I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 28, 2024, 06:23:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  A-FIB Anyone? Well I have it! And I am pissed. A-Fib, A Definitive Guide
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: A-FIB Anyone? Well I have it! And I am pissed. A-Fib, A Definitive Guide  (Read 24206 times)
nextnoel

« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2006, 06:26:33 AM »

Kana, very interesting post.  HEY, JOIN IN AND INTRODUCE YOURSELF, DON'T JUST LURK!  I'm pre-dialysis too, and feel because of the info I'm getting on this site that when my turn comes, I'm going to be so darned well-informed, that I'll have an excellent chance to make my remaining years as long and healthy as possible, and avoid a lot of potholes along the way.

Besides, there are lots of situations where I identify with the problems people are having, maybe not from a been-there-done-that point of view, but from a human one, and I hope my experiences dealing with other difficulties in life have given me some empathy and insight that can serve others in a positive sort of way.  (And if I'm wrong, somebody please tell me, because I don't want to be just a "user"!)

So come on out and play!

I can't reach the hill like I used to, but I'm not at a standstill yet!
Epoman
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

Want to help out? Become a Premium Member today

« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2006, 01:51:01 PM »

Hello Epoman!

I would have posted to you yesterday, but had to wait for that darn moderator to manually activate me. :D  ;)
 I know that you will tell me to go post an intro,  but I am a lurker and plan on staying that way for a while yet.  I'm pre-dialysis so I'm not ready to be here fully, but wanted to offer you some encouragement.  Your forum is preparing me for my future. This is my small way of saying thank you to you and your members.  If I can help you then I help them because it is obvious that they care so much for you.   

I'm a register Cardiac Ultrasound tech (echo) and see many people, young and old, in and out of A-fib that live with this condition just fine.  The reason that you probably have a problem with this is because of your enlarged heart caused by your other medical problems.   Do you happen to know the size of your atrium's?  This is key in knowing if you will stay in normal sinus rhythm with medication and/or cardioversion.   

The potential for clots to form are there, but if your heart function(ejection fraction) is still really good then your risk is a lot less.  We typically see elderly people with barely any function with clots, not in the chamber of the heart itself, but in the left atrial appendage.  The appendage is a small pouch in the left atrium that serves no purpose.  I see a lot of young dialysis patients BUT it isn't a common thing to see clots in their heart.  I know that you are terrified and it feels that your world is falling apart once again.  You seem like a very strong person and I know that you will do very well with this after you absorb it all. 

They normally start you out on medication and if that doesn't work then they would need to cardiovert you.

This is exactly what our hospital does.
Most of our patients come in 1 1/2 hours prior to having a Transesphogeal Echo and Cardioversion and leave a couple hours after the  procedure.  We start an IV and make sure that you haven't had anything to eat or drink in the past 6 hours.  You will sign a consent.  They will sit you up and listen to your lungs and put a large patch on your chest and back.  They will then hook you up to the EKG monitor, Blood pressure cuff,  Pulse Oximetry and Oxygen.  They will normally have 1 nurse, Doctor and Echo tech in the room. 
They start by spraying your throat three times with cetacaine or other numbing agent.  My patients always tell me that that is the worst part of the entire test.  Rotten bananas is what it smells like, cheap whiskey is what it tastes like.   They then will give you something to make you sleepy or nothing at all if you want to be awake for it.  We do have a few patients that will go thru the TEE without sedation.  Me, I'd want the drugs if they are giving them!  :)

After you are sleepy they will give you a bite block to bite on and then put the TEE scope to the back of your throat and ask you to swallow.  The scope is about as big around as your little pinky finger and most patients have no problem swallowing it.  When they get the scope down they will look at your heart from the esophagus and briefly from the stomach.  You might feel a bit of pressure when they move the scope around, but many people don't and are surprised when we tell them we are finished.

We do TEE's vs Echo's because the appendage can NOT be seen on a surface(chest) Echocardiogram. 

After they pull out the scope they will give you more sedation for the cardioversion.  Many many many people go thru a cardioversion without remembering a thing when given more of the same drugs they gave for the TEE.  I do think there are people out there that are not given enough sedation and do remember, so that being said...I'd personally demand that someone from anesthesia be there to sedate me.  If they don't honor that wish then when they try to wake you up and you hear them, open your eyes or move. 

They will then shock you back into normal rhythm, get an EKG to confirm it and then take you back to your room. 

I hope that I didn't scare you more and some of the stuff helped you understand a bit more.  It is important to know what your heart size measures and how well it is squeezing.  Ask them to send you a copy of your Echo report and PM me if you want my opinion on what is viewed as normal, enlarged or severally enlarged.                     

Take care and know that there are many here that care about your well being....even the lurkers.  :)

Thank you for the wonderful post, it was very helpful. Also I went to see the cardiologist and he to assurd me that I can live with A-fib and I will not die from it. I had an "Echo" done and they said it looked good and I have good heart fuction, it is enlarged but not to bad, and the echo tech said I do have a couple of "Murmurs " but she said a lot of people have murmurs. The doctor and I decided to hold off of taking "Coumadin" because of the risks involved and since I am not in "Persistant AF"

So far so good, it has been 4 days that I have been back in "Sinus Rhythm" I have been taking a beta-blocker to keep my rate down and so far so good. My heart rate and BP and have PERFECT the last 4 days. Lets hope it stays that way. When the A-Fib comes back I will try to remain calm and try to remember that I will not die from it and I really don't have to worry unless my pulse rate is really high like 110+ or higher. The main goal is to get my rate down to minimize symptoms.

I will keep you all updated.

- Epoman

- Epoman
Owner/Administrator
13+ Years In-Center Hemo-Dialysis. (NO Transplant)
Current NxStage & PureFlow User.

Please help us advertise, post our link to other dialysis message boards. You
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2006, 09:19:33 PM »

Good for you, Epoman!
 :beer1;

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2006, 10:05:09 PM »

What did i tell ya?? mmhmmm, but do you listen to meeee?? nooooo, you have to have a "doctor" tell you that your fine *rolls eyes* ::)   Boss, i am just glad your fine, take care of yourself, Epokid, your wife and well, WE ALL NEED YOU ;) ;) :grouphug;

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2006, 05:39:32 AM »

I was wrong when I said I didn't see the A-Fib thread. I did.. I just forgot what the heck A-Fib meant. I am glad they said you can live with this but hopefully they will give you any advice you need along the way.

Also it is a good thing you are on daily hemo as I find that inclinic my pulse goes up to 140 which would not be good with AF, am I right? Hope things stay good and get better.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2006, 05:41:15 AM by angieskidney » Logged

FREE Donor List for all Kidney Patients!

diagnosed ESRD 1982
PD 2/90 - 4/90, 5/02 - 6/05
Transplant 4/11/90
Hemo 7/05-present (Inclinic Fres. 2008k 3x/wk MWF)
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2006, 05:44:05 AM »

:yahoo; :yahoo; I'm glad the prognosis is good. :yahoo; :yahoo;
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2006, 05:48:37 AM »

:clap; Glad it went well.

Live Donor Transplant From My Mom 12/14/1999
Perfect Match (6 of 6) Cadaver Transplant On 1/14/2007
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2006, 06:18:07 AM »

*kana*  your a class act.  :grouphug;
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2006, 06:22:49 AM »

Hello Epoman!

I would have posted to you yesterday, but had to wait for that darn moderator to manually activate me. :D  ;)
Ya *Kana* IS a class act! Out of all the first posts this was the most caring!  :cuddle;

FREE Donor List for all Kidney Patients!

diagnosed ESRD 1982
PD 2/90 - 4/90, 5/02 - 6/05
Transplant 4/11/90
Hemo 7/05-present (Inclinic Fres. 2008k 3x/wk MWF)
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #34 on: December 08, 2006, 01:28:39 PM »

Well last night my "A-Fib" stopped on it's own after 5 days.  :( I am happy it stopped but now I am worried when it will come back and if it will last that long again. I am still going to go see my cardiologist (again) for advice. Thanks for all the warm thoughts. Just thought I would update everyone and let them know my heart is back to normal rhythm for now.  :-[

- Epoman

Just quoting myself, this whole a-fib situation has really got me depressed and worried more than I have ever been in my whole life. I can and have handled all the other bullshit, but now we are talking about my heart. That's the last straw, I feel like I don't have much time left with my son and it makes me so sad, but not sad for me, but sad knowing that my son will cry so much and feel such a loss, since him and I are so close. Why should such a small person have to feel such pain at such a young age? Why GOD?

Please GOD if you are watching while I type this (I know you are), please let my son become a man before you take his father, I know he won't be the first or the last to lose a father at such a young age. But please Lord I will do anything, I don't care about myself. I just beg you GOD, let me finish the job you let me start in the first place. Let me raise my son, then after he is an adult you can have me. Nick is yours GOD and I am just borrowing him on this earth, you made me his father to guide him and to show him your greatness. So let me live long enough to guide him to you. Keep this beaten heart pumping for a little while longer, if not for my sake, for a little innocent young mans sake. If something were to happen to me, it would alter his life for ever. If I have done things in this lifetime to warrant such a sickened body, then punish me until you see fit, but please do not punish YOUR "other" son Nick.

Well Epoman I think your prayer worked.

:waving;
Epoman
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2006, 09:33:53 PM »

Well last night my "A-Fib" stopped on it's own after 5 days.  :( I am happy it stopped but now I am worried when it will come back and if it will last that long again. I am still going to go see my cardiologist (again) for advice. Thanks for all the warm thoughts. Just thought I would update everyone and let them know my heart is back to normal rhythm for now.  :-[

- Epoman

Just quoting myself, this whole a-fib situation has really got me depressed and worried more than I have ever been in my whole life. I can and have handled all the other bullshit, but now we are talking about my heart. That's the last straw, I feel like I don't have much time left with my son and it makes me so sad, but not sad for me, but sad knowing that my son will cry so much and feel such a loss, since him and I are so close. Why should such a small person have to feel such pain at such a young age? Why GOD?

Please GOD if you are watching while I type this (I know you are), please let my son become a man before you take his father, I know he won't be the first or the last to lose a father at such a young age. But please Lord I will do anything, I don't care about myself. I just beg you GOD, let me finish the job you let me start in the first place. Let me raise my son, then after he is an adult you can have me. Nick is yours GOD and I am just borrowing him on this earth, you made me his father to guide him and to show him your greatness. So let me live long enough to guide him to you. Keep this beaten heart pumping for a little while longer, if not for my sake, for a little innocent young mans sake. If something were to happen to me, it would alter his life for ever. If I have done things in this lifetime to warrant such a sickened body, then punish me until you see fit, but please do not punish YOUR "other" son Nick.

Well Epoman I think your prayer worked.

:waving;

Well sort of, I saw the doc (my regular doctor) today and got my "full" results of my Echo. They said I do have some calcification and my valves are a little stiff and that I do have some fluid around my heart. But overall it's not to bad, considering all the years of dialysis. And that the "pump factor" which is the most important is good.

I asked the doctor to run some "Cultures" to see if I have some kind of infection. I was happy that she spent a lot of time with me and listened to all my worries. So she did order some more blood tests and I had to get stuck 3 times today in my already very sore arm from when I was in ER last week.  :'(

Then to make matters worse, after dialysis last night I had a pain in my broken hip that I have not experienced in years, it has from my hip down to my toes. I took 800mg of Motrin and Tylenol 4, yes not 3 but Tylenol 4, it's more powerful than T3. I had to sleep sitting straight up. The pain is still here today but not as bad as last night.

Lets just say, I have been having a very, very bad past couple of weeks. And I am trying to maintain a positive attitude, but it is very hard. So I ask that those that pray and believe in GOD, please add me to your prayers. And to those that already have been, thank you so much.

On a brighter note, I am still in normal "Sinus Rhythm" and by BP and pulse have been beating like a clock.  :) But my left hip is really throbbing. I hope it gets better my tomarrow.

- Epoman

- Epoman
Owner/Administrator

kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #36 on: December 08, 2006, 09:42:15 PM »

Epoman, I feel for you.  The worry and stress of the last few weeks cannot be good for you.  My advice: Take it easy, love the wife and kid and just enjoy the holidays.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Panda_9

« Reply #37 on: December 09, 2006, 03:01:53 AM »

Try to keep calm and focus on all the other things that are important. I have been getting quite stressed and anxious lately and it just makes it worse. Since I have calmed down a bit the chest pain has eased and the palpitations are minimal. My pulse has also come down from 120+ to around 90-100. No one can tell me why I am tachycardic all the time though  :-\
MattyBoy100

What's dialysis?

« Reply #38 on: December 09, 2006, 03:21:14 PM »

We're all rooting for you here Epoman!   :thumbup;

SCOTLAND NO.1
Black
Elite Member

« Reply #39 on: December 09, 2006, 04:02:44 PM »

Glad it was mostly good news! :2thumbsup; 

Tylenol 4  :o  Wow!  That has to be some damn mean pain!  Hope that hip gets better fast.

You do so much for us, you are always in my prayers. :cuddle;

Lorelle

Husband Mike Diagnosed with PKD Fall of 2004
Fistula Surgery  1/06
Fistula Revision  11/06
Creatinine 6.9  1/07
Started diaysis 2/5/07 on NxStage
Epoman
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #40 on: December 09, 2006, 08:15:25 PM »

Glad it was mostly good news! :2thumbsup; 

Tylenol 4  :o  Wow!  That has to be some damn mean pain!  Hope that hip gets better fast.

You do so much for us, you are always in my prayers. :cuddle;

Yeah it's strong, however I used to take Tylenol 4 AND Vicodin TOGETHER, man that made me dream while I was awake, but I was in a whole lot less pain.  :thumbup;

- Epoman
Owner/Administrator

Epoman
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #41 on: December 21, 2006, 12:52:31 AM »

Well just an update,

It has been about 18 days since I was last in A-Fib and my BP and pulse has been good, my rate was getting a little low like in the 40's but I didn't have symptoms with it. I stopped taking my Atenolol (it helps keep my pulse low) because the cardiologist said to stop it unless my pulse goes above 70 since with Atenolol is was getting to low.

My pulse has not been low, it has be steady in high 50's and low 60's and I have been feeling pretty good. And I have had no problems. I have been taking a little less thyroid med so I think it is somehow related to my thyroid, even if my neph disagrees.

- Epoman
Owner/Administrator

Joe Paul
Elite Member

« Reply #42 on: December 21, 2006, 01:00:42 AM »

Thats great Epoman! We here will continue to keep you and your family in prayer.

"The history of discovery is completed by those who don't follow rules"
Angels are with us, but don't take GOD for granted
Transplant Jan. 8, 2010
nextnoel

« Reply #43 on: December 21, 2006, 08:28:54 AM »

Glad to hear such a good report, Epoman!   :clap;  My theory is that trip from Goofynina had a little something to do with your improvement!  Talk about "therapeutic"!   :)

Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #44 on: December 21, 2006, 09:19:12 AM »

You know that Tito Taco food fight must have kicked started your normal rhythm. :rofl;

Epoman
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #45 on: December 21, 2006, 10:45:09 AM »

Well just an update,

It has been about 18 days since I was last in A-Fib and my BP and pulse has been good, my rate was getting a little low like in the 40's but I didn't have symptoms with it. I stopped taking my Atenolol (it helps keep my pulse low) because the cardiologist said to stop it unless my pulse goes above 70 since with Atenolol is was getting to low.

My pulse has not been low, it has be steady in high 50's and low 60's and I have been feeling pretty good. And I have had no problems. I have been taking a little less thyroid med so I think it is somehow related to my thyroid, even if my neph disagrees.

Well it looks like I spoke to soon, I am back in A-Fib. I woke up this morning and my BP was 140/115 rate 110 and it is VERY irregular.  :'( It looks like I may be in A-Fib for Christmas, since my last attack lasted 5 days.  :( I am trying to remain calm but this is very upsetting, I went to bed last night FINE! What the hell triggered the A-Fib?  >:(

- Epoman
Owner/Administrator

nextnoel

« Reply #46 on: December 21, 2006, 10:49:42 AM »

Isn't it obvious?  The tacos wore off!   :(  You should get to Titos Tacos stat!

Seriously, I'm so sorry!  I wish I could make it better!  You're especially in my thoughts and prayers now!

Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #47 on: December 21, 2006, 01:03:23 PM »

Sorry to hear that, I wonder if you need to get back on the Atenolol. Just a thought.

Bajanne
Member for Life

Goofynina and Epoman - Gone But Not Forgotten

« Reply #48 on: December 21, 2006, 01:17:52 PM »

Hang in there, Epoman!  My prayers and caring thoughts are with you. You will make it through!

"To be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own ...but that which is based on faith"

I LOVE  my IHD family! :grouphug;
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #49 on: December 21, 2006, 09:10:29 PM »

Epoman, may the Christmas season bring you peace and quiet even in your heart rhythms.  I hope you are already feeling better.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »