I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 01, 2024, 12:27:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Does anyone else's eyes twitch? lol
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Does anyone else's eyes twitch? lol  (Read 6013 times)
shay_pcb

« on: February 08, 2007, 03:44:59 PM »

I have been on PD for 9 months now, and the past few weeks my eyes have been twitching almost constantly. Does anyone else have this? I asked my dialysis center about it, and they said that they didn't know what it was from. I thought it had to be related to dialysis bc I never had this before dialysis.

Also, my feet act like they are going to get a charlie horse, but as soon as I stretch my toes out it goes away. It doesn't hurt like a charlie horse...It just makes my toes curl up on their own. It's kinda weird. I never had either of these happen before dialysis, so I was wondering if anyone else gets these?
« Last Edit: February 27, 2007, 02:59:53 PM by shay_pcb » Logged
Joe Paul
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2007, 03:50:06 PM »

Yeah, I get both those symptoms too. I haven't asked, but assumed it was from dialysis, as before I don't remember either those symptoms.

"The history of discovery is completed by those who don't follow rules"
Angels are with us, but don't take GOD for granted
Transplant Jan. 8, 2010
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2007, 03:51:54 PM »

I have never heard of the eyes, but my legs get the creepy crawlies which I guess are symptoms of RLS. The toxins in the body cause weird things to happen that dialysis doesn't make better.

As for charlie horses, yeah once in awhile I get them but not so bad. I used to cramp a lot at dialysis but right now the Neph has my dry weight target a little higher than my actual dry weight since they go by 1/2 kilo intervals and I am .2 under what I am set at.

FREE Donor List for all Kidney Patients!

diagnosed ESRD 1982
PD 2/90 - 4/90, 5/02 - 6/05
Transplant 4/11/90
Hemo 7/05-present (Inclinic Fres. 2008k 3x/wk MWF)
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2007, 03:55:21 PM »

My eyes dont, but my toes sometimes curl under like if i was gonna cramp.. but then i move em or somthing n it stops.

Live Donor Transplant From My Mom 12/14/1999
Perfect Match (6 of 6) Cadaver Transplant On 1/14/2007
shay_pcb

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2007, 04:01:13 PM »

My eyes dont, but my toes sometimes curl under like if i was gonna cramp.. but then i move em or somthing n it stops.
Yeah, that's exactly what I was talking about! It's like it's going to get a charlie horse, but it doesn't...It jut goes away. It happens when I go to sit in my chair or get in bed mostly...
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2007, 04:03:35 PM »

Yeah, that's exactly what I was talking about! It's like it's going to get a charlie horse, but it doesn't...It jut goes away. It happens when I go to sit in my chair or get in bed mostly...
Oh I have gotten that! I think that is a symptom of RLS. Who knows. Seems like they can't offer me a lot of info around here :(

FREE Donor List for all Kidney Patients!

diagnosed ESRD 1982
PD 2/90 - 4/90, 5/02 - 6/05
Transplant 4/11/90
Hemo 7/05-present (Inclinic Fres. 2008k 3x/wk MWF)
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2007, 04:44:56 PM »

Hmmm never thought of it being from RLS.... but im thinking maybe it is now that im off dialysis, it happened yesterday, so it isnt dialysis, at least in my case.... I had them raise my Requip now its 0.50 mg instead of 0.25mg, so I hope it helps...

Live Donor Transplant From My Mom 12/14/1999
Perfect Match (6 of 6) Cadaver Transplant On 1/14/2007
billoggblog

You Dialyse to Live....You Don't live to Dialyse!

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2007, 06:10:15 AM »

I have been on PD for 9 months now, and the past few weeks my eyes have been twitching almost constantly. Does anyone else have this? I asked my dialysis center about it, and they said that they didn't know what it was from. I thought it had to be related to dialysis bc I never had this before dialysis.

I also used to suffer from Twitchy eyes, ::)  but never associated it with dialysis?
When I was on Hemo. I would always take a book in with me, I put down the twitching to my reading glasses not being strong enough.
I'm on APD now, I still read, but no twitching, you may have something there ???

Yesterday is History..........Tomorrow is Mystery..........
Today is a Gift...That's why they call it Present.
shay_pcb

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2007, 07:33:09 PM »

Yeah, my eyes still twitch ALL the time; it gets annoying...lol My feet haven't been doing that weird crampy-thing lately though, so that's good!! lol
brenda

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2007, 09:56:57 PM »

My toes used to do that a lot (cramp & curl) but i find if I heat a saline bag in the microwave for about 3 minutes and put it at the end of my bed warming up my toes helps. Heated saline bags are good for a lot of different aches and pains.

Life is what happens while your making other plans.
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2007, 05:37:51 AM »

Also, my feet act like they are going to get a charlie horse, but as soon as I stretch my toes out it goes away. It doesn't hurt like a charlie horse...It just makes my toes curl up on their own. It's kinda weird. I never had either of these happen before dialysis, so I was wondering if anyone else gets these?

Shay, I realize this topic has been here since Feb 8th but, Please change your text size and color. Here is the link to the rules regarding the use of colored text and font size:
  http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=540.msg3742#msg3742

"Please refrain from making your posts in a different colors or using a lot of colors in your posts. Just stick with the default size, color, and font. You may use colors sparingly to add emphasis to certain words, just keep it simple or you will be asked to change it. You are allowed to use bold, italic, etc, etc. however do not get carried away. This rule does not apply to the admin team."

Sluff, Moderator
« Last Edit: February 27, 2007, 06:25:34 AM by sluff » Logged
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2007, 06:10:35 AM »

I will get an eye twitch occassionally. Probably from stress and overwork.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
livecam
Elite Member

World's Best Beach..Lanikai..Oahu, Hawaii

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2007, 12:59:51 PM »

Every 6 or 8 months one eye might twitch for 10 or 15 minutes.  This has been going on for years.  It is not a cause for concern because it is so brief and always goes away.  Nothing really seems to trigger it because it can happen anytime or anywhere.  I don't really give it much thought.
shay_pcb

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2007, 03:18:06 PM »

Shay, I realize this topic has been here since Feb 8th but, Please change your text size and color. Here is the link to the rules regarding the use of colored text and font size:
  http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=540.msg3742#msg3742

"Please refrain from making your posts in a different colors or using a lot of colors in your posts. Just stick with the default size, color, and font. You may use colors sparingly to add emphasis to certain words, just keep it simple or you will be asked to change it. You are allowed to use bold, italic, etc, etc. however do not get carried away. This rule does not apply to the admin team."

Sluff, Moderator
I know about the rule, but it was after I had already posted that. I changed it anyway, but I figured rules were from the time they were made on, not previous posts too...

Livecam, I don't really give it much thought either, and I don't think it's anything major, I was just wondering if other dialysis patients got it bc it only started after I started dialysis! lol Thanks for your input though!! :)
kimcanada
Elite Member

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2007, 05:05:54 AM »

My eye twitches all the time, drives me nuts. I have stopped drinking coffee to try to stop the twitch.  Also my shoulder now twitches also.

Kim

http://www.kimhoben.com
MyssAnne
Elite Member

« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2007, 10:48:15 AM »

My right eye twitches, and now that you bring it up, I started noticing it only twitches when I'm hooked to the cycler at night.
Coincidence? Perhaps. But it happens almost every night, so that's an awfully big coincidence.
MattyBoy100

What's dialysis?

« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2007, 08:14:12 AM »

What does Charlie Horse mean???

If my toes start to curl, it is usually the prelude to long and agonizing cramp in my feet, shins and legs which is not very nice and can continue well into the night after dialysis.

I used to get a nervous tic while on dialysis when I first started nearly a year ago.  It doesn't happen to me anymore now but my body does feel kind of wierd after dialysis.  I get hot and cold all over but usually I get too hot.  Funnily enough, I am fine after a good night's sleep.  Dialysis does wierd things to you.

SCOTLAND NO.1
goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2007, 05:21:11 PM »

You know,  when i see a man on a motorcycle my eye starts twitching,  hubby thinks i am winking at him, but naaaaah, i like the twitching theory better ;)

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2007, 10:57:16 AM »

What does Charlie Horse mean???

The term Charley Horse is commonly used to describe leg/foot cramping and is also known as a "Billy Mule". "This out-of-the-blue leg cramp is as intense as a kick from a palomino. "You'll be lying in bed or even asleep when you get this terrible knot-usually in the calf but sometimes in the thigh or the arch of your foot," says Steven Subotnick, D.P.M., a sports podiatrist. This type of out of the blue Charley Horse can often be caused by mineral deficiencies, or an electrolyte imbalance.

from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlie_horse

More info, although not too helpful for dialysis patients!

There are a number of causes for muscle cramping: Over or under use of muscles, not enough warm-up before an activity, or lack of fluids, salt or other minerals in the diet. Minerals like potassium (bananas, dried apricots, dried peaches) and magnesium that come from fruit and vegetables are vital for healthy muscles, but these minerals are lost fairly quickly during exercise. Make sure you are getting enough calcium in your diet as well. This is easily accomplished with dairy products. Hydration can help ease muscle cramps, that is, keeping well hydrated vs. becoming dehydrated. Therefore, you may want to try drinking more water. When you are preparing to exercise, make sure you are warming up for 5-10 minutes and then stretching the muscles (3-5 repetitions and holding each stretch for 10-30 seconds, do not bounce). Repeat the stretches after your exercise routine also. If you experience a Charley horse in the middle of the night, try this: Straighten your leg and point your foot and toes upward. This should relieve your leg cramp. However, since this is happening very frequently, a visit to your personal physician may be warranted.

from http://www.netwellness.org/question.cfm/20633.htm
« Last Edit: June 21, 2007, 11:00:47 AM by okarol » Logged

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »