I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 29, 2024, 10:33:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  What about exercise?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: What about exercise?  (Read 6652 times)
Bajanne
Member for Life

Goofynina and Epoman - Gone But Not Forgotten

« on: October 08, 2005, 05:25:37 AM »

Are you guys told anything about exercise?  I used to go to the gym, but I forgot to ask the doctor about that.  I haven't been because I was hospitalized and then off the island, etc.  But I don't know if exercise is considered good for dialysis patients.  I have some pounds to lose.  What do you think?  Are any of you exercising?

"To be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own ...but that which is based on faith"

I LOVE  my IHD family! :grouphug;
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2005, 05:42:08 AM »

Yes, exercise is good.  But, check with your Dr. first.  They really push exercise, but I hate to exercise almost as much as I hate dialysis.  Hey!!!  I could start a new website ihateexercise.com!!!!  :)   Only I don't know how to do the web creation stuff.  I'll leave that up to EPOMAN. 

I have 2 little miniature pinchers (dogs) and they get my butt outside at least 3 times a week for a nice run in the park.  I walk and they run.  But, I'm glad I have them to force me to exercise a little bit.   8) ;D

Bajanne
Member for Life

Goofynina and Epoman - Gone But Not Forgotten

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2005, 08:37:50 AM »

Thanks for your reply.  Actually, the part of the gym that I use mostly is the treadmill.  I will start back with that.

"To be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own ...but that which is based on faith"

I LOVE  my IHD family! :grouphug;
tamara
Elite Member

WOO HOO NEW KIDNEY PEEING !!!(Transplant 23/10/07)

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2005, 08:04:03 PM »

I started off doing light things like pilates and yoga, and found that hard enough.It was all for the reason that i had to lose weight to be able to be put on the transplant list.And yes i have finally done it .It has taken over twelve months and in total i have lost 23 kilos or the equivalent of just over 50 pounds.I was slack at times but the more motivated I got knowing what the result was getting on the list and maybe my life wouldnt be on hold.Waiting for that phone call now.So better go see ya !!!!
« Last Edit: December 31, 2006, 09:54:28 PM by tamara » Logged

ABO Incompatible Transplant from my loving Partner 23/10/07
after over four years on the D Machine 

Dialysis Sucks and Transplants Don't.................So Far Anyway !!!!!
Marina

God Bless my donor family!! :)

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2005, 07:09:31 PM »

I'm  on PD,  I  was  told  and  encouraged to  excercise.           Staying  active  helps  with  weight,  and  in  my  case  with  my  diabetes.        I  feel  that it  also  helps  me  reduce  stress,  (it's  the  whole  BODY  MIND  SOUL  thing).              I was  told  I  could  pretty  much  do  any  type  of  exercise  except  for  weightlifting.                      i  walk  alot and  feel  great  when  I  do.

"Anything is possible, if  you  BELIEVE....."  ~~~Joel  Osteen

"Yesterday is history, Tomorrow is a mystery, Today is a gift..... That is why it is called the present"

Nov 1979 ~ Diabetes 
Apr. 2004- Nov 2010 ~ CAPD
Nov 9, 2010 ~  Received the  THE  GIFT OF LIFE at 
California Pacific  Medical  center  (CPMC)  in San  Francisco,  CA
Epoman
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

Want to help out? Become a Premium Member today

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2005, 03:05:05 PM »

Yes exercise is good just do not left too heavy of a weight with your dialysis arm. But "Cardio" workouts are great for your heart and will definately extend your life. compared to someone who just sits around all day.

- Epoman
Owner/Administrator
13+ Years In-Center Hemo-Dialysis. (NO Transplant)
Current NxStage & PureFlow User.

Please help us advertise, post our link to other dialysis message boards. You
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2006, 09:15:34 PM »

How about starting to exercise in 2007?

and don't forget this thread as well.     :beer1;

http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=415.0
« Last Edit: December 31, 2006, 09:18:58 PM by Zach » Logged

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
Lucinda

Life is great!

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2006, 10:19:12 PM »

My doctor told me to do as much as I felt I was capable of.  I have been a bit slack the past few weeks because I have been so anaemic and I have had big problems with my graft and I just don't feel myself at all.

Went for a walk this morning and although I feel tired now, mentally I am in a better place.

When I first started excercising last year - 37 kilos heavier than I am today - I started by walking around the clothesline twice and built it up over the week to walking around it 10 times by the end of the first week.  I got up to walking about 5 kilometres a day and felt great for it.  Never run....too hard on your joints - especially if you have a bit of weight to lose.

I am just about to purchase a dance machine and put a bit of fun into it now......I still have weight to lose but much healthier now.
Sara
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2007, 06:30:14 AM »

I'm thinking I'm going to keep a few cans of vegetables on the coffee table so maybe while Joe and I are watching TV we can do curls with the veggies.   :lol;   It's something.   :thumbup;

Sara, wife to Joe (he's the one on dialysis)

Hemodialysis in-center since Jan '06
Transplant list since Sept '06
Joe died July 18, 2007
del
Elite Member

del and willowtreewren meet

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2007, 08:16:01 PM »

You should exercise for cardio reasons.  I don't think is a good idea to lift weights with your fistula arm although the doc who did fistula told hubby to do whatever he wanted with that arm as long as when he lifted the weight wasn't on the fistula cutting off the blood supply.

Don't take your organs to heaven.  Heaven knows we need them here.
goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2007, 09:34:15 PM »

Now that the new year is upon us, i swore to my hubby that i will get on the treadmill once a day (at least) and there may be some days where i just may turn the damn thing on  ::)

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
AlasdairUK

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2007, 05:26:31 AM »

Everyone should exercise. Use a bit of common sense and don't over do it with your new found excitement towards exercising. It is in our own interests to stay healthy.

94 - PD for 3 months
94 - HD Permcath for 3 months
95 - RLD Transplant 10 years
2005 - HD Permcath 6 months
2006 - 2008 HDF Fistula
2008 - 2nd Transplant
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2007, 05:28:49 AM »

Now that the new year is upon us, i swore to my hubby that i will get on the treadmill once a day (at least) and there may be some days where i just may turn the damn thing on  ::)

Don't plug it in that way at least you can say you tried but the machine didn't work.
jasperkat

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2007, 09:55:10 AM »

My husband execises 5 days a week on an exercise bike.  Not a lot of tension but 25 minutes.  They are thrilled at the dialysis unit because a year ago he was so weak and sick he was in a nursing home.  He worked up from 10 minutes and plans to go to 30.  I think it makes a world of difference.  He hates it but does it because it is good for him and it makes me happy.
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2007, 03:41:04 PM »

I've been trying.  I set the darn exercise machine up every day, and get on it.  On my good days, I manage about 20 minutes.    Some days, the only exercise I get is manhandling the darn thing around the living room.  I'll step up on it, take a couple of strides beforethe ceiling will spin, and I sit back down.  Yesterday, I stopped at 10 minutes, but at least I tried.  Dialysis today was an exercise in abject misery, so I'm going to wait until much later tonight to even attempt anything.

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2007, 09:38:10 PM »

JBeany!! The fact that you are trying is so important.  And that you keep on trying, that's really great!!  Some days you only do 10 minutes (nothing to sneeze at) and some days it's 20 minutes.  Some days I can't do even 10 minutes. So keep it up.

:cuddle;

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2007, 03:35:00 AM »

I've been trying.  I set the darn exercise machine up every day, and get on it.  On my good days, I manage about 20 minutes.    Some days, the only exercise I get is manhandling the darn thing around the living room.  I'll step up on it, take a couple of strides beforethe ceiling will spin, and I sit back down.  Yesterday, I stopped at 10 minutes, but at least I tried.  Dialysis today was an exercise in abject misery, so I'm going to wait until much later tonight to even attempt anything.

Don't be too hard on yourself! Your doing more than me.
charee
Elite Member

« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2007, 06:38:33 PM »

How about starting to exercise in 2007?

and don't forget this thread as well.     :beer1;

http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=415.0

Well I started today I got the push bike out and rode to work its only 1km one way but its a start When I get used to that I'll go further going to try and ride everyday  ;D

Home Hemo  18 months
Live donor transplant 28th October 2008
from my beautiful sister
Royal Prince Alfred Sydney Australia

Live donors rock
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »