  (edit: 10/8/2022)
full documentary - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3u8jzKkMA98

Edit 12/28/2022:  More Gurus & Stories

I will say I seem to remember hearing blurbs about the low carb diet over the years and thinking it must be a bunch of hooey!  But then my wife started diving into it and I remember thinking: "well ok, maybe it is just a short term diet to get weight down and blood glucose under control a bit better".  Then I saw the results - then we ran into Dr. Richard K. Bernstein.  He is an 87 year old Endocrinologist, low carb diet pioneer, and type 1 diabetic with one hell of a story!  He is someone who has probably outlived most of his critics and one of the few type 1 diabetics left from his generation!  Ok, maybe this low carb thing could be longer term.

I was thinking about directing some people having a hard time believing it, like we were, this way.  If some still think I'm blowing smoke, maybe it would be helpful to throw down my credentials.  I helped head up a group of people that got a bill through the Colorado State legislature in 2007, then renewed in 2012 and 2019.  I like to think I have a nose for a pile of doody.  And I'll just say I'm not impressed with the American Diabetes Association standard diet (I don't like to brag about my statehouse experience - who am I kidding, yes I do!) 
It comes in handy as an ace when my family gives me static.  As an example in a "sparring session"  :boxing; with my son he'll throw down his ace "well, I'm a doctor!" (M.D. Internal Medicine) -then I'll throw down mine "ever been to the statehouse buddy boy?")

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It is also worth noting that Tracey Brown President of the American Diabetes Association (who recently stepped down?) shared she got off insulin with a low carb diet - and took some flak for it.  The ADA does now lists a low carb diet as an option.  If my wife is any indication, it ought to be the standard!

And here she is with Dr. Richard K. Bernstein who has been a frequent critic of the ADA:
Tracey Brown and Dr. Bernstein.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edit October 26, 2021: 

Don't let people tell you, you need carbs!  Doctors Richard K. Bernstein and Sarah Hallberg will tell you there are no essential carbs. There are essential proteins and essential fats - but no essential carbs! The only reason a person would have carbs is to get the vitamins and minerals in such things as low carb veggies.

(for those who fear the fat, I would recommend these movies Fat Fiction and Fat: A Documentary 2: for those who fear the protein I recommend this  talk by Dr. Richard K. Bernstein)

That said Dr. Bernstein recommends a limit of 6 grams of carbs for breakfast, 12 grams for lunch, and 12 grams for dinner for a 140 pound person. That is much less than the ADA will tell you!

Edit November 7th, 2021:

Here is a conversation I had about  "Why Physicians don't always tell the truth"

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dr. Richard K. Bernstein's documentary Diabetes Solution comes out November 9th, 2021!!  He is an 87 year old doctor and endocrinologist, a type one diabetic (one of the few left from his generation), and low carb pioneer!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edit November 12th 2021: You can view 'Diabetes Solution' featuring Dr. Richard K. Bernstein by visiting his Facebook page and using the media links for viewing.

If you like the documentary I would suggest writing a review on Rotten Tomatoes.

Edit 11/16/2021 - 11/17/2021: Why Youtuber Dennis Pollock might be motivated about diabetes (besides being predisposed for it):  his Mother 

He is real good at finding testimonials from people.  If you are like me and are tired of trying to figure out dueling studies you might be more impressed with testimonials like I am.  Besides Dennis Pollock's channel, you can find testimonials in Dr. Bernstein's new documentary 'The Diabetes Solution' (ways to watch), the documentary Fat Fiction on Youtube, and of course in Dr. Bernstein's book.  And did I mention my wife's transformation?  I think I did.

Edit 10/7/2022: My wife's A1C has dropped from a fairly recent high of 8.3 to 5.5!!!!  No complaints about her feet or eyes recently!

« Last Edit: December 28, 2022, 12:36:06 PM by plugger » Logged

Proud member of DialysisEthics since 2000

DE responsible for:

*2000 US Senate hearings

*Verified statistics on "Dialysis Facility Compare"

*Doctors have to review charts before they can be reimbursed

*2000 and 2003 Office of Inspector General (OIG) reports on the conditions in dialysis

*2007 - Members of DialysisEthics worked for certification of hemodialysis
technicians in Colorado - bill passed, renewed in 2012 and 2019

*1999 to present - nonviolent dismissed patients returned to their
clinics or placed in other clinics or hospitals over the years

On my tombstone: He was a good kind of crazy

www.dialysisethics2.org
plugger

« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2021, 09:46:35 AM »

Part 2

(That first post was getting a little long)

Edit 11/17/2021: For those trying to find a Low Carb diet friendly doctor in their area, I would suggest checking out this website.  I found the link in Dr. Richard K. Bernstein's forum.  While I'm at it, again here is the documentary just recently released featuring him.

Edit 10/20/2022: For Type 1s and their parents I would highly recommend the group TypeOneGrit.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Edit 12/2/2021: It was noticed that there were questions about short-term blood glucose spikes on Reddit.  Dennis Pollock on Youtube did an eyeopening show about blood sugar spikes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-WYeU98uj4

----------------------------------------------------------------

Edit 12/4/2021:  My wife has been getting static for her now high LDL cholesterol from her doctor (actually a nurse called).  It was totally expected, the high cholesterol and the call.  However it wasn't mentioned her HDL is higher and her triglycerides were lower.  I'm not concerned after listening to things like Dr. Robert Lustig's Food Gate video on Youtube (see above).  She is a little spooked. 

However if anybody is going to get a heart attack, it would be me.  I had one about 12 years ago, my father died at 44 from a heart attack, my brother died at 50 from a heart attack, and I've got another brother with six stents in him.  So to reassure her I'm thinking of getting a Calcium Heart Scan:

https://www.mayoclinic.org/tests-procedures/heart-scan/about/pac-20384686 - wish me luck!

(good luck, not bad.  There have been a few people who have wished me the 2nd kind I've mentioned)

--------------------------------------------------------------

Edit 10/3/2022: I just recently had some blood work done and my hdl is now in the acceptable range (barely) and my triglycerides are down!  As for the Calcium Heart Scan I had some months back - I'm not looking so good.  But I've decided to try and control it with it a vegetarian low-carb diet (Dr. Robert Lustig, who I've mentioned, implied the heme iron in meat might be a danger for me, dairy fat is protective, and I've had a problem with gout and purines found in meat - for more info on diet see Reddit's r/vegetarianketo and  r/veganketo subreddits).  My wife is still low-carb and eating meat, but has cut back some to control her cholesterol - even though I'm not sure it is a danger for her.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2022, 07:26:53 AM by plugger » Logged

DE responsible for:

*2000 US Senate hearings

*2000 and 2003 Office of Inspector General (OIG) reports on the conditions in dialysis

www.dialysisethics2.org
cassandra
Elite Member

When all else fails run in circles, shout loudly

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2021, 09:58:03 AM »

Thanx for the update Plugger. Great to read a possitive story, and fantastic how much improvements your wife has made.

Lots of love, luck and strength to you and your fam, Cas

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left

1983 high proteinloss in urine, chemo, stroke,coma, dialysis
1984 double nephrectomy
1985 transplant from dad
1998 lost dads kidney, start PD
2003 peritineum burst, back to hemo
2012 start Nxstage home hemo
2020 start Gambro AK96

still on waitinglist, still ok I think
SooMK

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2021, 03:38:38 PM »

I love these kinds of stories. With you to encourage her and to share it with her makes so much difference. Wonderful to keep an open mind and to try something as difficult as adjusting diet. Bravo!

SooMK
Diagnosed with Uromodulin Kidney Disease (ADTKD/UMOD) 2009
Transplant from my wonderful friend, April 2014
Volunteering with Rare Kidney Disease Foundation 2022. rarekidney.org
Focused on treatment and cure for ADTKD/UMOD and MUC1 mutations.
plugger

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2021, 05:00:52 AM »

Thank you for your kind words!  I did do some modifying of the top two comments, added more gurus there for one thing.  I thought I might send some low carb doubters this way.  Who knows, maybe they will wander around here.  I don't know what dialysis is like now, but I like to think it is better than in my daughter's day!  I can't believe it has been 21 years since she has been in a clinic!  Time flies!

I'll mention I've been posting on Reddit's r/diabetes subreddit and I've been getting some push back.  I totally understand, just some months ago I wouldn't have believed me.

I hope you two and many of the people here are doing well!  I know this site and a lot of the people here helped us back in the day!
« Last Edit: November 09, 2021, 05:12:35 AM by plugger » Logged

DE responsible for:

*2000 US Senate hearings

www.dialysisethics2.org
plugger

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2022, 11:45:47 AM »

I recently commented on a YouTube video by a doctor who was promoting a Whole Foods Plant Based diet for diabetics (WFPB).  I mentioned our experience with a low-carb diet.  The doctor replied to me and mentioned the WFPB diet needs to be acclimated to and from what I'm hearing it might take 1-2 months.  Another person commented and wrote I ought to check out the book 'Mastering Diabetes' by Cyrus Khambatta PhD and Robby Barbaro MPH.

So I looked a bit into it and did find this article.  The author only experimented with the diet for about 9 days so I don't know how valid her results are, but she did have this to say at the end of the article:

"I’ve been directing people to Cyrus’ site for years whenever I hear come across someone expressing frustration that low-carb isn’t working for them or that they simply don’t want to eat that way."

"I wish the two extremes of eating could respect each other’s differences and appreciate each other’s passionate devotion to what works best for them."  (Very good advice!)

I thought I would mention this in case there is anybody out there who finds low-carb isn't for them.

-----------------------------------------------------

Edit: 09/07/2022 May have just really decided the low fat high carb WFPB diet may not be for us after listening to Dennis Pollock's take on it starting at minute 9: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVk6xfqUg6k

----------------------------------------------------

Edit: 10/4/2022 Though I don't know of a low-carb vegan guru I would trust, I do know there are a couple of subreddits for those who want to eat more low-carb, but want to get the meat out of their diet: https://www.reddit.com/r/vegetarianketo/, and https://www.reddit.com/r/veganketo/.  As Dr. Richard K. Bernstein might say, make sure you get enough protein!  Me, I'll be sticking to low-carb vegetarian for reasons I've mentioned.

---------------------------------------------------

Edit: 10/24/2022 We came across someone with a more positive take on a modified WFPB diet he did (at the end of his 90 day trial period he did add back in fish, eggs, avocados, nuts, and olive oil - but still high carb).  It sounded tempting to try, but we still worry about the spikes he mentioned.  But if somebody wants to try it, we couldn't blame them!  Type One Talks makes a convincing case for it, however in my opinion I don't see the gurus for this diet getting as far with this diet as they would like until they get the spikes under control!
Diabetic goes vegan for 180 days. This happened.
He mentions having a hard time staying on low carb - at over a year doing low carb, we aren't having a problem - but that's us!

« Last Edit: October 26, 2022, 09:46:25 AM by plugger » Logged

DE responsible for:

*2000 US Senate hearings

www.dialysisethics2.org
plugger

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2022, 06:31:20 AM »

I've mentioned some talks and documentaries I like: Dr. Bernstein's 'Diabetes Solution', Dr. Sarah Hallberg's TED talk, Dr. Robert Lustig and friends Foodgate talk, 'Fat Fiction', and 'Fat: A Documentary 2'

I did think of another classic from Australia's ABC broadcasting system on YouTube: 'Low Carb Diet: Fat or Fiction? Does it work?'

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Edit September 11, 2022:

The ABC video reminded me I like to look at athletes and their diets at times to see what seems to be working for them.  Athletic competition can be where the rubber hits the road when it comes to exercise - and sometimes possibly diet lessons!  Someone who has impressed me is the ultra-marathoner Zach Bitter.  For me, he hit the nail on the head concerning carbs when he called them 'rocket fuel'.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Edit September 18, 2022

Recently on Reddit I've been linking quite a bit to a fairly recent YouTube video by Dr. Richard K. Bernstein:   19 Facts your Doctor May Not Know.  Mostly I've pointed out his remarks about the dawn phenomenon, growth hormone, and the drug somatostatin starting at minute 21.  He also has a lot of other great info:

*Target blood sugars for diabetics and pregnant diabetics
*Long term complications can be avoided
*Why shooting long-acting insulin into the thigh can be a bad idea
*How to diagnose and treat gastroparesis (stomach can't empty itself of food in a normal fashion)
*Other things besides carbs that can affect blood sugar
*Ketones from diet and ketoacidosis are not the same!  (the later can be deadly)
*A person on a keto diet can get in trouble if they don't have enough protein ( protein along with fat are essential in a diet)
*Insulin pens have the problem of being too leaky
*Half-life of insulin
*Glycation of collagen causing things like carpal tunnel syndrome, claw hand, and ITB syndrome
« Last Edit: October 08, 2022, 10:12:22 AM by plugger » Logged

DE responsible for:

*2000 US Senate hearings

www.dialysisethics2.org
plugger

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2022, 12:46:02 PM »

I've wrote about my wife's experience with diabetes.  Lately I've been thinking I really ought to add more of my own.  I've been prediabetic but as I mentioned before, what really has done in so many males in my family is heart attacks - and as many of you might know, diabetes and heart attacks are closely linked!  My Dad died at 44 and my brother at 50 - both from heart attacks.  Another brother has six stents in him, and I had an attack 13 years ago.  I don't make hdl cholesterol very easily for one thing.

I mention it again because those of us on a low carb diet have been criticized for the fat in our diets.  I've addressed some of that already.  And as I said before, if fat was going to kill somebody it would probably be me - I'm over a year out since going low carb, still kicking.  My triglycerides are down (which I worry more about) and my hdl cholesterol is up a bit, finally into the lower end of the acceptable range!  My doctor's nurse was concerned about my LDL, but I let him know why I'm not concerned.

So I thought I would go more in-depth on why I don't worry about the fat anymore:

Q1: Regarding High Cholesterol - Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes University
at 4:00 minutes he states we should be worrying more about things like lipoprotein small a, "Stop looking at cholesterol!"

Dr. Robert Lustig and friends Foodgate YouTube video
10:30 minute mark - dairy fat is protective against heart disease and diabetes (but stay away from lactose, a carbohydrate, which is normally in milk)
12:30 minute mark - we should be worrying about triglycerides
14:15 minute mark - we should be looking at the ldl particle number
16:00 minute mark - we should be worrying about our triglycerides (cause of ldl B’s?) AND hdl
17:30 minute mark - trials show statins aren’t much help and there might be a problem with rhabdomyolysis
(edit 12/11/2022: also notable is he links heme iron in red meat to heart attacks at 7:00)

The Blood Triglyceride:HDL Ratio and LDL Particle Size: Critical Issues for Determining Risk of Coronary Heart Disease!
"So, the next time you have blood work done, calculate your Trig:HDL ratio if you do not see this value on your report."

On a KETO DIET? What about CHOLESTEROL? by YouTuber Dennis Pollock

Low Carb Conferences Podcast with Dr. David Diamond: Statins, Cholesterol and Low Carb Diets
I like this video that just recently came out.  It points out statins may have their place if someone is out of shape and has been eating unhealthy, like I might have been when I had my heart attack.  However the person being interviewed points out one side effect of statins might be contributing to dementia.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And if you dear reader want a history of how we got to where we are with obesity, diabetes, heart disease, and yes kidney failure. Besides the documentary 'Fat Fiction' I might also suggest this article.  One of the things it mentions is the epic 1950s' to the 1970s' battle between John Yudkin, a British professor of nutrition, and Ancel Keys a nutritionist at the University of Minnesota - the wrong person lost.

Some notable quotes:
"France, the country with the highest intake of saturated fat, has the lowest rate of heart disease; Ukraine, the country with the lowest intake of saturated fat, has the highest"

"Years later, the (Ancel Keys's) Seven Countries study’s lead Italian researcher, Alessandro Menotti, went back to the data, and found that the food that correlated most closely with deaths from heart disease was not saturated fat, but sugar.

"A “fad” (as low-carb has been accused of) implies something new-fangled. But low-carbohydrate, high-fat diets had been popular for well over a century before Atkins (optimal protein low-carb diet), and were, until the 1960s, a method of weight loss endorsed by mainstream science."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edit 09/27/2022: I was reminded by a reliable poster on Reddit we should probably stay away from one category of fats - seed oils.  We use olive oil, avocado, and coconut.

Edit 01/09/2023: When buying olive oil make sure it is the real thing and not something diluted with such things as sunflower oil.   This article gave some great suggestions.  Also 60 minutes did a story on olive oil and the Mafia.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edit 10/8/2022: A modern day version of Ancel Keys looks to be Walter Willett of Harvard, mentioned in the documentary Fat: A Documentary 2.

« Last Edit: January 09, 2023, 12:45:14 PM by plugger » Logged

DE responsible for:

*2000 US Senate hearings

www.dialysisethics2.org
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »