I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 30, 2024, 09:28:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Involuntary "jerks or spasms" anybody?!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Involuntary "jerks or spasms" anybody?!  (Read 7270 times)
Nan

« on: November 26, 2006, 10:17:31 AM »

SINCE....I have gone into kidney failure, I have noticed that I have these involuntary jerks and spasm's. They seen to be internal, and over my entire body, fingers, hands, arms, thighs, legs, even stomach.  Sometimes these are quit annoying, and embarrassing, like when I am holding something in my hands and I am jerking. I have mentioned this to my dialysis nurses, my nephr, and my internist.  I have just been told it is probably from the toxins that have not been removed from my system from dialysis. I do find that this problem is worse at times than others. Just wondering if others have found this problem?

No matter how your heart is grieving....as long as you keep believing, the dream that you wish will come true!
Diagnosed with PKD in 1994
Started HEMO dialysis June 2006
Started Home Dialysis on cycler February 2007
Had Live donor transplant February 2008
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2006, 11:38:10 AM »

Yours sounds extreme.  What I've noticed while on dialysis is when I start to stretch.......I can't quit.  I can't just life one arm or something.  I have to stretch and then my whole body goes into it.  I look like a spaz.  Also, when I almost fall asleep I'll jerk awake.

Fighter

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2006, 01:22:04 PM »

On the night following dialysis (I do evening sessions), I often get these little spasm-like movements in my calf. It doesn't really bother me but it's strange and I can't stop it even if I try to keep my leg really still. I think it only happens when I'm slightly under my dry weight, so it could be cramp-related. I feel like sometimes these tiny spasms are preludes to cramps, though most of the time I get through the night without cramping.
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2006, 01:47:18 PM »

Sometimes I get like little cramp like spasms inside my tummy where my PD cath is. Usually it happens when I bend over to tie my shoes or pick something up... idunno why... it dont hurt though, its wierd.

Live Donor Transplant From My Mom 12/14/1999
Perfect Match (6 of 6) Cadaver Transplant On 1/14/2007
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2006, 03:52:06 PM »

I have jumped awake at times when I am sleeping. Annoying when you are having a real good dream and then go back to sleep and you dream a sucky dream :(

FREE Donor List for all Kidney Patients!

diagnosed ESRD 1982
PD 2/90 - 4/90, 5/02 - 6/05
Transplant 4/11/90
Hemo 7/05-present (Inclinic Fres. 2008k 3x/wk MWF)
knmiller

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2006, 11:18:59 AM »

I've had similar situations where my legs will start twitching.  I'm concerned at first thinking that a massive cramp is coming down the pipe, but they usually don't progress that far....just twitch.  It's annoying as hell.  It's usally in my lower thigh or right calf.  Nowhere else...strange.

jonn r

my little girl maiah

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2006, 01:22:24 PM »

welcome to my world........i get this every night while i am in bed it happnes the most....i HATE it...i joke about it sometimes with my girlfriend....it helps me forget about it atleast for a little while
Joe Paul
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2006, 01:27:36 PM »

I guess in a way I'm lucky in that its just fingers or my thumbs that go into "jerking" spells. Seems to be more in my right arm, thats where my fistula is.

"The history of discovery is completed by those who don't follow rules"
Angels are with us, but don't take GOD for granted
Transplant Jan. 8, 2010
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2006, 07:17:39 PM »

I have RLS, and what yu describe happening sounds lie RLs, but if it's not, it still sounds like what happens to me sometimes, but hasn't in a long time beause I take Requip, which is for RLS.. don't kow if you have tried that but it works wonders. I ued to take a medicine for Parkinsons Disease (i dont got it, but they gave it to me for RLS before Requip came out..) and it helped with that jerking problem too, b/c as you know ppl with Parkinsons have a lot of jerking and twitching, and that medicine stops it. Ask your doctor. There is something they can give you to help you.. you shouldnt have to suffer evrynight.  :2thumbsup;

Live Donor Transplant From My Mom 12/14/1999
Perfect Match (6 of 6) Cadaver Transplant On 1/14/2007
AlasdairUK

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2006, 03:17:11 AM »

If this happens, what are your sodium, calcium levels? As this could be causing the cramps.

If I go a bit dry I get a spasm in my ribcage.

94 - PD for 3 months
94 - HD Permcath for 3 months
95 - RLD Transplant 10 years
2005 - HD Permcath 6 months
2006 - 2008 HDF Fistula
2008 - 2nd Transplant
Ken Shelmerdine
Elite Member

Life's a bitch and then you go on dialysis!

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2006, 05:44:07 AM »

My wife Rita says I twitch a lot in my sleep.

Ken
billable

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2006, 06:19:52 AM »

My wife had such severe jerking while she was on PD that neither of us could sleep.  I found the following information very helpful.  I printed it for our doctor and highlighted the parts that I felt were helpful.

I wasn't comfortable with requip because it was fairly new and hadn't been tested in ESRD.

http://www.rls.org/NetCommunity/Document.Doc?&id=6.

The treatment recommendations in here were what our doctor used and it worked.  I hope it helps you

www.caregivertalk.org
Online Support Group
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2006, 04:39:56 AM »

My wife Rita says I twitch a lot in my sleep.
Ya I didn't realize how much I jump and twitch in my sleep til Sandman told me just how bad I am! I really didn't realize!!  :o

My wife had such severe jerking while she was on PD that neither of us could sleep. I found the following information very helpful. I printed it for our doctor and highlighted the parts that I felt were helpful.

I wasn't comfortable with requip because it was fairly new and hadn't been tested in ESRD.

http://www.rls.org/NetCommunity/Document.Doc?&id=6.

The treatment recommendations in here were what our doctor used and it worked. I hope it helps you
WOW thank you for that link!!  :thumbup; :thumbup;

FREE Donor List for all Kidney Patients!

diagnosed ESRD 1982
PD 2/90 - 4/90, 5/02 - 6/05
Transplant 4/11/90
Hemo 7/05-present (Inclinic Fres. 2008k 3x/wk MWF)
nextnoel

« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2006, 08:15:02 AM »

I dated an involuntary jerk once.

Sorry, I couldn't resist!

I can't reach the hill like I used to, but I'm not at a standstill yet!
sandman

« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2006, 04:18:01 PM »

Wow.  I was just reading that link and I came across this....

Because RLS may be the only clinical indication of iron deficiency, clinicians should determine the serum ferritin level in all patients with RLS, especially those with a history of gastrointestinal blood loss, disorders or medications predisposing to gastrointestinal blood loss, menorrhagia, frequent blood donation, or recent onset or worsening of symptoms. If the serum ferritin level concentration is in the abnormal range for the specific laboratory (usually <20mcg/L) or percent iron saturation is low (generally <20%), a cause of iron deficiency should be pursued and replacement treatment instituted. A serum ferritin concentration lower than 45 to 50mcg/L has been associated with an increased severity of RLS,80,81 and therapy can be attempted in patients with levels in this range on a case-by-case basis. A common regimen is 325 mg of ferrous sulphate three times a day in combination with 100 to 200 mg of vitamin C with each dose to enhance absorption.
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2006, 04:55:29 PM »

Wow.  I was just reading that link and I came across this....

Because RLS may be the only clinical indication of iron deficiency, clinicians should determine the serum ferritin level in all patients with RLS, especially those with a history of gastrointestinal blood loss, disorders or medications predisposing to gastrointestinal blood loss, menorrhagia, frequent blood donation, or recent onset or worsening of symptoms. If the serum ferritin level concentration is in the abnormal range for the specific laboratory (usually <20mcg/L) or percent iron saturation is low (generally <20%), a cause of iron deficiency should be pursued and replacement treatment instituted. A serum ferritin concentration lower than 45 to 50mcg/L has been associated with an increased severity of RLS,80,81 and therapy can be attempted in patients with levels in this range on a case-by-case basis. A common regimen is 325 mg of ferrous sulphate three times a day in combination with 100 to 200 mg of vitamin C with each dose to enhance absorption.

Is this for hemodialysis patients?  The vitamin C dose is a bit high for us.

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
sandman

« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2006, 06:28:26 PM »

Actually, im not sure zach.  But I got that from the link that billable posted so....
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »