I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 29, 2024, 10:18:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Treadmill
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Treadmill  (Read 4821 times)
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« on: December 06, 2006, 06:40:56 PM »

I wasn't sure if this belonged in this board or else where, hope I got it right.

We bought a treadmill yesterday and I want to start using it tomorrow. I know when you first start exercising you want to start out slow and increase little by little each session. So since for the past year and a half of using dialysis as my excuse to sit around and do nothing... I have done just that, nothing. So I was kind of wondering what is a reasonable distance to aim for my first time on the treadmill? I dont want to aim too high and feel like a quitter if I cant do it, and I also know sitting around doing nothing for so long muscles and such become weak and it takes time for them to get built back up.

I appreciate any and all suggestions.  ;D

Live Donor Transplant From My Mom 12/14/1999
Perfect Match (6 of 6) Cadaver Transplant On 1/14/2007
Sara
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2006, 06:52:50 PM »

I'm no fitness buff or anything, but when I started treadmilling, I just walked as far as I could until my legs started to get tired.  It was like 1/4 a mile first few times!  :lol;  Then I eventually got up to 2 or so miles at a time, but now I've been slacking off the past few months so I'm sure I'm back down to 1/4 mile now.  Gotta get back on it! 

I think the main thing is, don't hurt yourself, or burn yourself out, because then you won't want to get back on the next day. 

Sara, wife to Joe (he's the one on dialysis)

Hemodialysis in-center since Jan '06
Transplant list since Sept '06
Joe died July 18, 2007
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2006, 06:55:45 PM »

It's supposed to take 30 days to start a new habit.  Get a calendar and start marking them off!   :2thumbsup;

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2006, 07:03:28 PM »

Thanks.  :thumbup;

goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2006, 09:18:30 PM »

One thing for sure is when watching a good movie or even a soap opera, the time goes by faster than walking with nothing on,  or even some jammin' music, that usually gets me motivated  :P

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
tamara
Elite Member

WOO HOO NEW KIDNEY PEEING !!!(Transplant 23/10/07)

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2006, 11:23:50 PM »

I started off on the treadmill about three months ago, started off with 5 minutes at about 4.5-5.0 kilometres an hour. Now am able to go about 6-7 kilometres an hour for about half an hour on the treadmill. Also been walking out in the real world and last night walked for an hour, gee cant even remember the last time I did that!

Listening to music sure helps though when your on the treadmill.

ABO Incompatible Transplant from my loving Partner 23/10/07
after over four years on the D Machine 

Dialysis Sucks and Transplants Don't.................So Far Anyway !!!!!
MattyBoy100

What's dialysis?

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2006, 04:52:31 AM »

Hi Ang,

I'm a bit concerned that in your other posts you mention being too tired to do housework etc and yet here you are talking about acceptable distances on a treadmill!

Just make sure you know what you are doing and that you are up to this.  Wouldn't it be better to go out in the fresh air for a walk or take your kids out for a run in a park or to kick a ball around or something?  It would get you out of the house and give you some space from your father.

Like I say, just a thought.

SCOTLAND NO.1
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2006, 08:45:14 AM »

Hello Matty...when I say too tired to do house work, I mean on a level thats acceptable to my father's standards... hope that makes sense. Also, for the past 2 weeks our basement has finally got finished being remodelled and so therefore our living room, computer room, and my bedroom are now in the basement and where we spend most of our time. However, upstairs is the kitchen, dining room, and my children's bedrooms and therefore I need to go upstairs to eat, get a drink, if my kids are playing in their room I need to go up and check on them, when I give them their bath its upstairs, get them in their PJ's ready for bed and so on... so for the past 2 weeks I have had to go up and down the stairs a lot and at first I would be exhausted by the time I reached the top! Now I can do it multiple times and feel fine, so basically what I'm saying is, I realized by not doing much before I was being lazy and now that I am doing more exercise just by the stairs alone, I feel I have a lot more energy and I want to continue on that path.

As for going outside... "hell no"...  :lol; Sorry, I *hate* the cold weather because I get cold very easy, and sick very easy.. it don't take much for me to get a cold that turns in pnemonia.. Right now it is 7 degrees out, but very windy and the weather man says it feels like -7, so, I won't be going outside unless I have too.

As for giving my dad space, I wouldn't be walking on the treadmill when he is home.. he doesn't get home from work until 4:30pm, so I have all day of space.  :P

Now, if it was summer... I would be outside across the street at the park with my lil ones, they love the park. We have developed lots of indoor activities for the winter.

I appreciate your advice, its good stuff.  :thumbup;

Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2006, 12:27:24 PM »

Now I can do it multiple times and feel fine, so basically what I'm saying is, I realized by not doing much before I was being lazy and now that I am doing more exercise just by the stairs alone, I feel I have a lot more energy and I want to continue on that path.

This is great ... keep it up angela!!
 :beer1;

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2006, 03:09:34 PM »

Great start to a new you!!  :beer1;  I do enough walking at work all day, the doctor tells me it's not the same thing but you know what I say it is.

Do what works best for you hon and you can't go wrong, you will never measure up to what others want because they are not you, and they try to use tough love cause they want to help you but they don't know how. Just try to increase when it's comfortable to do so.
BigSky
Elite Member

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2006, 03:41:49 PM »

I wouldnt go for mileage right off.  Walk at a comfortable speed to you and walk as long as you can.  Note the time, speed and mileage. 
The only reason I say to note mileage is just to give you an idea and record of how far you are walking.  Just increase the time and speed as you feel up to it.
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2006, 09:04:32 PM »

How goes by you Angela515?  Treading the mill?   :)

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2006, 07:34:52 PM »

Well Zach, I woke up Sunday morning throwing up, and my daughter too... I think we caught a bug. Monday we both felt better and ate food again, then today we both were sick again not able to eat. However, now were feeling better again before bedtime, so i hope it's out of our system now. If so, then it's back on the treadmill again tomorrow.  :thumbup;

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »